Start by marking “The River Murders” as Want to Read:
The River Murders

The River Murders

(Mitchum #1-3)

Sometimes figuring out the truth means going to the point of no return. For Mitchum, returning is not important. Read 3 exciting thrillers from the world's #1 bestselling writer!

Published January 7th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The River Murders, please sign up.

Start your review of The River Murders
Tim
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half was better than the rest. The plot makes you wonder if you're dealing with a juvenile or a dim adult. 5 of 10 stars ...more
Matt
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshots
As I open this collection of three BookShots by James Patterson and James O. Born, I turned immediately to the third and most recent story. Having read the other two beforehand, I post my reviews of them below, as well as the new review for the final story. Enjoy the flashback and some new thoughts, if you please!

Hidden

James O. Born works alongside James Patterson in the first of this BookShot series that will have readers hooked and quite curious as they travel to upstate New York. Mitchum enjo
Laura Rash
Beware if you have read Bookshots previously published by these 2 authors bc two of the stories in this books were previously published. So I was left with a new book and only one story I hadn’t already read.
Suzanne
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, quick read. The book is broken up into three different stories based on the same main characters. The first two stories were better than the third with the first being the best. I like the characters and the plots but I wasn’t as into the third story as I was the first two. The first was a great story and the second almost as good. Overall, this is a good book to pick up for a day of reading.
Wanda Maynard
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full of danger! Full of adventure! THE RIVER MURDERS, by James Patterson, an awesome author, along with James O. Born, will keep you guessing, what will happen next? As this thril a minute novel takes off with suspense, and concealed perils, In HIDDEN, Mitchum is swept along into an investigation concerning a missing teen, which happens to be his cousin. While he is looking into the situation, yet alert to all the dangers, he stumbles upon an evil act involving the government. How will Mitchum w ...more
Torie Tiffany
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
I've enjoyed the entire catalog of James Patterson's books, including those co-authored with others, until now. This collection of stories seems to have been written by a middle school boy who failed English and is working out his teen angst on paper. The writing is atrocious and the story lines nonsensical. I have never just stopped reading a book before now, but by the time I got to the third story I just could not bear this assault to literature any longer. I shall remember never to attempt r ...more
Kay
Three novellas in one. They are entertaining enough, but not something I must read ASAP. This collection has the same protagonist, Mitchum, a Navy SEAL dropout now delivering newspaper and doing PI work on the side for friends and family.
Sherry Wessman
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
RIDICULOUS!

It's really hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote all those good Alex Cross, and nursery rhythms murders. It's almost laughable. Mitchum didn't "wash out" of the Navy Seals just " because he couldn't swim well". He also lacked intelligence, and common sense. As for an " investigator ", the same applies. The solutions fell right in front of him. "Investigating" meant beating the crap out of everyone he came across. A total waste of money. When will I ever learn? !
Deb
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Only 2 stars for this. The writing was very simplistic. Very choppy sentences. The stories seemed disjointed.
Sue
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
It's just ok....a little hokey and not very well researched. ...more
Helen
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who want a thrilling weekend or casual mystery
This is a set of three thrillers written by the two authors. The first book is a novella about a PI in New York, who suddenly finds lots of mysteries in his small town. The plot was interesting but the writing only medium. The next novella was quite good, and the third suspenseful but a bit passing the limits of reality. A good weekend read.
Donna Hines
A Navy seal dropout. More than a few men on the run or shall we say in 'hiding.' A young cousin MIA!
Well, if not for plenty of action I would be at a loss here on this one.
It started off ok with Mitchum's 14 yo cousin going missing and his brother 'Natty' being subjected to questioning as a 'shady drug dealer.'
If that wasn't enough we jump to Mitchum's current job as a PI investigating a few other cases.
While on the run you can say he decides to head out of the country to track down a suspect.
I
Feb 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
So relieved that I didn't pay money for this book and instead checked it out from the library.
There is no way this was written by James Patterson. The writing was so disjointed and childishly simple. Without the violence, it basically reads like a grammar school kids writing. The plot of these 3 connected short stories is so basic and pointless that it makes me wonder why I felt the need to finish.
The protagonist... Mitcham... is extremely unlikable. He prides himself as a non licensed private
Joyce
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Three stories about Mitchum who after being rejected from the seals
Becomes the towns unofficial private eye. In book one he must find his
missing teenage cousin. In book two he must clear his brother from a murder
Charge. In book three he goes after the people who have tried to hurt his
family. This time he goes to Afghanistan where he uncovers a plot to steel
plutonium. This is a fast read with the usual short chapters and plenty of
Action. Book one and two were books that had been written at an e
Tammy Adams
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I suppose this is the first three stories in a new series for Patterson. It was fine but nothing to get excited about. A little too “simple”, I feel. Also, Mitch runs around shooting people, beating them up, breaking and entering, etc and never has to answer for it. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Virginia Dumais
Shelves: 2020-popsugar
#Therivermurders - James Patterson & James O. Born
#Penguin
#Pasellabook

I was a huge Patterson fan for many years: his earlier Alex Cross novels remain some of the very best thrillers out there. I lost interest when his mass-production in collaboration with co-writers started, however. In later years I have heard about his Book Shots project: co-writing short (less than 150 pages) books to promote reading and literacy.

