Start by marking “Immortal Hulk Vol. 3: Hulk In Hell (Immortal Hulk (2018-))” as Want to Read:
Immortal Hulk Vol. 3: Hulk In Hell (Immortal Hulk (2018-))

Immortal Hulk Vol. 3: Hulk In Hell (Immortal Hulk

(Immortal Hulk #3)

Collects Immortal Hulk #11-15.

Carl Creel is in Hell. Walter Langkowski is in Hell. Eugene Judd is in Hell. Los Diablos is in Hell. Shadow Base is in Hell. New Mexico is in Hell. We are all in Hell…and so is the Immortal Hulk! And now the creature that rules Hell has come to collect. It whispers through many mouths. It destroys with many hands. Its only weapon is hate. It
Published May 15th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Immortal Hulk Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal Hulk Vol. 3

Start your review of Immortal Hulk Vol. 3: Hulk In Hell (Immortal Hulk (2018-))
Anne
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THE IMMORTAL HULK.

description

I do, however, agree with the people who say that you have to have a teeny bit of Hulk lore and Hulk-centric characters under your belt to really appreciate what's happening with this story.
This is NOT a jumping-off point for readers who are new to comics or new to this character.

I LOVE THE IMMORTAL HULK.

description

But. You don't need to have kept up with every Hulk comic ever made to get the gist of what's happening here. <--I certainly haven't done that, and I didn't feel the least bit lost.
If you've kept up with most of what's happened in Marvel in a general way up to the point of Secret Empire, you should be fine. I sort of dropped out of most of their major comics after that, and I knew enough of what had happened to Hulk and Co. to understand what Ewing was doing in this one. I didn't know General Ross had died, I did know Rick Jones was dead, and I didn't know Betty had lost her Red She-Hulk abilities.
Eh. Ewing gave enough of a small recap that I was cool with it. Plus, for me, not knowing the minute details of what happened to minor players like Doc Samson didn't spoil any of the enjoyment, and I just kind of cobbled together the rest and moved on with my day.

description

Ok, this also had the conclusion to the whole thing about Banner's father being (maybe) a supernaturalesque sort of villain. And yeah, the stuff about him being a douchey/abusive person wasn't anything really new-new, but I thought Ewing made the retelling of it fit in well with the general horror vibe.

description

Oh! And if you've already read this one?!
That scene with Betty? Did y'all not just lose your shit when that happened?
I can't be the only one who popped up out of my chair and started making noises -->(view spoiler)

Anyway.
Everything about this just sort of ticks off all the right boxes for me. From using all these weird off-brand characters like Sasquatch, Puck, & Absorbing Man and turning them into the stars of the show, to bringing back dead characters without the use of time-travel or clones, and then giving a little tug on my heartstrings.

(view spoiler)

Good stuff, especially for Hulk fans.
Highly Recommended.
Dan Schwent
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-comics, 2019
Emaciated and pissed off, the Hulk fights for his life in hell!

Immortal Hulk: Hulk in Hell collects Immortal Hulk #11-15. Hulk in Hell picks up where the last volume left off, with the Hulk in Hell, facing off hordes of enemies, including his father.

Al Ewing's horror take on The Hulk continues to amaze me. It reminds of of Swamp Thing, both the Len Wein-Bernie Wrightson version and Alan Moore's take on the character. It's a smart book and more than the Hulk beating the sh
James DeSantis
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite hulk comic ever made.

So the first volume 1 was good. Volume 2 had a lot of great moments. Volume 3? Hulk in hell? Hulk talking about who he truly is. Finding out what happened to Ross. Hulk going berserk when a close one to him dies. What did Hulk learn in hell? This is demon hulk after all and his mission has not changed. He is here to end the world. But...something is happening. Questions of who he is and why he is.

This is one of the most compelling volumes of hulk
Benji Glaab
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great title. A good mix of speculative writing using Hulk and company as the characters to deliver the goods. Also this is a series that can be enjoyed without being up to date in the marvel universe since the story is so personal to the Hulk's character.

