Start by marking “Crazy Hair” as Want to Read:
Crazy Hair

Crazy Hair

Crazy Hair is a fantastically fun tale written by New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman and illustrated by the astoundingly talented Dave McKean, the award-winning team behind The Wolves in the Walls.

In Crazy Hair, Bonnie makes a friend who has hair so wild there's even a jungle inside of it! Bonnie ventures through the crazy hair, but she may need more than a comb
Published May 26th 2009 by HarperCollins

Start your review of Crazy Hair
Keith
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Probably actually only four stars, but this one gets points for not being horrible -- like, extra points. I feel bad, Mr. Gaiman -- you and I have been through some hard times recently and when you actually pull it off, I think you deserve some props.

Also my mother didn't like this book and thought it was pointless, and seriously? Points for weirding out my mom. She was getting entirely too comfortable with your oeuvre.

So yeah. The art's good, there are tentacles involved, the ending is
Kells Next Read
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poems, poetry, neil-gaiman
Yes Yes absolutely loved it. Whimsical and lovely. ...more
Laima
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written and illustrated fantasy book for young children.

This is a gorgeous children's book with rhymes by Neil Gaiman and art work by Dave McKean. It is the story of young Bonnie who meets a fellow with some pretty wild hair. Pirates, bears, tigers, birds, hunters and huge balloons live in this crazy hair. She tries to comb it but gets sucked up into the hair by a bear!!
This is the type of book that would appeal to kids who have a wild imagination.

When my kids were young we went
Miranda Reads
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
The hair is waaay crazy. Quite whimsical and bordering on nonsensical.

I'd prefer other art to go along with the words. Some pages appeared a bit frightening and most were unpleasing to the eye.

Audiobook Comments
The audio is 3 minutes - only three! - but it's read by the author, which makes it a fun listen.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
La Coccinelle
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I laughed out loud as I was reading this book at the sheer WTF-ery of it all. What is this?

At first glance, I was reminded of the film MirrorMask, which makes sense since McKean directed it. The illustration style here is... well, different. I'm not sure how appealing it will be to children (especially young children); this almost seems like a picture book that was written for adults.

In rhyming text, we're told the story of Bonnie and her new friend with such crazy hair that it basically has its
Vijetha
Ugh!

By now you should know that anything that starts with Ugh isn't remotely nice. Both the story and illustrations felt nothing in comparison to what I've read of the duo before this book. I have read and loved The Wolves in the Walls and The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish. Brilliant story lines. Just the right amount of creepy.

But this, nah! Very meh. The book is forgettable except for the last two pages. If only it had been so all throughout. Sigh.

As someone being naturally blessed
Amina
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Neil Gaiman, his crazy hair and what happens in there!!!
Abigail
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Silly & Imaginative Picture-Books
Inventive, outrageous, imaginative - in short, crazy! This rhyming picture-book follows the story of a man with crazy hair and the young girl who is determined to 'fix' his unruly locks. As the man explains just how out of control his hair is, playing host to any number of creatures, Bonnie counters with a comb. Unfortunately for her (or fortunately, as the case may be), the residents of the man's hair don't take well to being disturbed...

Only the second picture-book I have read from the
Jon Nakapalau
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another strange and wonderful book by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean.
Lisa Vegan
Oh, I came to this book with a lot of skepticism. In fact, I didn’t even have it on my to-read shelf, but happened to see it at the library. I always want to love Gaiman’s books so much more than I usually do. I have “kind of crazy hair” and I really enjoyed The Hair of Zoe Fleefenbacher Goes to School, and so I decided to give this one a try too.

Well, it didn’t take long for me to become engaged. The illustrations are unusual and really interesting, and not as scary as I’d heard, in my opinion.
Syahira
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Crazy Hair is one of the book that I found in Big Bad Wolf Sale which I try to get for my nephew since when he's getting older, he won't get pink fairy tale book hand-me-downs and instead a creepy Neil Gaiman book.

Well, it is a given since these guys made Mirrormask.

I don't know about you, it does nothing with Mirrormask's creep noir level.

But it is intended to be a children's book. Very thin but rich with texture and colors that made it an interesting book for even adults to read... that or
Cecilia
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 2015-read
Funny, different and nice pictures - Neil Gaiman sure is an author I want to read more of.

