Start by marking “The Jetsetters” as Want to Read:
The Jetsetters

The Jetsetters

3.10  ·  Rating details ·  45,873 ratings  ·  3,598 reviews
When seventy-year-old Charlotte Perkins submits a sexy essay to the "Become a Jetsetter" contest, she dreams of reuniting her estranged children: Lee, an almost-famous actress; Cord, a handsome Manhattan venture capitalist who can't seem to find a bride; and Regan, a harried mother who took it all wrong when Charlotte bought her a Weight Watchers gift certificate for her b ...more
Published March 3rd 2020 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Jetsetters, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Linda Goodman
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Amy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  45,873 ratings  ·  3,598 reviews

Start your review of The Jetsetters
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t like it but I didn’t hate it, too. I’m Switzerland right now. It’s okay reading but not the marvelous book I’ve dreamt of so it means three let’s have a vacation with one of the dysfunctional families stars.

Blurb seemed like interesting and I wished I could read some funny, entertaining dysfunctional, bat-shit crazy family members' stories! But you cannot always get what you want... Sigh... Pour me more wine husband! And stop eating my veggie chips, I'm on a diet, remember! I'm balancin
Chantelle
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
For being the Reese Witherspoon book of the month, it was pretty terrible. The writing was stilted, like a child wrote it. The narrator was not good either. There wasn’t really a resolution for most of the characters so it feels like it was a book about whiney adults who feel bad for themselves.
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
I expected soooo much more 🤷‍♀️ Not the fun light hearted beach read that I had anticipated .

Charlotte is 71 and is ready to have some fun! Her children have left home, her husband has passed away and well...Char is lonely. She wants to reconnect with her kids and find a hot guy. No really she does, she thinks about it all the time.

So she enters a contest to win a cruise- that just happens to pay for herself and the whole family and she wins...enter lots of family drama, everyone seems to have
Whitney Erwin
This book was very mediocre. It is readable but there is nothing memorable or significant about it. I thought it was going to be a light, fluffy, beach read but it was definitely a more heavy read with family drama and some deeper rooted issues. It was not what I was expecting. The cover is cute.
Brandice
May 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
In The Jetsetters Charlotte Perkins, a 72-year old Savannah widow, enters a contest to win a Mediterranean cruise. She does win and convinces her three adult children, Lee, Cord, and Reagan to join her.

They care for each other but the Perkins family has difficulty openly communicating and all board the cruise carrying their own secret. The story follows the 4 family members as they attempt to put on fronts while navigating various European destinations.

I felt Charlotte was portrayed a bit dram
Danielle
May 28, 2021 rated it liked it
A mother, her three adult kids, a cruise ship… each character has their own ‘problem’ that they don’t want to burden their family with. 🤔 I wanted to care more, but this whole story just felt a bit flat to me. I honestly didn’t care about any one character much. It’s not terrible, but not great either. 😐
Kortney
Mar 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
I HATE not finishing books, but this book was awful and I couldn’t waste my time any longer. Weirdly sexual at times (from the mother character??- didn’t enjoy lol) very choppy, no plot, seemed childish and not what I’d picture to be on Reese’s book list.
Meghan
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
There were so many deep issues in this book that made the story interesting but I felt it was way too breezy/easy summer type read for the heaviness. I think the characters and readers deserved more life and feeling from it. Something about how it was written seemed discombobulated with the seriousness of the traumas the characters were daring with really didn’t work for me.
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Not sure how to rate this book, some parts are a 2, some are a 3, so I guess I'm rounding down from a 2.5
Overall it is super uneven, the pacing is strange--drags in some parts and then the ending is very abrupt. There are too many POV characters and none of them are explored thoroughly enough to make us root for them. It would have been better to have had Charlotte be the main character and then glimpses at the others through her eyes and then tell the truth. But for Charlotte's surprising past,
Nicole
Mar 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward is March’s book pick for Reese Witherspoon’s book club.⁣

This book is about a woman named Charlotte who has 3 grown children. She enters a contest to win a Mediterranean cruise for her and her family to go on. Her hope is that it will bring them all together. She wins the contest and they all go on this cruise. They all have their own secrets/problems that begin to get revealed as the story goes.⁣

❤️Review❤️⁣

I really struggled with this book. This book is a ch
Laura • lauralovestoread
3.75 ★

So I’ve mentioned before that I’m always drawn to stories with family dynamics that include complicated sibling relationships and strained relationships with parents. So that’s honestly what drew me into the storyline of The Jetsetters, because I was intrigued at learning more about this estranged family that goes on a cruise together.