'and so I ask again. What is the Hulk? What will the Hulk be? The accuser or the adversary? Khamael or Satan? Is he of the Geburah or of the Golachub? Is he man or monster? What will you become, Bruce Banner of Earth? Who a
Artemy
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
This was a weaker volume of Immortal Hulk, and this may in part be my fault — I really don't know that much about Hulk's regular lore and supporting characters, and this book banked hard on previously established relationships between Bruce and them. I felt kinda lost for most of this volume. Ewing's writing steered away from the horror-centric, mostly standalone story to a more continuity-dependent one, and the underlying existential terror that's been there from issue 1 got replaced with some ...more
Bradley
I'm really enjoying this horror take on the Hulk. It's nothing simple or cheesy. It's complex, Jungian, and most fascinatingly Qabalistic! Scratch what I said about the basic Freudian mystery, this is going all the way into the deeper mysteries.

The green door? Sure, you could call it hell, but possibly it's only the collective unconscious.

And Bruce? We're getting into the nitty gritty of a full-blown Dissociative Identity Disorder. Daddy issues? Yep, them too. And best yet, the Greeny is growi
Chris Lemmerman
As the Hulk makes his way through Hell to face off against The One Below All, new secrets are revealed and the true enemy makes himself known in this third volume of Immortal Hulk.

Al Ewing's got a game plan, and nothing's gunna dissuade him from it, I don't think. This series is so expertly plotted, pulling in plot threads from years and years of Hulk history and hammering home that this is a story a long time in the making, even if we didn't know it yet. The revelations that take pl
Malum
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is still going strong, and it's the only current Marvel series that I read ASAP. There are a ton of reasons why this is so good and they are mainly spelled out in my reviews for the previous volumes, so I'll just focus on a few of the things I didn't particularly care for in this volume:

They wrapped up the "Hulk in hell" storyline a little too quickly. They were teasing his dad being a villain since the very beginning, and it ended up kind of being a non-event.

Diz
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is one of the strongest series running these days. If you thought the story was off-the-rails before, you haven't seen anything yet. Hulk goes to hell and we learn quite a lot about him and his relationship to Bruce Banner. The storytelling and art are top-notch.
Anas
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Al Ewing you mad genius. This is absolutely brilliant. Probably one of the best books Marvel is putting out right now!
Cheese
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume concludes the story from Volumes 1 and 2 about half way into this volume, a bit of a tame ending tbh. Then it changes in a poor direction. The whole Betty and Bruce thing really turns me away. It's been done to death and is shit. Really shit.

I notice some changes in artwork as well which went downhill.
Roy
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didnt seem to like this as much as the previous volumes. I felt lost all the way through.
Charles
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty solid volume but really falters with the second to last issue. The art really took me out of it and made me feel like I was stuck in a bad 90s comic. Add to this Betty's constantly angry glare and I was really put off. Oh and fridging a female character? Seriously? Maybe it really was just one bad issue from the 90s jammed in an otherwise enjoyable book.
Jesús
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Between the multiple story arcs, multiple artists, and multiple call-backs to Hulk stories of yore, this third volume is a mess.

There were undoubtedly some strong moments. The conversation between Black woman Jackie McGee and the Hulk about her envy for his ability to express his anger openly as a white man was spot effing on. But otherwise this volume is all over the place in terms of quality and tone.

