Start by marking “Wombat Stew” as Want to Read:
Wombat Stew

Wombat Stew

A dingo intent on making wombat stew receives cooking suggestions from the other animals, unaware that they are protecting their fellow creature.
Published April 1st 1986 by Silver Burdett Press (first published 1984)

Maxwell Rae
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun book to hear mummy read to me. I liked hearing all the animals with their different accents. I’m not sure who my favourite is between the French Blue Tongue Lizard and the Bogan Koala. There is also a fun song to sing along too, and even some written music in the back so mum can play it for me on her piano.
Crystal Dawn
When I was in the book store very recently, I saw this book on the sale table and nostalgia just brimmed out of me. I showed it to my fiance and surprisingly he had never heard of the book. It's fantastic!! I NEED to go back and get it! It's just brilliant!

The story, moral, catchy rhyme and beautiful illustrations have been pieced together perfectly to create this book! It could be just rote, but the pages have all left such an impression on me I'm certain the book is forever in my head, word f
Laila Kanon
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Rereading this book before I wrap them as Christmas presents for my two adolescent boys brought me back to the time when I was made to read this book almost every night before bed! Gosh, we were never sick of the ridiculous story-line and the sing along that went with it. Big giggle before bed. It's funny that they were looking for the book when we were in the bookstore just the other day and were rather disappointed when the store didn't stock them. This would be one of the Christmas gift that ...more
Anna Kuhl
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic.
Brandon
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brandon by: 4fd9fd8d@opayq.com
I did not appreciate the villainization of the dingo in this story. While I acknowledge that animals in general don't wish to be eaten, it is also unfair that the dingo couldn't get something to eat. (view spoiler) ...more
Brandielle
My husband read the song with his own melody and the kids were singing it for days. A fun book. :)
Jasmine
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Childhood favourite, this book means so much to me.
Jacinda
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great Aussie children's book that should be in your child's collection. You can really play your voice in this story and even get into a bit of singing.
Cheryl
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, it's sort of too bad that the Dingo was spoiled out of his meal, as carnivores are part of nature's web, but really this is just like all the European stories in which fox, wolf, or coyote, or even lion or tiger, are tricked out of theirs. What makes this special is the Australian setting, as (by definition) most readers haven't grown up to be familiar with these critters. What makes it extra special are the appealing illustrations that are lively, expressive, and humorous, and not cartoon ...more
Michelle
A fun read. I am confused, however, by the constant references to the dingo as a 'clever' animal. Are we as the readers privy to the dingo's self-perception? Is it a stereotype of dingos as an animal group? Or is this particular dingo normally of above average intellectual abilities? This later answer, if correct, would make the other animals ability to dupe the dingo on this occasion an interesting phenomenon.
Adrian J.
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
It is almost animal racism.

I've never understood the tendency to position some animals as evil or mean and others as always good. Has the writer ever encountered a koala, or an emu? They're vicious; at least as much so as the dingo.

Also, why didn't it matter that the echidna eats other animals? Or the blue-tongue lizard? But the dingo? He's an evil monster!

Rather silly, really.
Monique
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I have read this so many times I've lost count to the kids at school. They absolutely adore it! The words, they rhyming, the pictures, all of it! Me myself, I've never read this until this year and it's an okay book for me. But considering it's for the kids who cares about my opinion! Kids love this.
Krystal
Another of my faves as a kid. Such a great book with craziness and some memorable Aussie furry friends! Loved the rhyming and just the ridiculousness of it. Definitely a winner for young Aussie kids!
Louise
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone should let the dingo know that wombats aren't very tasty.
Chandra
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
An Aussie children's classic if ever there was one. This book is a wonderful romp and an all-time favorite!
Tracey
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Repetition is great for little people. When you have to read this book over and over again, not so good. I may have skipped paragraphs, pages, plot points. Who knows?
Karen
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun story incorporating Native Australian animals.
Christine Meunier
This is a bright clever tale where animals work together in a mischevious way to deter a fox from his plans for 'wombat stew'. Lovely illustrations.
Tracy Morton
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book introduces many Australian animals. I am definitely adding it to my Australia themed storytime.
Bruce the Bookshark
Papa’s Commentary

I’m sure young boys and girls are told all about the intended moral, sticking up for your friends when they’re in a pinch, but I’m more inclined to sympathise with the Dingo. If you like something don’t change it because others tell you that you should. Do you buy the Chicken Schnitzel dinner every single time you go out? Then continue to buy the Chicken Schnitzel dinner every time you go out! Think for yourself, or risk being a hungry Dingo.

