Start by marking “Life's Accessories: A Memoir (and Fashion Guide)” as Want to Read:
Life's Accessories: A Memoir (and Fashion Guide)

Life's Accessories: A Memoir (and Fashion Guide)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  50 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Rachel Levy Lesser can relive almost every significant life event through an accessory. A scarf, a pair of earrings, a bag, even a fleece pair of sockseach contains the elements that put together the story of a life. Lifes Accessories is a funny, sad, touching, relatable, shake-your-head-right-along-as-you-laugh-and-wipe-away-tears, coming-of-age memoir. In fourteen ...more
Kindle Edition
Published November 5th 2019 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about Life's Accessories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's Accessories

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Life's Accessories: A Memoir (and Fashion Guide)
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Do you have songs or meals or other items or things that can help bring back a special time in your life? My life definitely has a soundtrack. When I hear a song, I can be taken right back to a time when I heard it and practically see and hear myself listening to it. For Rachel Levy Lesser, its accessories. They take her back to each snapshot in the time of her life.

Lifes Accessories is her memoir, and its not really about the accessories at all. Its about life. Rachel openly shares her life,
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Rachel Levy Lesser recalls fourteen stories from her past while weaving in one significant object acquired during that period. The events surrounding these objects are significant and help the author reflect back in time.

Each vignette touches on everyday life experiences and includes dating, work experience, and getting through motherhood. These stories were very relatable and I found myself nodding my head while reading the book.

Rachel has a sharp introspection and she carefully teases out
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I really enjoyed this memoir, reading Lesser's memoir was like sitting and talking with a friend all afternoon.
Listening to a friend talk about things of great significance from their past all the while thinking about your past.
I can't wait to read more from this author.
I gave this book 4 stars and I recommend this book.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Nursebookie
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lifes Accessories by Rachel Levy Lesser is a wonderful memoir and a collection of anecdotes and essays that documents her journey from adolescence to adulthood.

The stories ponder on the lessons learned in poignant periods of her life, while creatively using accessories from a ring, scarf a belt or a handbag to weave those memories she shares.

I found the voice in her writing to be bold, kind, humble, witty and funny! It was relatable and truly heartwarming, sometimes sad but always honest and
Jessica | Booked J
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
( 3.5 stars ) Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Review can be found here at Booked J.

Standard disclaimer: A copy of this book was provided by the publisher and my friends at BookSparks in exchange for my honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

"Had I been wearing a hat, I would have thrown it up in the air. I had made it after all."

What a fun memoir! This is how my mind operates. Life's Accessories showcases Rachel's life in a way that speaks to me on a specific level. I have
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I gotta say it. Twenty Twenty is turning out to be a year of branching out of my reading comfort zoneand falling in love with what I try. Again, Im not a big memoir reader but Ive read a few recently that just instantly grip me and make me feel better about myself. This one..this one is a phenomenally written and absolutely captivating. I loved it!

As some who has dealt with the death of my own mother, helping my father through his own cancer battle, and struggling with my own severe anxiety and
Melissa
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Im a pretty big minimalist who doesnt like a lot of clutter. My rule is if it isnt functional or sentimental, it goes, so I really enjoyed this memoir shared in the form of essays about how Rachel Levy Leaser ended up with the items that have meant the most to her.

It was fun getting to know Rachel through this book. Her writing style, witty, humble and honest reminded me of Nora Ephron. Her stories were very thought-provoking and left me thinking about the things in my life and the meaning
Mom_Loves_Reading
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Life's Accessories" is part of Booksparks #SelfCareTour and is quite a gem! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll relate to at least a story or two (probably several!) It's short, but sweet and quite enjoyable! The cover of this book is just precious in all its beautiful, baby pink glory! (I love baby pink!) But the book is so much more than it's striking cover. Dealing with sensitive and serious issues, it is engaging, original, humorous and charming. The essays are heartfelt, poignant and ...more
Linda Zagon
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Linda's Book Obsession Reviews "Life's Accessories A Memoir and Fashion Guide" by Rachel Levy Lesser, She Writes Press, 11/19, for Suzy Approved Book Tours

"Life's Accessories A Memoir and Fashion Guide" by Rachel Levy Lesser is a unique and creative memoir. I enjoyed reading the different essays or chapters about the author's life, each noted by a different token or accessory that was so meaningful.

The author writes about her wanting to fit in with the other students in her new school.  She
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an amazing memoir! Rachel Levy Lesser has written amazing heartfelt essays that document her life. While reading this memoir I felt like I was sitting down drinking coffee and talking with a friend. The book has fourteen stories that include accessories that hold special meanings and memories to her such as a ring, handbag, a scarf and belt as some of the examples. Some of these moments she reflects on are summer camp, falling love having a child and even finding out her mother has cancer. ...more
Jill (chill_jilland_read)
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Everyone has an article of clothing that they can place with a memory. For me, it is the ruby ring my Gran gave me before she passed away. To her, she was passing down a piece of jewelry she loved to a granddaughter to enjoy just because "red looks good on you." About six years later, rubies are my first child's birthstone. It is funny how things like rings, handbags, even pairs of jeans solidify themselves in our lives as significant learning objects.

In Rachel Levy Lesser's memoir, Life's
Dana
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this memoir told through accessories that Rachel Levy Lesser has crafted. Although I've never been one to wear, let alone own, many accessories, I found myself reflecting on accessories that I have owned in the past as I read this memoir. The accessories that we wear and keep represent special times in our lives, as Lesser points out in her memoir. From our adolescent need to fit in at school or work, and to the wish to hold on to memories of loved ones, Lesser shares her experiences at ...more
Johnna
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ page 56.

Its possible that the writing gets more dimensional and less offensive but I havent the patience to find out.

This is a memoir and multiple lines in this, her own thoughts... edited and presented are offensive, spoiled, critical and focused on outward versus inward. I was disgusted by her privilege and bratty way of feeling sorry for herself.

Will not finish.
Do not recommend.
Will not read more from her.
Angie Wilborn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
First of all, thank you @booksparks and @rachellevylesser for my gifted copy of this memoir! I feel so honored to receive ARCs. I am posting my honest review of this book below. ⬇
Lifes Accessories highlights Rachels story using accessory items that remind the author of certain important events in her life. From the belt that reminds her of the birth of her first son, to the twilly or Hermès scarf that takes her back to the heartbreaking death and funeral of her mother, even to a leather
wellreadtraveler
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This weekend I finished Lifes Accessories by @rachellevylesser and I had to share my review and photos.
I know other bookstagrammers can relate to the need for a nice photo to post. You want to make the author proud while making the photo appealing to your book friends. Let me tell ya people....its not always easy. Apparently Blue wants his day to shine on the gram. 🤣
Lifes Accessories is a memoir told through pieces of jewelry that have special meaning to the author. I LOVED IT!
From the pink
Nicole reading_with_nicole
I love a good memoir and when it is based around some fashion, it makes it a lot of fun; I had total closet envy reading this memoir..
Rachel shares with us a series of fourteen life events/stories from attending summer camp, falling in love, the birth of child, becoming a writer and the heartbreak of her mothers battle with cancer.
Each memory is tied in with an accessory; like the Hermés scarf that reminds her of her mothers funeral. That part of the book touched me and made me think of my
Living My Best Book Life
Life's Accessories is a tasteful, relatable, and honest memoir that speaks to us all. We all have certain memories that have stayed with us through the years and made us who we are. It was compelling the way Rachel Levy Lesser used her 'life's accessories' to help write this story.

One of my favorite parts of the story is how relatable this book is. After reading this book, I made a list of some of the most impactful memories and I too remembered a certain shirt, ring, or even scarf I was
Jessie May
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life Accessories is a memoir, with each chapter centered around a different accessory and its meaning in the author, Rachel Levy Lesser. I really enjoy reading memoirs, and this book was no exception. Lesser writes about her experiences at summer camp, her path to becoming a writer, falling in love, and becoming a mother. She also talks poignantly about her late mothers battle with cancer, and the ways she dealt with her grief following that event. Lessers stories are relatable and well-written, ...more
Briana Yaccich Johnson
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book! Such a sweet read full of short stories that recount the most relatable moments EVER. I feel like I can be bffs with Rachel (yeah, I decided were on a first name basis now after reading this 😉) because its almost as if weve lived the same life years apart. The idea to base these moments and memories around accessories was brilliant. It really makes you think about your own possessions and why they always end up in the keep pile during spring cleaning. I laughed, I cried... ...more
Ellyn
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that as a woman, and even better, a Jewish woman, you will love the experiences that Rachel Levy Lesser has gone through from her being the team captain at overnight camp to wearing hamsas for protection and embracing so many fashion trends through the decades. I loved her references to Ann Arbor and was only wishing she would tell me her favorite sandwich at Zingermans deli!