Writer Al Ewing’s heavy-handed mysticism rings hollow and tries too hard to make this storyl
Adam Fisher
2.5 Stars.
This Volume was very meta for me. Coming off the last Volume, I should have expected it, but I had to read through a few sections in this one to make sure I understood what was going on. I hope I actually did....
Highlights:
- Hulk was taunted by visions of Rick Jones and Thunderbolt Ross. Driving him more and more insane in the bowels of Hell, Savage Hulk emerged and split from Bruce completely.
- With Banner now separated, the One Below All (masked as Bruce's fat
Andrew Sorrentino
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Besides the dual nature of Hulk (man or monster) we also have the balance from that dichotomy (or is he both?). I found the balance more present in this volume than duality. Hulk's monstrous strength has been used for destruction and has been used for righteousness. He has two fists and he uses them for both purposes.
Also, we now see that Banner Hulk may not be the only immortal hulk. Members of his gamma-irradiated supporting cast who've been called Hulk at some point have been coming bac
Omar Chilla
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9.1 brilliant
Al ewing keeps making the immortal hulk better. The 3rd volume offers a lot. Action and an amaizng sotry. Art is great as always and this is slightly better than the last volume. Still there are few cons such as the starting pages, not very intriguing compared to the rest of this volume. Live the relationships and the surprise appearance. Had a creepy tone for a bit. Its overall a brillosmt comic to read and surely the 4th volume will be better to continue this trend.
Kris Ritchie
This comic continues to astound and disturb me. I was going to give it a 4, but it just had so much going for it that I had to bump it up. I'm not even the biggest Hulk fan there is, but this comic explained to you everything you needed to know about the Mean Green Machine in this horror-fueled hellscape of a book. I cannot wait for the next volume!
Robert
Nov 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What began as a promising series devolves into unintelligible psycho-babble with no real story.
Oleksandr Tarasov
I kinda hate how good this comic is. There is zero reasons not to read every comic book written by Al Ewing, but Immortal Hulk definitely should be number one in your "To Read List".
Carlex
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and half stars
Brian Chilton
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 3rd volume in the Immortal Hulk series may be one of the best yet! Hulk is Hell digs into both the spiritual and psychological realms. This edition leaves the reader with a lot to ponder. The ending leaves the reader hanging on the edge of one's seat anticipating the next edition. I'm already excited to see what volume 4: The Abomination has to offer.
Craig
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is pretty good. I wish Kyle Hotz drew the Hulk more often. As good as Joe Bennett is, I like Hotz's work even more.
Simon
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This comic book will forever be seared into my brain and retinas and I love it for that. But it also makes me come up with new compliments every time and I just can't, all I wanna do is read this series instead. Over and over, until the creepy reality of Ewing's Hulk sucks me into a coma or something. It seems like the next volume may be its last and, if so, this 4-volume run would be poised to be one of the top comics I've ever read. It already is, honestly.
Alfredo Garcia
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank god the end was a little less horrifying, because damn. Al Ewing is doing a serious Swamp Thing direction here.
Alex Sarll
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What is Hell?
There are places in this universe made of red rock and flame. Peopled by horned goats and fanged serpents. Built for the torment of souls.
But these places are not Hell.
They are only places.
Hell is not a place.
Hell is the absence of God.
Not atheism. A thing cannot be absent if it was never there.
To be truly absent, God must have once been present.
God must have a face, to turn it away from you.
But is there another face that looks
James Bowman
This volume doesn't have quite as many memorable moments as the first two, but it makes up for it with interesting ideas about the nature of the Hulk (especially this current Hulk). Ewing's appreciation for all previous eras of the Hulk is also obvious here, making this volume particularly appealing for long-time fans. (A-)
Ed
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Al Ewing and Joe Bennett continue their incredible run. Immortal Hulk is easily Marvel's best book these days. Basically, Hulk goes to hell, it's some crazy shit, he deals with some daddy issues and then smashes hell. When he gets back, we switch to Betty Ross's perspective (and a guest artis who also does nice bleak work) as she reconnects (sort of) with Bruce/Hulk. And then Doc Samson shows up to unpack the new Immortal Hulk's intentions. This story is really coming together and heading to som ...more
Christopher
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally this title starts fulfilling its potential. An excellent, deep dive into the psychology of the Hulk that is filled to the brim with existential horror. I still wish Marvel’s heavy-handed continuity was less invasive. This story needs room to breathe.
Sesana
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Kind of heavy on Hulk lore, which I'm not super up-to-date with. I still like this very horror-tinged view of the Hulk, but this particular volume is probably more for long-time Hulk fans.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 1: Back to Basics
  • Avengers by Jason Aaron, Vol. 2: World Tour
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils

Immortal Hulk (6 books)
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door