Start by marking “The River Murders” as Want to Read:
The River Murders

The River Murders

(Mitchum #1-3)

Sometimes figuring out the truth means going to the point of no return. For Mitchum, returning is not important. Read 3 exciting thrillers from the world's #1 bestselling writer!

Published January 7th 2020 by Grand Central Publishing

Start your review of The River Murders
Matt
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshots
As I open this collection of three BookShots by James Patterson and James O. Born, I turned immediately to the third and most recent story. Having read the other two beforehand, I post my reviews of them below, as well as the new review for the final story. Enjoy the flashback and some new thoughts, if you please!

Hidden

James O. Born works alongside James Patterson in the first of this BookShot series that will have readers hooked and quite curious as they travel to upstate New York. Mitchum
Laura Rash
Beware if you have read Bookshots previously published by these 2 authors bc two of the stories in this books were previously published. So I was left with a new book and only one story I hadn’t already read.
Donna Hines
A Navy seal dropout. More than a few men on the run or shall we say in 'hiding.' A young cousin MIA!
Well, if not for plenty of action I would be at a loss here on this one.
It started off ok with Mitchum's 14 yo cousin going missing and his brother 'Natty' being subjected to questioning as a 'shady drug dealer.'
If that wasn't enough we jump to Mitchum's current job as a PI investigating a few other cases.
While on the run you can say he decides to head out of the country to track down a suspect.
I
Tammy Adams
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
I suppose this is the first three stories in a new series for Patterson. It was fine but nothing to get excited about. A little too “simple”, I feel. Also, Mitch runs around shooting people, beating them up, breaking and entering, etc and never has to answer for it. ...more
Deb
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Only 2 stars for this. The writing was very simplistic. Very choppy sentences. The stories seemed disjointed.
Jill
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Wasn’t too crazy about this collection of short stories. James Patterson attempted to create a military action character. I think he failed. It was not that good. Everything was way too slow.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
THE RIVER MURDERS is the perfect book with which to start the new year. It is comprised of three interconnected short novels --- “Hidden,” “Malicious” and “Malevolent” --- that feature an interesting and sympathetic character presented by James Patterson and James O. Born. Patterson, of course, is known throughout the world. Born is a former FDLA officer and a bestselling author, as well as an Emmy Award-winning screenwriter. Naturally, one would expect a great deal from such a collaboration. ...more
Random Male Reader
Feb 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
This is a shining example of why they shouldn`t be allowed to stick James Pattersons name on a book he didn`t write, Writers have a style they have a way they form a paragraph and its easy to spot after the many many books written by James Patterson.

To the actual books... x3 as they are short novellas.

Hidden
The story sort of happened the lead up to the events was just sort of presented and then they were over. I`m used to richly flushed out characters and build up and all that good stuff which
Mark Mindel
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Three books in one by the master craftsman and his co-writer Janes O. Born. All feature Mitchum, a 'sort of' private eye who left the Navy after he couldn't quite make it as a Seal. He passed all the tests with flying colors, except for swimming. He's home again in Marlboro, NY (just north of Newburgh) and the three stories concentrate on his brother Natty, a drug dealer, and his mom, a nurse. In Book One, "Hidden," Natty and Mitchum's cousin goes missing and in looking for her they discover a ...more
DiAnne
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This single volume contains the Mitchum series #1, #2, and #3. I needed to read the third in the series and I was not disappointed. Malevolent was an excellent addition to the Mitchum series!

HIDDEN: After being rejected from the Navy SEALs, Mitchum becomes his small town's unofficial private eye. But his investigation skills are put to the test when he must find his missing teenage cousin--and uncovers a government conspiracy in the process.
MALICIOUS: Mitchum is back. His brother's been charged
Loren
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Torie Tiffany
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it
I've enjoyed the entire catalog of James Patterson's books, including those co-authored with others, until now. This collection of stories seems to have been written by a middle school boy who failed English and is working out his teen angst on paper. The writing is atrocious and the story lines nonsensical. I have never just stopped reading a book before now, but by the time I got to the third story I just could not bear this assault to literature any longer. I shall remember never to attempt ...more
Val
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-novel
James Patterson introduces a new private eye in this compilation of three short novels. Mitchum is a Navy Seal drop-out (he couldn't pass the swim test) so he returns to his small New York Town to deliver the morning newspaper and help people solve their problems for a fee. In the first story, his young cousin goes missing and Mitchum searches the entire county and doesn't rest until she is found. In the second story, his drug dealing brother has been charged with murder. Mitchum has to find the ...more
Joyce
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Three stories about Mitchum who after being rejected from the seals
Becomes the towns unofficial private eye. In book one he must find his
missing teenage cousin. In book two he must clear his brother from a murder
Charge. In book three he goes after the people who have tried to hurt his
family. This time he goes to Afghanistan where he uncovers a plot to steel
plutonium. This is a fast read with the usual short chapters and plenty of
Action. Book one and two were books that had been written at an
Sherry Wessman
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
RIDICULOUS!

It's really hard to believe this is the same guy who wrote all those good Alex Cross, and nursery rhythms murders. It's almost laughable. Mitchum didn't "wash out" of the Navy Seals just " because he couldn't swim well". He also lacked intelligence, and common sense. As for an " investigator ", the same applies. The solutions fell right in front of him. "Investigating" meant beating the crap out of everyone he came across. A total waste of money. When will I ever learn? !
Christine D
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I thought this was a full length novel for Mitchum, but alas, it is just three bookshots (two of which were already previously published):
Hidden: decent action, but it ended very abruptly and had me saying "what, now?" with the big reveal at the end. the reveal was a little out of left field.
Malicious: this story was a little bit better, and I like the character Mitchum, but the plots of these bookshots still have not sold me on this being an exciting series.
Malevolent: This story ties back to
Mark
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Three Patterson "Bookshots," sorry, I prefer novellas, of our small-town, unlicensed, Upper NY State paperboy/PI, Mitchum...Sort of a small town IQ, referring to Joe Ide's, unlicensed, go to guy, from urban Long Beach...the first deals with a missing cousin, which I've read, that crosses Mitchum with government contractors...the second, a drug dealers death that involves his brother...and the third, mysterious attacks on those close to Mitchum, that pits him again against those earlier ...more
Christine Irvin
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is actually a collection of three short stories, each featuring form Navy SEALS wanna-be, Robert Mitchum. The stories are related as the story line in the second story follows some of the story line in the first story, as does the last one and the one before it. Because the stories are so closely related, I'm not sure why Patterson didn't just turn this into one longer novel and be done with it.
Lawrence Grey
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was actually three short stories (Hidden/Malicious/Malevolent) featuring one main character. The three stories were interesting and entertaining and the third one had part taking place in Afghanistan at bases that I was familiar with. With Patterson publishing so many books every year you have to wonder how much if any he actually writes? Of course free from the local public library.
Michelle
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Previously I've read the first two book shots in this book.So I only had Malevolent to read.It was a quicker read than I expected. After the situation in Malicious Mitchum is trying to make everything better esp. for his mom and brother. Along comes trouble and he had to try to fix what is wrong. Can he do it and still move ahead with life happily? Read on and find out.Such a violent situation for a man who is delivering papers for a living. Life certainly throws us curve balls.
Robin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is actually a compilation of three shorter books involving the character of Mitchum, two of which I've already read. I enjoy the character of a Navy Seal wanna-be, who washed out because of his inferior swimming skills. Part of what makes this series enjoyable for me is that it takes place near an area where I've worked and lived, Newburgh, NY.
Jodi
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: james-patterson
Too much in one book in terms of the 3 stories but not well developed stories.I did not like the way this book was set up and executed.

Mitchum goes into in one story finding his missing cousin. The next story is about his brother being charges with murder. The final story is about his loved ones becoming victims of carefully staged attacks.
Sue Gerlach
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I was a little surprised that The River Murders was actually 3 stories but having the same main characters in each - (should read book reviews before beginning). A fast paced collection of happenings in Robert Mitchum's life.: x- Navy, small town P. I., and newspaper delivery man. A quick, enjoyable novel.
T
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was not impressed with this collection of stories. All three are supposed to be built on each other similar to a mini trilogy. However, there were inconsistencies between the stories. The story line was disjointed and uninteresting. I rarely give less than three stars to a book but felt this one was well below average.
Mary
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
I have read every single James Patterson book and have been a fan for many years. If this was the first book I had ever read by him I would never read another. I appreciate that he gives new authors a chance but it is hard to believe he agreed to put his name on this. Two stars: one for the effort of writing it and one for James Patterson
audrey McCormick
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

Normally don't care much for books involving foreign affairs, however James Patterson never fails to keep my interest going. It was good, certainly not one of my favorites!
Melanie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had already read 2 of the 3 books in this.
Mitchum's family has become a target for revenge. He travels to Afghanistan to try to put a stop to it. But will his brother and his love interest get chummy while he's gone?
Monica
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really liked it. I liked the 3 stories in one book idea as well. Wasn't sure that I would, but I did. Mitchum is a great character and the stories flow nicely one into the next. If you're looking for a fast, light, entertaining read, I recommend this book.
melissa
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite's by Jame's so far! I really got lost in to the book! did not want it t end!
I hope there will be more to come cause it seem's like there could be more off this book!
I really loved this one!
Chelsea Kapaun
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
This was not my favorite James Patterson I have read. I am confused by the title because it seemingly does not relate to the story at all...kind of strange. He has written way better/more thrilling stories.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Treason (Stone Barrington, #52)
  • Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • Moral Compass
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • The Summer Retreat (Moonlight Harbor, #3)
  • Next Time...Forever
  • A Slice of Heaven (The Sweet Magnolias #2)
  • The Backup Plan (The Charleston Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fifth Doctrine (The Guardian #3)
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • Downsiders (Downsiders, #1)
  • Mending Fences
  • Three Down the Aisle (Rose Cottage Sisters, #1)
  • About That Man (The Trinity Harbor Trilogy, #1)
  • The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • 'Tis the Season Murder (Lucy Stone #12 & 20)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books

Mitchum (2 books)