Start by marking “La tabla de Flandes” as Want to Read:
La tabla de Flandes

La tabla de Flandes

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  15,913 Ratings  ·  817 Reviews
A secret that could have changed the history of Europe is hidden in the chess game depicted in a fifteenth-century painting. Five centuries later, a young art expert, a gay antiquarian, and a peculiar chess player team up to unveil the mystery. They are all pieces in a diabolic chess game in which pieces are taken and players are murdered."Paradoxes and puzzles abound. A s ...more
Published April 1st 1995 by Vintage Books USA (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about La tabla de Flandes, please sign up.
Julia Guys, the paintings you see at movie and researching online are modern illustrations! Real Pieter Van Huys lived 100 years later and his style was…moreGuys, the paintings you see at movie and researching online are modern illustrations! Real Pieter Van Huys lived 100 years later and his style was completely different (more like Hieronymus Bosch). According to his biography in the book, this man had nothing to do with the story. And also the people depicted in painting are all fictional.(less)

Helen Ροζουλί Εωσφόρος   Vernus Portitor Arcanus Ταμετούρο   Αμούν Arnum
Πραγματολογικά στοιχεία σε πλήρη κοινοτοπία και ζωηρά επιφανειακή χρήση.

Δεν θα πω κάτι για την πλοκή του βιβλίου, καλύπτεται στην άψογη περιγραφή του οπισθόφυλλου με μεγάλη επιτυχία. Αν προσπαθήσω να πω κάτι περισσότερο θα προβώ σε μη πρέπουσες Προοικονομίες.

Τέχνη, ιστορία, σκακιστικές αναλύσεις, διαπροσωπικές σχέσεις ζωής, αστυνομικό μυστήριο, φόνοι, κίνητρα συνωμοσιολογίας που εκπορεύονται απο το 15ο αιώνα, υψηλή αισθητική, πάθη, σκοτεινά ένστικτα, διττή προσωποποίηση καλού κακού, και επιφαν
Nickolas the Kid
Ένας αντικέρ, μια συντηρήτρια έργων τέχνης και ένα ιδιόρρυθμος σκακιστής ψάχνουν την λύση πίσω από μια σκακιστική παρτίδα ενός Φλαμανδικού πίνακα. Όσο όμως ξετυλίγουν τo κουβάρι του μεσαιωνικού πίνακα, μπλέκονται και στα πόδια ενός κατά συρροή δολοφόνου ο οποίος φαίνεται να προσπαθεί να κρατήσει το μυστικό του πίνακα κρυμμένο.
Όλο το βιβλίο είναι μια σκακιστική παρτίδα στημένη με μαεστρία από τον συγγραφέα.
Οι χαρακτήρες τις ιστορίας είναι πολύ καλά δομημένοι ενώ παρόλο το μέγεθος του, το βιβλίο
Matthew Roche
I wanted so badly to love this book.

The simplest way to describe it is the novelisation of Douglas Hofstadter's opus, "Godel, Escher, Bach." In fact, it is impossible to believe that Perez-Reverte had finished G.E.B. more than ten minutes before furiously scribing "The Flanders Panel."

I wanted to love it because I love books based on puzzles and logic, and GEB may be one of my favorite books of all time.

But the novel is just so weak. The characters (caricatures?) were flat and absurd - how many
MTK
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Εξαίσιο. Η σχεδόν αστυνομική πλοκή σε συνδυασμό, η χαρακτηριστική γραφή του συγγραφέα, η σχέση που αναπτύσσεται μεταξύ των ηρώων, όλα συντείνουν στην δημιουργία μιας σπάνιας αναγνωστικής εμπειρίας.
Kelly
May 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: intellectual mystery lovers, art history scholars, fatalists
Well that was just as good as I remembered. Everything I said below still holds true. The tale may have felt a bit more heavy handed this time, but I think that's only because I knew who the murderer was and as Sherlock Holmes says, "I only saw it because I knew what I was looking for." It didn't diminish the pleasure of the experience.

This re-read had me focusing a lot more on characterization since I didn't have to be obsessively caught up in the mystery. What is beautifully done here is showi
Manny
My friend Cathy (also a chessplayer) told me I had to read this, and she was indeed right. I couldn't put it down, and finished it in about a day. It's... well, what is it? I read it as a kind of postmodernist reimagining of Alice Through The Looking-Glass. Other books I immediately thought of were The Name of the Rose, Gödel, Escher, Bach and Luzhin's Defense.