Read and enjoy this cute memoir!
Ashley Hasty
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
If youre looking for a book that will entertain but also touches on significant life moments, then youll really love Lifes Accessories: A Memoir and Fashion Guide by Rachel Levy Lesser. I also learned something, believe it or not! Id never heard of a Twilly and now I think Ive been missing out for not owning one. Read more about this book: https://www.hastybooklist.com/home/li... ...more
Megsbookclub
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You will want to pick up this memoir if you are someone like me that has keepsakes, trinkets and stories to go with them all. This is a great coming of age story. It made me realize just how sentimental I am!
Marsha Cicerchia Gutierrez
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had so many relatable experiences and sentiments. It's a quick and lovely read! I truly cannot wait to meet this author on February 12th!
Karen Blue
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. Rachel is honest, down to earth and most of all funny!!
Nicole Fleischer
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Full review on my blog!
Rita Wray
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. After reading it I felt like Rachel was my friend. The love she had for her mother is just beautiful. This is the first book I have read by this author but it won't be my last.
Dara
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it

This memoir that I read as a part of non-fiction November is basically a series of essays about the authors life. Each essay focuses around an article of clothing or an accessory, which is an interesting approach to framing a memoir.
While most of the essays address coping with loss of ones mother and are relatable, I found the author to come across as snobby. She bragged about her expensive purchases and all of her amazing friends. Again, I am not a huge fan of memoirs, and this one didnt do
Rochelle Weinstein
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Life's Accessories, Rachel Levy Lesser shares the accessories we can see and touch as well as the ones we can feel. Through touching and relatable essays, we travel with Lesser through the awkwardness of eighth grade, the nostalgia-laced summer camp years, falling in love, falling apart, losing our mothers, our writing, being wife and mother, parenting, friendship, and always attempting to live our best life.

Lesser writes candidly and poignantly with a sharp wit that keeps you turning pages.
bookishwithwine
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today I am on tour with Suzy Approved Book Tours, author Rachel Levy Lesser and She Writes Press.
I do not tend to gravitate towards memoirs. For me, reading about other people's struggles is sometimes too much to take. However, this memoir is different from any I have ever read.
Lesser doesn't mess around! I like her get to the point, not go into too many details, tell it like it is type of writing.

It's so interesting how she relates an article of clothing, a piece of jewelry, a purse to a
Aimee
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, adult
1. I love the concept of this collection of essays. It makes me want to look at the items in my jewelry box and write the stories associated with those items.
2. The author writes SO well. She was hella easy to read. I could go through 50 pages in a flash.
3. I liked it! I liked her stories, they were nice, sometimes sad, but always ended on a positive note. None of them were particularly WOW-THAT'S INSANE, which are the kind of memoirs I really, really like.

• The Road to Delano
  • This Won't End Well
  • All the Silent Voices
  • More Than
  • The Moonshiner's Daughter
  • The World Came to Us
  • Finding Mrs. Ford
  • A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1)
  • Gather As You Go
  • What You Wish For
  • Arroyo
  • Don't Put the Boats Away
  • Life Is a 4-Letter Word: Laughing and Learning Through 40 Life Lessons
Rachel Levy Lessers articles and essays have appeared in various outlets including The Huffington Post, Glamour.com, Parenting.com, Kveller, Modern Loss, Scary Mommy and The Philadelphia Jewish Exponent. She is a graduate of The University of Pennsylvania and received her MBA from the Ross School of Business at The University of Michigan. In her previous life as a marketing professional, Rachel ...more

News & Interviews