Start by marking “Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)

Deathless Divide

(Dread Nation #2)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  5,151 ratings  ·  1,047 reviews
The sequel to Dread Nation is a journey of revenge and salvation across a divided America.

After the fall of Summerland, Jane McKeene hoped her life would get simpler: Get out of town, stay alive, and head west to California to find her mother.

But nothing is easy when you're a girl trained in putting down the restless dead, and a devastating loss on the road to a protected
Published February 4th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Deathless Divide, please sign up.
Candace Fox One of the MCs is bi and engages in a relationship with another female character. The other is very clearly ace, although that is never explicitly sta…moreOne of the MCs is bi and engages in a relationship with another female character. The other is very clearly ace, although that is never explicitly stated. (less)
Emilirose Currently, yes. According to Justina Ireland's website: "Alas, fair reader, Dread Nation is a duology consisting of Dread Nation and Deathless Divide.…moreCurrently, yes. According to Justina Ireland's website: "Alas, fair reader, Dread Nation is a duology consisting of Dread Nation and Deathless Divide. There might be more stories in that world one day, but as of right now there are none planned (or contracted)."(less)

·  5,151 ratings  ·  1,047 reviews

Start your review of Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
halfirishgrin
Feb 03, 2018 marked it as arc-to-read
*crying because I really want this book and need more Jane McKeene in my life*
viktoria
How do I review a book that wrecked my heart so thoroughly without blubbering or spoiling everything or just keyboard smashing?

Not well! But I'll try.

→ This was not the book I expected it to be; I enjoyed it nevertheless. I tried not to picture anything with Deathless Divide. Still, I had a vague idea of what I thought might happen. The book literally had nothing in common with my idea other than it being awesome. But thank goodness, because I never would've come up with this.

→ If Dread Nation
Elle (ellexamines)
Jan 22, 2018 marked it as tbr
Shelves: x-tbrsequels
the Most Important 2020 release after the greatness that was book one ...more
megs_bookrack
Scratching my head as to why I haven't picked this up yet!? 🤔😝
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

Deathless Divide is the sequel to the book Dread Nation, so if you haven’t read that book yet, stop reading this review and go and read that book right now.

Taking place directly after the events of Dread Nation, Jane and Katherine find themselves fleeing for their lives from Summerland as they are chased by a hoard of the undead. They arrive at a town called Nicodemus and hope to find refuge there, but instead only find disappointment.

I won’t say much more about the plot because I don’
Samantha Sophia
Oct 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
Junstina Ireland did not come to play with us in book 1: alternative Historical zombie sci-fi where the Zombie apocalypse abruptly ends the Civil War and black people are free but subject to a caste system that places them as trained zombie fighters to protect white people. I'm ready for book 2 and hoping for a Netflix series.

description
Jennie Damron
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The action started on page one and did not let up. I enjoyed this book immensely. The writing is solid and the characters well developed. Katherine and Jane's friendship is wonderful and very real. I loved the trials, setbacks and triumphs their friendship endured. I also like the authors take on revenge and what that mentality can do to your psyche. I am glad I read this book it really is a great read.
Laurie  Anderson
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I loved it!!!!
Justine
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
A rewarding sequel to the amazing Dread Nation.

Ireland really digs deeper into her characters, and both Jane and Katherine have a chance to shine here. If you come for the zombies, you will definitely get that, but what will keep you invested is the fantastic portrayal of female friendship. The love and loyalty between friends is so well done, and one of the most interesting parts of the book.

While mostly things are pretty fast paced, the story felt a bit lax in the middle for awhile while it w
Audrey
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Jane the zombie slayer is back and she’s definitely back with and for a vengeance. This time, we also get Katherine’s pov and it definitely enhances the story. Here, the plot picks up where it ended in Dread Nation and details were artfully woven to refresh one’s memory. Overall, it’s a satisfying read, where the ending could be continued or not.

Some issues: the pacing was off. I was immediately drawn in and then it lagged about half way. It did pick up again. Even a bigger issue is the portray
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.5 Stars
This was such a powerful story to read during the socio-political Black Lives Matter movement of 2020. This story dug deeply into so many important themes from racial prejudice to white privilege. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a diverse ownvoices story by a black author.

This was also one of those cases where the sequel was even stronger than the first book. I liked Dread Nation, but I loved Deathless Divide. The dual perspectives worked well in this one with Kath
Emma
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, arcs
Deathless Divide was a mixed bag for me. First off, I can't imagine how hard it was to write a sequel to a book as beloved and hyped as Dread Nation.

This is in some ways tonally quite different from Dread Nation, which made sense for plot reasons though I found it a bit disappointing. In the spirit of avoiding spoilers, that's all I have to say on that matter.

The world-building in Deathless Divide was just as incredible as its predecessor and it was so neat to see more of this alternate United
Betty
The survivalist "utopia" of Summerland fell to a horde. Jane McKeene and Katherine Deveraux, along with six other survivors, escaped the death and destruction with one immediate goal: to get somewhere safe. But where can safety be found in a world where the dead walk the earth? For Jane, wherever they go is just a stop along the way. Now that she knows where her mother is, she plans to find her. Plans tend to go awry, however, and the small group of survivors will face calamities resulting in de ...more
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it

Dread Nation was a completely surprising read for me in spring 2018.  A YA novel about the dead rising at Gettysburg and combat schools teaching former slaves how to fight the dead and be bodyguards for wealthy white women.  Of course I was intrigued --- and it did not disappoint!