This book is not a novel in the true sense: it consists of 2 previously publishe
Paul Herbig
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the stories were good, but I enjoyed the 3rd one the most. It followed up on the 1st story perfectly. As a series, the 2nd story seemed out of place entirely because it was almost entirely unrelated to the other two.
GP.Reviews
Feb 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
This is a shining example of why they shouldn`t be allowed to stick James Pattersons name on a book he didn`t write, Writers have a style they have a way they form a paragraph and its easy to spot after the many many books written by James Patterson.

To the actual books... x3 as they are short novellas.

Hidden
The story sort of happened the lead up to the events was just sort of presented and then they were over. I`m used to richly flushed out characters and build up and all that good stuff which
Mark
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Three Patterson "Bookshots," sorry, I prefer novellas, of our small-town, unlicensed, Upper NY State paperboy/PI, Mitchum...Sort of a small town IQ, referring to Joe Ide's, unlicensed, go to guy, from urban Long Beach...the first deals with a missing cousin, which I've read, that crosses Mitchum with government contractors...the second, a drug dealers death that involves his brother...and the third, mysterious attacks on those close to Mitchum, that pits him again against those earlier contracto ...more
Mary
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have read every single James Patterson book and have been a fan for many years. If this was the first book I had ever read by him I would never read another. I appreciate that he gives new authors a chance but it is hard to believe he agreed to put his name on this. Two stars: one for the effort of writing it and one for James Patterson
Jill
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Wasn’t too crazy about this collection of short stories. James Patterson attempted to create a military action character. I think he failed. It was not that good. Everything was way too slow.
Paula Dembeck
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains three BOOKSHOTS. In the first “Hidden”, Mitchum unravels a government conspiracy, in the second “Malicious” he defends his brother against a charge of murder and in the third, “Malevolent” he defends his family against attacks by a man from his past. Having read and reviewed the first two as separately published BOOKSHOTS, I moved straight to the third story.

Mitchum is quickly losing his livelihood delivering newspapers and flyers as these days most people get them digitally u
Lainy
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages - 448

Publisher - Grand Central Publishing

Source - Bought

Blurb from Goodreads

Sometimes figuring out the truth means going to the point of no return. For Mitchum, returning isn't something he concerns himself with.

HIDDEN: After being rejected from the Navy SEALs, Mitchum becomes his small town's unofficial private eye. But his investigation skills are put to the test when he must find his missing teenage cousin--and uncovers a government conspiracy in the process
Dad
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A three story bookshots this opportunity gave insight into the principle character—a washout Navy Seal wannabe. By the end, I felt comfortable with Mitchum as a central character. This was an audio version for me and I was grateful for that—I would have been irritated if I had read it as it again seemed to take news stories and turn them into short stories rather than developed plots.
Becca
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy does Mitch know how to get into trouble. Not even being a true PI and he's into a middle of trouble that ends up almost costing himself and his family their lives. Several times over. But what's a good story without some drama and thrills. I hope there's going to be more from Mitch in the future ...more
Sarah _ A
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Patterson book. Different story line but same ending. Good easy read
Cris
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is book has all three Mitchum books combined. In the first story Mitchum returns from the NAVY to his small town, which he loves small town life! He is very content delivering papers and being the local unofficial town PI. Helping his town whenever he can. Until his niece goes missing. Then it becomes personal!! It makes it hard when your brother is one of the biggest drug dealers in the area!

In book two, Natty, the brother is charged with murder. Mitchum must prove his brother innocence o
Lynn Winkelmann
Liked the first 2 stories a lot.
Nora
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I read Patterson these days primarily because my students like his work....and they like it because it is short, simplistic, and generally full of action. This book has some of that.

The main character here seems to be a pretty nice guy. The story conforms to Patterson's formula with ridiculously short chapters, each ending with a page-turning, dramatic sentence. There are three stories here, loosely crafted and sort of connected (of course they feature the same protagonist, but there
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • The Summer Retreat (A Moonlight Harbor Novel Book 3)
  • Next Time...Forever
  • A Slice of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2)
  • The Backup Plan (The Charleston Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fifth Doctrine (The Guardian, #3)
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • Downsiders (Downsiders, #1)
  • Mending Fences
  • Three Down the Aisle (Rose Cottage Sisters, #1)
  • About That Man (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #1)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • 'Tis the Season Murder (Lucy Stone #12 & 20)
  • Rebellion & In From the Cold (Serena & Ian) (The MacGregors, #0.1, #0.2)
  • Whispers at Midnight
  • Home to Whiskey Creek (Whiskey Creek, #4)
  • Hello Again (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #2)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Mitchum (2 books)