Start by marking “Falling for a Rake” as Want to Read:
Falling for a Rake

Falling for a Rake

(Fallen #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  64 ratings  ·  28 reviews
He's the most notorious rake in England. She's a Perfect Lady. Neither are what they seem.

Lady Emily can't afford a scandal. Her sister's debut is just weeks away and she has her pteridology group to safeguard. It's bad enough to be stuck in a hole overnight with Lord Markshall, and worse to have kissed him. Marriage is unthinkable. But newspaper hearsay on their "frolics
Published June 20th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Falling for a Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling for a Rake

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Falling for a Rake
Joanna Loves Reading
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hr, arc, my-title-is-earl
4.5 Stars - a very enjoyable read

With my limited availability to read at the moment, I am almost restricted to only audiobooks, and what I do read has been taking me weeks. So, when I picked this one up and finished it in two days, it really highlighted what a fun, quick read this was for me. It flowed. The characters were flawed, human and relatable. The setting was well-drawn and the historical tidbits were interesting.

Lady Emily is an avid fern hunter and leader of a women's group the takes e
Myla
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

I enjoyed the storyline. Emily and Markshall didn't hit it off right away. As a matter of fact, they just couldn't stand one another. Completely opposite personality. Emily is the prime and proper lady while Markshall is an arrogant and a womanizer lord. But sometimes fate plays a trick that led Emily and Markshall into a compromising situation.

Trapped in a cave after a fern searching accident, Markshall can't allow ruining Emily reputation, so against his better judgment he offers he
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Thanks to the author for a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review*

First off I want to warn the reader. If you're like me and don't like spoilers, SKIP the content notice or you'll see a lot of what's in the book. If you are are that bandwagon where you think all books should have a content warning, this book is for you! It even tells you when fictional animals will be harmed. It's that detailed.

Now onto the novel itself. I loved it! Emily is bold and a strong character that stands
Maggie Whitworth
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
❤️❤️❤️❤️
💋💋
Emily is a lady , a proper one , she doesn’t ruin herself by cavorting with Rakes .
She has responsibilities to her family and a sister who is due her debut .

Lord Markshall, the up and coming politically minded lord is the rake in question, he has her in his sites , but stalls at every fence , she’s a hard one to tame .

With gossip rife they have to put their heads together and save both hers, and his reputations, but love seems to be getting in the way .

A very enjoyable read , one to g
Tracy Emro
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Lady Emily Ravensthrorpe is hunting for a fern for her collection and trying to politely send Lord Markshall on his way, but he isn't taking the hint. Lord Markshall is a danger to her reputation and her peace of mind - he is handsome and charming, a combination she has a hard time remaining impassive to. When they accidently end up falling into a mine shaft, she worries about her sister's debut being ruined. Rescue efforts are unsuccessful and they end up staying the night in the pit. They talk ...more
nick (the infinite limits of love)

Really enjoyed the characters, the romance, and the writing in this one!
Merry Jewelhound
I loved this book. The characters were fun and human. I did not want to put it down. The story was well written and interesting. The steamy scenes were part of the story and made the pages turn themselves.
Petra
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this book. The beautiful complexities of Lord Markshall and Lady Emily. Lord Markshall is an actual rake and his way into the graces of a “perfect” society lady is not easy. Lady Emily is not as perfect as she seems.
They meet on a fern hunt which was apparently a respectable and fashionable activity for ladies and gentlemen and everything enfolds from there.
I would say this might not be everyone’s favorite book because these characters are not glossy exemplars of beautiful or
melanie
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one was a genuine surprise– well-researched, emotional, true to the period, and written in a way that didn’t make me want to claw my eyes out (there’s one typo of reign/rein that stuck out to me, though). Fake engagement/marriage of convenience crew, this one’s for you.

The end of the book managed to surprise me in one way, even though I suspected the twist, and I find it a good thing when a reader knows what’s coming and the author still manages to make it hurt (even if I’d have liked some
Cheryl
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Emily Ravensthorpe and Oscar, Lord Marksall, were complex characters. They both had a past that affected their attitudes at the present time. I don’t want to give anything away but there was so much more to them than the face they presented to the world. I did like the way in which Oscar saw Emily for herself and that Emily also began to realise the truth about Oscar. I enjoyed the relationship that Oscar had with his valet, Jones. It was interesting to read about the political agenda at th ...more
Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
What a wonderfully fascinating story, which is just what I had expected from Eve Pendle, she never disappoints to deliver a fully immersive and intelligent love story, she has got a great way with words that brings the story alive and this is no different. This is fully of intense emotional and sexual tension, secrets and lies and marvellously likable characters, for me this is a real winner.

I love that the story literally jumps right into Emily and Oscar’s world, they already know one and other
Kaetrin
May 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebook, historical
pre-order from Amazon.
emma
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-lit, romance
I loved this so much, great build up, great characters and a great romance.
Sue
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review to come.

Pteridologist/botanist heroine (with all you witchy ladies getting fern tattoos, this should be of interest!) and a politician hero. So good!

Caitlyn Lynch
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: victorian
I’ve got to be completely honest here. Two pages into this book and I was already inclined to give it five stars, because this is the first fiction book I have EVER read, in ANY genre, which starts off by carefully listing appropriate trigger warnings.

Until mainstream fiction figures out some way to follow the lead of fandom and adopt a coherent tagging system for trigger warnings - one which is followed by all authors on pain of getting flamed to death by furious reviewers - readers will have t
Janet
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lady Emily can't afford a scandal. Her sister's debut is just weeks away and she has her pteridology group to safeguard. It's bad enough to be stuck in a hole overnight with Oscar Clawson, Earl of Markshall, and worse to have kissed him. Then newspaper hearsay on their "frolics and fernication" after a fern hunting accident puts everything she's worked for in jeopardy.
Lord Markshall's whole political career is based on manipulation and disguise. Lady Emily's polite insults are just the thing to
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full RTC

I was absolutely hooked by this book.
It was exactly what I like in my historoms: a hero who has a certain reputation, is looked differently from the society and has a very fond & caring heart under a rough, scandalous shell.

Our heroine isn't as perfect as we might should think and that's exactly what I loved about it.
Emily and Oscar, Lord Markshall, are a couple with lots of (singular) flaws, asking for acceptance, sometimes for forgiveness by others but the important issue is to accept
Letschat1974
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars (4 stars enjoy Kate Pearce, Jess Michaels,Ashe Barker).

You get plenty of sexual content (if that’s your main goal for reading this book, totally recommend you read on...no judgment obviously since I read it).

I enjoyed the main charters H/H; both were likeable, their romance was engaging and I found the humour in the book to my liking.

I found the movement of the book ‘choppy at times’ and slow especially around the story telling overall.

This book is worth a read but didn’t really h
Amy Alvis
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emily behavior has been on the straight and narrow for years and she isn't about to change things right before her sister's debut. But she ends up having to spend the night trapped with Oscar, who is a known rake. They decide to fake a betrothal knowing that in time, they can end it. They didn't count on falling for each other...

I really enjoyed Emily and Oscar's story. The bantering between them had me laughing out loud. I loved that we got to see Emily slowly learn the real Oscar and get to kn
Aila
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, and thought it was awesome to see such multi-faceted main characters who recognize their faults and embraces them. Strong message overall. Can't quite put a finger on why the romance was a bit meh for me, but the characterizations took the cake.
Rose
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Falling for a Rake is the first book I have had the pleasure of reading by author Eve Pendle and I must say it was a fantastic read! I enjoyed Ms. Pendle’s style of writing and look forward to reading more from her in the future.

Lady Emily Ravensthorpe is a Duke’s daughter and has a perfect reputation. She is the leader and founder of The Ladies’ Association of Fern Enthusiasts and Hunters. While out on a fern hunting expedition searching for an elusive fern, she falls into a forty-foot hole wit
Brenda
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lady Emily can't afford a scandal.
Lord Markshall's whole political career is based on manipulation and disguise.
With Emily's sister's debut and a major political vote coming up, their reputations–good and bad–have never been more critical.
Out and about fern hunting Emily finds herself down a well with Markshall. It is scandalous to say the least since they end up together without a chaperone over night.

This story with a bit of an odd storyline was good but not one of my favorites. I read this
Joan
Struggling to rate/review this novel. It's 'historical romance' with Heat level: medium-high
and there were some lovely moments in the book, but they have sex at the 50% mark and I ended up with the feeling that Oscar was rather a brute. I hated the way he treated Emily - and some of the wording left me feeling a little creeped

- she struggled slightly against his hands but he was beyond allowing her that freedom.
- Maybe he was a bit rough
- "Turn over," he ordered her. His voice sounded harsh, e
Pontiki
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lady Emily endeavours to be a Perfect Lady, the daughter of a duke. But she has a secret. Lord Oscar is a well known rake with a past who helps drive politics in the House of Commons. He has a secret.

After they fall down a mine shaft as she’s out with her Lady Hunters, a group of fern collectors, he shares his past transgression, she shares the loss of her fiancé.

But after being rescued, they. must marry or she’s ruined. Back and forth they go, thinking the other dislikes them, disapproves of
Janine Ballard
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases

Review to come.
Pam  Bereznak
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eve doesn't have a lot of books out but I really love her writing and the stories she tells. Her characters are always interesting. Can't wait to read more.
Asera
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to come
Lady Bea
Jun 21, 2019
Angela
Jan 13, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Who's That Earl (Love and Let Spy, #1)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • Married to the Rake (The Wallflower Brides #1)
  • His Wayward Bride (Romance of the Turf, #3)
  • A Beastly Kind of Earl (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • The Hunter (Victorian Rebels, #2)
  • Duke of Daring (Lords of Scandal #1)
  • The Kingmaker (All the King's Men Duet, #1)
  • My Darling Duke (Sinful Wallflowers, #1)
  • A Whole New Duke
  • A Slight Indiscretion (Rogues & Gentlemen #12)
  • Love Lettering
  • Winter Wishes: A Regency Holiday Romance Anthology
  • Never Doubt a Duke (Fortune's Brides #1)
  • Redeeming the Reclusive Earl
  • The Determined Lord Hadleigh (The King's Elite #4)
Eve lives in England and writes angsty, snarky and passionate Victorian era romance. She has National Trust membership, a prince-charming husband, and a crazy dog. She loves wearing dresses and eating chocolate.

If you want a taster of Eve's work - a sexy historical romance story - and an email notification of when her next book comes out, sign up for her new-releases email list at www.evependle.c

Fallen (2 books)