Start by marking “Someone Else's Baby” as Want to Read:

Someone Else's Baby

She gave away her children. Now she wants them back.

Published July 25th 2019 by Hera Books

To ask other readers questions about Someone Else's Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Else's Baby

Start your review of Someone Else's Baby
Dash fan
4☆ A Gripping, Poignant, Unique Thriller

SOMEONE ELSE'S BABY is a Poignant, Gripping, Thought Provoking, Unique Thriller.

When Charlotte decides to become a surrogate, she believes she's found the perfect couple in Malcolm and Brenda.
So when things start moving ahead and Charlotte falls pregnant with Twins, she is over the moon for the couple.

But things start to take a sinister and dark turn when Malcolm and Brenda disappear without a trace, taking the Twin Babies and Charlotte's final payment.

Ch
Lou
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read quite a few books of late that use the theme of surrogacy as the main aspect of the plot but none in the psychological thriller genre. In this compelling and thought-provoking debut, author Ms Speechley builds a story with a potent mix of mystery, emotion and food for thought, which makes it stand out in a crowded marketplace of identikit thrillers. It follows Charlotte who decides to selflessly become the surrogate to provide a child to a couple who have longed for a family for a lo ...more
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Surrogacy is something that has always fascinated me. Someone carrying a baby for nine months to hand it over to someone else. I enjoyed getting to know Charlotte and the reasons to why she wanted to help someone. I was a bit dubious about her husband though to start with as money seemed to be the major factor, which again I could understand the reasons why they needed it, but to start with he did come across as being more money orientated. As I got to know him better though, I could see how muc ...more
Shalini
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book twisted my insides in the most delicious of ways. I was honestly blown away by the story arc and the style of writing. The author Ruby Speechley has chosen the most gray areas of medicine and law, blended them smoothly, added bucketful of suspense and trepidation to give me a story which hooked me from beginning to end. SURROGACY!!

Charlotte wanted to do a good deed and help a couple have a child of their own by optioning to be a surrogate mother. She chose a couple in their 40s unable
Amelia Strydom
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars (rounded up) for this fast-paced and addictive debut novel!

Charlotte Morgan grew up in the shadow of her mother's repeated miscarriages, which eventually contributed to her parents' divorce. After the birth of her own baby, Alice, Charlotte decides to act as surrogate mother for a desperate couple. She posts on an unofficial surrogacy internet group, where she meets Brenda and Malcolm. She immediately hits it off with the latter. Charlotte's husband, Steve, is happy with her choice of
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
This is a brilliantly written debut novel. When I read the blurb I couldn’t wait to read it. I wasn’t disappointed. Once I started reading it I honestly couldn’t put it down.

Charlotte wants to help others feel the joy of being parents like she has herself. When she meets Malcolm and Brenda on a surrogacy website she agrees to help them. Handing over their twins is hard but Charlotte believes she is doing the right thing. That is until secrets are revealed and Charlotte wonders did she really kn
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Wow what a debut! This is a first class psychological thriller that will have you dropping everything. I am still blown away that this is Ruby’s debut novel. There are very few books from a first time author that keep me engaged right from the get go wanting more and more. I felt a connection with the story and with Ruby’s writing straight away. I definitely had a book hangover after I finished this one!

The plot of the book is very compelling and an intriguing one. The subject of surrogacy is ex
Fiona Mitchell
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This thoughtful debut about surrogacy gripped me and pulled me through its pages at breakneck speed. It poses an impossible question - could you give up your own biological baby and give him or her to someone who couldn’t have a child of their own? Motivated by heartbreak in her past, Charlotte decides to give an infertile couple the ultimate gift - a child of their own. She meets Brenda and the V-neck-jumper-wearing Malcolm online and several times in person, but how can Charlotte tell if they ...more
Nicki
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charlotte grew up feeling unwanted and unloved,her youth blighted by her mother's repeated miscarriages. Her one wish had been that another woman would give her mother the baby that she craved.

