Start by marking “Say Her Name” as Want to Read:

Say Her Name

Inspired by the #SayHerName campaign launched by the African American Policy Forum, these poems pay tribute to victims of police brutality as well as the activists insisting that Black Lives Matter. Elliott engages poets from the past two centuries to create a chorus of voices celebrating the creativity, resilience, and courage of Black women and girls.

This collection feat
Published January 14th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Say Her Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say Her Name

Start your review of Say Her Name
Laurie Anderson
In Zetta's words, this book is "black girl magic meets Black Lives Matter." Powerful poetry that acknowledges the poets of earlier generations in a way that is both accessible and enlightening. Perfect for classrooms and next to your cozy chair. ...more
Olivia-Savannah
This was a collection of black feminist and activist poetry. Some of the poems I liked more than others. Overal, I really liked the idea of the collection and how rejuvenating and energetic it was. It wasn't quite my style of poetry - it is better suited to fans of Rupi Kaur and Atticus. But some of them did strike a match in my heart. For some of them I think the rhythm was a tiny bit off and oculd have been great with some fine tuning, but all in all the subject matter of these poems is what s ...more
My_Strange_Reading
This beautifully cultivated and curated book of poems is a masterpiece of empowerment and passion. Elliot takes the reader on a journey that celebrates the beauty and magic of being a black woman while also addressing the heartbreaking and enraging realities that women of color must face daily. Her words are powerful, and her message is clear: We must elevate black voices and stories, we must celebrate diversity and we must fight for justice.

Favorite Poems:
Black Girl Miracle
Black Lives Matter
Don
Romie
this small poetry collection made me happy, sad, and angry at the same time. it touched me in a way only poetry does. not only does it talk about police brutality against Black people, but it also deals with the violence queer Black women experience on a daily basis.
I loved that the author took the time at the end to explain all the different references she used in her poems, it made some of them even more impactful!
Kate (GirlReading)
A powerful, moving and important poetry collection with a wonderfully narrated audiobook.
Trisha
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, poetry
BLACK LIVES MATTER!

If you are part of the Poetry Police, this collection of poems is not for you. Being a lover of traditional poetry myself, I’m still in the early stages of understanding and appreciating this kind of visual poetry, but I have never policed or shunned any kind of writing and firmly believe that all types of poetic forms are beautiful as long as the thought or the idea is conveyed to the reader.

Say Her Name is about the struggle to live in a society distributed on the basis of s
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)

This is a powerful and accesible poetry collection about black girl magic. It does an amazing job of incoporating both current events and the works of an earlier generation of black poets.

At the end of the book the author provides information about the inspiration for specific poems and the references that are included and that makes this collection even more fascinating.
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Beautiful Black feminist poetry. Read it. The illustrations are flawless and the poems are amazing.
Moriah
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on audiobook. Although the poems do not have to do with me, these are extremely good and highly recommend reading or listening to them!
BookishStitcher
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this little book of powerful poems and gorgeous illustrations!
Hannah
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.75
Loved this! The poems were beautiful and important and the illustrations were stunning!
Rich in Color
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Review copy - Digital ARC via Netgalley and purchased final copy

Zetta Elliott truly created magical poetry in this powerful collection. The poem “I Make Magic” explains,

but I
make magic
with the words
in my mind
I weave syllables
into silver

and she’s not wrong. These poems are not just sitting on the page. They demand engagement. They ask readers to feel something, to acknowledge truths, to take care of themselves, to celebrate, and to remember the names of those who are gone. Readers would be hard-p
Amy Layton
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic, beautiful, wonderful compilation of poems. I read nearly all of these out loud–and they deserved to be. These poems are meant to be spoken, to be heard. Each poem gave me nonstop chills, and I wish I could share these with absolutely everyone. They need to be shared. I want to claim these poems, but I know they aren’t for me. But please, everyone, read them. Share them.