Mama’s Commentary

This is a child
Emkoshka
Reread on 21 October 2017.

Read with my Turkish host family's children. The 3-year-old loved this one so much that he dragged me to the piano after the first reading to play him the 'Wombat Stew' song. Then he made me read it another four times over the course of the morning. After reading it word for word the first two times, I made up my own versions the next three times and improved it with some rhythmic rhymes, eg. 'bugs and slugs and witchety grubs'. It was a thrill for me to see an Australi
Jack Kirby and the X-man
A story of how the wombat's friends managed to outwit a rather dim dingo to stop him being slow-cooked in a stew. Each animal recommends their favourite ingredient (ideally one that would taste gross!) for the stew. (incidentally many of the recommendations are not actually eaten by the recommending animal (eg platypi don't actually eat mud, blue tongue lizards are rarely quick enough to catch flies, I doubt emus eat emu feathers, and koalas don't eat gumnuts...)

The little ditty is a recurring e
Alicia Evans
A dingo gets the idea to have wombat stew and he vows to make the tastiest stew ever, all the while singing a little song. Various animals come up to him and tell him that his stew isn't done yet and that he needs to add things to make it better before he can add the terrified wombat. With the fun song and the silly antics, readers will enjoy the worry over the wombat's fate. I wouldn't advise reading the whole version aloud to a group of kids though. I did read a portion and everyone loved it, ...more
Carol
This book is fun, well-known, and has curricular connections/lesson plans available on the web. It appears to be a favorite for readers theatre. The mysterious eyes in the tree cavity were what engaged the curiosity of my young reader. The eyes, it turned out, belonged to a kookaburra bird. The tree was a gum tree. Soon after reading this book we met a kookaburra bird at the zoo! And that was the extent of what appealed to our two year old reader. She may like more of this book as she gets older ...more
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the illustrations in this book and how Australian the story is. All of the animals are native to Australia, and that just makes the story even more special to people like me who are Australian. I also love how the animals work together to prevent the wombat from becoming the dingo's wombat stew.
Nhi
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun and timeless book that might already be on every Australian child's bookshelf. Loved the illustrations, style, and of course the rhyme that will be engraved into your mind and will remain there even when you're an adult. You will be surprised that you will still know the words to the catchy wombat stew song even if you've read the story once or twice a lifetime ago.
Esther
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
One of my all time favorite books as a child. For a primary talent show my brothers and I turned the characters into puppets and turn the text into a script. There is even a page of music in the book of the song the dingo sings that we learned and sang. This book began my love of wombats and I was reminded it by the other cute wombat book: The Diary of a Wombat
Elizabeth
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
This was a random find at the library, and it is well worth tracking down even though it's an oldie (published 1984). We love it–the dingo gets outsmarted over and over and the story works in a repeating chorus that everyone can sing along with. We love wombat books : )
Tara Calaby
This was a very popular Big Book when I was in primary school, so goodness knows how many times I ended up reading it in group activities! I think my mother used to have a copy for HER teaching as well.
Stina
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2013
Book #46 for 2013

This clever little tale is not terribly unlike The Gruffalo. It may be a little predictable for older children, but it's probably a lot of fun for little ones. And the Aussie slang is cool.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat
  • The Little Refugee
  • The Water Hole
Marcia Vaughan became a librarian in 1975 so that she could inspire children to read. After a short while, she began writing her own books. Her first two stories were never published but her third, ‘Wombat Stew’, illustrated by Pamela Lofts, was published in 1984. It might now be considered a classic of Australian children’s literature.