Start by marking “Last Stop Auschwitz: My Story of Survival from within the Camp” as Want to Read:

Last Stop Auschwitz: My Story of Survival from within the Camp

Written in Auschwitz itself, this one-of-a-kind, minute-by-minute true account is a crucial historical testament to a Holocaust survivor's fight for his life at the largest extermination camp in Nazi Germany, translated for the first time ever into English.

"We know that there is only one ending to this, only one liberation from this barbed wire hell: death." --Eddy de
Published January 21st 2020 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1946)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Last Stop Auschwitz by Eddy de Wind
    Release date: Jan 21, 2020
    Enter to win a copy of LAST STOP AUSCHWITZ by Eddy de Wind!

*NO P.O. Boxes*

Written in the camp itself in the weeks following the Red Army's liberation

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 25 copies available, 2495 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 03 - Mar 31, 2020

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

Start your review of Last Stop Auschwitz: My Story of Survival from within the Camp
    Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Thank you to the publisher for the gifted copy.

Written while Eddy de Wind was a prisoner in Auschwitz, this survival story is one that cant be missed. Like all Holocaust stories, the atrocities are laid bare, and like with most survival stories, there is always hope, hope and humanity.

More thoughts to come.

Many of my reviews can also be found on instagram: www.instagram.com/tarheelreader
    Lou
    Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    There have been many books written of late about world war II experiences; there are those detailing the lead up to the brutal war, those that discuss the war itself and those that talk about the aftermath but never have I read one which was actually written with a pencil and paper whilst both Eddy de Wind and his wife, Friedel, were imprisoned and put to work at Auschwitz. During His 16 month stay, he recorded the occurrences and his feelings about such incidents and I felt incredibly moved to ...more
    Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: four-star
    The only known memoir written by an Auschwitz survivor, whilst still within the camp. This is a true story which the author sadly did not live to see published and appreciated by the world. However, his legacy continues as his book is becoming ever more popular as the 75th anniversary of the Auschwitz liberation has passed.

This memoir reads almost in a fiction like dialogue, but it is still an intriguing glimpse at the many complexities of camp life. The book also features an afterword
    Anna
    Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 4-stars, read-2020
    This was definitely something I usually don't read.

It's a description of Eddy de Winds life at Auschwitz and how he survived it.
    It describes the camp and what it was like to be there and what you had to do to survive.

It's different to read someone's story than read about it from school books. This is eye-opening story and worst part for me was the after camp was gone. How people told their stories, what they had seen and done in order to survive, it is awful.

Also, I appreciate de Winds reason
    Tam
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Jo
    Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
    Although this story is about one of the most horrific periods in humanity's history, I found it droll and I found it difficult to connect with the author. Its a shame, but after reading many true accounts of WWII I find myself struggling to read books that aren't well written.
    Nicole
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: my-books, memoir
    It is, to me, the ultimate Holocaust testimony author Heather Morris. It is the ONLY complete testimony to date written inside Auschwitz.

Last Sop Auschwitz is an incredible account of life in one historys darkest times. Rightly or wrongly, I continue to devour books set during this time, the second world war, so it was no surprise that I bought this as soon as it hit the shelves. The writer of this account is Dutch doctor and psychiatrist, Eddy de Wind. In 1943, De Wind volunteered to work in a
    julianne
    This book was written while the author was in Auschwitz, and shows the horrors of the camp.

It is in a rash of books about the Holocaust that have been published recently and while informative it is lacking a certain something.

Vanessa
    Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley-x, xx
    Last Stop Auschwitz by Eddy de Wind was first published January 1st 1946. I am so glad I had a chance to read and review. I found it a hard book to read but so glad I read it. So you will need Tissues and a Lots of them!
    It will be a book that will be with me a very long time. I would highly recommend it to people who want to know and and read more about this terrible time in the Second World War. This book is a true story about a prisoner Eddy De Wind: the author is a real-time record of his
    Aby Rose
    Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    The afterword of this memoir is by John Boyne (the author of The Boy in Stripped Pyjamas) and the following two quotes summarise this memoir by Eddy de Wind...

"A unique insight into a tragedy that, more than any other event, defines the twentieth century."

"I've found myself astonished by how deeply the daily events of camp life emblazoned themselves on the minds of the survivors, scorched into their collective memories with as much indiscriminate savagery as the tattoos carved into their arms"

I
    Susan Taylor
    Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Reminded me of The Last Tattoo Artist...
    It tells of the horrors that this Dr. & wife went through during the war and how many were killed. The torture and desegregation of thousands of human beings. The last 2 chapters are the authors notes; explaining some things I don't want to spoil.
    Wouter Kok
    Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I've read the dutch book version. This book makes you remember how messed up and mindblowing our history can be.
    Tony Nielsen
    Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    In 2019 there seems to have been a rush to publish books about the horrors of the Nazi Concentration camp Auschwitz. I have got myself caught up in wanting to understand the depths of cruelty and desperation which was wrought on literally hundreds of thousands of Europeans shipped to Auschwitz and almost certain death.

Last Stop Auschwitz is somewhat unusual amongst the number of books which have recently been published, as its a first hand account by doctor and psychiatrist Eddy de Wind, and his
    Caren
    I find it difficult to rate a Holocaust testimony. I unreservedly honour the courage and the commitment of the survivor, in this case Dr. Eddy de Wind, who published in 1946 what is thought to be the "only complete book written in Auschwitz itself". However, he chose to have his story narrated by "Hans" because "the horror of his experience was still so raw he couldn't find the words to describe it in the first person." (publisher's foreword) I was confused by this convention and, as a result, ...more
    Michelle Tuite
    Reading 2020
    Book 23: Last Stop Auschwitz by Eddy de Wind

There I was sitting at my doctor's appointment this morning, the news was on TV. The anchor announces that today , January 27, is International Holocaust Remembrance Day 2020. How appropo that I was finishing up this book today. Thanks Katie @Basic B's Guide for lending me your book.

