Start by marking “House of Trelawney” as Want to Read:

House of Trelawney

From the author of The Improbability of Love a dazzling novel both satirical and moving, about an eccentric, dysfunctional family of English aristocrats, and their crumbling stately home that reminds us how the lives and hopes of women can still be shaped by the ties of family and love.

For more than seven hundred years, the vast, rambling Trelawney Castle in
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Knopf Publishing Group

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 11, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win a copy of House of Trelawney by Hannah Rothschild!

From the author of The Improbability of Love: a dazzling novel both

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 32 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 24 - Feb 10, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about House of Trelawney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Trelawney

Start your review of House of Trelawney
    Paromjit
    Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Hannah Mary Rothschild charts the misfortunes and disintegration of the aristocratic Trelawney family with a 800 year history living in the famous Trelawney Castle, a mishmash of styles, now in a dilapidated state, physically falling down around them. The recent Earls of Trelawney have run through their fortune, and the present Earl, Kitto, is married to Jane, who scrimps and saves, is the one keeping the family together, working her fingers to the bones. Kitto's elderly parents live a ...more
    Carolyn
    A deliciously wicked novel about a dysfunctional aristocratic family and their crumbling mansion. The Trelawneys have lived in Trelawney Castle for eight centuries and seen the house grow from a humble home to a stately one with additions made over the ages. But now in 2008, after two world wars, the great depression and a series of inept Earls, the family has run out of money to keep any staff or pay for the restorations needed.

Neither the current Earl, Kitto, his elderly father or his eldest
    Umut Reviews
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Review to come soon! Fantastic read.
    Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
    It must be the current political climate, but I am just not bothered about the eccentricities of any aristocratic family and their slow decline and hunt for former glory. When I requested the book, I did not take this into consideration. Really me, rather than the book but all these type of English novels are just not working for me at present, which is neither the author's fault, nor the books. I dnfed around 20%.
    Gianna Lorandi
    I was very pleasantly surprised by this book, I do love a dysfunctional and eccentric family!
    The characters were all caricatures - they made me laugh, the dialogues were smartly constructed with a hint of sarcasm. There were a couple of stereotypes but that didn’t bother me at all.
    It is a slow burner, I wasn’t sure at the start but I started to grow closer and closer to the characters and wanted to know more. It’s a lighthearted and fun read, a real little treat.

Marianne
    Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The Trelawney’s have lived in the castle for over 800 years, once owning 500,000 acres and a room for each day of the year. It is now 2008 and the fabulous fortune of the Trelawney’s is gone, the glory days are well and truly over. The 24th earl and the dowager countess still stubbornly dress for dinner, that they eat off of a tray, made and served by their daughter in law, they happily pretend nothing has changed.
    The castle is falling down, the roof is collapsing and there is no money for hot
    Rhoda Baxter
    Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I loved The Improbability of Love so much, that when I saw there are another book by the same author, I jumped at the chance to review it.

Trelawney castle is old, beautiful and crumbling away. The family all love living there, but there is a tradition that once the current earl comes of age, his siblings are banished from the castle with a symbolic gift. These siblings have to make their own way in the world. The current Earl fancies himself an investment banker and keeps putting first his
    Miriam
    Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    When I first saw this book I knew I had to read it,. A madcap tale of a family of minor royals their traditions and management of the family estate.

Trelawney estate is 800 years old, In its prime the family had plenty of money, a sprawling farm and the house was in tip top condition. Over the years parts of the farm have been sold, so now now there isn't much left. The house itself has fallen into disrepair.

The story focuses on the current occupants of the house and some of the extended family.
    Hilary Mortz
    Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Ever wondered what might have happened to Downton Abbey once it collided with the trials and tribulations of the 21st Century? Look no further – The House of Trelawney tells the epic tale of a grand stately home (imagine a cross between Daphne du Maurier’s ‘Manderley’ and the real life Castle Howard) and the dysfunctional aristocratic family who are cursed with managing its downfall at the end of a glittering 800 year history.

I was totally immersed in this book all the way through. It is
    Candace
    Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was over the moon when I was approved to read and review "The House of Trelawney" and I loved every minute of it. I've been a fan of Hannah Rothschild since adoring "The Improbability of Love" and her new novel is of equal joy.

The Trelawneys of Trelawney have been there for 800 years, although from what we know about them now, it's hard to fathom how that ever happened. The house is an immense pile with wings representing just about every architectural period, but now, all of them are
    Kim
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The House of Trelawney is the story of a once-grand stately home that's crumbling down around the present owner's ears. To give them they're correct title the 24th earl and the dowager countess. Think of and up to date Downton abbey. There is no money to repair the failing roof. Nor can they afford hot water or heating. They are just holding on in the hope that somebody, somewhere will come to the rescue and save their once beautiful home.
    There are some likable characters here that had me
    Kim
    Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    There are some likable characters here that had me
    Louise
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was not what I expected! (Should have read the blurb a bit more carefully!) But it was really good.

Set in the financial crash of 2007 this is the story of an old old moneyed family and what happens when it all goes wrong.
    Characters are lovely, sometimes a bit two dimensional which meant that one of the storylines involving mental health was not explored as it could have been - but there were other stories that were done well.
    A real commentary on the crisis of 2007 and winners and losers.
    Claire Meadows
    A charming tale, written with sympathy and style. A feel-good read that makes you think about the nature of forgiveness, and about seizing the day.
    Kelly
    Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    An intriguing novel that keeps you guessing and turning the pages to see what happens next. Original plot with engaging characters. A good read for fans of the aristocracy or Downton Abbey.
    Greyjoyous
    Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
    *** I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ***

Bullet Point Book Review!

In the category of "not the book's fault but it predisposed me to dislike it anyway":
    - I got the NetGalley notification that I'd been approved for this in the middle of my Hornblower reread and I couldn't even remember requesting it and I wasn't in the mood to interrupt my Hornblower Feelings for another book but I felt compelled to because it's NetGalley and I owed them a review
    mylogicisfuzzy
    I was desperately wading through a treacle of another book when Bloomsbury and Netgalley approved my request to read The House of Trelawney, yay! Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to pick me up a bit. It is an engaging, immersive read that will, no doubt, have many fans.

The dilapidated Trelawney Castle and its eccentric inhabitants are very well observed. The ancient aristocratic family have practically nothing left, everything of value has been sold off and everything else is falling
    Helen
    Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A tale of faded grandeur, of a truly dysfunctional, eccentric family with centuries of wealth degraded over the generations reduced to their last old master painting in a decrepit, draughty old stately pile with empty fuel tanks, living on mince at every meal, with a delightfully deluded Earl and Countess living in the past in one wing.
    Kitto the incompetent heir invests money they haven’t got into ever more threadbare moneymaking notions, while his long suffering wife Jane tries to hold an ever
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2020-mt-bookpile
    While reading this I wanted so much more about the Trelawney house and grounds beyond the rotting aspects, and the three or four ballrooms. More about Clarissa and her ideas about what's proper and what's not. More about Ayesha's mother's directions to Ayesha. Less padding about insects. Less intricacies of the banking meltdown in 2008. And an ending that didn't make me think of the Soprano's ending - or maybe my eARC was missing a final chapter that tied the ends together? On the plus side, the ...more
    Rachel
    Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Review to come
    This book wasn’t too bad. There weren’t any laugh out loud bits in it. I couldn’t help suspecting that the book was an apology for being rich. While the author showed the idle self-entitled laziness of those born into wealth, she seemed to reserve most of her scorn for the nouveau riche. There was only one particular event where the old money showed any ruthlessness, thereby setting the events in the story in motion.

Apart from this, those of old money were seen as eccentric and a bit odd, while
    Tea.Books.Magic
    This book was not exactly what I wished it would have been. I wasn't intrigued, nor was I engaged in the plot of the book. I was looking forward to reading this book, hoping it would have similar vibes to Downton Abbey. However, it lacked any emotional depth to make me want to like the story or the characters. I initially DNF'd it but I have to force myself to finish it.
    Lucie Read
    Dec 29, 2019
    Sylvie Brandt
    Oct 27, 2019
    Soup
    rated it did not like it
    Nov 18, 2019

• Adults
    • 82년생 김지영
    • In Five Years
    • The Dollmaker
    • Murder at the Dolphin Hotel (A Miss Underhay Mystery #1)
    • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
    • Darling Rose Gold
    • Here We Are
    • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
    • Murmur
    • Miss Austen
    • Country Lovers: A feel-good winter read from the Sunday Times bestselling author
    • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
    Hannah Mary Rothschild is a British writer, philanthropist and documentary filmmaker. She also serves on the boards of various philanthropic trusts and museums. In August 2015, she became chair of the London National Gallery's Board of Trustees.