Start by marking “My Brother's Husband, Volumes 1 & 2” as Want to Read:
My Brother's Husband, Volumes 1 & 2

My Brother's Husband, Volumes 1 & 2

(Otouto no Otto #1-2)

Yaichi is a work-at-home suburban dad in contemporary Tokyo; formerly married to Natsuki, father to their young daughter, Kana. Their lives suddenly change with the arrival at their doorstep of a hulking, affable Canadian named Mike Flanagan, who declares himself the widower of Yaichi's estranged gay twin, Ryoji. Mike is on a quest to explore Ryoji's past, and the family ...more
Published February 11th 2020 by Pantheon Books

To ask other readers questions about My Brother's Husband, Volumes 1 & 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother's Husband, Volumes 1 & 2

Start your review of My Brother's Husband, Volumes 1 & 2
Stephanie
Feb 10, 2020 added it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2020
Thanks to Pantheon for the free review copy!

This was great - it’s the story of Mike Flanagan’s trip to Japan to visit the estranged brother of his late husband. Yaichi, Mike’s brother in law, is shocked to see him and uncomfortable having him in their house. Through Yaichi’s daughter Kana, he learns to love Mike, understand his brother, and challenge what he’d always been taught. It’s very much Yaichi’s story of change, but also Mike’s story of discovering his husband’s past.

Loved the sweet
Andrea
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Huge collection, but worth every page. A warm-hearted story about cultural differences, and what it means to be a family. The linework by Tagame is crisp and hews more towards realistic than a lot of manga art, which suits the story. Many of the facial expressions he captures are surprising in their depth and detail. A worthy addition to everyone's library.
Gizzard
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Very nice manga about a man who lost his husband, going to Japan to meet his husband's brother and niece. The brother processes his feelings about his twin brother being gay while we learn a little about Japan.
Petter Nordenstorm
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jag har velat läsa den här serien i nästan ett år. Som seriebok så är det en vackert ritad samt välskriven historia. Den handlar om hur en japansk man tvingas göra upp med relationen med sin döde homosexuelle bror när broderns make anländer på oväntat besök en månad efter broderns död.

Historian påverkade mig på en personlig nivå. Blev genuint rörd av den. Är nog en av de bättre historierna jag har läst om sorg. Samt ett perspektiv på vad det kan innebära att vara homosexuell i Japan. Det
Stephanie Clark
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of cute

I bought this only interested in seeing something this from a Japanese person's perspective, and it was interesting for that reason. The art was only so-so for me (although admittedly well-done), and the story was fun. It's probably not something that's going to be in my brain for a long time, but then again, it's pretty different from what I usually read.

I would recommend.
Lauraellen
This is a sweet and sad story, with cute visuals. I like the slice of life moments, and the bond between the child and her uncle. The writing is earnest, and important, but can be a little overwrought, particularly the main character's internal monologue. It is worth reading for the sweet small moments, and the work it is doing is undoubtedly important.
Dr J
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
A Japanese graphic novel about what it means to be gay in an asian society - Yaichi find himself challenging the norms when his twin brother's widow turns up for a visit - and his eyes are slowly opened. Be warned it has some sweet teary moments - so read at work at your peril! Manga in two parts - GET BOTH! Get tissues!
Raygun ∆ Gothic
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Jennifer Bradshaw
Wow! This was really good -- it tugged on the emotions and carefully explored the topics.
Alexandria
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect read. I read it twice.
Emelie 🦉
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So pure and heartbreaking but also so wonderful and cute!
Reuben
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honest, sweet, emotional, earnest, beautiful; a perfect read
Libraryangel
Feb 16, 2020
Petra
Feb 18, 2020
Osman
rated it did not like it
Sheri
Josh
Feb 21, 2020
Andrew Marra
Feb 17, 2020

• Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • The End of Eddy
  • Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • The Corset
  • I Wish You All the Best
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
  • Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)
  • Ghost Wall
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Highfire
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
  • Reasons to Stay Alive
  • 84, Charing Cross Road
Gengoroh Tagame is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in gay BDSM erotic manga, many of which depict graphic violence. The men he depicts are hypermasculine, and tend to be on the bearish side.

Born into a family descended from samurai, Tagame began his career as a manga artist in 1982, while he was studying graphic design at Tama Art University (多摩美術大学). His works have been published in

Otouto no Otto (4 books)