Start by marking “Reborn: Apocalypse (A LitRPG/Wuxia Story)(Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Reborn: Apocalypse (A LitRPG/Wuxia Story)(Volume 1)

Reborn: Apocalypse (A LitRPG/Wuxia Story)

(Reborn #1)

If you could turn back the clock and fix all the mistakes you ever made, would you?

From the author of the award-winning Web-novel 'Reborn: Evolving From Nothing' comes the tale of Micheal Care, a swordsman that could only be considered a middling warrior in Humanity's Last Army.

Micheal's answer to that question would be quite simple.

Yes. A million times yes.

Published May 13th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Reborn, please sign up.
Jacob Santos If you are interested in other similar time loop/warp stories, you might be interested in the Groundhog movie, as well as Mother of Learning web…moreIf you are interested in other similar time loop/warp stories, you might be interested in the Groundhog movie, as well as Mother of Learning web series.

It should be noted that the Reborn author includes a link to the Towers of Heaven and also notes that it is a similar story.(less)

Start your review of Reborn: Apocalypse (A LitRPG/Wuxia Story)(Volume 1)
Jim Rempel
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
First let me give this review some context. I refuse to read a book that has the word "dystopian" anywhere in its description. I like a clearly defined good guy who wins against bad/evil guy. If I want to see the bad guy winning all the time all I have to do is watch the news, I don't need that in my escapism. I would not characterize this story as dystopian, though one could say the setting is somewhat dystopian. Having said that, here are my thoughts. The good is this is different than the ...more
XR
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
It ain't too bad.
Sumit Das
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read it on Royal Road. Was very good. Should give it a try.
Cr Rider
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riveting

This was recommended on a litrpg forum page and I could not put it it down until I finished it. This story was so different from the norm that it was refreshing. It felt as though it was a combination of wuxia and litrpg, with a hint of stronger cultivation methods to come. Micheal is a warrior who saw humanity lose a war, has a chance to change the future in a opportunity to win. However, unbeknownst to him, these changes also bring him to the attention of those he wanted to avoid.
Zack Clay
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic concept

5 stars for the world, magic, and story. I found the style of writing a little offputting but the idea of the book kept me going. I think the internal dialogue could be presented in a similar fashion without making the characters talk to themselves constantly. I had to back up and count apostrophes to see if the characters were talking or thinking on multiple occasions, where it would have got the same point across to just write it out. Still gonna read the next one though...
Trianda Lewis
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth the read

It’s the first book the series and I’m loving every bit of the lead character Michael. Through a bit of luck he got a second chance on life, Michael is one of those characters that most writers who I’ve read books from that starts like this ends up giving you a lead, that’s either over powering, whiny or emotionally inept.
Thank full this author stayed clear of those, while Michael Maybe powerful he is not overly so and not indecisive when it comes to making decisions. I’ll be
James
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Extremely entertaining story.

The author did a great job of taking a trope and putting their own spin on the story. The MC has a chance to save the human race after he does and uses a wish to get a 2nd chance. The author kept me engaged with the story and the pace of the book was good. The action scenes are very enjoyable to read and fast paced. Overall I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next book.
Ian
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A competent and cohesive book.

Nothing really to complain about it's a solid book overall. For my personal preferences I could definitely use more character interaction and dialogue between characters with less descriptions of items and abilities. Besides that though the book does what it set out to do in a competent and cohesive manner.
JB25
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I've read several similar books where the MC goes back in time but this was better than most. Really liked the different powers which made the battles more interesting. Good plot set up with the different worlds or layers to explore. Can't wait for the next book.
Artrain
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the better LitRPGs I've read in a loooong time. The author seems to get that LitRPG or not, a solid story is what sells any book, and not just having you character randomly grind and find ridiculously OP weapons in newbie zones, or turning the book into a city builder SIM.

I also enjoyed that the main character was finally someone that was mature and intelligent, and not some snotty nosed brat that acts half his age. In fact in this book, the MC acts more mature than his age since he's
Mridula
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting concept but writing style is too basic

I stumbled onto the LitRPG genre after reading Sufficiently Advanced Magic - it was fun and the writing style easy to read. I saw this book Reborn: Apocalypse as one of the recommendations in Kindle Unlimited as a result of reading the former.

The premise seemed nice - a chance to go back to the past to change the future. Let me list the positives first. The idea and the visuals are interesting - it's literally an rpg game translated into a book.
Ram Tamir
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read half of this book after reading the reviews here. How this book got such a high score is beyond me.

The premise is quite interesting and so is the plot. However, and this is a huge one, the writing is the worst I have come across in my life. 90% of the story is explained to us by the author. And I'm not talking about the hero or a speaker inside the story, nope. That 90% is totally external to the characters, their dialogue, actions or thoughts. Actually, you can take out all of those and
Shane Billingsley
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really fun book.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Its a good story and well written. Except for a particularly annoying aspect, the author tends to repeat some of the protagonist's thoughts over and over. Well, that and the overly used phrase "his eyes flashed". At first i thought it was literal, like it was part of his magic, but later realized it was a description of an intense look from the hero that is unfortunately used dozens of times in the story.

Other than these two easily overlooked
Carl Hickman
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a bad wuxia... I usually hate wuxia writings

The reason that I typically hate wuxia is because most authors use broken Chinese engritch to ‘flavor’ the story. To me that kind of writing sounds like shit. Michael Chatfield was a decent writer until he started writing wuxia. He uses the broken Chinese engritch method and it’s really REALLY bad.

Kerr has managed to refrain from writing in that style and overall the story he wrote is pretty cool! I finally found a wuxia that is actually good. I
David
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Needs a rewrite but shows promise

I almost just put this down early on because the exposition was just over the top, all tell almost no show. But I stuck it out, skipping pages at a time, and found it actually pretty compelling in it's own way. To the author, please give this a rewrite, it shows promise but strip out most of the "telling," have the author talk to himself less, and don't explain everything in such detail - respect your reader and let him or her figure out a little on their own.
Vincent Archer
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litrpg
A fair warning: The Wuxia/cultivation elements are really secondary, or even barely relevant, to the story. It is, first and foremost, a LitRPG-System Apocalypse book.

It's also a derivative of a Korean original, but the book topic is handled well. The hero is basically cheating since he has foreknowledge of the entire System, and also most of his opponents. That lets him abuse the system, in classic litrpg trope. There's a bit of heaviness, but the action still moves in a plausible way.

Looking
John #Audible
Dec 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, i-gave-up
Another cultivation book with arrogance o plenty of the human race. The MC is the biggest hypocrite of them all, he says himself he wants to "help" the human race but he goes about that barely half way through the book and honestly the back story is weak with its knowledge he was a low level war before the reset, no way he could have that that knowledge. One thing for sure, this is barely a Litrpg.
GaiusPrimus
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, litrpg, wuxia
Interesting but rough

Maybe it's just me, but the heavily Wuxia stuff always seems unnecessarily complicated and filled with plot armor.

Might be something I should keep in mind before delving once more into the genre.

The book also comes "raw" from the webserial, with all that this form of writing entails, but at least the author calls it out in the beginning.

Book 2 might be something I pick up if I want some popcorn during a lull.
Travis
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Very nice installment in the series, good to see things turning out differently second time through. :)
If you've read any others in the series, you should enjoy this one thoroughly. If you haven't read any of the other books in the series, starting with this one might be confusing at first, but it should still be an interesting story regardless.
KAi Kazame
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good start to the series. i like the whole mixer of cultivation and special abilities idea which makes the powers more fun, as well as because of MCs power his fighting style is very versatile and unique which helps him deal with a difficult opponent. so far most of the side characters in the series has been well written and i cant wait to see what the others layers have stored for out MC.
Randy Smith
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book

The story remind me of several other stories I’ve read recently though that does not deter from how good this book actually is. I especially love the blending of the genres and the way they seamlessly go together. I greatly look forward to future books in the series. In fact I hope to start book too soon.
brandon
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh

The story was alright I guess, what bugged me the most about this story that the author put freaking sound effects in the story, oh my @$#!ing god I just wished it would stop, they where in no way helpful they were just aggravating, god I hope the "author" will not do this in his next stories.
John B
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

What an amazing story. I am totally hooked on this author's story telling ability. The book is fast paced and yet gives enough details of the event6taking place to not get lost. Am looking forward to reading the next one.
Shaft
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Might have been a five star review if there was 50% less "his eyes flashed" lines you have to vary your writing. I read a lot of Chinese manhua and it is nice to see cultivation tackled by a Western writer. This could be an amazing series.
Raymond Gentry
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Worth reading

One of the best LitRPGs I have read. The advancement system is original but easily followed and the characters are first rate. I will definitely read any other book in this series
Cameron
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun combination between LitRPG and wuxia

I enjoyed this story, I really think the Wuxia and LitRPG combination - it is very hard to see another genre pairing that is so suited to combine.
Steve
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gamelit-litrpg
Pretty good overall, but I concur with other reviewers that this needed a serious edit to tighten it up. I'll give the second one a try, but if it doesn't pick up the pacing/purge redundancy a lot vis this one I may not finish it.
Ralph Trickey
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better than I expected.
I was worried that the main character would be overpowered. While the main character was powerful because of his memories, he was facing people with 2 years of experience and leveling. He used guile instead of raw force to defeat opponents.
Soima Traian
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A bit long winded but all in all a great book

A bit long winded but all in all a great book in the same genre as "The Towers of Heaven" it presents a great deal of action, evolution strategy, suspence and a lot of fun .
Courtney Carter
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

Love, love, LOVE this book! Great pace, awesome MC and unique take on litrpg, imo. I love the choice when it comes to the "gaming" elements. Read the book using KU but I am most certainly purchasing it for my collection.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Towers of Heaven (Towers of Heaven, #2)
  • Towers of Heaven (Towers of Heaven, #1)
  • Shadow Sun Expansion (Shadow Sun, #2)
  • Edge of Eons (The Adept Archives #1)
  • Stone Will (Dragon Heart, #1)
  • Shadow Sun Rebellion (Shadow Sun, #3)
  • The First Stop (A Thousand Li #2)
  • The Labyrinth (The Gods' Game #2)
  • Iron Will (Dragon Heart, #2)
  • Stars Awoken (The System Apocalypse, #7)
  • Dungeons of the Crooked Mountains (Underdog, #1)
  • Shadow Sun Survival (Shadow Sun, #1)
  • The First Step (A Thousand Li, #1)
  • Street Cultivation
  • Class-A Threat (Disgardium, #1)
  • Excise (Ether Collapse #2)
  • The Fifth Realm (Ten Realms, #5)
  • Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)

Reborn (2 books)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse (Volume 2): (A LitRPG/Wuxia Story)