Start by marking “Cast Away: Poems for Our Time” as Want to Read:
Cast Away: Poems for Our Time

Cast Away: Poems for Our Time

Acclaimed poet and Young Peoples Poet Laureate Naomi Shihab Nye shines a spotlight on the things we cast away, from plastic water bottles to those less fortunate, in this collection of more than eighty original and never-before-published poems. A deeply moving, sometimes funny, and always provocative poetry collection for all ages.

Nye at her engaging, insightful best.
Published February 11th 2020 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Cast Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast Away

Start your review of Cast Away: Poems for Our Time
Dai Guerra
Nov 28, 2019 rated it liked it
While I thought these poems were written more for adults than young people I still found them interesting. I like how she wrote a whole book about trash and different types of trash. I thought it was interesting to really think about the way we throw things away and how careless we are with our things.
Meliss
This was very disappointing. And I had high hopes too. I'm not sure who the intended audience is, because it doesn't sounds MG or YA and agressively political as well.
Tasha
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, teen
By the Young Peoples Poet Laureate, this collection of poems shines a fierce light on the garbage and litter we create and toss away. The poems tie litter to larger environmental concerns as well as American politics in the time of anti-truth and fake news. Some poems question whether technology is helping us or not too. This is a collection that is thought provoking and insistent that we begin to pay attention to the large and small choices we are making each day and figure out how we too can ...more
Zoë Danielle
One of my unofficial reading goals for 2020 is to get back into reading more poetry, and that, plus a beautiful cover, lured me into reading Cast Away: Poems for Our Time by Naomi Shihab Nye, a collection about trash and politics. I have rarely read poetry intended for a younger audience, and while I thought the themes and messages behind the book were strong, I really didn't care much about the individual poems. I could see what Nye was trying to capture in the beauty of the discarded, but ...more
Rachel
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
NSN is one of my favorite poets, both modern day and overall. Cast Away is a wonderful collection focused around the theme of trash. She manages to speak to almost all aspects of life while using this theme: love, loss, life, politics, humanity, climate change, the world through a toddlers eyes and heart, etc
I found the entire collection thoughtful and around complex topics but stated in her known way-clear, concise, yet so beautiful and relatable. I think this is a great volume for kids, teens,
Lynn
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I admired this collection but I didn't revel in the poems as I usually do with Nye's work. Spare and beautifully crafted as always, there is an urgency and purpose to her exploration of trash and dealing with it. As I say, I admire the skill and craftsmanship and the message but it wasn't as emotionally immersive as I often find Nye's work and I'm sure this was a purely personal reaction.

Several individual poems stand out but the collection ended up being one I finished because I knew I should
Lucsbooks
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the theme of the book and of the poems and the general feelings written about but sadly the poems themselves were not my type.

My favorite thing about this book was in how much different ways the poet interpreted the word waste, both in the obvious physical sense but also all the things we throw away like words or feelings. I had never thought about things in such that way and I really liked that.

Thank you to Greenwillow Books and Edelweiss+ for this DRC.
Carrie
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
At first, I thought this book was just about trash--the bits and pieces of residue we find thrown on streets. But I quickly realized that this book is about things that are discarded and our attitudes about those things.

Things that are discarded could be
--women who discard their efforts in order to give credit to men.
--people at the border who are discarded as "useless" and "worthless"
--the homeless who remain people despite their lack of shelter
--humans who discard their earth under mounds of
Sherlyn
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewers
I really thought this book was pretty confusing because in each page you keep switching the subject about what was on the previous page. I would recommend this to people that are interested in poetry or poetry writing.
Ms. Yingling
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

I normally adore Nye's work, but these poems seemed more appealing to adults. I love that the poems are themed around waste and recycling, but will probably pass on purchasing.
Jenn
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, audio
Really clever and inspiring. Worthy of much re-listening, and I love the idea of it as a classroom tool, too.
Shauna Yusko
I feel like this is more appealing to adults. But an environmental theme if needed.
Sara
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, junior-books
How we treat trash and each other. A good read for middle school.
Janet
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Good young people's book. Good introduction to poetry on salient subjects. Serious but not too serious.
Rose Shealy
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
They are the best .
Kathy
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inveterate litter-collector, the current young people's poet laureate, offers a collection of poems about the things people toss away.
Nothing a child
ever does
is trash.
It is
practice.
Nye's ability to select just the right, significant detail among the ordinary things and conversations of life, is evident here. Carefully crafted in a free verse, these are truly poems for our profligate time and not just for children.
Read in arc sent by the publisher that will be treasured.
Jessica

• Mañanaland
  • Roll with It
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Clean Getaway
  • Tired and Hungry No More: Not Your Ordinary Guide to Reclaiming Your Health and Happiness
  • Shine!
  • Red at the Bone
  • The Okay Witch
  • Ghosts
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
  • Dictionary for a Better World: Poems, Quotes, and Anecdotes from A to Z
  • Investigators
  • Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
  • Trust Exercise
  • Bug Boys
  • Changeling (The Oddmire #1)
  • Saint X
Naomi Shihab Nye was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. During her high school years, she lived in Ramallah in Jordan, the Old City in Jerusalem, and San Antonio, Texas, where she later received her B.A. in English and world religions from Trinity University. She is a novelist, poet and songwriter.

She currently lives in San Antonio, Texas. She was elected a Chancellor of the