Start by marking “Haunting Rachel” as Want to Read:
Haunting Rachel

Haunting Rachel

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  2,733 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Tom Sheridan disappears just three weeks before his wedding to Rachel Ames. Now, ten years later, a stranger comes to town who eerily resembles Tom in more ways than one. And he's always nearby as accidents threaten Rachel's life. Is he a figure from the past with something sinister in mind?
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published July 27th 2004 by Bantam (first published December 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Haunting Rachel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunting Rachel

Janie Johnson
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I chose this book for my month of mystery because I have been collecting Kay Hooper books for quite some time and it is a bout time that I start getting to them. This was also the only standalone I had of hers, so I tool a chance on it. Kay Hooper is also a first time read for me.

Synopsis
Danger wears many faces....

Ten years ago Rachel Grant's fiancé, Thomas, disappeared. His body was never found. Now there's a stranger in town, a man who could be Thomas's twin--or his ghost.

His name is Adam Dela
Heidi
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Seriously, who writes this stuff? A beautiful, wealthy heiress discovers that her life is in danger, and at the same time, a handsome man appears in her life who looks eerily like her late fiance. What should she do??? In Rachel's case, the answer is to do a lot of hand-wringing and crying, hope other people will protect her, and have lots of sex with the handsome guy. The whole plot was a series of cliches, almost to the point where I wondered whether the author was mocking these types of books ...more
Farah
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
I am terribly disappointed by this book , the book was very promising , as a matter of fact I was enjoying it very much , the suspense was great , the mystery was even better , the characters were interesting though Adam and Rachel had no chemistry whatsoever , but the mystery itself had me hooked so much that I didn't really care about that , I was waiting for an ending that ends with a bang but instead I got a little beep sound that died halfway before it even finished.

The whole book went do
Christine
This was a real page-turner. Early on, I thought this was heading for a 4 or 5-star review. The setup was terrific and I desperately wanted to know what was up with a man looking exactly like Rachel's fiance showing up ten years after he was supposed to have died. People were trying to kill her, Rachel's recently deceased father was involved with some shady business dealings ...

The trouble with mystery/suspense novels is that so much hinges on the ending. This also creates a challenge for revie
Georgiann Hennelly
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rachel,s fiance disappeared ten years ago his body was never found. Now there,s a stranger in town - who could be Tom,s twin . His name is Adam Delafield. He has the locket Rachel gave Tom. He says he owed Rachel,s father three million dollars. But theres no record of the loan. Now there has been some unexplained accidents involving Rachel and Adam is always around. Who wants Rachel dead.Is it a figure from her fathers past with a score to settle. Rachel must expose lies and unravel secrets befo ...more
jenjn79
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Kay Hooper and I will read anything she's written. When I saw Haunting Rachel in the store, I knew it was one that I hadn't read yet, so I picked it up.

Rachel Grant is young and in love. At nineteen years old, she is engaged to Thomas Sheridan, the dashing older brother of her best friend, Mercy. Thomas is about 10 years older than Rachel and works as a pilot transporting cargo. When Thomas mysteriously disappears somewhere in South America and is believed to be dead, Rachel's
Lynda
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
It had been ten years and Rachel Grant was living life without a sparkle in her eyes or a special someone, she was still haunted by the disappearance and presumed dead fiancé, Thomas Sheridan. With her parents’ recent deaths, their only child Rachel had many decisions to make upon returning to the family home after many years. Help came from many avenues, Graham Becket her parents’ lawyer and executor of their estate, Nicholas Ross her father’s banking partner, and Darby Lloyd childhood friend, ...more
Emma
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I read this immediately after Hooper's far superior 'Amanda' and was very disappointed. The romance between the main characters was terribly written, passionless and unconvincing (it felt more like an afterthought, something added to the general mess the book is). There's something terribly wrong when the secondary characters are much more interesting than the protagonists, and writers should be aware of that. The plot was super silly, and the writer seemed to want it that way, as she threw ever ...more
Laura Beasley
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by Kay Hooper. Once again I normally don't like books with paranormal events but she has a way of writing that makes them almost believable. I did find this one a little more unbelievable than some of her other books but still very good. Rachel is 19 when her fiance a pilot leaves on a business trip and dies. Devastated Rachel flees to New York to live and work as a fashion designer. Her parents are killed in a plane crash and she eventually returns home to settle their estate ...more
Jolene
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AWESOME BOOK!!!! WAY TO GO KAY HOOPER!!! IN THIS BOOK 19 YEAR OLD RACHEL GRANT'S FIANCE' THOMAS DIES IN A PLANE CRASH WHILE DOING SOME WORK FOR HIS JOB & RIGHT BEFORE THEIR WEDDING. DISTRAUGHT & MOURNING THE LOSS OF THOMAS, SHE FINISHES COLLEGE & MOVES OUT OF THE STATE OF VIRGINIA TO NEW YORK AS A FASHION DESIGNER. 10 YEARS LATER SHE HAS TO GO BACK TO VIRGINIA TO SETTLE HER PARENTS ESTATE FOR THEY TOO LOST THEIR LIVES IN A PLANE CRASH.