Read my whole review at Book Obsession.
Gloria
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay words but the illustrations repulsed me. Not a fan. Sorry!
Joana Xisto
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
"These await the ones who dare navegate my crazy hair."
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Crazy Hair is a children's picture book that sparked my interest after researching various goodreads choice awards nominations over the years. It is a light fantasy story about a man's hair and what goes on inside it. A girl thinks combing the man's hair will help but as she combs it, something from the man's hair grabs her and she is now added to all the adventures happening in the man's crazy hair. Neil Gaiman's writing style and Dave McKean's illustrations blow other picture books out of the ...more
Suad Shamma
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2016
This is a fun story to read, albeit a bit yucky. I mean all of that stuff living in the protagonists' hair? But, you can't deny that it was fun and enjoyable to read. You'll notice I've suddenly gone on a rampage with most of Neil Gaiman's children's books, and that was mostly due to reading his biography by Hayley Campbell, which was fantastic, and they go into the background and thinking process of all these stories. It's always nice to get inside of a writer's mind to see how he thinks up all ...more
Icats
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Okay I now have a new favorite book by Neil Gaiman. I absolutely adore Crazy Hair! It is an amusing rhyming tale about all that goes on up in his crazy hair.

In my hair Gorillas leap,
Tigers stalk,
And ground sloths sleep.
Prides of lions
Make their lair
Somewhere
in my crazy hair.

The artwork of Dave McKean is awesome. I love his hairy illustrations. They are tangled with lots of vivid nuances. In other words, great eye candy.

And though I am not one to usually place a dare...
I would challenge him on
Jasmine
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a really cool children's book. The illustrations are very unique and creative. The actual story is pretty interesting too, and I enjoyed the structure of the sentences. I also thought the ending was a bit atypical for a book made for little kids, to the point where it might scare some. But what's childhood without a paralyzing fear of becoming lost in someone's hair forever? I definitely recommend it.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I loved the illustrations, but didn't care for the story so much. I thought it might have a Gaiman-esque macabre/sinister ending, but it didn't. However, I do like the picture toward the end of Bonnie blissfully surrounded by all that hair, which looked good on her. Disappointing story, terrific illustrations.
Tricia Douglas
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another wild story by Gaiman and illustrated by the wonderful McKean. A little girl tells a man how weird and crazy his hair is. The man goes on to tell the girl that everything and anything can be found in his hair. The rhymes are clever and the pictures make the story even better. The ending is surprising and unexpected. I love Gaiman's books!
Brandice
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such a lovely book. My friend Rob gave it to Matilda as a gift and we've been slowly introducing new books over time, just got to this one this week and it's such a fun read and the artwork is great. Definitely going to be a regular pick by Matilda for one of her bedtime stories. :)
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
This was a very fun little story about a guy's CRAZY hair! All sorts of things happened and lived in there! Made even better by Dave McKean's wonderful artwork!
Andrew
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just another fun journey Gaiman gives. Short, random, but so much fun.
Becky Hicks
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
he wrote this about me.
Helô Beraldo
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wanna know how to love and live with my own crazy hair!
Amber
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't even remember what happened in this, just the distinct impression of "man what weird art" but it was an enjoyable read, 4/5, would love to scare a child with this
Peacegal
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This weird and wild story of one crazy head of hair will definitely be appreciated by kids old enough to like their entertainment a little bit on the creepy side.
Magdalena
On his website and in various interviews, Neil Gaiman has regularly referred to his need for a haircut. He clearly courts messy hair. One can certainly imagine that as at least a part of the inspiration for his latest childrens’ book Crazy Hair. It’s basically an autobiography. But of course this is no ordinary autobiography, and as with all of Gaiman’s childrens’ books, particularly those done with Dave McKean, this is no ordinary children’s book. For one thing, there is always an undercurrent ...more
Lisa Suchy
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This book, Crazy Hair, is a fun and wacky story about a man with crazy, crazy hair! A girl named Bonnie sees this man and tells him his hair is crazy. He then goes on to explain just how crazy it is - from tigers in his hair to people dancing and so much more. This book is an easy and fun read, told in poem form. The rhyming of the book keeps a nice rhythm while reading and discovering all the goofy things in this man's long, long hair. The text is in a fun print that keeps the reader engaged. ...more
Linda Lipko
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a delightful journey of creativity with the theme of out of control hair. I was enthralled by this book. I liked everything about it -- the images, the story line and the way in which it all blended together to create an exquisite publication.

Mesmerized by a man who has wild, extremely out of control hair, young Bonnie is curious and discovers a host of characters living in the mangled mane. There are pirates, gorillas, a rain forest complete with animals, and birds and bears all live in
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »