Start by marking “Dark Ride” as Want to Read:

Dark Ride

'Bright Lights' AJ Starr is a pro wrestler on the rise, and his life is about to change forever. Knowing this, he plans one last party with all of his best friends. The venue? Saxon Hills theme park, abandoned ten years ago after its flagship ride burned down and killed nine innocent people. Some people say the place is haunted, but AJ knows from his time inside the square ...more
Published May 12th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Dark Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Ride

Start your review of Dark Ride
Sandra
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wrestler AJ and his friends get together to party at an old, abandoned, rundown theme park. As soon as they get there strange things begin to happen. Their lives are in danger. People are disappearing. The park's dark ride Frenzy seems to have a life of its own. Will they ever get out of there alive?

This was a really captivating read. I kept wanting to see what was going to happen next. I liked the abandoned theme park setting. It was totally creepy, especially the ride, Frenzy. I liked the spoo
Luvtoread
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A.J. invites his five closest friends to a old abandoned amusement park that he loved as a young child. A.J.wants to have one big party to relive and capture the great moments of happiness and friendship before he moves to the U.S. in search of his wrestling stardom that is waiting for him. Almost to the park they encounter a huge stag deer with one broken antler blocking their way. When the animal refused to move the girls became frightened and one of them believed it was a bad sign and wanted ...more
J.D.
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Summary

AJ has no idea that him and his five friends are about to go through much more than just a drunken party night when they break into an abandoned theme park. It doesn't take long to realize their mistake when they decide to camp out in an evil ride called Frenzy that killed 9 people and ultimately led to the park's closing.
Something in the ride needs sacrifices to escape and they unknowingly walked right into it's trap.

Personal Opinion

This was one heck of a thrill to read, because who doe
Dixie
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this author and have to admit I bought the book because of it. However, this was an awesome read. I absolutely LOVED it. it had a lot going for it. the characters, dialogue, setting, funny, and sad. it was so wonderful. do yourself a favor and read this book. it is awesome.
Lora Milton
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, carnival
The prologue depicts a disaster at an amusement park, centered in a scary ride called Frenzy. Jump ahead and the amusement park has been closed down for many years, leaving an eerie atmosphere as abandoned amusement parks often do.

A group of young people, one of them who works as a professional wrestler, go to break into the property for their own amusement, but a series of things go wrong before they even get there. Circumstances bring them into the jaws of the structure for Frenzy.

At this earl
Kevin
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this one down. A thrill ride of a book.
Angel Chiou
May 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
I feel like I have to apologize first for the following review...

To put it briefly: I'm quite certain that if you're not a ten-year-old, you will not be scared for a moment reading this book.

I've never read any book by this author before, and from the blurb I have high hopes for this book. After all, who doesn't love a haunted theme park? However, I cannot believe how bad this is. My first complaint is that the story didn't even start getting scary until over halfway through the book. I get th
Brandon
Mylene
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this in a frenzy

Another great story by Iain. I especially enjoyed the preface. He offered us a hint of what makes him such a great storyteller by telling us where he pulls his story ideas. It was very touching.
Dark Ride had a second layer to it besides the horror of the tale. It juxtaposed the good and evil in every man. It demonstrated all the lost time and missed opportunities by not recognizing what is important in life.
Keep writing, Iain, as you were born to do so. I, for one, will
Kim
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Dark Ride is, to me, a legitimately scary book. The idea of animatronics moving on their own is horrifying to me. I've never related harder to anyone than when Patty in Ghostbusters referred to a storage area of mannequins as a "room full of nightmares". This book played right into my fears for about the first 75%, but pretty much lost me in the end. The whole "men are here to keep the women safe" trope is pretty old-fashioned and unrelatable to me. I will still read Mr. Wright's writing, becaus ...more
William Bitner Jr.
By Iain Rob Wright

Genre - Fiction
Sub Genre - Horror/Suspense/Paranormal/British
Pages - 228
Publication Information - Independently published, May 17, 2019
Format - Print
Reviewed by William C. Bitner, Jr. (https://booksinmylibraryblog.wordpres...)
Rating - 📙📙📙📙📙

If your are familiar with Iain’s earlier work, such as The Housemates, ASBO, The Picture Frame, or Sam then you are going to fall in love with “Dark Ride”. Iain is very good at taking his readers on some very interesting and horror f
Andrew Galley
Dec 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated, fiction, horror
I read a lot of books and watch a lot of films. I enjoy both mediums for different reasons, and in engaging with both so much I’m good at identifying the frequent tropes. While that’s helped me develop tastes and preferences in ways that can make me sound like ‘that guy’ at a party, I’m not above media that doesn’t set to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes it’s fun to sit down and enjoy something simple that isn’t going to offer you a philosophical examination of the human condition. Dark Ride looked ...more
Amit
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Photo-Grid-1582351348530

Couldn't ask for more, really! Finished it in just 4 hours and after finishing the book I just couldn't shake off the tormented feeling of my head...