Elliott employs different styles of poetry, and it makes me wonder if it’s talent that Elliott has, or if
Grace W
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
(c/p from my review on TheStoryGraph) A good first book of poetry. It had moments that left me sitting there really thinking about what I read. But some of the poems just didn't work for me. A little too short, a little too telling instead of showing. Otherwise a totally amazing collection. Still well worth the read. The trigger warnings for this book are more or less exactly what you'd expect (racism, sexism, including mentions of rape and sexual assault) ...more
Tonya
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful book of poetry through and through. The cover art and illustrations are just as amazing. Zeta Elliott’s words are ones that will stay with me. I highly recommend reading this.
Kris Patrick
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would read each poem and then reread and then reread it again. Say Her Name is that good! I’m not sure the publisher could have found a more perfect artist. I was disappointed to see that Loveis Wise hasn’t illustrated other books but happy at the same time to know that Say Her Name is extra special to showcase her work.
Krista Regester

stay woke.
Jule ☀
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2020-releases
tw violence, sexual assault, racism
Alyssa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of haikus written for us by us is an amazing way to celebrate black girl magic. This book showcases the diversity of what it means to be a black woman. It features classics like Audre Lorde’s “A Woman Speaks” and Lucille Clifton’s “Won’t You Celebrate with Me” as well as modern haikus featuring topics that affect black women today.

When I read this book I am reminded of the line in F.U.B.U. by Solange that reads, “Don't feel bad if you can't sing along, just be glad you got the w
Sacha
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC! Review to post in January...!

Updated on 1/14/20:

This is a fantastic collection of poems, and I love the variety of personas, characters, subjects, inter-textual aspects, themes, and global considerations. The attention to tone and placement is masterful, and the voices are authentic, developed, and individualized.

I will absolutely be teaching these works in the Young Adult section of my Children's Literature course.

The notes section will be
Julie
This was such a gorgeous collection, the writing and the art. I loved every page.
Kristin
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, powerful, important poetry for today's youth!
Black Girl Magic
Black Lives Matter
We Shall Overcome
Hands Up
Rebel
Shari
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I greedily gobbled this up in a single sitting. I know that I am going to come back tomorrow and read it again.
Nikki's Fiction Place
#SayHerName is such an important collection of poems related to black women of today. Black women are the most copied race/ group of people yet the most disrespected. Black women have and is doing a lot and accomplishing more than ever but it doesn't end there.

So many black women are getting mistreated and killed and no one (white media) doesn't talk about it. The image that is out on TV about black women are not true, we are well versed and cultured but that will never be showcased on white med
Danielle Grise
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous book of strength, resilience, and hope. These poems are poignant - they speak of unbearable pain and of a spirit that continues to rise up and be heard. They are encouraging - despite unspeakable tragedy after tragedy, the spirit wants to rise and live and love. Elliott clearly depicts that women of color can look to their ancestors and each other to keep going. I cannot begin to fathom the depths of the pain women of color bear, and I realize anew how much I take for granted in ...more
Debb Adams
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful. I made a list of womyn to give this book to as soon as possible. Want to order multiple copies for my classroom. It makes me want to write. To let my students write. To write and share and speak and perform our truths!
Emily
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection of poetry and I imagine I'll be returning to it over and over this semester to use individual poems as connecting and mentor texts as well as "write-froms." The artwork is gorgeous (it's just a beautiful book to look at) and I really appreciated the author notes which attend to history, current events, social movements, literary movements, language and craft.

Alex (Pucksandpaperbacks)
TW/CW: racism, police brutality, stabbing, murder

I really enjoyed this poetry collection focused on Black girl magic, oppression, and police brutality. The poems pulled at my heartstrings. This is a perfect coffee table book and I'd recommend it!

We will not apologize for our rage
You earned every drop- Tsunami

No problem’s solved until it’s faced,
But we have no time left to waste. - Say Her Name
Jon
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A truly outstanding collection of timely and crucial poems for youth. I’ve bookmarked some to use as mentor texts and for appreciation. Includes notes that explain what inspire many of the poems and the various shoutouts.
Sierra
The words! The illustrations! Also, the references Elliott weaves into poems. I was familiar with some and learned about others.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Pumpkinheads
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • The Doll Factory
  • Sheets (Sheets, #1)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • Concrete Kids
  • Full Throttle
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Punching the Air
  • Internment
  • Flamer
  • Birthday
  • Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice
I’m a Black feminist writer of poetry, plays, essays, novels, and stories for children. I was born and raised in Canada, but have lived in the US for 20 years. I earned my PhD in American Studies from NYU in 2003; I have taught at Ohio University, Louisiana State University, Mount Holyoke College, Hunter College, Bard High School Early College, and Borough of Manhattan Community College. My poetry ...more