Start by marking “Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth, #9)

Death of a Travelling Man

(Hamish Macbeth #9)

Sergeant Hamish Macbeth finds Sean Gourlay too handsome. The agent of evil pretends to be gypsy traveller with gutter-mouth Cheryl, disrupts Lochdubh village. The doctor is missing drugs. The Ladies' Club is missing money. Spinsters Nessie and Jessie want to move. Did one of the ladies kill Sean?
Published July 1996 by Random House Ballantine Ivy (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Travelling Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Travelling Man

Stephanie
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, mystery, series
There's something about Hamish. These books are definitely a guilty pleasure, even though I don't like the way Beaton characterizes most of the women in them- most of them are either weak and annoying or overbearing and bitchy. Also, most of the interpersonal problems (aside from the murders that drive the main plots) could be easily solved if the people involved would just TALK TO EACH OTHER ONCE IN A WHILE.
So honestly, I don't know why I enjoy these so much. But I do. :)
Sarah Booth
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hamish has a sixth sense about a new traveler couple that is squatting in the village. Despite the young man of the couple’s charm and good looks, Hamish feels the man emanates evil. The charm only last so long and those who thought Hamish unfair are suddenly not great fans of the young man any longer and he winds up dead. Dealing with both criminals and cops who wish Hamish to fail, he pushes ahead with the help of Patricia Halburton-Smythe.
I like M.C Beaton’s series despite the fact they are
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's the best indicator of a fine read? When you can't wait to get to the library to select the next one in the series. That's definitely the case with Death of a Travelling Man.

In this novel, two transients blow into Lockdubh in a remodeled bus, and the village is turned topsy-turvy by one of them, the malevolent Sean. It's a common plot device for M.C. Beaton -- in this series as well as her Agatha Raisin series; however, Beaton is able to make it seem fresh in Death of a Travelling Man. You
Beth
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining but average.
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny funny.
Julie  Durnell
As much as I love the series this episode of Hamish was not my favorite, he just didn't hit all the high notes I look forward to. But it certainly won't keep me from reading on to the next Death of....!
Tracy
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good! 😍😍😍
Wolf Ostheeren
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, I love Hamish Macbeth. And this one was a special treat in several ways. Not the murder case itself, as usual, but the characters, the Highlands, my favourite village bobby's life. For once I wish the fifth star said "I loved it" and not "it was amazing": Don't see this as a recommendation when you're looking for great literature. This is a book to settle down with for a lazy Sunday afternoon when the real Scotland is too far away or too expensive. Tea and scones could probably m ...more
Andrew
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful visit with Hamish Macbeth in the fictitious village of Lochdubh in the Highlands of Scotland. Hamish has to work hard in this one to solve the intricate murder of a Travelling Man - especially when so many wanted him dead. Quite complex events occurring in this remote location. Do enjoy this series!
Selah Pike
Another one I missed earlier. Lots of red herrings, several villagers getting up to things that are "out of character" (seriously, they do this every book, does Hamish really know these people?). This one filled in some of the personal life stuff that I missed regarding Hamish, Priscilla, Willy, and Lucia.
Nolan
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nls-audio
Just when I’m sure I’ve paid my last visit to the charming albeit sometimes sinister Scottish village of Lochdubh, I find another of these little gems to take me there. There are lots of things that concern the lovable but lazy inspector Hamish Macbeth. He’s been promoted to sergeant as a result of his success in a previous case, and he’s not entirely sure he likes the promotion, since it carries added responsibility. One of those responsibilities is a new employee, Willy Lamont, who cleans and ...more
Michelle
Another day in Lochdubh, another murder. These folks need to watch their step. There is so much crime that Hamish finally got another copper with him, although he would rather clean than catch criminals.

Hamish, you are the laziest copper with the smartest mind around. You are the only one who notices the details, even when you get on the wrong track. Priscilla needs to snatch you right up. This time, we have some early-times van dwellers mooching off the good people of Lochdubh. This bugs Hamish
Bob
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A very early (#9) Hamish MacBeth story has him battling wits with a "Traveling Man", a transient who has captured the interest of the villagers until things start of go missing and the villagers are fighting with each other. Along with this, his assigned policeman is a neat freak and always cleaning the station to Hamish's dislike. Its always fun to read one of these tales.
Regina Spiker
A cozy mystery romp borrowed through Hoopla...
Debbie
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Another fast, fun Hamish MacBeth story, this time drawing in several familiar village characters, all with motives to be guilty of the murder. Romance is on the scene throughout with a to-be-continued dialogue at the end. Now I'm going to have to read #10!
LJ
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
C.J. Prince
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Start at the beginning. Here is the chronological order:
1. Death of a Gossip (1985)
2. Death of a Cad (1987)
3. Death of an Outsider (1988)
4. Death of a Perfect Wife (1989)
5. Death of a Hussy (1990)
6. Death of a Snob (1992 )
7. Death of a Prankster (1992)
8. Death of a Glutton (1993) Also published under the title "Death of a Greedy Woman"
9. Death of a Travelling Man (1993)
10. Death of a Charming Man (1994)
11. Death of a Nag (1995)
12. Death of a Macho Man (1996)
13. Death of a Dentist (199
Helen
I like Hamish but there was a bit too much prejudice in this one for me (especially as, in the end, the layabouts living off everyone else's taxes weren't the villains after all!) Finishes on a high for everyone, apart from the baddie of course.
RebeccaS
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love revisiting Lochdubh and the over the top characters there. Hamish Macbeth grows on me more and more. There is quite the scandal in this sleepy little town and it was interesting to follow the story. I love the way MC Beaton spends a good amount of time building the character of the soon-to-be murdered so we can get a real idea of the character before his/her demise. Then Macbeth goes against the rules to find out the true murderer....sometimes it seems like he is the only one who really c ...more
Michelle Harvey
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought the first ten books from the Book People for £9.99 and wasn't expecting much but loved the whole set.
The Flooze
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing the lengths Hamish will go to in an effort to protect his quiet village. In some ways, it's just as well that he doesn't get a major promotion and a move. I don't think he'd be able to follow the rules at all.

He's forgiven (to some degree) because we understand where he's coming from. When a con artist comes to the village, Hamish sees trouble coming from miles away. The villagers themselves are not so quick on the uptake.

With some chancey moves mixed with actual sound policework,
Kelsey Hanson
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This one was surprisingly gritty for a Hamish Macbeth mystery. I did enjoy this one, but at the same time I found it a bit more difficult to believe than some of the others in the series. Some of the previously established characters do some pretty surprising things. Also, Priscilla can really get on my nerves some times and this book had a quite a few of those instances.
Badseedgirl
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read-in
What!? (view spoiler) Oh yeah, and Hamish solves another murder, but he learns some very troubling things about the women of Lochdubh in the process.
Shannon
This seems a bit heavy handed. Perhaps I've read too much of Hamish these days, but the plotting begins to feel overly contrived after too many coincidences. It feels too pat.
Dawn Frazier
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. First I've read in the series, I will definitely read more.
Jessica
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I picked this up to expand my knowledge of cozy mysteries. The audiobook features fun accents and a light story.

Why only two stars?

(view spoiler)
Cindy
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Mischief abounds in this 9th Hamish Macbeth mystery. Hamish takes an instant dislike to Sean Gorlay, a well-to-do “traveler” who has decided to park his caravan on the church’s lawn. He and his companion, Cheryl, have an odd relationship. All of the villagers in Lochdubh appear to have been smitten with Gorlay, who seems to be an ever-present gypsy in the village. Strange things start to happen in the village and everyone seems to be avoiding Hamish at all costs. It seems that Gorlay is purposef ...more
Msgadget
As I prepare to start the 10th Hamish Macbeth it's time for me to admit to myself that I'm in it for the atmosphere and the characters. There, I've said it. Indeed, Beaton creates villains desperately in need of killing and killed they are, though most of the time their deaths don't always look like murders. Hamish, of course, susses that part out immediately teven though he never has a clue about the identity of the culprit. Add to that, the man is dead awful at compiling actual evidence that w ...more
Sue
Hamish Macbeth is an endearing character and I keep listening to this series because the mysteries are usually engaging and the characters in the village are fun to keep tabs on as they live their quiet lives. But something bad is often happening in their village, like this time when a couple who fancies themselves as modern Gypsies parks their bus in the village. The travelling man begins to worm his way into the villagers' lives, with disastrous consequences. And Hamish's private life takes a ...more
Diana
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A travelling man and his girlfriend move their mobile home into Hamish's village. They appear more like "hippies" than travelling people (gypsy).
The man has a magnetic quality about him and he attracts many of the local women, including married ones. This upsets Hamish.
Due to a recent success Hamish is assigned a man to work with him. His assistant is more interested in cooking and cleaning house than he is in police work.
The travelling man is found dead and Hamish must decide between the
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead (Mrs. Jeffries, #28)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottis

Hamish Macbeth (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
  • Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)
  • Death of an Outsider (Hamish Macbeth, #3)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • Death of a Hussy (Hamish Macbeth, #5)
  • Death of a Snob (Hamish Macbeth, #6)
  • Death of a Prankster (Hamish Macbeth, #7)
  • Death of a Glutton (Hamish Macbeth, #8)
  • Death of a Charming Man (Hamish Macbeth, #10)
  • Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)
“simple matter to find the key and open up the village hall.” 0 likes