Start by marking “Sobre la libertad (Spanish Edition)” as Want to Read:
Sobre la libertad (Spanish Edition)

Read Book* *Different edition

Sobre la libertad (Spanish Edition)

Sobre la libertad es una gran defensa de la libertad de pensamiento y expresi�n, un apasionada discurso de la tolerancia y el respeto debido a las creencias o minor�as disidentes. Fue b�sicamente concebido como una protesta contra el moralismo coercitivo que imperaba en la Inglaterra victoriana. Mill trat� de defender una concepci�n de la vida pol�tica caracterizada por la ...more
Published May 4th 2019 by Independently Published (first published April 1859)

To ask other readers questions about Sobre la libertad, please sign up.
Tom Gray Later in the essay, Mill states that this holds true only for opinions. if this opinion is translated into action then there may be grounds for suppre…moreLater in the essay, Mill states that this holds true only for opinions. if this opinion is translated into action then there may be grounds for suppressing it. Using Mill's example, if this opinion is used to excite an angry mob to violence then it is permissible to sanction it. If it were printed on placards or handbills to excite the mob then its expression could be suppressed.

The issue is, of course, just when does opinion translate into action and just what constitutes action. If someone has website in which they advocate violence, should they run afoul of the law? If they do not directly advocate violence but promote hate that will trend to make readers tend toward hateful actions, does that constitute the advocacy of violence(less)
Nat I think the essay is pretty plainly written. There are some of the complex sentence structures that you often see it stuff from the 19th century (lots…moreI think the essay is pretty plainly written. There are some of the complex sentence structures that you often see it stuff from the 19th century (lots of semicolons), but overall, it's not really difficult. There are a couple of odd words, and some parts were historical context is handy (one bit that confused me is the "Maine Law", which he mentions late in the book. Turns out it was the specific name of an early alcohol prohibition law). On the whole though, I think most people could read this pretty easily and understand it. (less)

Start your review of Sobre la libertad (Spanish Edition)
Stephen
WARNING: Some of my political views are discussed in this VERY LONG review. I don't think there is anything offensive but with politics, you never know. Therefore, in case anything I say upsets anyone, I have included several very CUTE kitten photos by way of apology.

6.0 stars. On Liberty has secured a spot on my list of “All Time Favorite” books. I have gone through a pretty significant political re-examination over the last several years (maybe a lot of us have). A few years ago, if you were
Ahmad Sharabiani
On Liberty, John Stuart Mill

On Liberty is a philosophical work by the English philosopher John Stuart Mill, originally intended as a short essay. The work, published in 1859, applies Mill's ethical system of utilitarianism to society and the state. Mill attempts to establish standards for the relationship between authority and liberty.

He emphasizes the importance of individuality, which he conceived as a prerequisite to the higher pleasures—the summum bonum (The highest good) of utilitarianism
notgettingenough
Anybody interested in free speech must surely be concerned with the situation of Bret Weinstein in the US. See for instance his hour interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fEAP...

One can only be deeply ashamed that non-conservative media has (I understand) all but ignored this story. Curious to have a statement of why this is so, I've written to NPR to find out why they have not reported one word on it. I am waiting for a response.

Meanwhile, John Stuart Mill's words to remind us of wha
Rebecca McNutt
I've been meaning to read this old classic for a long time now, and I'm really glad I finally got around to it. Regardless of whether or not you agree with its ideas, On Liberty is certainly worth a look at. In its short but complex look at society and individuality, it manages to reach law, philosophy and politics all at once and really leave you thinking. Unfortunately my mom took the copy of it we have to Belize before I could finish the last two pages so technically I didn't complete it, but ...more
Ian
Written in the 1850s, parts of this classic text are a little dated, but mostly it remains surprisingly relevant to the modern world. Probably it’s most famous for its second chapter, where Mill gives an impassioned defence of free speech. It’s noticeable that he sees social pressure as a more insidious threat to free speech than government legislation. How relevant is the quote below to the modern phenomenon of the social media mob?

“…there needs protection also against the tyranny of the prevai
Jonfaith
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theory
Eccentricity has always abounded when and where strength of character has abounded; and the amount of eccentricity in a society has generally been proportional to the amount of genius, mental vigor, and moral courage which it contained.

