Start by marking “Broken Silence (Rock Bottom, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Silence (Rock Bottom, #1)

Broken Silence

(Rock Bottom #1)

Published May 13th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Broken Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Silence

Jan
May 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF

There is absolutely nothing working for me here.
I am bored out of my mind.
At 56%, not much is happening still. The plot is weak.
The characters are flat, both of them defeated, almost depressed, living in a miserable state of mind. I wish there was a balance.
There is no chemistry, their interactions seem forced.
I don't like even the poems written by the MCs. 🤷♀
I don't usually rate books I don't finish, but this is so bad that I am tossing a 1 Stars.
Just shoot me now.

Karla
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF @50%

The teacher/student story had potential for me but sadly I didn’t work out. From what I read it was just ok. My biggest issue was I felt no connection with the Mc’s. I understand it’s a slow burn and I don’t have a problem with it, I actually love it, but other issues took too much of the focus from building the connection with these characters. So I just rather call it quits and I’ll leave at that.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Why 2 stars?

This book was boring and uninspired. The MCs had zero chemistry.

Much was made of Justin's raw poetic talent, but the included poetry was cringey AF. I also never understood Foster's marriage; what in the world did he ever see in that woman?

I started skimming halfway through. The story did pick up in the second half, but it was too little, too late.

I wish I liked Stevens' writing style more because I like the IDEA of her stories; sadly, the execution almost always falls flat for me
Cadiva
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, powerful, emotionally charged and filled with some wonderful poetry, this is a truly stunning romance from Felice.

Age gap, slow burn, opposites attract, professor/student, different side of the tracks, there are so many ways to describe this narrative but it's ultimately about what's on the surface not mattering at all when you find your perfect partner.

I adored prickly Justin, his past something which sat heavy on his shoulders every day, how he didn't seem able to catch a break, how
Fani *loves angst*
DNF at 60%

I'm incredibly bored with this one :( There is no chemistry between the MCs, and what little there was died when 42 year old 'Professor' started acting like a simpering debutante when the ton's most infamous black sheep asked her for a dance.

The beginning was exquisite, but you can only drag it so far without the heroes even kissing each other, while convincing your readers that there's passion and lust galore between them at the same time. Guess what: I wasn't convinced. In the begin
Debra
Fans of opposites attract and an age-gap, you are not going to want to miss Broken Silence! I quickly fell in love with Justin, the ex-con doing everything he can to overcome some bad choices in his past, even taking a college poetry class to help get his degree. Foster is the buttoned-up, bow tie wearing professor, still reeling from a divorce from someone who wasn’t very good for or to him at all.

Did I mention how much I loved Justin! Under his rough exterior, he was a poet and didn’t even kn
Lelyana

Felice make it a habit breaking my heart with her stories. My first thought that this is a Professor - student story, should be sexy and steamy. But there are so much about Justin and Foster that I can relate to a real life.
It's hard not to give a spoiler about the story. Broken Silence mostly telling about Justin, the ex-con student who fell hard for his proper Professor in poetry class. Seventeen years senior his age.
Foster wasn't immune for Justin's sexy charm, but he was just got a bad divor
Mia Sciberras
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is much to love in this gorgeous story of two lost men, finding one another in the midst of individual sorrow. Justin and Foster should not work based on all of their own doubts but here Felice has woven a story of love, redemption, self discovery and forgiveness. You'll be hard-pressed to find two characters who needed each other more - the young ex-con, trying desperately to find his way on a world where he still hasn't forgiven himself for his past wrong-doings, and the older professor, ...more
Tammy
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-read
3.5⭐'s A very sweet read! 🤩
Felice Stevens
May 14, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Broken Silence is now live!
Universal Link: getbook.at/BrokenSilence
Amazon US http://bit.ly/JustinandFoster
Amazon UK: http://bit.ly/Broken_Silence
Siobhan
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m a big Felice Stevens fan, will happily jump into each new release the author puts out into the world, meaning I devoured Broken Silence.

In truth, I was a wee bit tentative about this one at first. The first couple of chapters were interesting, yes, but it did not grip me in the way I had expected. However, this did not last long. It did not take much before I was completely sucked into the story. I was addicted, I powered through it, and there were plenty of points where I thought this one
Michael
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, there are a few things that I look for when I’m reading. I want to be able to connect with the characters in some way, to feel what they feel and think what they think. I want to be able to completely immerse myself in their story. It doesn’t matter what genre I’m reading. If I can’t, or if something happens that pulls me out of the story, the book becomes a DNF for me.

I have never had a DNF from Felice Stevens.

Justin has entirely too much responsibility and guilt for a guy his age. He’s hol
Joyfully Jay
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Felice Stevens has released an incredibly tender and moving romance novel entitled Broken Silence. Complete with several passages of original poetry that are both heart-wrenching in their painful honesty and, later, so very sweet in their expression, the story is told from a dual point of view with Foster and Justin alternating when narrating the chapters in the story. As such, you really get a clear understanding of every foible and misguided belief these two men h
Jennifer Reilley
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Felice is one of my all time favorite authors and this book of course did not disappoint. I loved it. I loved the emotion of the words from the characters and the written words of Justin. I felt all of the emotions throughout this story

Justin is in college struggling to get by. Just living but not happily. His past is holding him hostage. He has a loving family if only he knew how to let go of the past and take all of their love and support.

Foster is a professor just going through life and not
Dawn Nicole Costiera
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Felice Stevens is an absolute favorite author of mine for a few reasons. Every time, I pick up one of her books I am in awe of her talent. All of her books and characters end up taking residence in my heart.....
I loved the student/teacher romance in Broken Silence!! A bit taboo, a lot of sexy and oh sooo sweet. I adored Justin and Foster's journey. Two lost souls who find themselves in each other. God they were beautiful inside and out.