Charlotte is now married to Steve and they have a young daughter Alice who brings so much love into their lives that Charlotte decides to help others achieve their dreams of becoming parents.

When she finds Malcolm and Brenda on a surrogacy website,it seems that she has found the perfect couple and they are
Sophie Bristow Harris
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a superb debut psychological thriller by Ruby Speechly. I was gripped from start to finish. The characters were well rounded, the chapters short and snappy. The words just flowed from the pages and I loved it from start to finish. I can’t wait to read more from this great author.
Mellisa
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was intriguing right from the start! I don't really like reading stories of children going missing etc but this one sounded so different, so mysterious!

I actually felt a lot of sympathy for Charlotte and Steve, though at first Steve annoyed me with the whole only thinking about the money. I really felt worry for Brenda too, as the story went on it was made clear things weren't right, how she had bruises and flinched when Malcolm was near her, how Malcolm didn't like photos of them bein
Melanie’s reads
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The main subject of this book is surrogacy, an area most people know happens but probably don’t realise how unregulated it is.

Charlotte, having grown up in a home full of sadness, watching her mothers despair after multiple miscarriages and stillbirths decides she wants to help an older couple have a baby.

Enter Brenda and Malcolm who seem too good to be true. HELLO ALARM BELLS!!! You know the saying “The road to Hell is paved with good intentions ” well this sums this book up perfectly.

Charlotte
Shirley
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book with a twist that had me hooked.
Michelle B
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great domestic thriller.
Charlotte has always wanted to be a mother. She experienced what it was like to lose a child when her mother had a number of miscarriages when Charlotte was growing up. After Charlotte and her husband Steven have their first child they agree to Charlie becoming a surrogate for a childless couple.
The couple the choose, Brenda and Malcolm, seem perfect and are willing to pay a bit more in expenses than ‘the norm’. Will all go well on the road to the delivery of the twins Ch
Lucille
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this enthralling psychological thriller by Ruby Speechley. An unputdownable story about Charlotte, a mother who acts as a surrogate for a couple desperate to have their own baby. But when Charlotte discovers she is having twins she becomes suspicious of the couple, especially when their cheques for expenses bounce. After handing the babies over, Charlotte has second thoughts.

This is an unusual take on surrogacy and the risks women take by having children for other people. Besides the obv
Lucy Beevor
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Was totally absorbed by it - not just the heart-in-my-mouth plot twists that kept me turning the pages, but also the characters, the sub-plots, the beautifully developed relationships between mother and daughter, husband and wife. I love to learn about new worlds, new situations, places I've never been to - this author took me into one family's experience of surrogacy and I came out the other side with so much more awareness and empathy and understanding. Read it!
Mickey
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-books
Okay, so first off, I'm going to post a trigger warning. This book focuses a lot on baby loss; miscarriages, still births, infertility and surrogacy. As someone who has had to deal with the loss of babies, some of this was a little upsetting.
However... I loved this book. I loved the synopsis, I loved how twisty it got and I loved how much it had me guessing til the end. I did correctly guess one of the little twists but everything else had my mind racing.
I believe this is the authors debut and
Joyce Stewart Reviews
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruby Speechley
psychological thriller
305 pages
5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Charlotte Morgan knows how it feels to desperately want a baby. As a child, seeing her mum devastated by losing her longed-for babies, Charlotte wished another woman could give her mother what she so craved.Now Charlotte’s a mum herself, and knowing how much love her daughter, Alice, brings into her life, she vows to help others achieve their dreams of becoming a parent.
When she meets Malcolm and Brenda on a surrogacy websit
Ami-May
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
plot

Oh my, The plot knocked my socks clean off. I am astonished how incredibly unique, inventful, eye-opening this storyline was. While also being abhorrent and shocking.

The plot heavily focuses on the surrogate, highlighting surrogation laws. It is an inciteful and educational read about surrogacy and outdated laws.