It would be pretentious to suggest I dedicated my reading to Ahmed Merabet, yet it would be untrue to exclaim otherwise. We've drowned in debate about liberty this last week. Somehow I regard that as most encouraging. I found Mill’s treatise riveting and incisive
T
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fundamental text in the Philosophical canon, but we still mustn't overlook the overt imperialism, naivety and intellectualism which seeps throughout these pages...
Valdimar
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, philosophy
MILL: the only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way...
ME: Yes. Good
MILL: ...so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it...
ME: Great. Go on. keep em comin
MILL: ..therefore Neoliberalism
ME: No
Rosie Nguyễn
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is so great that whenever being asked about it, I'm just speechless, restless, wondering how to give the right word. It's not easy to read, and not easy to make a review. I keep delaying to note my thoughts about it, partly afraid I'm not good enough to comment on such a masterpiece. Yet I try, for my own record, for my later review on this review, and for the future reflection.

On Liberty is an excellent work on human rights and individual's relationship with society. What scores here i
Capsguy
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-irish
It's amazing how it appears as if the older the work, the more relevant it is to today. Sure, this is anything but 'old' in comparison to Socrates and other writers, but this over 150 year old document still serves well today, definitely worth the few hours reading and I recommend it to everyone.

It is logically structured and written with ease of reading and understanding without the sacrifice of the quality of his argument.

As mentioned by Mill, he's not necessarily bringing anything new to the
A Man Called Ove
4.5/5 I was listening to an interview of Mr.Anupam Kher today on a 'Newslaundry' podcast. The interviewer was questioning him persistently on why he supports restrictions on freedom-of-expression ? I think Mr.Kher (I am a semi-fan of his), gave a number of arguments which were moral and not legal, niceties and not crimes, and failed to distinguish between the 2. This makes me wonder whether even those who suppose themselves to be liberals truly understand the basic reasons behind freedom-of-expr ...more
Rosianna
Feb 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not that I agree entirely with Mill's ideas about the structures and general functions of the individual and society, but this was a fascinating insight into the society I live in now, and how I regard my own place in society, if I have one. Most interesting were his points about freedom of expression, and his ability to move from our justifications for freedom of expression to freedom of tastes and pursuits without even flinching. Definitely worth a read, whatever your political persuasion.
DJ
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a classic. Giving due credit, I must acknowledge Prof. Keith Eubanks for inadvertently turning me on to Mill. I think Eubanks once quoted Mill, perhaps in his course syllabus, and I found the quote (something about expecting more from students, and how they will perform to these higher standards given the expecatation and opportunity) intriguing.

Anyway, if you're interested in learning where I get a lot of my thoughts on being an individual, read this book (or read essays/books by
Patrick Peterson
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political, clssics
I read this in college in the 70s. I remember it very positively, except for his waffling on liberty in certain areas, such as allowing the state to provide education. That was a crack that statists drove a Mack truck through and further confused liberty lovers ever since. Too bad, since so much of the book is tightly logical and well written.
Jon Nakapalau
A foundational work addressing representative democracy that continues to shape ideology today. After the 2016 Presidential Election I would strongly suggest both parties hold 'JSM focus groups' to try to reconnect with the American people.
Sean Gabb
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During the libertarian rebirth of the past generation, it has become fashionable to sneer at the essay On Liberty. It is, I admit, a flawed work, and I will shortly try to explain why this is so. Before then, however, I will put a case for the defence - to show why, despite its flaws, the essay remains a valuable weapon in the libertarian arsenal, and will remain one when Rand and Nozick will chiefly be names found in histories of twentieth century thought.

Mill is at his very best in Chapter II,
Kyle van Oosterum
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
As the title of this essay suggests, we are dealing with the fundamental social force which when deficient, or when in excess, necessarily provokes chaos; Liberty. Meticulously undertaken, this essay presents the fiercest defence of individualism, captivating the reader with its endorsement of human excellence and self-government. Indeed, Mill's main antagonist is the democratisation of the masses, how we subdue ourselves to the tyranny of public opinion and passively accept mediocrity. Along th ...more
Minh
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, favorite
I FREAKING LOVE, ADORE, UPHOLD, CHERISH, ADMIRE, REVERE (and other synonyms) THIS GODDAMN AWESOME BOOOOOOOOK!!!!

If after gay marriage legalisation comes book marriage legalisation I would have considered "On Liberty" one of my top suitors ahahahha. Written in 1859 by John Stuart Mill, this philosophical work examines state authority and individualism, and it was so well written that Thomas Hardy once said "All 1860 undergraduates memorised this book by heart." My political view changes so much
Matty-Swytla
AMAZING.

