Start by marking “Mennonite Daughter: The Story of a Plain Girl” as Want to Read:
Mennonite Daughter: The Story of a Plain Girl

Mennonite Daughter: The Story of a Plain Girl

What if the Mennonite life young Marian Longenecker chafed against offered the chance for a new beginning? What if her two Lancaster County homes with three generations of family were the perfect launch pad for a brighter future? Readers who long for a simpler life can smell the aroma of saffron-infused potpie in Grandma’s kitchen, hear the strains of four-part a capella ...more
Published 2019 by Spindletree Books

To ask other readers questions about Mennonite Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mennonite Daughter

Start your review of Mennonite Daughter: The Story of a Plain Girl
Kathleen Pooler
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mennonite Daughter is a heartwarming story of the author’s Mennonite roots, complete with photos, recipes, and sketches done by the author’s graphic artist husband, and told with a fresh, lilting voice. Yet underlying the bucolic picture of the Pennsylvania countryside that she masterfully paints of the characters and traditions that shaped her is her struggle with her father who was physically abusive. Throughout the story, the reader sees the sass and spunk of this eldest child who tends to ...more
Katherine Sartori
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
There’s a lot to like about Marian Longnecker Beaman’s memoir about her growing up years in Pennsylvania. As a tourist, I visited the Amish country in Lancaster where Marian lived, but I never learned about the Mennonites who also resided there. Until now.

Though I’m of the same generation as Marian, my growing up years in California in the 1950s & 1960s were quite different and yet I discovered some similarities.

I’ve always taken for granted the freedom I enjoyed as a teen, wearing “poofy”
Shirley Showalter
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
What do you think when you see a woman wearing a Mennonite prayer covering? "Though light as air, the prayer covering carried the weight of tradition," says author Marian Beaman, summarizing beautifully one of the most elusive symbols of female religious submission.

If you think you understand that symbol, you need to read this book. Author Marian Beaman complicates stereotypes, exposes double standards, and probes paradoxes of what it means to grow up Mennonite--especially if you are a
Laurie Buchanan
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I expected to find kindness in Marian Longenecker Beaman's memoir, MENNONITE DAUGHTER: THE STORY OF A PLAIN GIRL. And I did. The unexpected — abuse — came in gritty remembrances of a young girl's search for identity, one that isn't plain.

In this captivating look at a patriarchal culture, Beaman's writing imbues simple scenes with complex emotional undercurrents that kept me turning the pages right to the satisfying end. I highly recommend this book.
Kate Pill
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An honest and thoughtful insight.

This memoir is a thoughtful and honest reflection of one woman's experience growing up in the Mennonite faith. I enjoyed learning about Marian's experiences and her own "coming of age" as a young woman. I love learning about people who have lived differently to me - Marian's writing drew me into her life and the lives of those whom she held dear. Thoroughly recommend it!
Sherrey
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marian Longenecker Beaman's memoir shares heartwarming vignettes of life in Lancaster County, PA. The author paints images with words of the joys and frustrations of growing up as a Mennonite. I visited Lancaster County several years ago. But I was not as aware of the Mennonites and their restrictions as I was of the Amish. So, some of Beaman's revelations were surprising to me.

The author's use of detail in descriptions of people and places brought them to life. Thus, the reader feels an actual
Darlene Foster
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this memoir of another time and way of life, written from the heart. The story is filled with love and laughter, as well as sad family truths. There is no such thing as a perfect family and the author handles the imperfections of her family well, without bitterness and resentment.

Although I was not raised in a Mennonite community, I could relate to much of this story. I laughed at the goofy uncles and large family get-togethers and recognized the frugal depression-era parents, the
D.G. Kaye
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mennonite Daughter is a beautifully written story about the growing up life and aspirations of one feisty and longing-to-be fancy girl who although practicing her faith obediently, longs to be free from some of the conforms of the Mennonite lifestyle.

Beaman, a girl, not unlike any other girlie girl, striving for her chance at a life free from head coverings and traditional clothing, as her desires since childhood grow to break free from tradition. We learn a lot about the Mennonite way of life,
Pamela
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know author Marian Beaman, at least not in person. But I’ve been reading her blog for more than a year, including her posts in which she explores the world she inhabited growing up Mennonite. I got hooked on her life story, and thus was looking forward to her memoir MENNONITE DAUGHTER: The Story of a Plain Girl. This book did not disappoint and even rose above my expectations. I fell into the life of the young Mennonite girl, Marian, as I read about her life of being "plain" while ...more
Melodie Davis
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love biographies, autobiographies, and memoir—including the memories of ordinary citizens. When we read a memoir, don’t most of us look for epiphanies and connections that may be similar to our own lives or upbringing?

Marian Longenecker Beaman’s debut book, Mennonite Daughter: The Story of a Plain Girl, takes the reader through early childhood events and memories—some of them funny and heartwarming and others that are painful: difficult to take and understand.

Early on I was drawn to Marian’s
Susan Weidener
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One might say that Marian Longenecker Beaman’s memoir, Mennonite Daughter: The Story of a Plain Girl, serves as a template for woman finding voice through writing. Written half a century after the events depicted, the author was charged with the painstaking work of going back in time―a time fraught with memories requiring a careful analysis of her main characters and her reactions and responses to them as a young girl, growing up in the 1950s as a Mennonite in Pennsylvania’s Lancaster County. ...more
Karen
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this touching memoir of her life growing up in a Mennonite community and later coming to the decision that she would leave the church, but not her relationship with God, Marian Longenecker Beaman touches on many common elements of a young woman’s coming of age story, such as patriarchy, agency, and culture.

Through her strong personality and her struggle to understand why?, Marian gradually comes to accept the life she is meant to lead, and realizes that she carries forward into her new life
Dnicebear
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I long anticipated this book, as Ms Longanecker Beaman brought readers to her blog along with her in a 6 year process of planning and preparing. Oooh, the sensory impressions! And, they are sprinkled with lots of humor and all united under a story arc and themes.

I was magically transported into this multi-generation Lancaster Mennonite family. Going to a family reunion, "All my aunts were shaped like pears, and my uncles like apples, except for lean Uncle Clyde." (79)

My heart hurts at the ways
Jill
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Over the years, I’ve gotten to know author Marian Beaman through her blog on WordPress. Each week she shares snip-its of her life growing up in the Mennonite community in Pennsylvania. I especially enjoy her Aunt Ruthie’s diary excerpts. As a child, I visited the Amish country in Lancaster, but I didn’t know much about the Mennonites, so her blog has taught me so much. When I learned Marian planned to write a memoir, I anxiously awaited its publication. Marian’s memoir MENNONITE DAUGHTER: The ...more
April Yamasaki
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately drawn in by the prologue that tells how Marian as a young school teacher was called before the bishops, and of course I just had to skip forward to read the rest of that story near the end of the book. Only then was I ready to go back and start at the beginning. For those of us plain or fancy, Mennonite or not, there's lots to love in this book--how one woman looks back on her life with compassion and even forgiveness for those who have wronged her, how she grows to accept her ...more
Nancy Chadwick
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mennonite Daughter is wonderfully written! Beaman leaves nothing out when telling of her coming-of-age story in a Mennonite family as she finds her way through her roots to become the person she's wanted to be. Depicted with emotions and fears, challenges and rewards, her story is authentic. I enjoyed seeing the well-placed photos, especially the ones in the back of the book, and even reading the recipes! Though she considered herself a plain girl, Beaman was far from it in Mennonite Daughter.

Sandra McKenna
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very interesting memoir.
Firstly, I have to admit to a total ignorance of the Mennonite culture.
Marian has penned an informative and easy to read story detailing her strict upbringing and close-knit family, in their home county of Lancaster in Pennsylvania.
Luci Miller
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I fully enjoyed Mennonite Daughter by Marian Beaman, especially because there were so many experiences I could relate to my own. Footwashing, wearing a covering, communion twice a year, a stern circle of Mennonite men reproving her for her dress style--while I never actually experienced that last one, I know of another woman who did, so I "get" the intimidation and emotional upset such a reproach would bring.

While both of us were born into Mennonite homes, unlike me, Marian chose to leave the
Nancy  Price
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

I've read a number of Amish/Mennonite novels and have visited the Lancaster area several times, so I was familiar with many of the unique characteristics of the Mennonite church, but I enjoyed reading this memoir about growing up as a Mennonite. Although my own childhood was very different, there were some incidents that brought back similar memories of growing up in the late 1950's, particularly those about the scissors sharpener, the
Joan Rough
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gifted storyteller, Marian Beaman, tells us in beautifully descriptive words, about growing up Mennonite and how she moved beyond church restrictions to become the strong and beautiful woman she had dreamed of as a child. It's a love letter to life, filled with innocence, faith, family, and feminist values, despite her father's continuous disapproval of a spirited, willful, and independent daughter.
Liz
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fascinated to read about Marian’s Mennonite upbringing. Her way of sharing and showing the details about ‘plain’ clothes and plain living puts the reader into the scenes with Marian. Her journey from Plain to Fancy kept me turning the pages of this memoir!
Sally Constain
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting and engaging memoir. We learn about Mennonite culture in this coming of age story which is beautifully enhanced with photos and charming drawings. Also included are some recipes, a glossary and book club questions. Reading this is a unique and delightful experience.
Selene
This book was hard for me to enjoy. It was like reading a diary that didn't always flow in a good pattern. Because it was not easy reading, I didn't finish the book.
Linda Hoye
Jul 04, 2019
Lisa Enqvist
Oct 12, 2019
Marian Beaman
Jun 01, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: have-read

• The Day the Angels Fell
  • A Mother for His Twins
  • Light from Distant Stars
  • MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend
  • The Girl Who Came Home to Cornwall: A feelgood romance set in Cornwall (Tremarnock Book 5)
  • Sing!: How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church
  • No One Ever Asked
  • Death on the Danube (Travel Can Be Murder #1)
  • Where the Girls Are (Ted Darling Crime Series, #11)
  • Why Does Santa Wear Red?: …and 100 Other Christmas Curiousities Unwrapped!
  • Molly Finds Her Purr
  • The Ghost Tree
  • The Unexpected Waltz
  • The Darkest Hour
  • Christmas in My Heart 26
  • The Miraculous Journey: Anticipating God in the Christmas Season
Marian Longenecker Beaman is a former professor at Florida State College in Jacksonville, Florida. Her memoir, Mennonite Daughter: The Story of a Plain Girl, records the charms and challenges of Mennonite girlhood in mid-twentieth century Pennsylvania. The writer’s formative years coincided with the decade before which the Lancaster Conference of the Mennonite Church experienced major change, ...more