But is a spine-chilling and impulsive psychological thriller.

Charlotte wants to become a surrogate after watching her mother having multiple stillbirths growing up, her way of trying
MeWriter
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ruby Speechley's debut is a fast paced, roller coaster ride through surrogacy and all the right and wrong things about it. It does a good job of presenting the differing reasons and views of others who may choose to judge. The Prologue will grab you and the story intensifies as it goes on. Well done!
Sam
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book i have read for a long time ! I literally had a job to put it down.
R.J. Heald
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book

Brilliant book - couldn't put it down. Just had to keep turning the pages -so addictive. Can't wait for the next one!
Lil Red
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cracking read - fantastic pace. I couldn’t put it down.
Claire
I’ve got to say, surrogacy isn’t for me. Whilst I was pregnant with my boys, I couldn’t wait to watch them grow up and develop. I admire the women who can go through the nine-month pregnancy and are able to hand over their baby to the intended parents. It has to be such an emotional but rewarding thing to do.

Charlotte’s character, I felt, was portrayed brilliantly. She wanted to do something amazing for a couple who had suffered in the same way her own mother had with miscarriages. Ruby Speechle
Lel Budge
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: botbs
Charlotte had seen the heartbreak her mother had gone though at being unable to have a second child, so she decides to become a surrogate….and husband Steve agrees….they could use the money!

They meet Malcolm and Brenda and start the process…Charlotte gets pregnant with twins and the ‘parents’ are over the moon, but something niggles at Charlotte, Malcolm’s temper and Brenda’s tears, but she’s soon convinced all will be ok…but are Malcolm and Brenda to be trusted ?

Is Charlotte too trusting and ju
Chanel Lindsay
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I may have guessed the overall plotline from the beginning but this read, regardless of not being a parent myself, still sent me down a path of worry, fret and nail-biting intenseness. The story kept me hooked and on the edge of my seat from beginning to end! With fabulously emotionally relatable characters, and an excellently gripping plot, this one was d
Karen Coles
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this almost in one sitting as I could not wait to find out what would happen. It's very cleverly done, so that the tension keeps building - and building and you just have to keep turning the pages. Beautifully written with a scarily believable storyline.
Tonya
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok wow! Just wow. This book describes how one woman grew up watching her own mother suffer stillbirth after stillbirth and never having children again. Her mother was left empty and therefore Charlotte grew up wanting to help other mothers who couldn’t conceive experience their dream. Due to the lack of laws in the UK on surrogacy, wannabe mothers and surrogates used forums on the internet to find potential matches. Charlotte did it for the experience of helping another woman’s happiness, while ...more
Linda Tilling
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
My 4* review for Someone Else's Baby by Ruby Speechley.

"She gave away her children. Now she wants them back.

Charlotte watched her Mum go through many miscarriages, and now she is a Mum herself she wants to help other childless couples become parents. When she meets Malcolm and Brenda on a surrogacy website, it seems that she has found the perfect couple. In their late forties, they’ve spent their life building a successful business and traveling the world, but there’s just one thing missing – a
ReadandRated
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars from me!

I was sucked into this story immediately and raced through the pages, Someone Else's Baby is an immersive dive into the world of surrogacy and fast paced psychology thriller to boot!

Charlotte and Steve seem to have a genuinely lovely relationship - they live in tiny flat with hardly any money but that old adage 'money can't buy happiness' has never been more true for them seem very together and very in love.

As such it is both weird and yet totally believable that they decide to g
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Girl You Gave Away
  • The Darkest Summer
  • One Of Us Is Lying
  • The Marriage Trap
Ruby Speechley is a psychological thriller writer. Her debut novel, Someone Else’s Baby, was published by Hera Books on 25 July 2019.

You can contact her on Twitter: @rubyspeechley, Facebook: ‘Ruby Speechley Author’ or via her website: rubyspeechley.com