I think Mill's book, and especially his words on free speech, should be given to every student to read and reflect on. I couldn't agree more on the stifling effects of public pressure and blasphemy laws - every idea needs to be evaluated, dissected, and criticised, for it is only in this way that bad ones can be weeded out. People need to think for themselves, to explore, to contemplate, not be moulded into carbon copies of their teachers or relatives, conforming totaly to the majority,
Hannah
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think Mill's ideas are perfect in every single situation, but he makes a convincing argument. In general, I agree with his ideas on the harm principle, individuality, and government. I just think that they break down when taken to the extremes of human behavior that we have seen in various court cases.
I took off a star because holy cow. He uses so many words. Too many words. He could benefit from a copy editor. This would have been easier to follow and made more sense if he had stopped
Valerie
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ian
Recommended to Valerie by: Stephen
I read Stephen's masterful review, and decided I should read this. As an ebook...but it will take me a while. Each densely packed sentence is easily a page long.

I finally finished this, but I think I'll be rereading it. I wonder what life would be like if I tried to run my classroom on these principles?

André
Liberty is an issue that concerns us all. It's in everyone's mouth but, frequently, most people prefer to demand it rather than thinking about it in-depth.
Mill's "On Liberty", published in 1859, is a powerful essay that highlights the liberty of an individual and the importance of Liberty from a social point of view. The author constitutes his work on five chapters: Introduction; Of the liberty of thought and discussion; On individuality as one of the elements of well-being; On the limits to th
Nina Kennett
good pts, but i just cant even with the utilitarist arguments.
i owe nada to society, john.
Adam
Apr 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1800-s, philosophy
An indisputably great work of philosophy. One, though, whose most valuable insights are too often ignored by today's left-liberals and one that is mentioned with astonishing frequency these days by people who seem to be actively opposed to much that Mill would have thought important--the set of "conservatives" who like to claim that they are "classical liberals," probably on the basis of a quick read through a Wikipedia page and some creepy Randian blogs.

Of course, Millian liberalism actually s
Sumirti Singaravel
Never have Liberty found such a passionate, clear, beautiful and eloquent defence. There are few books which has the capacity to instill the faith that written words can change the world, if they are done well, and this is one such book. This should remain as a source of greatest inspiration for all those who want to defend truth and guard their true-selves at all the times. Here is a man who rebels with grace, kindness, and consideration. A book to read to realize how much of freedom we enjoy t ...more
Doc Opp
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant book. It should be required reading in every high school in America, and anybody who disagrees with the premises and arguments within should be subject to legal sanction. ;)
Stephan
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
‘On liberty’ by John Stuart Mill is by far the best account I have ever read so far concerning the protection of individual rights. Mill is en exponent of liberty, not of democracy, because democracy is imperfect, whereas liberty is not. Liberty is perfect thus democracy should aspire towards liberty and not vice versa. Many people speak about democracy as if it was liberty, but it is not, and can never be. Democracy is a pragmatic system that attempts liberty. Mill mentions the greatest challen ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
John Stuart Mill's discourse on social liberties regarding the nature of power exercised over an individual within a society, an issues between civil liberty and authority...

I rather appreciate the closing statement of the work:

"A government cannot have too much of the kind of activity which does not impede, but aids and stimulates, individual exertion and development. The mischief begins when, instead of calling forth the activity and powers of individuals and bodies, it substitutes its own ac
Khari
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Huzzah! I have finished.

This book took me forever to read. Four months, can you believe that? I can't. A mere 187 pages taking 4 months?! Unbelievable.

I forgive myself somewhat though, because the diction of this book is incredibly dense. The ideas that he is talking about require thought and consideration, so I don't blame myself for taking so long.

I quite enjoyed the book. It's the first time I've read it, and so it was interesting to read the seminal document for the importance of the freedom
Daniel Wright
This book is still well worth reading for its still-relevant defense of freedom of speech alone. Some of the later parts let it down slightly, especially on education. But the whole of this book is important for understanding the history behind how liberalism got to be how it is.
Mental Health and...: Rest for Resistance 1 2 Jul 24, 2019 07:45PM
Freedom to speak your mind. 1 7 Feb 18, 2018 10:48AM
Liberty or Death? 1 6 Jul 31, 2017 02:49PM
Libert or Death? 1 1 Jul 31, 2017 02:48PM
Tyrannicide vs. genocide 1 3 Jun 22, 2017 10:47AM
"... the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community... is to prevent harm to others." 1 13 May 15, 2016 09:04AM

• Leviathan
  • Reflections on the Revolution in France
  • Critique of Pure Reason
  • Being and Nothingness
  • Democracy in America
  • The Trial and Death of Socrates (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo (death scene only))
John Stuart Mill, English philosopher, political economist, civil servant and Member of Parliament, was an influential liberal thinker of the 19th century. He was an exponent of utilitarianism, an ethical theory developed by Jeremy Bentham, although his conception of it was very different from Bentham's.

News & Interviews

“A person may cause evil to others not only by his actions but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury.” 366 likes
“He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.” 314 likes