Start by marking “The Empress of Xytae (Tales of Inthya, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Empress of Xytae (Tales of Inthya, #4)

The Empress of Xytae

(Tales of Inthya #4)

Crown Princess Ioanna of Xytae has kept her truthsayer blessing a secret for twenty years. In any other nation, her powerful magic would be cause for celebration. But Xytae’s patron is the war goddess Reygmadra, and the future empress is expected to be a brutal warrior.

Reserved and peaceful by nature, Ioanna knows the court sees her as a disappointment. She does her best t
Published December 30th 2019 by NineStar Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Empress of Xytae, please sign up.
Bitterblue It is not! The fifth book, Daughter of the Moon, is scheduled for fall 2020. Maybe later because of what's been happening everywhere. The main charact…moreIt is not! The fifth book, Daughter of the Moon, is scheduled for fall 2020. Maybe later because of what's been happening everywhere. The main characters will be Ioanna's murderous sister plus someone we haven't met yet, I think.

The author's plan was to write six books in this series, and I think that's still the case. It probably depends on how well the books sell.(less)

Start your review of The Empress of Xytae (Tales of Inthya, #4)
Lex Kent
I’m definitely hooked on this series. This is book four in the Tales of Inthya series. I’m happy to say that this was another enjoyable installment. Not my favorite of the series, but I enjoyed it and had a lot of fun reading it so no big complaints. These are epic fantasy wlw romances that take place all around this world Calvin has created. One book we are in a land of Dragons, the next we are in the land of war, each country Calvin takes us to is exciting and new. And while we get to learn ab ...more
F.
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a real soft spot for Calvin’s writing. The odd couples - one footloose, fancy free, wild spirited, the other dutiful and gentle and kind - the journeys of discovery, the odd dragon.
This has a lovely story, and returns to the - to me - weird fascination with truth and the inability to tell lies. You’d be kicked out of your social group and living alone and miserable in no time if you were unable to tell lies.

And if you missed your favourite Paladin Orsina and reformed chaos goddess Aelia.
Clarissa
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-rep, arc
It was so good to go back into this universe, and to start fresh with new characters. We also got to see some familiar faces as well, which - seeing as Book 2 will always be a personal favorite of mine - I loved.

I have always been a fan of this series. I loved the universe, the magic, the characters, and even the war going on with the gods above, so I’m always excited when a new book comes out.

Was this one of my favorites in the series? No. But I still enjoyed it a lot. The characters didn’t hi
MZ
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great installment in the Tales of Inthya series. I’m a fan of this series. What I enjoy so much about this series is that even though the topics can be tough (take this book there is war, death, deceit) they always have a light and even cute feeling to them (this book has a few slightly darker scenes near the end though). Normally, I prefer somewhat grittier books, but for this series it just works perfectly for me.

The characters are again balanced with one more serious, gentle and resp
AnnMaree Of Oz
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Not as much fun as previous installments, but I enjoyed seeing Aelia and Orsina again and having Aelia tell off the flighty Vitaliya.

I actually did like her character but her incessant whining and wanting to runaway and feel sorry for herself made me want to slap her and I was so glad when that did happen! Lol.

Ioanna was solid but the ending I felt was a bit too OTT and unexplained and the cliffhanger frustrating!

But I guess that means I just have to wait for book 5 now!
XR
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
There's been so much going on these past couple of days that I had to take a break from reading and have only finished this book. How utterly annoying!

Anyhow, I enjoyed the fourth addition to the Tales of Inthya series. It was nice to see what became of little Ionna and it was even better to see that she finds happiness.
Colleen Corgel
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
There's not much to say here but that the Tales of Inthya is an excellent, well rounded series. I love that the plot of each of the books are their own, but can still be tied back to the world at large - this is a tough balance to keep, but Calvin seems to do it well. I have a couple of points that I found to be weaker - and something that happens in most of the Inthya books - it still has trouble pushing the action throughout the book, so when the concluding action happens it is pretty much cra ...more
Diana Green
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtqa
I love how reliable Effie Calvin is in writing enjoyable books! While Daughter of the Sun remains my favorite in this series, The Empress of Xytae is a fun read. The world building is rich and interesting, enhanced by a smooth easy writing style. I liked the inclusion of Orsina and Aelia from an earlier book, as they are great characters, and it's nice to see them a few years later.

Ioanna and Vitaliya aren't as dynamic together as past couples in this series. There is something a little bland an
Valentine Wheeler
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This series is super fun. I’m loving the expanding world, and the appearances of characters from previous books. I think the MC in this one might be my favorite.
Sophie
This series is the actual cutest. Inthya is my happy place. The Empress of Xytae is yet another stunner from Effie Calvin. I loved everything we learn about the gods, temples and magic. I love the large cast of both mortals and goddesses (Orsina & Aelia! my heart). I loved Ioanna's shy and introverted nature, and her care and attentiveness. Vitaliya made me laugh so many times (Burning is learning; Someone would have to run away screaming for help; No, I've died of shock), she is a true light in ...more
Mike
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful book in this series.
Emmy
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I love this entire series, and this book was every bit as exciting, romantic, and intriguing as the others. While each book stands alone, I can't wait for the next installment in the series!
Linnas
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this series. Daughter of the Sun is still my favorite, but this one was great as well. I look forward to reading Daughter of the Moon when it comes out.
Jessi Jameson
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
TOO SHORT.
(view spoiler)
I just love how this author can give me fluffly f/f couples but at the same time I get a really interesting overarching plot. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE.
Prince Kou
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Effie's books are all so wholesome and cute. If you loved the previous ones, you can't miss this. Also Orsina and Aelia are back! And fluffyness!
Jules Gallagher
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
God I love this series and this world. The Empress of Xytae did not disappoint and I devoured it. It was interesting, paced well, and well-written. I was thrilled to see the return of Orsina and Aelia, who are my favorite characters in the series. Vitaliya and Ioanna were both great characters - Ioanna especially. I love that each character in this series is so different. Calvin does a great job of giving each an individual voice. Esofi, Adale, Orsina, Aelia, Ioanna and Vitaliya are all so inter ...more
Matilda
I was rather excited to get back to Xytae and I was satisfied in part. Calvin's stories are like candy, they're fun and sweet and when you just want some escapism they're perfect. However, I'd have enjoyed a bit more character development. The couple in this one had kind of the same dynamic as in "Daughter of the sun", and the parts that could have distinguished them weren't that developed (the truthsayer bit could have been added a lot of tension in the relationship, or Calvin could have shown ...more
Anders
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this entire series, and this one brings back characters from earlier books who get their turn in Iolar's light. This book shows that the author is not afraid to move the timeline forward a bit, which is a good way of making Inthya (the world of the books) the main focal point of the books, rather than a specific character. The characters from my favorite books make another appearance, though, which I appreciate! The book continues to flesh out the theology of the world, the stakes for the ...more
Mia
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was actually a 3.5 star read for me. There were things I liked a lot about this book. The plot was interesting, but it didn't feel taken seriously in some spots. I didn't like Vitaliya, but that's a personal taste thing. Her character just grated on my nerves. I also felt like their romance didn't make any sense nor had any chemistry, which kind of killed the climactic scene for me because their romance was a reason that led to it. Ioanna was interesting as a main character. Of course ...more
Jamie Lizbeth
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Finished it last night. Has become my 2nd favourite after Daughter of the Sun. I like the inclusion of the gods and some familiar faces coming back from that book. I wish there was a bit more but I'll wait patiently until the next book to ask my questions.

**Spoilers ahead**
I loved Daughter of the Sun so the return to Xytae and seeing Ioanna as a grown woman was a happy return. Her relationship with Vitaliya moved kind of fast but with gods and goddesses actively meddling, I can see why it
Jess Hale
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this more than the previous in the series, largely I think due to the characters, who had a lovely dynamic and sweet romance. (Even if it IS fast. C’mon, even in a romance story you can date for longer than a fortnight before promising to spend your lives together!)

I liked Ioanna, even while I struggled with slightly inconsistent characterisation - her appearance as a child in book #2 she seemed confident, self-possessed and a little fey. By this book she’s beaten down and quite quiet
whataslacker
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would give this three and a half stars, but will round it up to 4. Kept my interest the whole way through. I find it difficult reading a story with names and places I cannot pronounce as it causes me to stumble every time I come across them. Other than that I found the story interesting and it stands on its own even though this is book four in the series. I had never read the others and don't feel I missed too much except maybe a bit of history or backstory on the world itself. Perhaps I will ...more
Jason
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyable series

This is a really enjoyable series and I can’t wait for the next book to be out. That being said, I think this book could’ve benefitted from another 15 pages or an epilogue.

There are quite a few Questions about the fate and relationship of a few key players in the story and I was interested in what is going to happen with those relationships both mortal and divine.

Overall looking forward to the next book.

Alex
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yaaaaasssss

Another great addition to this universe!
I’m forever excited to read these tales as they come.
This is hella gay!! And super fluffy.
I’ll be honest here though, I believe that the struggles these characters go through are only become more complex with every book. The depth of the world building is only becoming more colorful. I have questions but I feel that the answers are only going to come when more books come out.
Bailey Rox
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great series, I always love this series from book 1. And book 2 is always my favorite and that was where we met Ioanna as a child. I always wonder what will happen to her, so glad that we can read about her in this book.

Reading this book make me want to reread the series from book 1, it is so enjoyable to read

The world building is amazing, and I really love the character. I wonder what will happen to the goddess of warfare (can't spell her name) after this.
Nhan Phan
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic follow up to Daughter of the Sun

The world building continue to be top notch in the series 4th installment. The pantheon is so well represented and the interactions between the characters simply fascinating. Now if the author would dedicate a whole book to Dayluue, that would be amazing!
Best Lesfic Reviews
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interfering Gods, magical powers, sibling jealousy, succession drama – this is a complete fantasy entertainer.

Read the full review @ https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/201...
J P
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it.

I have happily torn through the whole series and am considering rereading them all before I start a new book. Charming, funny, original, refreshing, I can't remember the last time I simply enjoyed a series of books so much.
Jessica DiFelice (thefanaticreader)
I really liked this one. I really enjoyed the romance and the plot of this. It would have benefitted from more fleshed out characters and more time to really get into the climax of the story, but overall it was enjoyable.
Bitterblue
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ff
It was fun.

• Soldier of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #2)
  • Witching Moon
  • Aurora's Angel
  • Treasured
  • Dragonoak: The Sky Beneath The Sun (Dragonoak, #2)
  • Nottingham: The True Story of Robyn Hood
  • Breaking Legacies
  • The Fate of Stars (Sea and Stars, #1)
  • Dragonoak: The Complete History of Kastelir
  • Princess of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #1)
  • Good Enough to Eat (The Vampire Diet, #1)
  • Dragonoak: Gall and Wormwood (Dragonoak, #3)
  • Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)
  • Entangled
  • Iron Heart (Crier's War, #2)
  • Compass Rose
  • Wrong Number, Right Woman
  • Changing the Script
Effie is a human being who spends her days writing books and taking pictures of her cat and being a librarian.

She especially likes writing (and reading!) stories about fantasy worlds where LGBTQ people aren't just tolerated, they're openly embraced and seen as equals.

Tales of Inthya (4 books)
  • The Queen of Ieflaria (Tales of Inthya, #1)
  • Daughter of the Sun (Tales of Inthya, #2)
  • The Queen of Rhodia (Tales of Inthya #3)