Start by marking “Human Anatomy & Physiology” as Want to Read:
Human Anatomy & Physiology

Human Anatomy & Physiology

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  759 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
With each edition of her top-selling Human Anatomy & Physiology text, Elaine N. Marieb draws on her own, unique experience as a full-time A&P professor and part-time nursing student to explain concepts and processes in a meaningful and memorable way. With the Seventh Edition, Dr. Marieb has teamed up with co-author Katja Hoehn to produce the most exciting edition y ...more
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 1296 pages
Published January 4th 2006 by Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1985)

Duchess Nicole
I READ THIS BOOK!!!

While A&P is interesting to a point, I did NOT enjoy this class or this book.

However, since I did read Every. Single. Word. in this book, and spent the last eight months of my life as if this were my bible, I am OWNING it! I read this book, and am currently in finals week, going into finals with a solid A, thank you very much!!!

I can't really write a conclusive review on how good the text is, but I feel like my brain is exploding with knowledge right now. My study buddy a
Liza
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Textbook, you cost far too much money. I mean, really? I work in publishing, and I know how it's all a rip-off, but come on. That much? That's ridiculous. Sure you have pretty pictures of clavicles and great diagrams of the Action Potential that helped me understand, but I just know that money is not going to the artists or authors or lowly editorial assistants. So give them more money or make the book cheaper.

Textbook, you are too heavy. It hurt to have you in my bag with one other heavy thing
Janet
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me smarter.
mpfrom
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this book got me through two semesters of A&P. Now, on to Microbiology. I will be keeping this book. It served as a great reference for learning the body systems.
Moseka Garcia
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an intense and overwhelming class. There is just so much information to know. I'm happy to say I am in FINALS WEEK, and can kiss this class goodbye.

......only until next semester when I will then take AP2 :(

UPDATE: I got an A in AP2!!!!!!
Amanda
Jun 22, 2009 added it
School books count, right??? This is a dense one, but necessary for nursing school. Anyone know of any good nursing books (fiction or non) that are entertaining?? Do let me know!
Linsey Duckett
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No doubt I'll be reading this over and over for the rest of the semester. And yes it does still count as a book!!
Ashley the Magnificent™
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
Useful text, got an A. Previous edition was better. Screw you and your unnecessary "updates" to overcharge broke med students - and then remove information!
Bobbi Jo
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
This is going to be possibly my all time favorite non-fictional book. I can't imagine returning it to the book store for a cash payout, regardless of how much of the purchase price I get back. NEVER LETTING IT GO. Very knowledge. So fascinate. Much enlighten. I wouldn't say to go out and buy this new: the list price is very prohibitive!! I would say if you find any edition of this in a used bookstore for less than $50 you should fight off tigers to buy it. Everyone should become familiar with th ...more
عبد الرحمان
this textbook is a work of a genius, a must-have for every medical student, it contains a very rich & illustrative diagrams that makes understanding concepts very easy, and an easy language that makes informations pass throug my brain so quickly. It has been a wonderful journey in the human body from molecules to reproduction of a hole new body, thanks a lot Elain Marieb for this Masterpiece.
Stella Maria
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Took my last undergraduate anatomy final on Friday and couldn't have been more satisfied. This book is detailed when it needs to be and illustrated in a way that makes it more understanding and memorable. One of the best classes and heaviest book I've truly learned a lot from.
Paul felix
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book
Laurie
Dec 29, 2015 added it
I read this book throughout 2010 in conjunction with viewing Marian Diamond's videos. Below is what I posted on my Neurons Firing blog about the videos and the book:

MARION DIAMOND’S Anatomy Lectures
I have become a huge fan of the youtube Human Anatomy lectures by Professor Marian Diamond of UC Berkeley. I purchased a 99% like-new copy (for just over $40 on amazon) of the Human Anatomy & Physiology text, sixth edition, and have been reading the chapters in concert with viewing the videos. Her
Kasey
This was the text book for my General A&P class, but it is not the first book I go to when I have a question. It is way too much information for my class. Class has a 40% pass rate, so I don't think it's that the class is really easy, but this book is so in-depth it's way more information than I care to cloud my brain with. It sounds awful, but I really like The Complete Idiot's Guide to A&P. I gets to the point of what I need to know and has a lot of really helpful tips & tricks to ...more
Chris
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Logically organized in a linear way, with each subsequent chapter building on the last, progressing from Cell Chemistry to Anatomy to Physiology. Densely-packed (to my mind) with information but pretty accessible, with many high-quality diagrams, tables, figures, etc. I have no basis for comparison with other texts on market (maybe there are "better," more technical, books designed for medical students?), but this appears to be a solid choice for nursing A&P courses.
Will
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am sooooo not a fan. Granted, the topic is complicated. But this text is way too dense, and not explanatory as a good textbook would be. The organization by system leads to absurdities: we learn about one aspect of the liver when reading about the lymphatic system, and then learn about a wholly different function when reading about the digestive system, and neither time does the text tell us about the functional totality of the liver. The liver deserves better! It is awesome!
Bobby
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great intro to both Anatomy & Physiology for the complete tyro.

The first chapters on biochemistry brought back all the fantastic knowledge I had forgotten since high school.

Even though it's a textbook, it's still best read cover to cover like a novel as the chemistry builds to simple anatomy which then yields to physiological structuring.

A fun bedtime read.
Fanta J
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite A and P textbook ever. it is comprehensive, readable without big and unnecessary words. I will be using it for A-N-P I, and II and i'm very happy with it so far. the only thing i dislike about this book is the price, so for those who can't afford a new one get a older edition. same thing trust me my friend is using the 3rd ed and he's A student.
Jman7689
Make me pee my heD o76
Becki
Apr 21, 2009 is currently reading it
Shelves: text-books
It's Anatomy & Physiology... does it get more exciting than this???

Here we go... Anat. & Phys., part 2.. One more semester to go and I'm done with this book
Sancheng
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is currently my life..so by God I am adding it in. It is a grand tale of love lost and ever present hope. I highly recommend it.
Josh
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, science, anatomy
Excellent textbook for A & P.
P
May 10, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the textbook for my class. Most of the illustrations are very helpful. The text and order of introducing subjects can be confusing, but mostly good and clear.
Dee Dirienzo
Text book
Archee
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Neuro sucks but Marieb makes it so much easier.
AZ
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Best book on anatomy and physiology I came across. Even though it wasn't the book our class was using I decided to return the prescribed textbook and read this one for its clarity and thoroughness.
Rick Leach
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pretty amazing book. Off to micro!
Nomes
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-books, read-2013
An excellent basic physiology text, well explained and clear diagrams.
Molli
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
As much as I would love to rate this a one star, it was good for class and made it easier to understand the materia.
Katherine
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a fine text.
  • Principles of Anatomy and Physiology
  • Medical Terminology: A Short Course
  • Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (Thumb Index))
  • Neuroscience
  • Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain
  • Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases
  • Medical Physiology, Updated Edition: With Student Consult Online Access
  • Medical Terminology: An Illustrated Guide
  • Physiology (Board Review Series)
  • Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults And Children
  • Literature: An Introduction to Reading and Writing
“The appendicular skeleton (ap0en-dik9u-lar) consists of the
bones of the upper and lower limbs and the girdles (shoulder
bones and hip bones) that attach the limbs to the axial skeleton
(colored gold in Figure 6.1). Bones of the limbs help us move from
place to place (locomotion) and manipulate our environment.”
0 likes
“Cardiac muscle tissue occurs only in the heart (the body’s
blood pump), where it constitutes the bulk of the heart walls.
Like skeletal muscle cells, cardiac muscle cells are striated (see
Figure 4.9b, p. 139), but cardiac muscle is not voluntary. Indeed,
it can and does contract without being stimulated by the nervous system. Most of us have no conscious control over how fast
our heart beats.”