I enjoyed it for the most part, and I feel like the author did a great job of taking some heavier topics like suicide, alcoholism, and being accepted into th
Barbara
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: beach-read, fast-read
“The Jetsetters” by Amanda Eyre Ward is a novel that explores the generational effects of family dysfunction. Of course, family dysfunction doesn’t just plop itself out of the blue. Dysfunctional parents endured dysfunctional parents and so on. The saga continues until one member breaks the succession. Ward provides the reader with the causes of parental dysfunction. It’s sad to see how each child absorbs the wrongs.

I’m making the story seem bleak. It could be a totally depressive missive, but i
Amanda
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Charlotte Perkins aged 71 has just lost her best friend, she enters the competition “ Become A Jetsetter” by sending in a racy love story. If she wins she hopes to take her family and maybe meet a man along her travels!!

She is thrilled to win and spend time with her children; lLee, Cord and Regan.

Lee is an actress on a break, she has gone home to spend time with her mother.

Cord is a recovering alcoholic who is struggling to tell his family that he is gay and has just proposed to his boyfriend.

R
Lisa Leone-campbell
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to receive an advanced copy of The Jetsetters long before it became Reese Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine Book Club selection for March. With that said, I can certainly understand why it was chosen.

The Jetsetters is about a dysfunctional/functional, imperfectly/perfect family whose baggage goes well beyond the type one takes on a trip. Charlotte Perkin's best friend has just died. A widow of many years who was married to an angry alcoholic, she has three children. They are not the B
Stacie
This book made zero sense, all the characters were awful and I hated every minute of it.
Fareya
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
While I tend to enjoy family dramas, The Jetsetters was a bit overkill and not at all what it promised in its premise, which is a breezy beach read.

It deals with some very serious issues like alcoholism, suicide, infidelity but sadly does justice to neither and also lacks in seriousness and depth. The characters are just okay, the character growth is minimal. The writing was jagged and scattered and I found my attention wavering frequently. Not to mention the conclusion, that was very abrupt an
Skyler Autumn
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

The Jetsetters is everything I wished Jami Attenberg's The Middelstein was, a sharp and poignant look at a dysfunctional family trying to find their way back to each other.

If you are one to judge a book by it's cover or perhaps by it's bookclub *cough* Reese Witherspoon then you are going to feel a little discombobulated by this one. If you were picking this book up as antidote to your staycation blues and wanting to envision yourself on a Mediterranean cruise sipping Mai Tais and wal
Tammy(PeaceLoveBooks)
The Jetsetters is an entertaining look at a crazy, dysfunctional family. Lots of emotion when reading from laughing out loud to feeling heart broken. While this was not my favorite of Reese's picks, it was worth the read! ...more
Morgan Pearman
Mar 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book was insufferably dull and its characters were so dysfunctional that I found it difficult to finish, but I was quarantined so I had nothing better to do.
Kelsey Dool
Mar 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Yikes. I usually love (or at least like) a Reese's book club pick because I'm that kind of gal, but this left me absolutely stunned.

The writing was stilted, not a single character seemed like a real person, and the big "mysteries" the author was hinting at throughout were total non-events.

This book thought it was an ocean and it was a puddle. (This is a better turn of phrase than anything within the pages of The Jetsetters.) Way too many sentences ending in exclamation points, and not nearly eno
Kristy
Charlotte Perkins is 71, and her best friend has just died. Long single, she longs to be touched and loved again, so she writes an essay (a rather racy one at that) to the "Become a Jetsetter" contest to win a trip for her entire family (and to perhaps meet someone). Charlotte is shocked and elated when she actually wins, earning the the chance to take her three children to Athens, Greece and on a nine-day cruise to Barcelona, Spain. Lee, a struggling actress who has just returned home on a "bre ...more
Shea Salyer
Mar 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
Couldn’t bring myself to finish this one after getting a little over 200 pages into it. I just had no genuine interest in the characters and their storylines and I also thought it was just cheesy and scattered. I usually enjoy Reece’s Book Club picks way more than this one.
Melissa Rose

After seeing The Jetsetter's advertised as part of Reese Witherspoon's 'Hello Sunshine' book club, I decided to pick it up, hoping for a light and airy Summer read to escape the quarantine blues.

