Start by marking “Creative Journaling: A Guide to Over 100 Techniques and Ideas for Amazing Dot Grid, Junk, Mixed Media, and Travel Pages” as Want to Read:

Spark your creativity and keep yourself organized with the beautiful pages and easy-to-follow instructions ofCreative Journaling. With 52 projects,from simple tricks,like making your own washi tape, to more ambitious projects, like crafting a custom planner, you’ll soon have the best-looking to-do list around.

Author Renee Day will take you on an artistic adventure as you
Published January 14th 2020 by Rock Point (first published January 1st 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Journaling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Journaling

Start your review of Creative Journaling: A Guide to Over 100 Techniques and Ideas for Amazing Dot Grid, Junk, Mixed Media, and Travel Pages
Velvet
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a great book, particularly if you're a beginner art journaler. I especially enjoyed the chapters with more in-depth and crafty ways to journal.

I keep telling myself I'm going to start art journaling, or at least journal with a crafty lean to it, but I have yet to do it. Maybe this hyper-relevant guide will be just the nudge I need.

I took a star off because although the handwriting/fonts/scripts in the book were absolutely amazing, we weren't really given instructions as to how to
Gloria
This book has some great ideas for journaling as I was hoping it would. I enjoy journaling using a dot grid book where I keep a calendar with events, appointments, special occasions, and important notes along with general ideas and happenings. I also use it for keeping up with my Goodreads book challenge. I wanted some ideas to spruce it up. It is a fun thing just for me, a way to create. Creative Journaling has some ideas for creating calendars, special events pages with dates including ...more
Natalie
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was sent an ARC this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

I have been journalling for over a year now and find it one of the most stress relieving and relaxing hobbies I've found beside reading of course!
This book is jam packed with amazing creative journalling ideas for everyone and shows step by step instructions on how to achieve that look/page/idea.
This has given me some amazing ideas to add to my journal and covers different journal types too such as
Janet

When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Spark your creativity and keep yourself organized with the beautiful pages
Jiny S
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-reads
This big book of journaling contains lots of colourful designs, styles, layouts, and complete sample pages. The perfect amount of words in the description. You can flip through it like a magazine if you want, or read what interests you more closely. It covers a variety of topics, including working with binding pages, using mixed medias, and creating accessories (e.g. cute ribbon flag paper clips).

I think this is perfect for someone planning to start their next bullet journal. It’s full of
Alicia Bayer
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone who loves bullet journaling and making altered books, I really enjoyed this book of creative journaling ideas. The first half are all bullet journal ideas, with some wonderfully creative spreads that are fairly simple with a nice impact. For each one, Day goes into step by step directions on how to do them yourself. Most require only simple tools, though she does use quite a few stencils (you can also freehand those, but they won't be as precise). You can easily replicate most of her ...more
Annie
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Creative Journaling by Renee Day is a tutorial guide with illustrations for bullet journaling. Due out 14th Jan 2020 from Quarto on their Rock Point imprint, it's 208 pages and will be available in paperback format.

The instruction and tutorials here are easy to follow and the book is accessible and appealing. The introductory chapters (~8% of the content) cover general ideas, materials, and techniques. The following chapters give overviews over
Carmen
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I received a copy from Quarto Publishing Group and Rock Point through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I’ve loved arts and crafts since I was a small child, and I’ve always found journaling fun, so I love combining the two with my bullet journal. When I saw this book, I thought it sounded like a cool resource for new techniques to use on my bullet journal. What I didn’t expect was to come out wanting to make junk journals. I’m going to have so much fun!

Renee Day covers a lot of
Tracy Wood
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
If, like me, you look at the amazing journal pages on sites such as Pinterest and realise you are never going to be able to achieve anything close to them then this book is for you! It starts with basic designs and if you can work with a ruler and some washi tape you can make your own designs and be proud of them.

Gradually more experience is needed but whether you work through the book or dip and delve your confidence will grow and so will your artistic talents. There are some specialised pieces
Matt
Shelves: read-2019
Creative Journaling: A Guide to Over 100 Techniques and Ideas for Amazing Dot Grid, Junk, Mixed Media, and Travel Pages by Renee Day is exactly what the title states: a superbly creative and fun guide to journaling!

Creative Journaling is a high quality piece, and the images are immediately recognisable as Renee Day’s. They would all fit perfectly onto her Instagram feed, and I wouldn’t be surprised if some had been lifted from it.

My favourite layout within the book is definitely the ‘Easiest
C. S.
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like a lovely journey through Instagram hashtags, except without the mistakenly tagged ripped guys with motorcycles. (Wait, what?)

In all seriousness, this is a gorgeous book. One of the things I love about dot journaling is how versatile it is, and how open to newbies. If you see a thing you like, you can just do it, and it's not that hard. I also like that artistic talent in the traditional sense isn't a requirement, only that you try stuff and see what works best for you.

