Start by marking “Love, Heather” as Want to Read:
Love, Heather

Love, Heather

What you see isn't always what you get.

Stevie never meant for things to go this far. When she and Dee--defiant, bold, indestructible Dee--started all this, there was a purpose to their acts of vengeance: to put the bullies of Woepine High School back in their place. And three months ago, Stevie believed they deserved it. Once her best friend turned on her, the rest of the
Hardcover
Published October 8th 2019 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Love, Heather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Heather

Start your review of Love, Heather
Nilufer Ozmekik
Four hating the guts of every kind of bullying, darkest, agitating, nail biter, disturbing but also educative, complicated, emotions all over the place, cannot gather my thoughts, I’m mumbling strange words, I think this book made me learn Gibberish stars!

“The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.”

I think this might be the best book which should be read by not only YAs but also by their parents as well. It’s provocative,
Felicia
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bullied become the bullies in this dark and timely drama.

“It’s people like us against the world, Stevie.” I roll my eyes and mutter, “You don’t even know me.” “Sure I do. You and me? We’re the same.”

Omggggg I hate not being able to say anything that would spoil this book. It's like holding onto a secret you've been told, just waiting for it to inevitably get out so you have others to say omggggg with.

The author has done a stellar job at capturing the gut-wrenching toll that bullying takes
Bren
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of realistic and dark YA.
Recommended to Bren by: Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
"Why is it such a big deal?"

"Get over it".

"grow up. Life's hard."

"Put on your big girl panties".

"It's not all about you, you know".

"is it REALLY that bad"?

If any of you, have heard those words, directed at you..or someone you care about..you need to read this book.

Some things are pretty bad. LIFE can be really bad sometimes.

And for Stevie things are bad and spiraling downhill fast. Does anyone care?

I found this book to be a bit of a masterpiece. I have read many dark YA books on Bullying. So, I
Erin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle

Wow.
Wow.
Oh my wow!

Laurie Petrou's main protagonist, Stevie, is a contender for best literary character of 2019. Few books literally break my heart but Love Heather may just have completely destroyed it forever. I am not really sure that I can just pick up another book and leave Stevie by herself. That's how special this book was to me.

I don't want to say a lot about the book because the less you know, the more I think the book will make you react. It doesn't mean that you and I will
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Wow!

I am a bit blown away but probably shouldn’t be. In some ways you could see the ending to this coming a mile away and in others it was completely unexpected. I was actually pretty much bawling by the end of the book. But I really liked it also because of that. It definitely made me think and feel.

The book is about a girl named Stevie, who, over the course of a year gets bullied by the popular kids in school after her and her best friend start hanging out with them for a while. Though they
NZLisaM
Eye-opening, timely, emotional, with jaw-dropping twists!

When fourteen year old Stevie is ostracised and bullied by the popular crowd, her best friend since childhood, Lottie, turns her back on her and sides with them. Unhappy and alone, Stevie is taken under her wing by fierce, fearless, loner Dee, and the two hatch a plan to strike back – give the bullies a taste of their own medicine. But when other students decide to exact their own revenge, things soon escalate into violence and
Yna the Mood Reader
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
"How bad does it have to be for us to do something? How much bad? How bad can we be in return? Can anything be evened out?"
Series: No.
Genre: YA Mystery/Thriller.
POV: First person.
Cliffhanger: No.

Content Warnings: Bullying. Transphobia on a support character. Sexual Harassment. Gun Safety. Cyber bullying. Toxic female friendships.

Read if: you are a teen movie and mystery fan. Also, just read it if you are a parent or a guardian, as well as a teen.

Love, Heather was a read that drew me
Erin Clemence
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Stevie is trying to survive in the jungle that is high school. Her oldest and dearest friend, Lottie, is pulling away from her; her mother is dating a new guy and does not spend time with her anymore; and her close relationship with Lottie’s family is falling apart. The only thing she still enjoys is her deep passion for movies, especially 1980s
MissBecka
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MissBecka by: Felicia
This struck me as some wonderful modern version of the movie Heaters.
A movie I LOVE!!!
The author puts her own twist on it and it's a good one ;)
I'm positive she was aware of this comparison since she references the movie several times throughout the book and even ties it into the title.
I do wish the ending had been a bit more drawn out since I feel like there was more that could have been addressed or just in more detail.

Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for my ARC.
Dennis
3.5/5 stars

This review will be very brief because it reflects bullying and can be triggering for those who suffered in high school from it. I think it left me feeling a bit raw and emotional, as I was bullied as a kid as well. It's a very quick read, and I think it's eye-opening at times. Love, Heather initially comes off as a Mean Girls-esque type of read, but as you dive into the story, it is much, much deeper. Love, Heather is a very fast read, and you can definitely finish it in one
Schizanthus Nerd
I gave myself some homework to complete before I would allow myself to pick up this book. I watched Heathers for the first time and it really helped having it fresh in my mind when I began reading. I understood references that likely would have whooshed over my head unnoticed otherwise and having just watched a revenge fantasy story, I had some idea of what was to come.
No one knows what she can do. No one has ever known.
Lottie and Stevie have been best friends all their lives. Stevie
Susan's Reviews
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Basic Plot: Young Stevie is hounded by bullies both physically and online. What to do? What to do?
She and her new friend Dee devise a way to get back at the bullies, but the entire project takes on a horrifying life of its own. This book gets better the further you get into the story = and the conclusion of this novel was truly riveting.
These type of stories need to be told: we must
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

Love, Heather is one of the most disturbing YA novels related to bullying I have read!

Please be aware that this book has bullying and assault triggers.

Stevie and Lottie have been friends since they've known about each other. And when Lottie starts to hang out with the popular kids, Stevie wants to fit in too. One thing leads to another, and Stevie gets bullied by them, which quickly leads to the whole school avoiding her.

Then Stevie
Melanie (mells_view)
Nothing’s a big deal until everything is.

*there are some assault/bullying triggers in this one.*

Stevie is a fourteen year old girl who is trying to fit in, stay close to her long time best friend, and just make it through her teen years and high school. Seems simple enough, but when you’re unexpectedly dragged into the popular crowd and then kicked out just as quickly, dealing can be a struggle. On top of that her home life is rather lonely, and in the loving bubble she found with her best
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Love, Heather by Laurie Petrou is a book about bullying that has an interesting concept. There are some entertaining aspects to this story, and the problems that arise for the main character are terrifying. However, the novel tries to tackle too many teen issues all at once, and there are numerous plot holes that affected my enjoyment of it.

At first glance, the book seems to be a spinoff of the 80s teen movie, Heathers. There are some ties to the movie, as it is
Cassie
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, netgalley-arcs
update: 8/19/19
Calling it a DNF 42% in. Many thanks to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC.

This made me a bit uncomfortable. The writing was fine, though the characters just felt like your basic high school bitches who think they're better than everyone. I feel like instead of channeling the bullying into a positive way with the girls standing up for themselves, it's just toxic.

There was at one point, about 37% in, something about the sun shining like an attention whore? It was... a bit
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5 star rounded to 4.

Well, I wasn't expecting THAT! This starts out like your usual YA book where the friends start getting mean and ostracizing one of their own. But the repercussions from this is where this read takes a darker turn and you realize this book is so much more than you thought it would be.

Taking from the Heathers and Veronicas (CORN NUTS!) view of revenge against the popular, we see how one remark, one rumor, one little shove can snowball into the retaliation of those who have
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, via Netgalley for an honest review.

“The high school cafeteria. The great leveler of high school movies. It's where the entire mass of beauties and weirdos come together to eat and do so much more: try to fit in, wish lunch would end, laugh with friends or stare at people they have crushes on. It is universally different and the same...”

“Nothing really seems to be happening, but everything matters.”

Things at Woepine
Ludwig
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"No one knows what is going on in anyone’s home, in anyone’s school, in anyone’s heart. Everything okay? We pack our lunches and go to school and spend all our waking hours pretending that nothing is happening, to us or anyone else. And then, sometimes, we get a nice, cool afternoon, where we watch TV or hang out by the lake, and maybe it is all okay, just for then, just for that time."

Stevie and and Lottie have been friends for forever, but S can't deny the tension that's growing between them
Obsidian
Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

Trigger warnings
: Transphobia and sexual assault.

So this book I thought was a very good look at how bullying can lead to actions that none of us would like to see happening in high schools today. The main character Stevie is being raised by her mother in a small town in Canada. Her father has left some time ago (the timeline issue I had will be discussed further below) and barely stays in contact with
Siobhan
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I feel privileged to have been allowed to read and review an advanced copy of this book thanks to Netgalley and the publisher, Crooked Lane Books.

Simply put, I adored it.

"Why doesn't anyone ever stop these guys? How different would the school be if they were as afraid as I am, if there were actual consequences for their actions, if they were somehow kept in line?"

When Stevie's best friend turns on her and everyone in school follows, school becomes a nightmare for her. In her new found
Jenn Rieken
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Holy shit...this was fantastic.

I read this in one sitting. Couldn't put it down.

The premise is a modern coming of age story inspired by various 80s and 90s teen films, but most significantly Heathers. This book hits all the big issues: bullying, rape culture, mental illness, LGBT, growing up on social media...and more.

The story is fast paced. The characters feel authentic. You know these people. You feel their emotions.

This is
Bridget
Laurie Petrou writes a hugely engrossing and hard-hitting novel that deals with some very serious issues in this gripping YA tale of bullying and evil.

Protagonist and young teen Stevie is, at the outset of this novel, secure in her life and beliefs. She has her childhood best friend, Lottie, along with Lottie's parents who are like her second family. Stevie is doing well at school but then things go downhill for her and she finds herself ostracised and targeted by bullies every day.

I felt so
Lisa Aiello
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
That was completely eye-opening and sobering. Bullying is so very wrong and destructive. Never more so than in today's age of social media where everyone feels they are entitled to a platform and the whole world is just hanging on them to weigh in on things. It is so much easier to sit behind the protection of a screen and tear apart someone else's life without having to consider the consequences...but I digress. This is a supposed to be a book review. Our heroine, oddly NOT named Heather, is ...more
Donna Hines
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
"Was it really that bad?"
I'll never forget being told the same or worse to suck it up, stay put, and continue being abused by your spouse. In other words stay silent when abuse is being handed down.
I didn't thankfully take this supportive advice and neither should anyone who is being abused, threatened, intimidated, or bullied into submission.
This is a time of the MeToo Movement. A time of strength, courage, optimism in the face of anger.
This is a time for love not hate.
Enter Stevie a young girl
Melissa In The City
wow! holy amazing!
i kind of want to read this a second time to pick up on anything missed now knowing what I know. This was a very dark book and i will admit I had a lot of emotions. I became so attached to Stevie and wanted to hug her and tell her high school isn’t forever. I had genuine tears in my eyes a few times. The author did a beautiful job at portraying High School Mean girls and the other side of it: the victim.
I also loved the 80s movies references. Having grown up watching
hannaღ
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
What made Love, Heather so harrowing is how realistic the events are that lead Stevie to do what she did. How quickly things amongst a group of friends can spiral out of control and how quickly one can find themselves as the outsider, as the bullied one.
And the books also shows what constant bullying and harassing can do to (young) people and this is what made this a really heartbreaking read.
I just didn't completely warm to the writing style and the dialogues - they were sometimes a little
Ben
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured this book! Laurie Petrou truly understands the darkness of the high school experience and heightens it to a delightful degree. This one is a must-read for any fans of the genre.

Full disclaimer: I got a free copy because Author Privilege, but I will buy one too. A great time for a teen thrillery person, which is very literally all of me.
Ashleigh
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love, Heather by Laurie Petrou was one emotional read. This was an amazing story about the trials and tribulations in teens in today's society. Petrou dives into bullying, rape culture, the pain and suffering youth endure from both. The book goes on to show the effects these things have on young impressionable teens. We even see the harsh effects that the main character turned to from feeling alone, misunderstood and isolated. Such a profound powerful read.

Love, Heather follows Stevie in her
Marissa
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this turned out t be more serious and relevant than I ever anticipated it to be.

Bullying, sexual assault, violence against women, toxic masculinity, gun violence.. all of the important topics that control our school were discussed.

Absolutely loved it.

• Jane Anonymous
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • Ricochet
  • Little Secrets
Author, Professor, PhD, drinker of tea.
Most of my adventures take place inside books.