The poetry throughout wove this story together effortlessly
books are love
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Foster’s story more than Justin’s. This is two men on separate journeys that lead them to one another and this is what helps them find their way and heal. For Foster he becomes alive again. He learns to live and be full of life. He learns to love poetry and being again. Justin shows him that life is meant to live and embrace not become a museum. Not to have yourself locked in a tower. For Justin he learns to express himself and let someone in. He learns that not everything is always as ...more
Bo
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Done the Right Way

I have recently expressed my frustration about the increasing number of books which feature a bisexual or a Gay-4-You theme. One of my reasons is that so many of them handle the narrative by just popping up with "OMG let me try that" without adequate character development.

Then why did I love this book in which an early 20's ex-con who was always bisexual before being sent to prison but is now exclusively into men falls under the spell of his 42-year-old college professor whose
DTM
Broken Silence is such a gorgeous, May/December, opposites attract, slow burn, GFY-BI, hurt/comfort story that stole my heart, and there was no way I was putting it down until I was finished. Justin, a student and Foster, a poetry professor come from completely different worlds and both are weighed down by heavy baggage yet are unexpectedly drawn to each other. The writing is beautiful, and I loved the dialogue. I am not a poet by any stretch of the imagination but let me tell you, the poems jus ...more
Lisa
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing book by Felice Stevens! As with all her books, once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. The writing pulls you in immediately, and you feel like you're fully immersed in the story. I haven't read too many books with age gaps and wasn't sure how I'd like it. Felice portrayed the MCs as equals in e every way, and the age difference felt like nothing to me. I was happy to receive an ARC copy & am glad to leave this review.
Sandy S
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date May 2019

Justin Molina has secrets. He’s served his time but remains a prisoner of his past, unable to forgive himself for failing his family when they needed him most. Justin’s grief is overwhelming, but he keeps silent and focuses on his goals. About to graduate college, he tries to keep his head above water—no matter how many times life keeps knocking him down. When he’s forced to register for a poetry-writing class, Justin discovers putting words to his fe
Funzee Shu
I’d always been alone, living in silence....

Justin, an ex-con with the burden of regrets he’d been carried after the mistake he did in the past. Learn his mistake and paid it, and now he’s trying to start a new life, to be a better person, graduate college and get a decent job. Closed himself from the world, stay under the radar, play safe, working three jobs to keep the cash flows, Justin has no time for himself. Joining the Poetry Writing class on the last minute has change his life, because
AnnMarie
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Broken Silence is the first book in the Rock Bottom series by Felice Stevens. It's a May/December romance between a Professor and his student which really pulls at the heartstrings.

At first look, Justin Molina is a bad boy with his tattoos and constant scowl. What you won't see from his appearance is that he is a deeply scarred young man, one that has been in prison and who blames himself for his father's death and his mother ending up disabled. When he leaves prison he is determined to make som
Marcia
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! If I could give this book 10 stars I would. Felice Stevens outdid herself in telling Justin and Foster's story. What a heartwarming and emotional story. I have loved Felice's writing from the first time I read one of her books, but this one mad me fall in love with her writing all over again. Neither Justin nor Foster have had life easy, and the way in which Felice tells their story and their search for happiness is simply beautiful. Not only did I fall in love with Justin and Foster, but ...more
Eileen
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional, heart felt read. Broken Silence was a book that I could not put down. Yet, it was also a book that I did not want to finish because I was not ready for Foster's and Justin's story to end. I loved the book so much!
A journey of life, when life takes a turn. Justin and Foster both have to find their way from the hardships life has given them. Poetic words guide the way for both of them. A truly great read!
Earlyn
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
no barriers.

May to December romance. However it was well written and thought out
Bad boy Justine did not know he had a creative poetic side until he started taking Foster's class.
Justine is divorced and coming to terms. Unexpected he never thought the writings of a young tattooed man would bring him to his knees.
Loved this charming romance.
Tina
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

4 stars.
Kendra Stillwell
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always this story was phenomenal. I loved reading about Foster and Justin, how each completes the other. The dynamics between them are off the charts hot! You’ll never read a professor and student story that equates to this one! Well done!!
Tina
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
6 stars!!!

Felice has struck yet again with a book that will grip your heart and soul and take you on the ride of your life. In true Felice fashion, we have broken characters who have so much baggage that they feel helpless for love.

You will experience all the feels and emotions. With heartbreaking life stories, two broken souls come together and mend each other completely. Yes, I'm being vague but I refuse to give away a single detail so that you can experience this masterpiece with eyes wide
Faye Kennedy
💖  I loved the start of this book as Justin's honour had me laughing. Poor Justin if it wasn't one thing knocking him back it was another. Money's trees are a dream, not reality with juggling 3 jobs. Secrets and the chemistry buzzing but the teacher/ student thing they fought it or hid from eyes. I was hoping Benny gets a story that Ross might be his boe.  A great ending for these guys with fuzzy feelings.

Included ex-con, Bi sexual, struggling to get by, gay curious, virgin, sexy scenes, angst
Tracy Perry
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I just loved Justin & Foster! This book is emotional & beautifully heartwarming. Two broken men finding their way to each other, so amazing & beautiful. A Must Read!
« previous 1 3 next »
Felice Stevens has always been a romantic at heart. She believes that while life is tough, there is always a happy ending just around the corner. Her characters have to work for it, however. Like life in NYC, nothing comes easy and that includes love.

She lives in New York City with her husband and two children. Her day begins with a lot of caffeine and ends with a glass (or two) of red wine. She’s

Rock Bottom (2 books)
  • Imitation of Life (Rock Bottom # 2)