That being said, I
Cathy Geha
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creative Journaling by Renee Day

What a delightful book filled with ideas this turned out being. I just sent the information to my artistic sister who does altered book round-robins with friends knowing there are tips and tricks she will love to see and use in future projects. This book has so so much information that I enjoyed glimpsing through and when I finished reading I thought, “I would LOVE to have this book to refer to in the future. The trick is going to be finding a hard copy to have
Cote Cabrera
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this book through NetGalley. All opinions are my own

This was a very fun book. I'm really into bullet journaling so when I saw a copy of this book I decided to give it a go. This book is full of ideas but not only it focuses on the dot grid notebook but it also includes different spreads for different types of journals. I believe this is a great book for people looking to create new pages in their journals or that want to try creating a junk journal, travel journal, etc. The
Jantine
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I work my way through journals in a fast speed, I love to get inspiration from any place I can. This book turned out to be one of those places full of inspiration.

While flipping through it, I already couldn't resist taking up my journal and try a couple of the ideas in this book. Off course I cannot try all of them in a short amount of time, but I will try all of them over the coming months, I am sure of it. The ones I did try made my heart make a leap of joy.

The ideas are easy to try, and
CR
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book! A little more than an overview but less than an in-depth how to. This book has everything from making your own washi tape to making your own planner from scratch. I think the book did a great job with explaining how to do each project in an easy to follow way. I think this book would work for those just starting out as well as those seasoned in creating journaling. I even found some stuff that I didn't know about and I have been journaling for ages.
Krissy
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley, ebooks
I love this! I bought a really nice planner to keep for this year (2020) and this gives me some great ideas for it. It also helped me find the confidence to just do it and stop letting my journals collect dust because I'm guilty of that too. I'm so ready.
Rather.be.reading1
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love art journaling and have several so I was so excited to read this book! Although, this is more of a beginners book to different techniques for journaling it was still very appealing to me. I really enjoyed that they defined everything so even if you are a novice to it you really can learn how to do it and are not expected to know anything going into it. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this creative book.
Pam Sartain
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creative Journaling is a guide to layouts for bullet journals (called dot grid journaling here), junk journals (when you use left over ticket stubs, pages from books and so on to make a journal), mixed-media journals (when you use paint, hot glue guns, and other things to make an artistic journal), and travel journals (making pockets to put tickets and so on).

I use a bullet journal, but I hadn't seen how to set up any of the others, and so this book gives you clear instructions for how to set up
Malligal
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In 2017 I randomly found Dot Journaling and was immediately hooked. I’ve always had an obsession with planners, but none of the books I found in stores ever really seemed to be geared towards what I was looking for. So finding out there were blank books and a technique of creating your own layouts and journal style as you go definitely appealed to me. That being said, I’m only slightly ashamed to say that I bought all the materials, but fizzled out as soon as I realized it was a lot more in ...more
Nina Harrington
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If, like me, you used to hate to write in your journals, because they were so beautiful, then this is the book for you.
The main theme is that there are no rules or regulations as to how you use your journal - each one is as different as you are. Instead, you are encourage to be free to use the journal as a form of self-expression.

"Art journalling (a form of art therapy) is a powerful form of expression when words just won't do."

This book covers everything from:
* Dot Grid Journals, where you can
Psusan
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Creative Journaling by Renee Day gives a substantial number of ideas at ways to easily spice up journaling. Many materials are discussed but much of the activities involve simple supplies that do not need a lot of practice to use. That make this book even more attractive in that anyone can use these ideas. With pencils, pens, markers, washi tape and paper being easily found anyone could use the ideas. Also many of the ideas are not complicated.

This journaling guidebook would be great for young
Samantha
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, craft
This is an excellent book for those looking for inspiration on how to start journaling with plenty of different layout suggests to follow and adapt.

Create Journaling is split into six main sections:
- Introduction, Materials & Techniques
- Dot Grid Journaling
- Junk Journaling
- Mixed-Media Journaling
- Travel Journaling
- DIY Accessories & Papers

Overall there are 56 ideas to try. and comes with plenty of steps and colour photographs for you to follow and make your own journal, using stamps,
joyce w. laudon
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This title offers lots of ways of expressing oneself. After an introductions and chapters on materials and techniques, a umber of projects are detailed. There are sections on Dot Grid Journaling, Junk Jornaling, Mixed Media Journaling and Travel Journaling. The book ends with a section on DIY Accessoreis and Papers. There are 52 projects in all.

The author presents a helpful list of materials to have on hand and suggestions for creative lettering for one's journal pages. There are then colorful
marvellousmarmite
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I've been bullet journaling for a while now and the first section of this book dealt with ideas to use in a journal like that - most of which I'd seen before but a few of which I'll be trying.