Formally, it's a very stylized murder mystery. Julia, the sexy but childlike Alice figure, is a Madrid art restorer. She receives an unu
Nhi Nguyễn
Theo cảm nhận của riêng tôi, tác phẩm này còn hay hơn cả "Câu lạc bộ Dumas" - cuốn tiểu thuyết đã làm nên tên tuổi của tác giả người Tây Ban Nha Arturo Pérez-Reverte. Không có hai cốt truyện chính chạy song song nhau, không có những bức tranh khắc gỗ mang dáng dấp hình ảnh những lá bài tarot đầy ám ảnh, “Bí ẩn quân hậu đen” trung thành với một cốt truyện chính duy nhất, đi sâu vào thế giới cờ vua đầy trí tuệ và say mê để làm nên một cuốn tiểu thuyết trinh thám ám ảnh không kém. Sự ám ảnh đến từ ...more
Bob
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a birthday present and took it with me on our Thanksgiving trip. I wish I had taken the Manhattan phone book instead. It would have had a lot more interesting characters and none of them would be such implausible things as the characters of this novel. The whole structure is so contrived it ultimately collapses under its own weight. The book is built around a convoluted metaphor like "art is chess is life is art," but the harder the author works at it, the more tenuous it becomes. ...more
Vaso
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book almost 16 years ago, but I still remember how fascinated I was after.
For me, back in the '90-'00s, if you haven't read a book of Mr Reverte, couldn't have a clue about his writing skills!
I recommend this one, to anyone who adores art and mystery, especially if they are bond so well in a book
Chrissa Vasileiou
Ακόμα ένα εξαιρετικό βιβλίο του Ρεβέρτε,που συμπληρώνει το top 3 μου από βιβλία του.Αν "Η λέσχη Δουμάς" είναι ένα βιβλίο που θα σύστηνα στους βιβλιόφιλους,αυτό εδώ θα το σύστηνα στους λάτρεις της τέχνης και του σκακιού.Ο Ρεβέρτε αναμειγνύει με θαυμαστό τρόπο το παρελθόν και το παρόν,στήνοντας μια ιστορία χωρίς κανένα κενό,χρονικό,θεματικό,λεπτομερειακό ή άλλο.Είναι φανερό πως ο συγγραφέας κατέχει όχι μόνο τη λογοτεχνική γλώσσα,αλλά κι εκείνη της έρευνας για κάθε ένα από τα αντικείμενα που απαρτί ...more
Trini
Nov 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This disappointed me, especially since it came so highly recommended. I just couldn't buy into it though. The plot was absurd and unbelievable in numerous places. The characters lacked common sense. Let's see...someone is trying to kill me...I think I'll go out late at night by myself and cruise around the city, hail taxis, go to a nice restaurant, and then head back to my apartment for a quiet night by myself where the killer just so happens to know I live. That kind of crap really grated on me ...more
Tứ Huỳnh
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Đây là một tác phẩm quá đỗi xuất sắc, đến mức mình không thể chê gì at all. Đây là một quyển trinh thám Tây Ban Nha đúng nghĩa - đầy kịch tính, hồi hộp, cuốn hút mà quyến rũ lãng mạn cực kì.

Tác giả bắt đầu cả quyển trinh thám bằng tiền đề hội hoạ: thậm chí ông sáng tạo ra cả một... họa sĩ thời phục hưng, với tiểu sử và trường phái, phong cách y như thật làm cả thế giới bàng hoàng luôn: bạn lên thử Google tên ông hoạ sĩ đó đi, bảo đảm thông tin cực kì mông lung mà không ít người lên phán bảo là
Harold
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent! I love this blend of top shelf entertainment, intrigue and mystery which at the same time informs the reader of the mores of the Art World, the in and outs of restoring paintings, and, most prominently, the game of chess. As mediocre a player as I am, I was still able to follow the descriptions and logic of the moves and the use of a 500 year old chess game that is relevant to the mystery unfolding before us is just flat-out clever.