Eddy, a Dutch Jew, is a prisoner at Auschwitz, along with his wife. As the war comes to an end Eddy is left in the camp to help care for the remaining
    Kati Roby
    Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I just want to note that many who mentioned disliking the book because they couldnt get into it are missing the point.

This was not written to be literary. It was written as a memoir, so the world would know what happened and it is stated as such towards the end of the book. The author wrote this in third person because it was traumatic to write about, but he knew how important it was; not because he was writing a novel with the enjoyment of the reader in mind.

Ultimately, this is nonfiction.
    Memory Mathema
    It was a hard book to follow and understand the sequence of events which I imagine is indicative of how sporadic life was for a prisoner in Auschwitz. I felt emotionally detached to the story probably because of the style of writing or because this is a translation and certain experiences failed to connect with my psyche. Am still glad to have read through it and be reminded of the horrible extremes humans can be capable of if people fail to stand up for what is wwrong.It reads like a testimony.
    Lisa Carlile
    This story is based on the true story of Eddy and Friedel. They were a married couple who ended up in Auchwitz in 1943. But they were separated at the time of arrival. Eddy who is known throughout the book as Hans was a Jewish doctor
    To be honest I struggled with the style of this book. I have read many historical fiction books from around the WW2 era but found this difficult to read. The German or Polish words interspersed throughout it somehow broke the flow of the story.
    It's a shame as I think
    Aislinn Kelly
    Last Stop Auschwitz is the heartbreaking true story of Dutch Jew Eddy de Wind and his experiences in Auschwitz. This story was very difficult to read at periods as Eddy's time in Auschwitz was so horrifying and cruel.. Even though the book was upsetting at times, I did find this story uplifting as it shows the power and courageness of people in spite of such injustice. Eddy's story will stay with me for a long time to come.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC
    Sandy
    Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I cannot give a book written by a Holocaust survivor any less than five stars just on principle of what they have come through and survived. Sharing their stories is very painful I am sure and this one is no different than the others I have read .... so hard to absorb and then to believe that people could be so capable of such cruelty. A terrible time in history. Taking a break from Holocaust reading for a bit Glad its a sunshiny day ...more
    Leslie
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    It is a factual, hard-hitting look at life in Auschwitz, written while he was there. Eddy de Wind (called Hans in the book) spares us the figurative language and poetic styles that we often see in these works. It is straightforward, moving, and difficult to read. We know the ending but that doesn't make it any easier to read. Wow, I couldn't put it down. This is an important book to add to the canon of Holocaust literature.
    Kelly Flick
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I think this book is worth the read for the historical value of it. It's a good story, but it is so much more than that. When you consider the mental and physical strain the author was under while writing this book it is truly inspiring. We can never forget what happened during the Holocaust and this book is a testament to some of the atrocities that took place. Read it and remember and learn from what the author witnessed so that we never repeat history.
    Rylee
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    As stated within this book, the fact that this work was written during Eddy de Winds time in the camp and not afterwords makes it an incredibly crucial insight into the Holocaust and Auschwitz itself. Definitely would recommend familiarizing oneself with the glossary before reading as a knowledge of certain words are critical. ...more
    Nissa
    Like most Holocaust stories, this one isn't a happy story, but it was a good one to read. It was moving and kept my interest the entire way through. I'd recommend it to someone who likes to read holocaust literature. If you dont like survival holocaust stories than you may think its boring. ...more
    Sheila Ring
    Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

This is probably one of the best accounts of life in Auschwitz that I have ever read. This memoir is raw, powerful and heartbreaking. This book is a must read for anyone with an interest in WWII history.
    Jeff Bobin
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Written as a novel while still in Auschwitz after being liberated by the Red Army this is a emotional look at what it was like to be there at the end of the war.

Using a different name it is his story and one you can feel at you read.
    Maria Slavtscheva
    Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This is a milestone book that has to be read, not only because of the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz this year. If one cannot read Dutch, I can very much recommend the new translation by David Colmer.
    Keith CARTER
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    An extraordinarily haunting account of life in a Nazi concentration camp. It is both brutal and kind, it explains the cruelty and hopes people experienced. It also shows what people will do to cling to life, no matter how miserable it is. What it is mostly is a MUST READ!
    Clare Dowle
    Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Heartbreaking piece of history.
    Shauna Doherty
    Good book and another account of a mans exoerience with these horrible in humane camos what i liked most about the book os that the autour wrote it while in the camp

• Mijn naam is Selma
    • Boy Swallows Universe
    • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
    • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
    • He Said/She Said
    • Tarja Kulho: Räkkärimarketin kassa
    • The Night the Lights Went Out
    • Our Souls at Night
    • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
    • Wanted - Suomen etsityimmän rikollisen tarina
    • Äitiä ikävä
    • The Mister
    • Aino Sibelius
    • Silloin tällöin onnellinen
    • The Score (Off-Campus, #3)
    • Stockmann Yard: Myymäläetsivän muistelmat
    • Paperilla toinen
    • Generaal zonder leger
    Eliazar (Eddy) de Wind (Den Haag, 6 februari 1916 Amsterdam, 27 september 1987) was een Nederlandse arts, psychiater en psychoanalyticus van Joodse afkomst. De Wind was een overlevende van de Holocaust uit het kamp Auschwitz.

===

Eliazar (Eddy) de Wind (Den Haag, 6 February 1916 Amsterdam, 27 September 1987) was a Dutch-Jewish doctor, psychiatrist and psychoanalyst. He was a Holocaust survivor

News & Interviews