Start by marking “Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)” as Want to Read:
Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)

Sleeping with Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  7,441 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
Fear has never been so close...

New York Times bestselling author Kay Hooper returns with a relentless thriller that brings her readers face-to-face with fear itself. In this terrifying new novel, a psychic special agent finds herself caught up in a tangled web of secrets, lies... and evil.

Riley Crane woke up fully dressed, a gun under her pillow, and covered in blood. Even
Published May 29th 2007 by Bantam (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping with Fear, please sign up.

Alex is The Romance Fox
Sleeping with Fear, (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9) by Kay Hooper is really a page turner!!

First line in the book…………
Even before she opened her eyes, Riley Crane was aware of two things. Her pounding head, and the smell of blood.
And from then onwards…I was totally hooked!!!
 photo idiva_103_zpskjr1kwxd.gif
Riley Crane, member of FBI SCU unit of psychics and an expert on occult rituals is working undercover in Opal Island investigating rumors of occult activity in that area.

She wakes up one morning having no memory of the la
Donna
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is my first Kay Hooper novel. So the MC is a female FBI agent who also happens to be a psychic. Now usually that whole paranormal thing is not my thing. That part of this book really didn't capture me and pull me in. I was disinterested in that part, but there was plenty of other things going on that did interest me. So 3 stars.

Sarah Anne
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book from one of my favorite series about psychic FBI agents. I've read it 10 times at least. Enough to have creases in the binding and I'm a very gentle paperback user.

Riley Crane is an FBI agent working for Bishop's Special Crime Unit, which is a team of psychic FBI agents that get the worst of the worst crimes when ordinary investigation isn't yielding results.

Riley is ex-army and joined the unit three years prior in order to investigate a serial killer. we get flashbacks to these m
Wendy
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the first two in the series, but this one was a disappointment. Just never really felt a connection to the characters or an interest it what was happening in the book.
Eve
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sleeping with Fear by Kay Hooper
Series: Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #9
The "Fear" Trilogy, #3
Mystery, Thriller & Suspense / Psychological Thrillers / Paranormal

Riley Crane, member of FBI SCU unit of psychics and an expert on occult rituals, woke up fully dressed, a gun under her pillow...and covered in blood.
Even more frightening, her special abilities seem to have vanished, alon
Mary
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love this series of unusual crime investgators, that use their paranormal gifts to fight crime, a special unit of the FBI. One member goes off on her own to check on possible occult activity (her specialty), and goes under the guise of a vacation, but really doing a favor for an old army buddy. Of course, it gets a lot more complicated than that. Very good, fast paced mystery.
Cee
Jul 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Maybe this is better to other people, I found it rather boring.
Jessica
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. Another great read by kay hooper.
JBradford
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I do not recall that I ever read any of Kay Hooper’s books in the past. This one called to me as I stood in the library carrels with exactly one minute to go before the library closed; I had already found that there were no books by the author I was looking for, so I reached up and grabbed this one. Although there is absolutely nothing in the publisher’s text inside or outside to reveal it, except that there is a small banner at the bottom of the front cover saying it is a Bishop/Special Crimes ...more
Ana T.
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maybe to compensate for the lack the romantic relationship in the previous book in this series, here the heroine knows that she is involved with someone right from the beginning. Unfortunately she doesn't know who that might be because she wakes up with amnesia and covered in blood.

After my complaints about the previous book I was a bit worried about starting this one. In Sleeping With Fear the SCU agent is a woman - Riley Crane. When the book starts she wakes up alone in her bed but covered in
Jennifer Wardrip
May 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I, for one, love the Bishop/FBI SCU stories, and thought this book was an excellent addition to the series.

Riley Crane wakes up in bed at her rental cottage in Opal Island, only to realize she's covered in dried blood and has no memories of the last three weeks. Apparently, she was on the island to investigate supposed black magic/occult activities while claiming she was on vacation--but she has no recollection of that fact. She also doesn't remember that she's become romantically involved with
Kheila
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kay Hooper ties crime, romance, and paranormal together in the Bishop/SCU series. This particular book is the third of a mini series that the Bishop/SCU series consists of. The main character, Riley Crane, is a clairvoyant FBI agent assigned to the Special Crimes Unit under Noah Bishop. She was called by a friend to investigate a series of crimes in Opal Island. The book begins with her waking up with amnesia and proceeds with her trying to figure out what happened to her, what is going on on Op ...more
Hyderali
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was my first Kay Hooper book & after reading "The Second Lady" by Irving wallace I thought that this book will also give me some erotic nightmares. But I was wrong, the cover of the book imply so many things but there was nothing. I don't know anyting about Psychic & their abilities on what they can see or how they can hear but after reading this book I'm sure that my knowledge increased a bit.

