Start by marking “Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories

Lunch with Lenin and Other Stories

Deborah Ellis's first collection of short stories explores the lives of children who have been affected directly, or indirectly, by drugs. Sometimes touching and often surprising, the stories are set against backdrops as diverse as the remote north and small town America to Moscow's Red Square and an opium farm in Afghanistan.

This is an unforgettable collection of stories
Published October 11th 2008 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside

MeggieBree
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Boot was my favourite story in this book!
Emily Janzne
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed everything about this book from its characters to its settings. I like how drugs were never the main focus, but rather something that is present in every story. My only complaint are the stories are a bit short and always leave you wanting more.
Anna
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young adults, especially those who've read Deborah Elli's work
I love Deborah Ellis but I'm somewhat lukewarm about collections of short stories and this explains the 3-star rating. A few of the stories were amazing/touching/heartwarming/heartbreaking.

Stories I particulary enjoyed:
"Pretty Flowers" (reminded me of The Breadwinner)
"Boot" (which made me want to cry at the end and I totally *loved* the symbolism)
"Prodigal" (a good story for sisters to read together)

Others like "Lunch with Lenin" (for which the book is named), "Dancing with Beads," and "Red He
Paula Schuck
Oct 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Chloe Sanders
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-356-5-8-2012
I love this book. Deborah Ellis wrote a book of short stories about young adults whose lives were either directly or indirectly affected by drugs The stories are sometimes depressing, but they are so realistic and relatable (especially to teenagers) that I couldn't help but grab onto the stories. I don't think I had a favorite story. However, the two that stood out the most to me were 1) the handicapped kid who was deserted by his "friends" with a bag of pot when some police arrived, and 2) the ...more
Jasmine Hawamdeh
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oct-reads
This book really interesting, to start I love Deborah Ellis and her stories are so heart filled and very realistic. I picked up this book because I needed something to read and so I decided to pick up a Deborah Ellis book. She never fails to amaze me.
This book contains many short stories about teens whose lives were affected by drugs, whether in deep Afghanistan or right here in North America there are kids all over the world who are affected by drugs. There are kids who sell it, grow it, smoke
Jodysegal
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Older Middle school- High school
The short stories that comprise Ellis’ latest global fiction endeavor take on the complex impact of drugs on teens around the world. In one story a young Afghani woman is reluctantly promised in marriage to a much older man when her family’s opium cash crop is plowed under by authorities. In another, a Russian teen discovers that his sole friend and protector growing up in an orphanage has become a heroin addict. In yet another angle on drugs, an American high school student, a guy who has alway ...more
Linna
It's one of those books that you don't expect much from but ends up surpassing any preconceptions you had before reading it. This is a collection of stories that are all heartbreaking and real but never truly preachy, as I had feared. The first six or so stories are the strongest, with the titular Lunch With Lenin blowing all the others completely out of the water. (The last few were rather weak.) But those first stories were perfection. They each ended on an open, thought-provoking way. All The ...more
Ishta Mercurio
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The subject matter is spot-on: teens who are affected by addiction. But this reads like a very detached, sanitized version of events, and it just didn't move me. It might appeal to those who are looking for ways to approach the subject of addiction with younger readers, but as a book for teens, in my opinion, it misses the mark.
Victoria
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
The book gives different perspectives of drugs, from a person whose sister has torn the family apart because of her drug use to a family that grew poppy in Afghanstan and had their crop destroyed. It looks at how these people's lives have been affected by drug use.
Manisha
Jan 18, 2010 rated it liked it
an okay book
Paula
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was quite sad in my opinion but interesting at the same time. I believe that Deborah Ellis truly portrayed the ways drugs can affect people in different part of the world even.
Kristina
Dec 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Really sad stories
Victoria
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, but somewhat depressing. A good recommendation for teens to broaden their awareness of the world outside of North America, and even within Canada.
Mendel Chernack
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jared and BIHS
teens, drugs, and globalism in short stories that are alternatingly heartbreaking and heartwarming
Sara Danylczuk
Oct 08, 2012
Brooke
Oct 26, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Deborah Ellis has achieved international acclaim with her courageous and dramatic books that give Western readers a glimpse into the plight of children in developing countries.

She has won the Governor General's Award, Sweden's Peter Pan Prize, the Ruth Schwartz Award, the University of California's Middle East Book Award, the Jane Addams Children's Book Award and the Vicky Metcalf Award.

A long-t