Start by marking “You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life” as Want to Read:

#1 international bestseller
Publishers Weekly bestseller
The Globe and Mail (Toronto)
The Toronto Star bestseller
The Vancouver Sun bestseller

From Neil Pasricha—New York Times, million-copy bestselling author of The Book of Awesome series and The Happiness Equation, thought leader for the next generation, and one of the most popular TED speakers in the world—comes a reve
Published November 5th 2019 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are Awesome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Awesome

Start your review of You Are Awesome: How to Navigate Change, Wrestle with Failure, and Live an Intentional Life
Susan's Reviews
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read several of this author's inspiring books. This is yet another great addition to your library: turn to it when you've had a rough day. Don't let everyday failures or even major failures keep you down forever is the take away from this one. Highly recommended and a quick read.
Jennifer Blankfein
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Learn How to Navigate Change, Wrestle With Failure and Live An Intentional Life; Neil Pasricha’s You Are Awesome Provides Solid Advice and Inspiration

Bestselling author, podcast host and TED speaker, Neil Pasricha, has charisma and positivity that emanates from the pages of his new book, You Are Awesome.

We will all experience challenges and often face failures, but if we look at them in a positive light, appreciate what we have learned and move on, continue moving forward and growing, the negati
Jade Melody
Received an arc from Edelweiss+ for an honest review

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I am so glad that I finally got around to reading this book! This was my first time reading a book by Neil Pasricha and I already know that I want to pick up his other books. He has a way of providing useful tips while also being truthful.

The fact that he tells it like it is, makes his tips that more useful. It's not like other self-help books where they paint this perfect picture and then give you these unrealistic tips. No. P
Neil Pasricha
Oct 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Are you supposed to review your own books on here? What's the etiquette? Who decides? Do you give yourself three out of five stars to be all humble since one star would be kind of like why did you write the stupid book in the first place then and five stars would be like oh yeah buddy we'll see about that?
Robyn
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I like Neil and I like his message of positivity and his online articles and his 1000 Awesome Things blog but I feel like I've already read most of this book in excerpts online. I have a pretty big stack of books to get through so I don't think I need to finish this one after skimming it and seeing a lot of familiar content. His writing is very playful and poetic, sort of reminds me a bit of Dr Seuss without the made up words.

As self help books go, I didn't quite feel the flow from chapter to c
Sonal Apte
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Neil borrows from many people I've already read/heard (Tim Ferriss, etc.) so the ideas are not new. However, I appreciate how he distills down to 3 questions:
1.)Will this matter on my deathbed?
2.) Can I do something about it?
3.)Is this a story I'm telling myself?

And also has 3 journal prompts:
1.)I will let go of...
2.) I am grateful for...
3.)I will focus on...
Danielle
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was the most loving and surprisingly empowering self-help book I’ve ever picked up. For some reason, self-help books have rarely hit home for me. I find they usually go in one of two ways: either they tend to be hyper-idealistic while conveniently ignoring the innumerable factors that could prevent one from dropping everything and “following your dreams!”…. or they’re on the other side of the spectrum whe
Genevieve Trono
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was immediately drawn into You Are Awesome because of how relatable the writing is. Neil Pasricha is charismatic and resilient and the writing is conversational like you are talking with a good friend.

Everyone can relate to failure but how we react to it can change our paths entirely and keep us moving forward. Every” misstep” is a chance to assess, learn and then move up and onward. I love the balance of personal stories, accessible writing, and strategies that are approachable for everyone.

P
Amanda
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic and best of all, it made me feel awesome. I felt like Neil Pasricha was speaking to me personally, encouraging me to embrace my failures and to look pass them and move forward: ‘When you’re there, when you’re stewing in the shock of failure and loss, when you’re convinced you’re stuck, when you’re convinced there’s no way forward, just remember: there’s a staircase you’re not seeing. Trust that it’s there, right in front of you, and that it leads to exciting new places. H ...more
Angela
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book offers 9 mindset shifts that will help you cope with failure, keep going when the going gets tough, learn and adapt faster, let go of worries and shift your focus on what you can change, and make time for yourself and your passions.

Since implementing these strategies, I've seen a marked difference in how I think about and approach all kinds of situations now. I especially like that Pasricha emphasizes the importance of failure and makes failure seem less shameful. Too often we're told
❀ Susan G
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
This is another positive book with messages of gratitude and moving forward despite challenges. The author uses his own personal examples of failures (opportunities for learning) and his own struggles (quitting a job after being part of a performance improvement plan) yet he was resilient and kept going leading to his acceptance to Harvard and his wildly successful blog which led to a number of books.

Having met him at a conference, he is inspiring, positive and enthusiastic. Readers can take fro
Mr. Armstrong
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Neil, but this book doesn't have much to say. Read Happiness Equation and Book of Awesome instead.
Diane Law
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Positive, human and relatable book about resilience offering 9 practical 'secrets'. Particularly relevant in April 2020 when we are dealing with the unknown.
Mashed Potato
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
read as part of my school's book club!

a great read with 9 steps to build resilience in today's messy world.
Eddy Yang
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would you fail your way to success? or remain a failure? There are so many people who fail at reaching success and that’s fine, but what’s not fine is if you don’t get up and keep moving forward. You Are Awesome by Neil Pasricha is filled with life-related stories, tips when hardship approaches, and secrets that Neil learned throughout his life.