The story is good nothing extraordinary, I finished it in a day or two. After reading fir
Glenn Harris
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it
The first of this generally top-notch series that I've been displeased with. The main character is a psychic FBI agent who wakes up in the middle of an investigation with no memory of the past two weeks, no backup, and none of her usual psychic abilities. She then spends more than half the book basically stumbling around and bemoaning her inability to figure anything out. I'm sure this was intended to be a situation fraught with danger and suspense but, for this reader at least, it was fraught w ...more
Skip
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Riley Crane, ex—army officer, now assigned to the FBI's Special Crimes Unit, is sent to a small seaside town to informally investigate an occult group. She has lost all of her recent memory, including her relationship with the local DA, but discovers she was tasered. She has to piece together what's happening to her, a heinous crime which appears to be cult-perpetrated, and solve the crime. Not as good as others in this series.
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Cindy
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok

This was okay. I really thought I had it figured out early in the book and was completely wrong so that was good. I just had trouble connecting with the characters - I did listen to the audiobook so that may be the problem. The characters didn't seem very developed and the memory problems of the main character didn't help. I have not read any other books in this series so perhaps that is part of the issue as well.
April Timmons
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read heavy academic material every day, so I like to be entertained when I read for fun. A serial killer, a psychic detective, mystery, romance...great fun. I look forward to reading others in the Bishop series.
Lisa
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I'm surprised Hooper is a bestselling author. Dreck. At each successive mention of a Powerbar I had the urge to throw the book across the room. I have one more from this series I picked up for a beach read. When that's finished I won't be reading anymore Hooper.
Susan Thompson
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Not only has the paranormal but Hooper adds in the occult as well. This mystery kept me on edge the whole time I was reading it. As Linda Howard says it kept me guessing "until the very end".
Shelly Gustin
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bummer I listened to it with a voice I couldn't stand..... May have been better if I'd read it....
Cristina Reyes
this was my first time reading any book Kay Hooper and it was actually good i had it feeling who the bad guy was but i was totally wrong. But Kay Hooper is now on my now to read shelve
Sandy
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
I listened to the Audio version of this book. While I liked the begining of the story, by the fouth disk (about the twelfth chapter) I found the book got very repetitive and the story dragged.
Diane Perry
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and the series. In this story I felt such compassion for Riley. Kay Hooper really takes you on a journey in this one.
Jeanna Read
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and must say it is my favorite in the series thus far. Kept me truly guessing and page turning. An enjoyable read for sure!
Anita
This is probably my favorite of the three Bishop/SCU -- Fear trilogy set. There is a lot more anticipatory “who dunnit?” going on in this book than there had been in the previous two. On top of that, I actually ended up feeling quite anxious for Riley to reclaim her lost memories and figure out what the heck was going on.

Riley Crane wakes up in a beach house on Opal Island, her arms and her clothes covered in dried blood and weeks of her memory lost. Upon contacting her boss, Noah Bishop, she le
Sue
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the absolute worst narration I've ever heard. So bad it almost sounded computer generated. And the men's voices were ever more appalling. I strongly suspect that the telling is why I disliked this book so much. Riley was supposed to be such a badass. Ex military occult expert that Bishop trusts to be on her own but she acts completely stupid the entire book. Just hope the next books don't feel so phoned in. I know this narrator doesn't get used anymore in the series. Thanks Be!!
Alison Gilley kentch
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting story with a lot of psychic and occult themes, but easy to read, great storyline as far as not knowing who-done-it until the very end. Had my suspicions, but they weren’t right. Love a book that can keep the suspense until the very end!
Liz
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kay Hooper is the best.mystery writer

I love Kay Hooper books. They are riveting and edge of your seat good reading. I just want more of them
Caralyn Rubli
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good. The bad guy wasn't who I thought it was.
  • Ghost Walk  (Harrison Investigation, #2)
  • On the Run
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Shiver (New Orleans #3)
  • Now You See Her
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...

Bishop/Special Crimes Unit (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #1)
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2)
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3)
  • Touching Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #4)
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
  • Hunting Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #7)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8)
  • Blood Dreams (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #10)
  • Blood Sins (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #11)
“But there had been secrets in the relationship, obviously, since she hadn't told him the truth about why she'd needed him to leave early the previous night. Unless he had known and was lying about that…

Don't borrow trouble, goddammit. He doesn't know you've lost your memory. So he isn't lying. About that, anyway. But something else is going on here. Because apparently you didn't tell him the truth about why you asked him to leave early, and you don't know why you failed to do that.

Then again, perhaps she really had only wanted time to herself, and the fact that something had obviously happened later on had been sheer coincidence.

Nah. She really didn't believe in coincidence.”
0 likes
“Where's my clairvoyance when I need it? Hell, where are any of my senses?” 0 likes