WHILE IN VIRGINIA SHE MEETS A MISTERIOUS MAN THAT
Louise
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Once again Kay Hooper left me guessing til the end! Gripping novel.

From back cover:

"Ten years ago Rachel Grant's fiance, Thomas, disappeared. His body was never found. Now there's a stranger in town, a man who could be Thomas's twin-or his ghost. His name is Adam Delafield. He's been watching Rachel for days. He has the locket she gave Thomas before he vanished. And he says he owed her father three million dollars.

But there's no record of the loan-or a shred of proof that Adam is who he claims t
Joanna
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Mackenzie
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, 2014
I found this to be a very interesting novel! I loved the way the author used dreams to convey different messages and ideas, it was interesting and quite unique! I really enjoyed the characters, but I would really have liked there to have been a greater focus on Mercy and Nick! The suspense and mystery in this book were played out in my opinion.. and I had literally no idea who the culprit trying to kill Rachel was right up until he was revealed near the end. The fight scene was a little weird wi ...more
Rachel
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first Kay Hooper book I read, and after this, I was hooked. I'll be honest; the title is what made me pick it up. I was on vacation and had forgotten a book to read, so while at a store I was skimming through the book section and the title caught my eye (my name is Rachel...the main characters name was Rachel-lame reason, but I'm glad I picked it up).

I really like Kay's writing style. I've read pretty much all of her mystery/thriller books. She started out as a romance novelist. I'v
Terri
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it
As a thriller this was, well, pretty thrilling. I was pleased that it took me most of the book to figure out who the bad guy was, and I liked the main character a lot. As a love story, I was less impressed. I actually enjoyed the secondary characters' love story much more than the main characters. It wasn't terribly well developed. The ghost story aspects were pretty good, too, but sometimes seemed a bit tacked on to cover for the kind of silly premise. This is the second Kay Hooper book that I' ...more
Taylor M.
Nov 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysterys
Recommended to Taylor M. by: My mom
Haunting Rachel was about a woman being stalked by this guy she thought was her husband that had died 10 years ago. Everywhere she went she saw him around the corner or just near her. When accidents start happening in Rachel's life the only one who is around each time is Adam Delafield. She had no idea who he was and then he just shows up in her life day after day. She doesnt understand what he wants with her or why he just showed up in her life. She wonders if hes the one who wants her dead or ...more
Anita

I have the distinct feeling that I finished this book for the sake of finishing the book, rather than for the enjoyment of said book. It's not that this was a terrible book by any standards, and it's not that I disliked it completely. But for me, this book was really just mediocre, at best, and kind of confusing and haphazard, at worst.

It was a page-turner, but I can't say that it was really all that memorable of one.

And the characters were not all too exciting. Just as well, the assume
Dina
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Trapped in the car for 14 hours with nothing to do, so I read this book. A little too Harlequinish for my taste, but it had some good parts. Young, rich, successful, beautiful,orphaned single woman meets a man who reminds her of her dead fiancee. He shows up because her father had loaned him money and he wanted to repay it ... all $3 million dollars of it. He suspects that her parents death in a plane crash was not an accident. There are several shady characters hiding out in the shadows of the ...more
Holly
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are into metaphysical themes - then you'll really like this book. It dips into the world of dreams and the messages that come from our dreams as well as connections with people from the other side. I happen to like those topics so this book was really good in my mind. It was a very easy read - there were some twists in the plots but really no big surprises. As you neared the end of the book, all the dream messages became very clear - was a good book with a very 'tidy' ending......
Courtney Phillipson
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance buffs, paranormal enthusiasts,
I loved this book. I got the first couple of chapters in Finding Laura and I just went crazy trying to find it. 6 months later I found it in Goodwill. It was amazing. I liked Finding Laura more, however this is a great book. I think I built it up when I was looking for it, so I expected it to be so much better. I loved it though. I may sound contradicting but I really did love it. I was amazed with how everything unfolded. When I found out how Adam and Thomas connected I was like Oh My God! I di ...more
Tina
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was OK. It had a pretty good storyline. I had never read anything by Kay Hooper before. It was pretty simplistic - a typical "fem jep" book of a woman in trouble, which is not necessarily my type. It was a quick read, not too riveting but not a total waste of time either. I'm not sure I'll read more of her work simply because I prefer a little more of a sci-fi, horror or thriller tone with some paranormal stuff thrown in a little heavier.
Sheila
Rachael was young in love and getting married. Her intended loved the fast and dangerous life and had one last delivery to make and promised he'd be back and done with that life.
Unfortunately he was unable to keep that promise. She then sees a man who resembles Tom in places all over town after she comes home to settle her parents estate.
Is Rachael the target of a person that wants her money or is he really there to help her.
Julie Marie
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this book, even though I do like the author.

I was very pleasantly surprised. It was well written, and though I had an idea who the "bad guy" was, the way the book was written, there was nothing to confirm it until the end, and suspicion was constantly cast on characters other than the "bad guy".

It's one of the books I'm keeping to possibly read again.
Kerry  sullivan
This was a really good paranormal romantic suspense. It kept me guessing right to the end and I liked that there was 2 love stories being played out. Nick and Adam are strong complex characters and at first I thought they were up to no good, but Kay Hooper is a master at what she does. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes stories that have you on the edge of your seat.
Debbie
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
"Haunting Rachel" is a suspense novel with a romantic twist. It started out strong with enough twists and turns of plot to really keep you guessing, but it started to become pretty formulaic by the middle of the book. The ending became quite predictable. The characters were interesting, but not compelling. I liked the book and would consider reading more by this author. A little profanity and very mild sexual content.
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
A very quick read with the accelerated pacing common to Kay Hooper's books. I enjoyed this novel, but not as much as I love the Bishop series. The amount of twists and turns was a little excessive, IMO, but it definitely kept me reading. I didn't love it, but I also didn't want to put it down and read it in a few hours once I past the first 50 pages. I will probably continue to read some of her other older books, too, in between the SCU books.
Ferne
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
There are multiple quotes by other favorite authors on the cover of this book. Each quote is a high recommendation and one almost wonders if you are promised too much...
Not to worry. Read each quote carefully and then be sure you have some uninterrupted time available as Kay Hooper leads you on a page-turning journey of mystery, suspense, romance, and thrilling action as she reveals each character's secrets. Let your journey begin...and enjoy!
Sarah Kessler
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
To me, this book had kind of a slow start. I wasn't super interested in it at first, but the more I read the more I wanted to read. Hopper did a great job of setting up the characters up and letting the reader really know who they were dealing with, but she never gave too much information. Through the whole story I never really knew who was good and who was bad. She kept me guessing until the end. It was suspenseful, romantic, and scary. definitely worth reading.
Emily Higgins
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Rachel Grant's parents died in a plane crash and now she sees a man resembling her dead fiancé several places around town. Finally, Adam Delafield introduces himself to Rachel. His resemblance to her fiancé is uncanny. It turns out that there are bad guys that need to be stopped and Rachel and Adam are in the middle of it. This is a good story, but the ghostly part could have been left out.
  • Death Is Forever
  • Fatal Tide
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • Hurricane Bay
  • See How She Dies
  • The Chosen
  • Dying to Please
  • Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)
  • The Survivors
  • Edge of the Moon (Moon #2)
  • Target (Bayou #8)
  • Dead Time (Marti MacAlister, #1)
  • Blackout (Kat Bronsky #2)
  • The Trelayne Inheritance
  • Magic (Rainbow Chasers, #4)
  • In the Name of the Father
Kay Hooper was born in California, in an air force base hospital since her father was stationed there at the time. The family moved back to North Carolina shortly afterward, so she was raised and went to school there.
The oldest of three children, Kay has a brother two years younger and a sister seven years younger. Her father and brother are builders who own a highly respected construction compan
More about Kay Hooper...