Start by marking “The Song of Francis” as Want to Read:
The Song of Francis

The Song of Francis

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Francis is so full of God's love that he wants to sing His praises. His glorious singing inspires birds of every color, and even the sun and moon, to join him in joyful celebration. Tomie dePaola's simple text and vibrant illustrations bring the spirit of Saint Francis of Assisi to life for even the youngest children. And he reminds us how sweet it is to rejoice and give t ...more
Published February 28th 2009 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published February 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Song of Francis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Song of Francis

Sheila
Mar 16, 2009 rated it liked it
This was very, very simple. I know it's a picture book, but I like picture books that give just a tad more info than that one did. Still, pretty pictures and a very general but sweet introduction to Saint Francis of Assisi. I liked the focus on singing and love.
momma.hailey
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simple and sweet. Would recommend for under 6, although we all enjoyed it.
Alicia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Sweet, simple story with beautiful art. I would say it is aimed for really young children.
Margaret Chind
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
Tomie dePaola is a children's book author/illustrator that I became familiar with in my youth. He has a vast array of books under his name and thankfully some are with a Christian, if not event Catholic belief which is not always easy to find in the world of picture books. Yet, while it seems almost everyone and list I come in contact with just loves Tomie dePaolo's work, I just seem to find myself a bit ambivalent. This book was a purchase to go along with the recommendation from Memoria Press ...more
Laurie Gray
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Song of Francis by award-winning author and illustrator Tomie dePaola, introduces preschoolers to the joyful spirit of Saint Francis of Assisi. Francis is alone except for a small angel who follows him everywhere and calls him “Little Poor One.” Yet Frances is so filled with the love of God that he begins to sing. “Come and bless the Lord, because the Lord loves you.” The sun and moon and birds of all colors join him in the glorious song. The sun eventually leaves the sky, but God’s love rem ...more
Patricia
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Tomie dePaola uses an Eric Carle collage technique in this book that sets it apart from his other work and is still TdP and lovely.

It's about St. Francis and his love of singing. It includes a song, but no notes, so I didn't know how to sing it nor how it should sound. It is for young children, in the sense that it uses different birds to teach colors.

As a singer, I love this message: "Francis was so filled with the love of God that he wanted to sing, to tell everyone how much God loved them." H
Josiah
Jan 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is a nice book, short and sweet and not overly ambitious in its intent. The Song of Francis does a good job of introducing to the youngest children an historical religious figure whose personal sense of peace is as legendary today as it was during the days that he lived, and whose good deeds saved lives and help change the perspectives of other people.

Tomie dePaola definitely breaks away from his typical artistic style in the making of this book. I wouldn't have ever guessed him as the a
Veronica Ruiz
I really enjoyed this book. What made me chose this book is the beautiful, colorful cover. On the cover it is what looks like a priest or monk. This book was written by Tomie dePaola and I remember my teacher reading his books to the class when I in second grade. As I read I learned that the Francis the book is referring to is St. Francis. He is known for caring for animals. In the book Francis sings to the birds, the angels and to God. This book had such beautiful pictures filled with color. Al ...more
Earl
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
A very simple introduction to the life of Saint Francis of Assisi- of how he was moved to song by God's love. Collage illustrations are used, which I think is not typical of dePaola's regular style.

I read this as part of We Give Books' Season's Reading Challenge in which they donate two books for every book read on their site through January 4. Take part: http://www.wegivebooks.org/give/winter

Treasa
Francis is so full of love for God that he needs to sing, but there is no one around to hear his song. So he sings to the sun and moon and birds, telling them how much God loves them.

I didn't love this one as much as dePaola's other book about St. Francis. But this one is definitely for a younger audience and would be a perfect way to introduce little ones to St. Francis.
Bobby
Mar 19, 2009 rated it liked it
A simple tale of Francis of Assisi that highlights his apprecation of nature as God's creation. I enjoyed the paper-cut illustrations and the color. One that children will appreciate more than adults.
Jen
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb
The illustrations for this book were beautiful. I don't know how true the story was, as I'm not versed in the history of St. Francis, but I think the story is definitely within the spirit of his life.
Lesley Looper
The papercut illustrations were different from dePaola's usual fare, but I liked them. Simple book here about St. Francis of Asissi. Would give it a 2.5, given the chance, but it's worth the round-up to a 3.
Tina Bartholoma
"religious, singing, birds, praise, actually rather short"
Cws
Apr 15, 2009 added it
Shelves: je-picture-books
JEPic-deP
Teri
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
While I wasn't crazy about the story (sorry, St. Francis), I thought the illustrations were amazing. I just loved them.
Jenn
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, faith
Colorful. Different from DiPaola's usual style.
Karen
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dad, ellie, jacob, mom
Not one of his better books but it was still ok.
Kate Hastings
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Preschool to grade 2 saints francis singing
Shelves: christian
When St. Francis sings, all the birds and the sun and the sky rejoice.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations. Great story
Susan
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
Sunday school should be this succinct and lovely.
Eva Leger
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
1.5 - A bit too simple for our taste. Julia had an inkling of what was to come - she kept going past this time and time again until I finally forced it on us. :(
Mckinley
Sweet focus on singing for joy
Melissa
Jun 23, 2009 added it
Shelves: faith, picturebooks
DePaola channels Matisse...cut paper collage, rich color. Does not quote St Francis.
Lydia
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found this to be extremely poetic with beautiful art. Lovely.
Alice
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
I liked the pictures and the story, but I hate to say it ..nothing super special about it! I like Tomie de Paola's works. so its as still true to him just not gushing with praise!
Carol
Feb 08, 2011
Meg Barnard
May 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola