Start by marking “Brain Wash: Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking, Deeper Relationships, and Lasting Happiness” as Want to Read:

Dr. David Perlmutter, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Grain Brain, and Dr. Austin Perlmutter, his son, explore how modern culture threatens to rewire our brains and damage our health, offering a practical plan for healing.

Contemporary life provides us with infinite opportunities, along with endless temptations. We can eat whatever we want, whenever we want. We can
Published January 14th 2020 by Little, Brown Spark

To ask other readers questions about Brain Wash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Wash

Start your review of Brain Wash: Detox Your Mind for Clearer Thinking, Deeper Relationships, and Lasting Happiness
Alix
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
While the book puts forward an interesting hypothesis, and is well laid out (and hypnotically read in the audiobook version), it should be taken with a big ol' handful of salt.

David Perlmutter is an author whose work has been heavily criticised by those in the medical field. A good summary of his credentials (or lack thereof) can be found here: https://www.thecut.com/2015/06/proble...
(As someone who has studied Archaeology/Ancient History, I take particular umbradge with claim that agriculture
Benny Sperling
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Less “new” information than I expected. Feels like they forced a book out just to stay notable
Jonathan Jacobs
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly informative look at how modern living has impacted our brain, relationships, happiness, and so much more. Few books on this subject matter have tackled this subject from this position of expertise before, and this book has been a long time coming. An important read.
Kimmie
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This book kind of felt that it was written as a guide for an alien coming to earth and figuring out how to blend in. The chapters devoted to neurology were interesting, however the tips were so incredibly generic it was almost comical. Go outside, eat a healthy meal with a friend, be mindful, get enough sleep, limit screen time... it was almost insulting. Anyone picking this book up to read would certainly already know these tips, they're intuitive. Overall, would only recommend the first half ...more
Muene Ngo
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s a great book, but I found as a weak upgrade of his previous book - The Brain Maker. Hence, I recommend readers to read The Brain Maker instead.
Jenny GB
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaway
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you!

Brain Wash details the author's theory of disconnection syndrome and their plan to combat it. First, the authors detail all the ways in which we're distracted, overtired, and generally unhealthy. This is followed by some general ways to combat these problems by enjoying nature, eating better, sleeping better, exercising, and meditating. Finally, there is a ten-day plan where each day you implement one of the ways listed
Lorena
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doctors David and Austin Perlmutter claim to have “found a powerful way to reframe and reclaim our potential for exceptional physical and mental health.” The introduction opens with some very inspirational descriptions of the optimal state of wellness that they believe is possible for each of us.

The first part of the book provides some simple explanation of how the brain works and describes the problems that are keeping us from this optimal state of health, what the authors refer to as “
Gavin Griffith
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really fantastic book. Mostly basic information if you already started to look for a different lifestyle, but backed up by numerous medical journals and trials and comes with an easy 10 day " brain wash" program and lots and lots of awesome recipes.
Katherine Hardee
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enlightening and Informative book with loads of current and relevant research about the effects of technology and other vices on our brain. Best of all, the MD authors provide a practical 10 day brain detox with recommendations for exercise, being in nature, social interaction and limited exposure to screens for brain health and longevity. It won't be easy to do everything on the detox plan all the time but it makes me more aware of this global crisis and how to make small changes for big and ...more
Luis
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, self-help
My wife and I laid eyes on this book while walking through a bookstore and I knew we had to read it. We had been discussing changing mindsets and cleaner living and Brain Wash lays out a plan for accomplishing that and reasons why it is important. It is a pretty fast read as a good deal of the book are recipes for accomplishing the health eating aspect of this book. The book itself is pretty good and lays out many of the mistakes we as humans are making in our daily habits and ways we can fix ...more
Cristie Underwood
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The author explored how our current society of instant gratification has caused us to have more mental health issues, such as anxiety and also caused physical health issues, such as being overweight. Clicking a button and having whatever you want to eat delivered to your door seems to be perfection, but the author delves into how harmful this is in the long run. This was a very interesting book.
Sharon
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I think the authors do a comprehensive job highlighting various parts of our life that we can improve to improve our health and brain function. Better sleep, diet, mindfulness and spending more time in nature have been shown to improve overall health and well-being. Although they recommend a plant-based diet I feel that there is too much emphasis on animal protein in the diet plan.
Tu
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
David Perlmutter could be onto a better way of life - a way of healing many things your body has been dealing with. This book was very informative and helpful to me in understanding a better way to eat and clear toxins. The book is a bit over the top but, if you are ill and want to change your life - here you go.
Inese Avota
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book from one of my favourite medical doctor writers. Though mostly aimed for an audience new to the idea of optimising mental health and wellbeing. Didn't learn anything groundbreaking new per so, but was a great reminder in the importance of holistic brain-care.
Deborah
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I gave it a rating of three because it has a lot of the same information I already know: the importance of sleep, exercise, meditation, connections and a healthy diet. The focus is, as the tittle suggests, on how all of these factors impact your brain. Well presented and affirming.
Lily
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good insight

Nice blend of the science behind how your brain works and doesn’t work, the impact of marketing and ads, and actionable steps for improvement. Little scattered, but interesting.
John
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-versions
Everything in this book about better brain health is T-R-U-E. It's true when you READ about it, and it's truer when you BE about it.
timothy sprague
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Book

I think it's a 5 star because it is relevant and up-to-date with the reality of our modern-day issues and concerns. Great insight.
Don
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Good read to break bad habits and end distractions.
Janet Mary Cobb
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quick, easy read. Balanced presentation of practical steps to a healthier lifestyle, rooted in neuroscience.
Weston Gardner
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great stuff from Dr. Perlmutter! Extends beyond food to really help you conquer bad habits and live a more fulfilling life.
Tom Kushner

• The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
  • Carmilla
  • The Last Letter from Your Lover
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • The Wives
  • Eating for Pregnancy: Your Essential Month-by-Month Nutrition Guide and Cookbook
  • Frogcatchers
  • Stargirl (Stargirl, #1)
  • Devious (New Orleans, #7)
  • The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Pathless Journey: Thoughts on the Nature and Development of Consciousness and Self-Awareness (#1)
  • Shout
Dr. Perlmutter is a Board-Certified Neurologist and four-time New York Times bestselling author. He serves on the Board of Directors and is a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition.

Dr. Perlmutter received his M.D. degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine where he was awarded the Leonard G. Rowntree Research Award. He serves as a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of