Boy, was I wrong!!

That is not to say that The Jetsetters was not a good book. It was. However, instead of a light Summer story, I found myself left with a novel that got more depressing as the book went on, and the characters bordered on unlikeable.

In terms of narration, Therese Plummer did an excellent
Lorilin
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fiction
Prim and proper Charlotte Perkins was sad when her husband died, of course, but now that she’s lost her best friend, too, she feels unmoored. She’s 70+ years old and just so lonely. When she sees an ad for an essay contest—the grand prize is an all-expense paid European cruise—she decides to enter. After summoning a bit of liquid courage via a glass of wine (or four), she bravely writes about losing her virginity to a famous artist.

To her surprise, she wins the contest, and, with her extra cruis
Christina Kline
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to read this wonderful novel in advance and write a blurb for it. Now that summer is nearly here, I can't stop thinking of that delightful and complicated cruise. Here's what I had to say about the book: "Witty, insightful, and full of heart, THE JETSETTERS is the story of a family on a cruise, and on the brink, in some of the most idyllic locations on earth. Defined by a long-ago tragedy and long-held grudges, grievances, and resentments, the Perkins clan has plenty of reasons to ke ...more
Lauren
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
The Perkins family is a little messed up - but whose family isn’t, really? Charlotte, the mother, is in her seventies and feels like her life is stopped. She’s lonely, her best friend just passed away, and the husband she never really loved died a long, long time ago. She’s got her daily Catholic masses with Father Thomas, her nightly Triscuits and cheese, and that’s about it. Her three children are distant and all have problems of their own: Lee, the eldest, is a beautiful but washed up Hollywo ...more
Sarah Swann
Jul 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! It was much more deep than I was expecting with themes of alcoholism and suicide, so be weary of those. I enjoyed the characters and I liked that they were all hiding something, although Charlotte was a bit over the top for me. I liked how things unfolded and what we learned about them along the way. The writing felt stilted at times and the epilogue felt unnecessary. Overall a really enjoyable summer read filled with drama.
Ezi Chinny
I reserve the right to change my rating after the RBUT book discussion. Maybe the ladies will help me understand what the heck I just read and why they chose this book for our monthly read.
I’ll be honest, I’m not sure where the author was trying to take us. I don’t feel like I got anything memorable from this book. It was just trauma and messed up people.
Jill
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, I NEEDED this book right now. A messed up family goes on a European cruise. First of all, I love a messed up family. Second, I love a cruise, and the descriptions of the tackiness, the "piano bar looked like it was out of Liberace's house if Liberace had 18 floors of marble with people in swimsuits milling around while he played," the "I shouldn't like this but lord help me, I do," just nailed it for me.
I laughed out loud throughout this book, which is rare. Just what I neede
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
I don't know, this book was just kind of "okay" for me. I loved the premise and was definitely needing some "escapist" fiction, but this one fell a little flat. There was just too much going on and not enough development of characters or setting. ...more

• The God Game
  • The Companions
  • What Unbreakable Looks Like
  • Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • All That's Bright and Gone
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #12; FBI Profiler, #9)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • Moral Compass
See top shelves…
Amanda Eyre Ward was born in New York City in 1972. Her family moved to Rye, New York when she was four. Amanda attended Kent School in Kent, CT, where she wrote for the Kent News.

Amanda majored in English and American Studies at Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts. She studied fiction writing with Jim Shepard and spent her junior fall in coastal Kenya. She worked part-time at the Will

Articles featuring this book

“This was one of the pleasures of recovery: you opened the door to the pain and gnawing tedium, but joy came in as well. All of it, all of it, brilliant and clean and true.” 2 likes
“Did all siblings revert to their childhood selves when they were together, or was there a way to transition to functional adulthood even while being in one another’s lives?” 2 likes