Actually it's my 2nd read of the author. I was looking and planning to read more book by him and finally I did it, haven't disappointed of course. Dark rides is a story about abandoned theme park, which had been shut down for many year. Aj a local wrestler with his all best friends was visiting that abandoned park for a little bit fun and spendi
Chris Wells
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Iain Rob Wright has delivered again with a tale that has everything you’d want from a horror story. There’s the eerie setting, the group of friends, some of whom you know will not see the end, and there’s the downright scary parts. Oh and there’s even some rats! That’s nearing a spoiler so no more about the story. The author has proven himself time and time again to be one of the best with fun, scary entertaining stories and this is yet another. It’s set in a deserted theme park and it’s clear h ...more
Bruce Blanchard
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book will make you think twice about sneaking onto a deserted probably haunted amusement ride. It claimed lives before - the operators tried again- it's now deserted with overgrowing grass tracks. Sure enough somebody will check it out and sure enough they should have stayed away. There are answers to be found here and they come with a high cost.
The reader isn't sure where the story is going for a while. Just some brave, crazy souls looking out for fun, a bunch of friends just chillin'. The
Hatchet Mouth
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The main character, AJ, is really unique as a pro wrestler who is slowly losing his eyesight. All the characters exemplify strong development as they are tested on the haunted ride during a night of drunken trespassing and boondocking. The ride has Norse roots in which the old deity Woden demands tribute for passengers to escape. It's all very bombastic and kitschy, and yet for this group of friends, it becomes deathly serious. I appreciated the pro wrestling references scattered throughout, suc ...more
William Mills
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book, I loved wrestling from the late 80s through to the naughties so a lot of this book resonates with me fondly!!! That's not to say its wrestling based or heavy, it just has the odd nod to the era I loved! The story moves at great pace and there's plenty to occupy the most wandering of minds. Mr Rob Wright's books are so easy to read and very moorish.... I cannot get my wife to buy them fast enough! (she's claimed him as her author so I'm not allowed to own the books... ...more
Dallas Kitchens
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing that Iain writes that does not scare the bangers and mash out of me. I like to think that I go into each review with an open mind, but his writing style is in my book perfectly balanced. He is in the top of his game. You care about who, what and where this story takes you, I'm right there with them all, and you will be to. Go on you can trust uncle dal, on a dark and stormy night. This is my review and if you dont like it, go pray to Woden. 6.5 stars out of 5
Samantha
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping

I may never ride a rollercoaster again,and I live less than an hour from Cedar Point. I've been on rides that literally killed people but somehow Dark Ride is more unsettling.
sharon featherston
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ride of the year

Lain rob Wright just gets better and better, up there with the best of british horror writers like James Herbert.
A disused theme park and 6 life long friends, with the intention of drinking and having fun...and they had the ride of their lifes
Teresa
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gave it three stars to start increased it to 4.

Not great literature, but a wonderful fun old fashioned horror story!

Kaila
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
wow... i read books and see it playing in my head like a movie and holy crap a couple spots i jumped.. and i didnt see the ending coming at all.. it was amazing and i cant wait to read the others.
Matt
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I listened to this on audiobook. The narrator was decent. I thought it was not bad. The idea was interesting and the characters and horror aspects were a little above average. I liked it for what it was.
Rebbekka-Mae Swan
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bit slow to get into

And nothing really exciting happened until 77% of the book but it was worth reading and made you keep reading just to see how it ends
Warren Fournier
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some novels read more like screenplays, and Iain Rob Wright's "Dark Ride" feels more like one of those generic cash-grab horror flicks featuring 20-something expendibles who act like annoying 12-year-olds getting thankfully picked off one-by-one. I'm looking at you, "Friday the 13th" reboot! Yet beneath the surface, there is more to "Dark Ride" than the typical horror formula, and in this review I'll explore the good and bad points of this very quick read.

The premise is very simple. Six old frie
John Morris
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Promised but didn't deliver!

I was truly impressed by all the 5* ratings given to this book but, for me, it was a disappointment. The plot was a good one but its delivery seemed "cartoonish". At the end I fully expected all the participants to wake up from some, drug induced, mass hallucination. Instead, all the men were dead and the women miraculously saved. Not for me I'm afraid.
Shelly Chapman
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Just okay

I didn't love this book but didn't hate it, either. I wouldn't necessarily consider it horror. It's not scary, but the story isn't terrible. I don't know how to describe it other than to call it Disney horror. There's a decent little twist at the end but it wraps up too neatly. I would recommend this book to anyone who doesn't really enjoy true horror.
Nollaig Kelly
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ride from hell

Some friends decide to have a loads hurray as they know it is the last time they will be together

Naturally they decide on a old theme park that burnt down and killed some people... Is it haunted let's read and see

The main character is a pro wrestler with a secret and through the novel there are enough mentions of other wrestlers...
CHRIS BLUEMEL
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never a disappointment

I had been eagerly awaiting this novel and read it in two days. All of this authors work is worth reading.
Tonia
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Great novel by Iain Wright ~ quite entertaining~ always a good read from this very talented author of horror. Good job
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Island
  • Cannibal Jungle
  • The Den (Full Moon #2)
  • Full Moon
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec