Start by marking “This Book Is Anti-Racist: 20 Lessons on How to Wake Up, Take Action, and Do the Work” as Want to Read:

Who are you?
What is your identity?
What is racism?
How do you choose your own path?
How do you stand in solidarity?
How can you hold yourself accountable?

Learn about identities, true histories, and anti-racism work in 20 carefully laid out chapters. Written by anti-bias, anti-racist, educator and activist, Tiffany Jewell, and illustrated by French illustrator Aurélia Dur
Published January 7th 2020 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about This Book Is Anti-Racist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Book Is Anti-Racist

Start your review of This Book Is Anti-Racist: 20 Lessons on How to Wake Up, Take Action, and Do the Work
The Artisan Geek
1/7/20
What an excellent read! This is targeted at children/young adults, but it definitely is for everyone. It's a great place to start your journey of being anti-racist -- it's also just a good book if you want to make sure that you have all of the basics down. Strong points here are definitely its accessibility and dare I say its aesthetic :)

30/6/20
I got this book because I thought it looked both very accessible and helpful :)

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website |
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

What a great classroom resource! THIS BOOK IS ANTI-RACIST is part workbook and part history book and part instructional guide. Even though it's pretty short, TBIAR talks about everything from privilege to institutional racism to how you can go about calling out problematic behavior and whether it should be public or private (there's a series of questions you should ask yourself).

I really liked the illustrations from Aurelia Durand: they'
Chyann
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
@Educators, GET THIS BOOK. Pass it around your classroom, the teacher's lounge, and your community. Read it, share it and share it again!
PattyMacDotComma
“Someone described racism to me as the smog we breathe. It is all around us; racism is everywhere.”

This is a smart, eye-catching book for anyone, really. It’s aimed at teens and young people, but it’s just as useful and informative for adults who want to know how to make a difference, whether it’s in their own lives as the targets of racism or as the unwitting perpetrators of it.

I was recently helping someone with a psychology paper that included a discussion of the damage caused by “subtle ra
Never Without a Book
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick and to the point. A very informative read.
Briar's Reviews
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a book that not only informs but brings to light some very important topics, Tiffany Jewell's book is where it's at.

This book goes over racism, personal growth, identity, and general lessons on how to be a good person. It's the kind of positive book I needed when I was younger and I'm sure people today need to read. We're all different and differences can make us stronger. Why destroy others for their differences?

I could easily see classrooms and educational groups pickin
Sarah Krajewski
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I loved everything about this book! The historical content, lessons, activities, terms and definitions, and the personal connections the author made to her own life. I realized just how much my schooling was whitewashed, and I think my students will too.
Audrey
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a far bigger education than I expected and than I realized I needed. I have always thought of myself as not being racist but by reading this book and understanding the difference between not being racist and actively being anti-racist I have a wholly changed perspective.

"When you know better, do better."
Maya Angelou

I believe this book is targeted towards young adult readers, but I would encourage adults to read this book as well. And if you have kids...read it to them or give it to
Jamila
This book should be required reading and used as a textbook for students in grades 6-12. Jewell uses clear language, personal stories, self-reflection prompts, historical snapshots and accessible action steps to teach and inspire young people to be actively anti-racist in their daily lives.

The illustrations are vibrant also!

I also recommend this for adults who are parents, caregivers, educators or who serve youth in other roles — those adults in search of an accessible and succinct introduction
David
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
An important and informative guide to overcoming racial differences and inequality. The spelling of the word “folx” was annoying, though.
Dawn Ferencz
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book blends personal experiences with historical references and uses data, brightly illustrated infographics, suggested activities, and recommendations for working in solidarity against racism to serve as a call to action for all interested co-conspirators. This is a must-have purchase for middle and high school classroom and school libraries.
Kara
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, race
"Someone described racism to me as the smog we breathe. It is all around us; racism is everywhere. Our lives are polluted with racism and it harms us all. The more we are aware of this smog of racism, the better equipped we can become to combat this toxic way of being."
Manasa
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Between the adamant prose and joyful artwork, this book is required reading for adults and kids alike!

The focus of each chapter follows a natural progression from personal identity to collective awareness to transformative action; each chapter also offers reflective writing exercises to relate the material back to the reader’s own life.

What I appreciate most about Jewell’s words is how she manages to be so clear-eyed and concise without dumbing down any of these topics for young readers. No, o
Brittany Viklund
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love how this book presents a balance of straightforward information (quick but critical glimpses of history & systems) with action items & work-book style reflection prompts. This book is great for any age & is also a wonderful tool for parents/educators to engage in conversations & actions around racism & identity. I plan to revisit this book over & over again as a personal tool for doing anti-racist work & as a parenting guide. ...more
Amy
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very quick read. Gets straight to the point. Everyone should read this book. Pass it around others. We all need to learn!
Amanda
Nov 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book is definitely aimed towards teens and tweens so if you're looking for in-depth information, this might not be the resource for you. That being said, this book does offer tidbits and statistics about race that aren't common knowledge to many. I learned about the Grenfell tower fire and the Windrush generation in the U.K., for instance. I also appreciated the guide in the back with suggestions as to what the average citizen can do to be actively anti-racist.
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A beautiful book, bright and creatively illustrated with the most important message. I believe this book would be suitable for not only school age (teenagers) but older as it is so well done. Presented well, easily understood, written in plain English and each chapter has different activities. It has 20 lessons for anti-racism teaching about privilege, inclusion, conscious and unconscious choices. I recommend this book for everyone. A truly beautiful and much needed book.