The sequel, Deathless Divide, managed to surprise me also.  The book opens with Jane, Katherine, and Jackson in the aftermath of the Summerland attack but quickly shakes up the direction I thought we were heade
Caidyn (he/him/his)
CW: violence, death of people, unwanted experimentation, and general gore

I was so looking forward to this book. The first part was, like, 3-4 stars but the second part completely tanked it. This really is an example of a book that didn't need a series. While I was excited for it, just how the book played out was lame. And that ending? I don't want a third book and it was left open enough for that to be a possibility down the line. Just, not the book I wanted to read and I was really disappointed
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

See original review for GIFs!

Deathless Divide was the perfect sequel to Dread Nation. PERFECT.

Whereas Dread Nation (which everyone lost their minds for, myself included, because Civil War era zombies and a black female warrior lead? Oh. My. God. Yes.) sold itself on 'combat school for Negro girls', it really wove in a plot that expanded beyond the school and into a dystopic settlement called Summerland, where a young scientist was trying
Emma
It was satisfying seeing a balanced history of the West in the telling of this story. Black Americans were everywhere in the American West and yet they are hardly ever mentioned, beyond slavery and the Underground Railroad, as Ireland points out in the afterword. On top of this, you have a great story and great, real, flawed characters. Action packed, this was a highly entertaining sequel.
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!!! LOOK AT THAT COVER!!!

FIVE STARS AUTOMATICALLY FOR THE COVER ALONE!!!

THE FOUNTAIN PEN DIVA HAS SPOKEN. MAKE IT SO!
Adah Udechukwu
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deathless Divide was an exceptional read. It was a worthwhile sequel.
Carlos
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-btr
I liked the conclusion of this book. When I read the first installment I was pleasantly surprised that I liked this book as much as I did. The sequel was very good. I liked the character development that the characters went through. A world full with the dead and bounty hunters is a good recipe for a book. Highly recommend this series.
USOM
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I rarely re-read books, but after finishing Deathless Divide my first thought was, "Yes I would dive back into that". I don't know what higher praise you need? Deathless Divide not only features these two bad ass black heroines fighting both racism and zombies, but also it turns out that my fave heroines are both queer (and Katherine struggles with anxiety). Besides these amazing cha
Katie.dorny
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Jane and Katherine are the boss girl friends I need in my life!! I will stan this friendship forever.

We pick up with this sequel months from where we left off but little of the landscape has changed. Apparently from the towns being in ruins and our girls scattered across the country.

We continue to follow Jane and Katherine’s point of views as they search for vengeance and a new life now that east America is completely overrun by the undead. Saying anything more would be potential spoiler territ
Vickie
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Oh, I'm so torn with my feelings on this one. It was going great, and then halfway through it changes. It felt so abrupt and really bothered me. I was disappointed with the storyline at that point. It got a little better towards the end, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Ugh...
Diana
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vid review will be available here https://youtu.be/5eK_oHICrAI on Feb, 12th, 2020 ...more
Books on Stereo
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and brutal in every way.
Ashley Marie
Stellar, and while it didn't resolve the bits I wanted, it felt true to the first book.
Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees
Ireland outdid herself with this once. Its definitely better than the first (and I loved that one)!
Cindee
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was better than the first book it was so well written. I loved the characters so very much especially Jane and Katherine I loved the friendship between them and Katherine's unwillingness to ever give up on Jane no matter the things Jane does with Jane being willing to do anything for Katherine. I loved Jane for her strength and her vulnerability she rarely shows I really loved her character so much. What I loved about Katherine was her tenacious will and how she never ever g ...more
Alexandra
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can also be found on *Milky Way of Books*

I have to say that Justina Ireland makes a glorious comeback with the second and final book in the Dread Nation series! The friendship, the girl power, and the plot twist! Holy wow I didn't see all these clues coming together and exploding like a bomb!

I have to say that while Jane kind of annoyed me I loved Katherine's POV! She is smart, reliable and also trusted all the right peo
☕️Kimberly
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2020
Justin Ireland is brilliant. The story unfolds, giving us perspectives from Jane and Katherine. It was fascinating, terrifying and addictive.

Ireland brought this character-driven story to life and pulled me in. Summerland falls but Jane along with Katherine and others survive and make their way west. Before they reach Nicodemus, the next settlement, they will lose some in their party and discover that the horde of zombies is following. I was biting my nails and loved Jane’s inner dialogue.

Jane i
You'll love this ...: Deathless Divide - Mar 7 30 35 Mar 19, 2020 07:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page count correction - Deathless Divide 2 14 Feb 05, 2020 06:20AM

• The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Illegal
  • Mooncakes
  • The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank
  • The Perfect Mother
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Echo Mountain
Justina Ireland is the New York Times bestselling author of Dread Nation and its sequel Deathless Divide (Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins), the middle-grade novels Star Wars, Flight of the Falcon: Lando’s Luck and Spark of the Resistance, a Star Wars Story (Lucasfilm Books), and the fantasy young adult novels Vengeance Bound and Promise of Shadows (both Simon and Schuster). Her short science fiction a ...more

Dread Nation (2 books)
  • Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)

Articles featuring this book

“...we know the curse that has been laid upon us--not the curse of bondage, but rather the curse of neglect. This country does not see, nor seek to remedy, the suffering of the Negro, and we are taxed to bear the wrath of white inadequacy.” 7 likes
“I smile tightly, but say nothing. He is trying to protect me, in the simple way men are always trying to protect women: by stealing away their freedom.” 4 likes