Reverte also wrote The Club Dumas, another book that
Georgia
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ένα από τα αγαπημένα μου βιβλία του Ρεβέρτε! Πολύ καλή γραφή και μετάφραση. Πολύ έξυπνη ιστορία.
Katerina
The book's main theme is a painting by Peter van Huys. Julia is restoring paintings and a painting representing a chess game between the Duke of Flanders and his knight is her current task. While running her tests she discovers a hidden message under the tablecloth saying: Who killed the knight? So Julia starts trying to solve the mystery of a murder that took place centuries ago. But murders start taking place around Julia and then the chess game becomes a death threat.

Although the book starte
Rita
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-espanha
A tábua de Flandres é um romance de intriga do início ao fim. Não só as personagens da história actual entram no jogo mas também aqueles que inspiraram o pintor flamengo, Pieter Van Huys, a pintar o quadro conhecido por A partida de Xadrez*.
Gostei do livro mas a parte relativa ao xadrez é um pouco chata - principalmente para quem não percebe do jogo.

Pieter Van Huys, A partida de xadrez

* Tentei descobrir se esta obra existe mas não consegui nenhuma informação credível que aponte nesse sentido.
Licinia
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2014
Adiei, e adiei a leitura deste livro por receio, afinal foi infundado, pois gostei muito de "A Tábua de Flandres". Os dois ou três livros que já li de Arturo Pérez-Reverte não foram satisfatórios, mas a sinopse deste agradou-me e resolvi tentar uma vez mais e em boa a hora o fiz!
Κώστας
3,5 αστέρια.
Είναι ένα από τα ελάχιστα βιβλία που οι εκδότες δεν το αφήνουν να πεθάνει επανεκδίδοντάς το αέναα. Το συγκεκριμένο είχε φτάσει στην 21η έκδοση το 2009 σύμφωνα με το αντίτυπο που έχω. Φαίνεται πως βρήκαν άλλη μια κότα να τους γεννάει χρυσά αυγά στο διηνεκές, αυτό δείχνει και η σταθερή ακατέβατη τιμή του εδώ και τόσα χρόνια.

Παρότι του έβαλα, τελικά, 3,5 αστέρια δεν θα το σύστηνα σε όσους δεν γνωρίζουν ή δεν αγαπούν το σκάκι. Σας προειδοποιώ ότι η βαθμολογία μου είναι προκατειλημένη. Σκ
Lena
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess-theme

I loved it! This was a Goodreads recommendation based on my love of The Eight and it was dead on. The novel is a murder mystery played out as a game of chess on many levels linking the mysteries of the past to those of the present centered around a fifteenth century painting, aptly titled, The Game of Chess.

Unlike The Eight, the story takes place in one time and city, though there is an element of magical realism as Julia gets so lost in her imaginings of the past that the painting pulls her in
AnaΣtaΣia
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually it is 3,5/5 stars but I didn't have the heart to put only 3 stars in this book!
Enrique (TheEssentialBooks.com)
¡Se quedó sin las 5 estrellas en el último capítulo!

Un gran libro muy interesante con muchas capas (como el cuadro sobre el que versa) y que te atrapa.

Para amantes de la pintura y/o el ajedrez es EL LIBRO PERFECTO, como a mi me interesan ambos temas (sin ser experto en ninguno) he gozado el libro.

- SPOILERS -

La intrahistoria del cuadro, la partida de ajedrez, los asesinatos relacionados, el abanico de personajes, el giro final, ...

¿Y por qué no me entusiasmó el último capítulo? Porque la histori
Anne-Constance
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
C'est le deuxième roman de cet auteur que je lis et j'apprécie tout autant ! Il mène le suspens d'une main de maître et nous plonge dans cette partie d'échec à taille réelle captivante.
Mark Hebwood
Overall, I liked this fine. Characters had real depth, were idiosyncratic, querky, troubled, colourful, and well-developed. The plot was complex, and Arturo managed to create an unusual whodunit by peppering his detective story with elements from the arcane worlds of reverse-chess and philosophy of perception.

Beginning to sound a little bit weird? Yes that is also what I thought. Sure, Arturo differentiates himself from the pack by writing something I might call a "literary thriller". But I cou
Louize
Jul 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"I would say that chess has more to do with the art of murder than it does with the art of war.”

The Flanders Panel is the picture of Chess in its truest form.
Every piece is a character. Every move is an influence. To win it, you must cross death.

“Amazing,” he murmured.

There is no better word to describe it. The enigma itself may not be that surprising, but the steps undertaken to manipulate, and likewise, to uncover it was engaging.

ooo------------------ooo--------------------ooo---------------
São
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Como a sinopse refere, uma jovem restauradora de obras de arte, descobre uma inscrição oculta na pintura em que se encontra a trabalhar. Um quadro que retracta uma partida de xadrez disputada entre duas personagens, sendo que foi pintado dois anos após o assassinato de uma delas.
A partir do momento em que este facto, bem como a inscrição misteriosa se tornam perceptíveis, um desencadear de situações e de acontecimentos, transformam a vida pacata de Júlia (a restauradora) num reboliço imparável.
Haider Hussain
Aug 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes with this one. Alas!

Flanders Panel opened up brilliantly and hooked me right in. Nonetheless, what started with arts and history culminates into a mundane anti-climax (You don’t see such a miserable finale often). Pathetic!

No spoilers here, but I can’t help sharing a particularly foolish, absurd and downright annoying inference from such a sublime and graceful game of Chess. Hold your breaths and read this conversation between two characters:

“The mathematical aspect of chess,” h
Eric
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like other Pérez-Reverte books, this one initially consumed me. All the elements of his novels are present: interesting and complex characters, a modern mystery that plays out against a historical backdrop, in-depth descriptions that bring to life arcane subjects - in Club Dumas the antique book trade, in Fencing Master fencing, in this book, chess.

Unlike other Pérez-Reverte books, however, this one lost me in the last quarter when the mystery was resolved. I found the revelation of who and why
Snoozie Suzie
I really enjoyed this to start, but by the end I was disappointed. What didn't bother me at the beginning did in the end as it was kind of unfinished due to lack of character involvement/development which left it all hanging a bit and so unsatisfactory.

The chess side of things was very clever, but got a bit overwhelming toward the end I felt. But a clever alternative view of a murder mystery. In a way it reminds me of a Nancy Drew mystery as they often revolved around objects.
Remo
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Con este libro, me aficioné definitivamente a Reverte, de quien tan solo había leído por aquel entonces El húsar y la sombra del águila. Acusan a Reverte de muchas cosas al escribir, pero lo cierto es que yo disfruto como un enano leyéndole (otras novelas más modernas han dejado de gustarme, como la del pintor de batallas o el francotirador paciente, pero es un estilo distinto).
Novela muy entretenida y con mucha enjundia histórica y cultureta. Absolutamente recomendable.
Labijose
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una de las primeras novelas del gran Pérez-Reverte. Una joven restauradora de arte, a cuyas manos llega un cuadro del Renacimiento donde se esconde un gran secreto. A partir de ahí teje una novela de aventuras y acción, que sin estar ni mucho menos entre sus mejores obras, se lee con interés. El tejer la trama como una partida de ajedrez le da un toque de originalidad, y cada movimiento de la partida da lugar a un acontecimiento en la narración. Recomendable.
Good read. Not great. 3 47 Nov 23, 2013 02:27PM
La Stamberga dei ...: La tavola fiamminga di Arturo Pérez-Reverte 1 3 Nov 23, 2013 07:49AM
Around the World: Spain: Louise recommends The Flanders Panel 1 12 Nov 18, 2011 05:51AM
  • The Raphael Affair (Jonathan Argyll, #1)
  • Lemprière's Dictionary
  • The Forgery of Venus
  • The Last Cato (Catón, #1)
  • The Fencing Master by Arturo Pérez-Reverte Summary  Study Guide
  • Four Hands: A Novel
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • The Intelligencer
  • The Minutes of the Lazarus Club
  • Stone Virgin
  • El camino
  • The Sidewalk Artist
  • The Art Detective: Fakes, Frauds and Finds and the Search for Lost Treasures
  • The Athenian Murders
  • El lejano país de los estanques (Bevilacqua y Chamorro, #1)
  • The Pale Blue Eye
Spanish novelist and ex-journalist. He worked as a war reporter for twenty-one years (1973 - 1994). He started his journalistic career writing for the now-defunct newspaper Pueblo. Then, he jumped to news reporter for TVE, Spanish national channel. As a war journalist he traveled to several countries, covering many conflicts. He put this experience into his book 'Territorio Comanche', focusing on ...more
More about Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“You don't choose your friends, they choose you, and you either reject them or you accept them without reservations.” 80 likes
“Chess is all about getting the king into check, you see. It's about killing the father. I would say that chess has more to do with the art of murder than it does with the art of war.” 31 likes