Thanks to netgalley and
Steff Pasciuti
| Read on Reader Fox Blog |

Like many, I'm sure, there have been numerous occasions in my life in which I have found myself feeling disheartened about change. I've been in moments where I was unsure what I could possibly do to fix the horrible things I saw in the world, moments where I felt like everything I tried was useless. I guarantee at some point or another we all end up in that space. The thing I love about This Book is Anti-Racist by Tiffany Jewell and illustrated by Aurélia Durand i
Jessica
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although this book was written for a teen/young adult audience, as a 40-something white woman I got a lot out of it. I learned some factual information that I didn't know before, and I am glad the author used examples from around the world to show how racism permeates across boundaries and isn't just an issue in the US. In showing this issue as a global one then utilizing the term "Folx of the Global Majority", the author helps to change the mindset that BIPoC are 'minority', because in a global ...more
Callum McLaughlin
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I sincerely hope this is stocked in every school library across the UK and US, but though it is indeed aimed predominantly at a YA audience, there is still so much that adult readers like myself can take from it. Every point discussed is applicable and educational no matter your age, and I was pleasantly surprised by how wide the book’s scope was, especially when considering its relative brevity and the complexity of the issue it’s addressing.

Jewell writes with clarity, compassion and warmth, ar
Arnaud
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-history
Highly recommended to young adults and adults alike

This is such a well written book, I don't know where to start :-) As a white male, I can safely say I learned a few things and most importantly got a seriously well documented scaffold to build conversations with my kiddo.
The book covers a lot of topics, but in short enough chapters that it allows anyone to either take note, focus on each activities at the end of the chapters, or switch back and forth to re-read the content. I love the fact tha
Ms. Ballister
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book for students/teachers/humans. Will definitely use this in class next semester. I appreciate the activities and journaling component, and the illustrations! I would supplement Chapter 5 on institutional racism with more examples and articles. Here is a quote from the book, toward the end, "Your awareness of yourself, your privilege and power continues to grow. Your understanding of how racism came to be such an integral part of our global and local societies continues to expand. You ar ...more
vanessa
Concise, smart, and engaging. The best part about this book are the activities/prompts at the end of most of the 20 lessons. It makes this book a great teaching tool and a way for readers to look inward. I filled 10 pages journaling. I loved the illustrations and the way this is structured, it makes it digestible for young people but also adults. Definitely recommend!
Jaimie
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, 4-stars
This reminds me so much of the how to be a pre-teen girl books released by American Girl when I was a kid (in tone and writing style if not in subject). This is a perfect intro to anti-racism for the 12-14 age range, broken into simple, easily digestible chunks and featuring gorgeous, colorful illustrations and activities that will be perfect for classroom or youth group use.
Natalie Park
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book breaks down what it means to be anti-racist and is a wonderful primer for YA and adults as well. There are-activities at the end each chapter that provide thought provoking ways to cement the ideas and the use of imagery and quotations also make the learning more layered and meaningful. Highly recommended!
Renata
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This would be a great book for a middle school-ish class/club/youth group to work through together. It's very engaging and informative but broken up into bite-sized chunks, and it has a lot of built in reflective activities. (It could also be good for a teacher to read and repurpose some of the activities.)
Kate R
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, children-s
This belongs on everyone’s bookshelf! It’s a great opportunity to learn and reflect on these topics. Even I, as an adult, learned a few new things and found some things to work on. It should definitely be on every older child’s reading list. It’s simple, easy to understand. Great definitions throughout. There are vibrant pictures and colors on every page. I loved that there were exercises throughout the book for you to answer as well. This was incredibly well done. Highly recommend to all!

* ARC
Brittney
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. This has clear definitions, effective activities in each chapter, so many aspects of racism. Most importantly it provides tools to see racism and then make personal and systemic change.
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want
"This is the book I wish I’d had when I was younger. And it’s the book I will share with my own children. It contains information I never learned when I was younger and you will probably not be taught in school. I wrote these words for you while carrying a heavy heart. It aches for Emmett Till, Tamir Rice, Korryn Gaines, Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Sandra Bland, Bobby Hutton, Antwon Rose Jr., Stephon Clark, Rekia Boyd, Stephen Lawrence, Charleena Lyles, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, Aiyana S ...more
Kathy Mathey
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
"We grow from our discomfort." Yep, this about sums up how I felt after reading this.

• Mooncakes
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • Our Stop
  • Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • How to Save the World For Free
  • The Book of Ichigo Ichie: The Art of Making the Most of Every Moment, the Japanese Way
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Luca's Bridge/El Puente de Luca
  • The Yellow Suitcase
  • The Little Fir Tree: From an original story by Hans Christian Andersen
  • Hidden Pictures at the Zoo: 45 Seek and Find Puzzles to Solve
  • This Is What Happy Looks Like (This is What Happy Looks Like, #1)
  • The Other Wife
  • All Cats Are Introverts
  • Keep Her Safe
  • Dead Popular
  • Dead Astronauts (Borne, #2)