Everyone hits rock bottom at some point in our lives, but what happens if we get stuck? Neil explains that nothing is over until you give up on it. Al
Handeela
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I grew up with The Book of Awesome and The Book of (Even More) Awesome, so finding and reading You Are Awesome was like meeting a childhood friend who had also grown up and was here to share their life experiences and knowledge. Kind of like watching a movie and having the sequel come out ten years later, the characters aging with you and being relevant to your life experiences.

You Are Awesome is set up with Neil's trademark bite size chapters and subcategories. They are very fun and relaxing t
Dana
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
You Are Awesome delivers 9 Secrets To Getting Stronger And Living An Intentional Life. So much of this book spoke directly to me. A bit of a wake up call in several areas of my life. The line that really resonated with me was "we have to stick the twig in our own spokes" ... WOW! Yes! We do! There are times where life just gets away from us, becomes chaotic, overwhelming ...

Que - Untouchable Days, a time to disconnect from everything and everyone. How many of us actually do this? I know this is
Alexander Teibrich
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I am torn by this book: on the one hand it contains great lessons, is a pleasure to read and easy to relate to. On the other hand it is sort of mostly empty really: there must be at least 50 close to blank pages in this book and the print is huge. I think the main ideas could really be summarized in a couple of pages only.
Nicole
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
** I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. **

This book was really more like 3.5 stars that I rounded up to 4. I'm sure it will be super helpful to some people, but only bits and pieces of this book seemed to apply to me. I was better than "just okay," but I wouldn't necessarily say it was "really good." There's some good tidbits throughout this book, but it seems more geared towards people wanting to start a business/website/professional goal/etc.
Tasmine
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I wasn't sure at first, the tips seemed very simplistic and just logical. However, I was inspired by Neil's stories and his rawness about his successes and failures. There were many tips I hope to put into practice. The last few lines of the book were powerful and really tied together the whole book. Just keep pushing forward :) Overall, loved it.
Janet
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I will be gifting this book to family members! So many parts of the book resonated with my own personal experience and reaffirmed techniques I had forgotten about. Awesome!!
Valerie
Nov 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get into this book at all. Wanted to like it but nope, not for me.
Mala Joshi
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cheerful and smart, this book was a good read on a recent flight. I thought that the author did a good job in providing a roadmap of the salient points as each chapter progressed.

Darlene
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another helpful tome for me and my crippling tendency for self-critique and self-doubt. I know I'll refer back to this often.
Gabe Mederos
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Neil Pasricha provides some easy, and fantastic tips on intentional living.
Asha - Joyof_reading
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Last month I asked for and received my first #netgalley book! I was super excited to as my first book was none other than @neilpasricha 's book,' You are Awesome ' .

I finished reading the book in 2 days! Much like his previous book, the happiness equation, he outlines 9 secrets to leading a more intentional life.

Neil speaks about personal experiences in the book and talks about what he's learned from those experiences. As I read through the 9 steps, I found myself saying, yes, this makes sense.
Krrish Khanal
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Some favorite excerpts
“Find the small ponds so you can be the big fish.”
“ Sometimes the best thing you can do is learn to add that dot-dot-dot… and keep going.”
“There’s no you of today without everything in your past. There’s no you of tomorrow without everything you’re going through now, either.”
“We all think that the way things are now is the way things will continue to be.”
“Wanting to be better is a real gift. Moving through failures is the real success. Building resilience is the real succe
Itasca Community Library
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Carrie says:
I read this book toward the end of 2019 when things were normal. Pasricha presents nine secrets on how to be resilient in the face of adversity. His conversational tone makes you feel as though you’re talking with a friend. He weaves stories throughout the book to help make his point and helps readers see how they can change their perspective. We need this book now more than ever, and I’d recommend it to any reader who might need a reminder that we can get through hard times.
Wendy
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy to follow guide on how to keep yourself focused on what’s really important to you.
wissem lakhal
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiring book with a lot of things to learn from
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Reinvention: Changing Your Life, Your Career, Your Future
  • Nothing to See Here
  • We Met in December
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor #1)
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Know My Name
  • The World That We Knew
  • Diagnosis: Solving the Most Baffling Medical Mysteries
  • She Died Famous
  • Thirteen Steps Down
  • Crime and Periodicals (Green Valley Library #2)
  • Look at Me Now
  • Where the Light Enters (The Waverly Place #2)
  • Cog
  • Five Stars: The Communication Secrets to Get from Good to Great
  • So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
Hey Goodreads peeps,

Pass me a drink. Let's chill on the ripped couch at the back. I love this place. Book lovers are my favorite people. (And my favorite lovers.)

My name is Neil Pasricha (pass-REACH-ah) and I'm the New York Times-blah-blah bestselling author of eight books exploring how to live an intentional life including THE BOOK OF AWESOME (gratitude), THE HAPPINESS EQUATION (happiness), and Y

News & Interviews

“We are living in a world where we no longer bend; we break.” 0 likes
“There's no you of today without everything in your past. There's no you of tomorrow without everything you're going through now, either.” 0 likes