Start by marking “Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)” as Want to Read:
Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)

Loveboat, Taipei

(Loveboat, Taipei #1)

Perfect for fans of Jenny Han and Sarah Dessen, and praised as “an intense rush of rebellion and romance” by #1 New York Times bestselling author Stephanie Garber, this romantic and layered Own Voices debut from Abigail Hing Wen is a dazzling, fun-filled romp.

“Our cousins have done this program,” Sophie whispers. “Best kept secret. Zero supervision.

And just like that,
Published January 7th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Loveboat, Taipei, please sign up.
Leo As a Taiwanese, I think the description of Taipei is really not that accurate (to my disappointment). Some parts and details are okay, but there're so…moreAs a Taiwanese, I think the description of Taipei is really not that accurate (to my disappointment). Some parts and details are okay, but there're so many things that're just outdated, weird or simply wrong. As for Loveboat, according to author's website, it's an actual program (that she attended).(less)
Shayna--Amen2Rain Nevermind Abi answered the question. Thank you, Abi!!! <33

Start your review of Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was an excellent debut! I loved every bit of it. It's such an addictive read full of well built up characters & a plot full of surprises. There was so much drama going down and that's honestly what kept me reading. There was a great display of character growth with each of the characters and all the complicated relationships. I loved the group of characters that we spend time with & seeing how they all had come into their own by the end of the book. I can't say this book is perfect ...more
Melanie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Lily ☁️
I loved this so much. This really is a love letter to belonging and seeing all your different parts, and the parts you came from, and exploring those parts and connecting deeper to your culture. This is also a story very much about what it means to be asian american and how sometimes those two parts can make you feel not enough for either half. This was beautiful, and the story was so good, the romance (and love triangle) was everything, and I feel so honored to have read this. <3

Youtube |
Warda
Jan 26, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I’m glad this is now over.
In reality, I should’ve DNF’d this book. I knew it wasn’t going to be for me, but I thought the story would’ve developed more substance as it went on. But it didn’t.

It felt so lacklustre overall, even though I appreciated what this book was trying to do.

I related to Ever in a way. The immigrant story, the guilt, your parents, the expectations they place on you, identity, the disconnect etc. All of us who come from an ethnic background have experienced this in
MischaS_
Feb 12, 2020 marked it as not-sure-if-i-ll-read-it  ·  review of another edition
So, I am seriously torn!

This book does not sound like the type of book I usually enjoy but then it takes place in Taipei! Taiwan is one of the best places I've ever visited. And I'm a bit considering reading this book just because of Taiwan but then I worry a bit that I won't like it because of the topic... And I don't know what to do!
monica kim
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
“I would die for my family if I needed to. I would emigrate to a foreign country and give up dancing to unwrap blood-soaked bandages every hour of every day if it meant food and shelter for my family. But because of them, I don’t have to.”

this book hit me hard.
Alexa
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loveboat, Taipei is like Crazy Rich Asians meets American Panda, but is also very much a contemporary YA that stands all on its own. Ever Wong’s summer plans are completely disrupted when her parents send her off to Taipei to attend Chien Tan, an educational program meant to help Ever with her Mandarin skills and appreciation of her culture. But what Ever discovers is that the program is affectionately known as Loveboat, a summer-long party where adults turn a blind eye and teens have the ...more
Kayla Brunson
I really wanted this to be as beautiful as that cover, but I was sadly disappointed. I seriously felt like I was maybe too old for this and most of the scenarios that take place in this book.

I was all for our main character Ever for about 40% of the book. From there I went from being hesitant about what her character would do to straight up disliking her. That’s right, I don’t like our main character. She does a few things that rub me the wrong way and I have no shame saying that I wanted to
Lily ☁️
Jul 08, 2019 marked it as 2020-pub
Shelves: asian-rep, poc-author
If this book doesn’t end up being my favorite read of 2020, I shall perish.

But in all honesty, this is the rep I’ve been waiting for my entire life?? Someone pinch me.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr |Bloglovin’
Nursebookie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen

I was beyond excited to be one of the first chosen to read this ARC. I have been waiting for something like this to be written, specifically about the young adult Taiwanese American experience - not just about the Chinese or Asian experience growing up in America, but as a Taiwanese specifically and to have it written ever so accurately by someone who understood, is pretty special.

College bound Ever Wong was sent to Taiwan the summer before entering college
Kelsea
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to know where to start with this review - I usually have the hardest time reviewing books I love (knowing I'll never do them full justice), but I'm going to try my best. Because I need to convince EVERYONE to read this book! Yes, that means you.

I'm going to go with a totally cliche line, but it's so so true. This book made me feel seen. Growing up, I never thought about the lack of Chinese American characters in books... until I read my first Amy Tan novel. And still, every time I read
✨ A ✨
This. This is the content we need.

ARC provided by publisher via edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Yna the Mood Reader
"My parents sent me to discover my heritage, but in the process, I’m also finding parts of myself, even if that self isn’t who they want me to be."

Series: Yes, according to Goodreads.
Genre: YA Contemporary
POV: First
Cliffhanger: No

Content Warnings: Love square/quadrangle. Asian stereotyping. Racism. Graphic description of injuries. Leaked nude photos. Mentions of depression & self-harm. Sexual content.

Read if: you love Crazy Rich Asians and/or American Panda.

Let me start this
Jen Ryland
Super cute - loved the setting, the themes of family, friendship, and following your dreams.
The romance situation is messy so if that is an issue for you, be warned. But this was really fun!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Let's be friends on Bookstagram!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!
caitlin ✶
And as I lunge and whirl my bo staff, dancing to the ancient drum beats, I feel all the parts of myself coming together: glad that a part of me is Chinese, a part of me American, and all of me is simply me.

Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen is one of my most anticipated 2020 releases. From its absolutely riveting cover, to its own voices Asian representation, there was no way I wasn't gonna read it.

A big reason why I wanted to read Loveboat, Taipei so much was because it centers on

Lance
"I would die for my family if I needed to. I would emigrate to a foreign country and give up dancing to unwrap blood-soaked bandages every hour of every day if it meant food and shelter for my family. But because of them, I don’t have to."

"I never talk to my parents about the books I read or the music I love or the dances in my head. I can't trust them not to take what bit of soul I offer them and not throw it away into a dumpster."

"And as I lunge and whirl my bo staff, dancing to the ancient
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
I wanted to love this so much, but unfortunately I found the story so disjointed and rushed it was a struggle for me to get through it. While Ever's passion for dance was powerful and I really enjoyed her exploration of her Chinese American heritage and the pressures of family responsibility, the story did nothing to hold my attention. I thought the characters were kind of all over the place without satisfying growth and there were quite a few heavier topics that were mostly glossed over. ...more
The Nerd Daily
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Tracy Truffles

A concept in books that I personally adore and think a lot of authors should incorporate more into their novels are important themes that can create change in the real world for readers. Topics that are important to communicate and talk about to the young adult audience whether they can directly relate to it or not, and Loveboat, Taipei definitely came through with some of those themes.

We are introduced to Ever Wong, this young,
Fanna
January 7, 2020

Loveboat, Taipei is a well put together mix of Asian-American representation and young adult themes. It uses tropes from its genre but doesn't let it be a cliche: a teenage moving far from her parents, finding new friendships, a love triangle and coming of age. A great YA contemporary romance that can effectively tug at the reader's heartstrings and be swoon-worthy at bits.

Sum it up in points!

- Asian-American representation
- overseas summer school program
- parental pressures,
Drewthereader20
For a debut novel this was really good. A bit to long for a contemporary but I loved our cast in here. So happy that I picked this book up!
Rating: 3.5/5
Sara
ARC received in exchange for an honest review

Loveboat, Taipei is a story about discovery - finding out who you are when you’re defined by a culture you don’t understand. And it’s also about escaping the suffocating pressures placed on you from well meaning, but overbearing parents. Ever is one such girl. Forced to give up her dreams of studying dancing, when her parents discover her wearing a leotard and practicing dance instead of studying for med school, they send her to ‘discover her
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
FOR FANS OF CRAZY RICH ASIANS YOU SAY?

#sold
Anya
Dnf at 50%

Yeah... I’m just really not into the love triangle and all the tropes.

Also, I thought it was weird that BOTH of her love interests had girlfriends? (One of them being her friends boyfriend)
Jenny
Jan 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Isabella
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Actual rating:

Bookphenomena (Micky)
3.5 - 4 stars

LOVEBOAT, TAIPEI had a narrative voice that just shouted ‘give me more’ vibes and I enjoyed the reading experience. I’ve heard this book heralded as a more mature & Taiwanese ‘To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before’ and it did give me some of those vibes at times. This is a more mature YA from a sexual perspective but the characters weren’t always mature in their decisions and actions.

This book brought an enjoyable coupling of American-Asian and authentic Taiwan culture as the
Tiffany Chiang
FULL REVIEW

When I first heard the plot and storyline for Loveboat, Taipei, my heart immediately grew 10x as this was the representation I had always been dreaming of my entire life.

After flying through the pages in less than a day, I’m so happy to say that Abigail Hing Wen’s story not only met my expectations, but she went above and beyond, crafting a plotline that kept me continuously on my toes and yearning for more. From the heart-skipping romance to moments of self-discovery, this book was
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Let’s Share Culture as we go ‘Teens Gone Wild’ on Loveboat, Taipei

Taiwan isn’t written about a lot in young adult fiction, but is a place and culture that I’d love to learn more about. As a part of China Taiwan is and isn’t Chinese. It has a melting pot feel that nicely bridges Chinese and American cultures. Loveboat, Taipei gives us a glimpse into what it means to be an Asian American teenager getting back to their Taiwanese roots.

Did Loveboat, Taipei get too crazy for this Fangirl to handle?

I’
Simone

It's Lunar New Year and some folks on the Internet's put together a wonderful little readathon featuring Asian authors for the occasion. Of course I wanted to participate because I love my friends and I love reading Asian authors. The book I chose for my readathon was Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen.

Loveboat, Taipei follows Ever Wong, an 18-year-old overachiever who was just admitted to Northwestern's prestigious medical program. She's also been accepted to the Tisch School of the Arts in
Merb
Loveboat, Taipei follows dancing enthusiast Ever, who has spent all eighteen years of her life following the strict guidelines and lifestyle of her parents, forcing her to have the dream of being a doctor, when all she wants to do is dance. Her parents send her packing her bags from Ohio to Taiwan to study Mandarin, without realising that the students at this school do not have the same ambitions as her parents - they want to drink, party, have sex and find a lifelong partner. Tentative at ...more

• Reverie
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Tweet Cute
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • Every Other Weekend
  • Almost American Girl
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • We Used To Be Friends
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • American Dirt
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • How to Speak Boy
  • A Love Hate Thing
  • Lucky Caller
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • The Gravity of Us
Abigail Hing Wen is a Silicon Valley venture lawyer working with AI startups. She is a Vermont College of Fine Arts graduate, Wild Things blogger, and YA writer of her debut, Loveboat, Taipei.

Loveboat, Taipei (2 books)
  • Untitled (Loveboat, Taipei, #2)