I'm not particularly artistically blessed, but I do enjoy having a go. For me, the junk (harsh word, I think odds and ends or special papers maybe fits better) journaling and the mixed media section were great for this. Lots of new ideas to me and I'm inspired! A way to put
Nolwenn
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I absolutely loved this book! The author covers dot grid journaling (bullet journaling), junk journaling, mixed-media journaling, travel journaling and even shows a few DIY accessories and papers at the end.
I am not a complete beginner in bullet or travel journaling but this book has so many ideas I want to test right away! I did try junk and mixed-media journaling a couple of years ago but was a bit lost about all the techniques and materials (what do I really need? Do I need a craft room full
Witch-at-Heart
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. I am honestly more of a doodler and drawing to express my feelings kind of girl so this book was perfect fro me. It has tons of very inspirational ideas on how to make your journal or day planner creative and meaningful for you. It gives a broad overview into multiple concepts to add pizazz to whatever you use to either keep your daily thoughts or organize your tasks. I have found tons of fun ideas to incorporate into the things i use daily. It is also fantastic stress ...more
Mary
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a jeweler and crafter but have only made four journals (that I gave away) to date. I’ve read numerous articles on Pinterest and watched YouTube videos on how to journal but having all that information all in one place is priceless. So when I say I love this book, I really, really love it. I even placed my preorder for this book before I wrote this review!
The author explains about using all sorts of items to make a journal personally yours or for others. I’ve even used some of the ideas,
Jessie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
NetGalley Review:

This how-to manual provides excellent walk-throughs for how to get those Instagram worthy bullet journal pages. The book starts with simple 10-minute projects as a warm-up and then moves into increasing creative and impressive examples of journal layouts.

There are examples for daily, weekly, and monthly layouts. As well as layouts that are adaptable beyond calendars, such as habit trackers and goal lists.

This book is great as a tangible on-the-shelf example of how to start
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s been a few years since I stumbled across the concept of Bullet Journaling, and it grabbed me from the start: a mix of organisation and creativity sounds absolutely my thing! However, I’ve fallen into a bit of a rut with my ‘spreads’ (page designs) over the past year, never really got as creative with it all as I wanted, and am actually taking a bit of a break right now. My intention is to start a new journal with new enthusiasm for the new year.

So, when I spotted this book on NetGalley, it
Jilly
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
A gem of a book. I think you would struggle to find a better resource for journalling. Fantastic for anyone who enjoys putting a creative slant on journalling, diarising, planning, etc. Detailed illustrations, instructions and resource lists make these ideas clear to follow and suggest many, and various, ways to personalise your journal.
Some of these projects are really simple and others need more resources and/or time, but all very appealing.
Ideas include how to cover/ re-cover a journal; how
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Embroider Almost Everything: A Sourcebook of 500+ Modern Motifs + Easy Stitch Tutorials—Learn to Draw with Thread!
  • Watercolor the Easy Way: Step-By-Step Tutorials for 50 Beautiful Motifs Including Plants, Flowers, Animals & More
  • The Meatless Monday Family Cookbook: Kid-Friendly, Plant-Based Recipes [Go Meatless One Day a Week—or Every Day!]
  • The Art of Watercolor Lettering: A Beginner's Step-by-Step Guide to Painting Modern Calligraphy and Lettered Art
  • Inspired Artist: Draw Every Little Thing: Learn to draw more than 100 everyday items, from food to fashion
  • The Draw Any Animal Book: Over 150 Simple Step-by-Step Drawing Sequences for Every Kind of Creature
  • Creative Alcohol Inks: A Step-by-Step Guide to Achieving Amazing Effects--Explore Painting, Pouring, Blending, Textures, and More!
  • Modern Colored Pencil: A playful and contemporary exploration of colored pencil drawing - Includes 75+ Projects and Techniques
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • Crafting Cute: Polymer Clay the Kawaii Way
  • Hidden Places: An Inspired Traveller's Guide
  • The Ultimate Fluid Pouring & Painting Project Book: Inspiration and Techniques for using Alcohol Inks, Acrylics, Resin, and more; Create colorful paintings, resin coasters, agate slices, vases, vessels & more
  • The Little Book of Scandi Living
  • Lettering for Absolute Beginners: Using Faux Calligraphy to Create Simple Versatile Projects
  • The Secret Garden Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden
  • Warriors, Witches, Women: Mythology's Fiercest Females
  • The Mrs. Frollein Collection: Small Hours
  • Mending Life: A Handbook for Repairing Clothes and Hearts
Renee Day is the creator of The DIY DAY, a creative blog dedicated to sharing do-it-yourself crafts with easy to follow step-by-step instructions. Her unique video style on Instagram has garnered millions of views and she's been fortunate to work with many successful businesses.

Whether it's calligraphy, paper-crafts, stamping, mixed-media, crocheting, or journaling, Renee loves to craft. When