Start by marking “Little White Lies” as Want to Read:

‘Breathtaking suspense. A phenomenal talent’ HOLLY SEDDON
‘Terrifically engaging’ JO SPAIN
‘Addictive. I couldn’t put it down’ PHOEBE MORGAN
‘A heart-thumping, racing thriller’ CHRISTINA McDONALD

She only looked away for a second…

Anne White only looked away for a second, but that’s all it took to lose sight of her young daughter.

She
Expected publication: February 4th 2020 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about Little White Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little White Lies

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Little White Lies
Christina McDonald
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domestic
Emotionally taut, poignant and raw, Little White Lies is a beautiful thriller about the bitter cost of lies and the enduring quality of a mother’s love.

The story begins with what usually is the ending for most thrillers: a kidnapped child is returned. And so the story thoroughly and unflinchingly explores the emotions of that return: how do you reconnect with the child you once had; who is the girl in front of you now; and what should you really tell her about the day she disappeared
Gemma
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A shocking event: a young girl is abducted.

Another shocking event: she returns 7 years later.

This is a fascinating look at how a family reacts when their abducted daughter /sister/niece/cousin reappears unexpectedly. They are forced to face their worst fears, secrets and lies. The effects of the abduction on the girl, and the family's reaction to her, unfold over the days and weeks.

There were moments that almost made my heart break, they were so unbearably realistic. This is a grea
Dr Jennifer
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put it down.
The story telling is so real with deep characters and a plot that compelled me to read it over two sittings.
This debut novel is emotive and depicted truly how this scenario could come about.
Im excited to read more from this author.
Georgina
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
'He was so ordinary... In the street, I would have walked straight past him. I couldn't have singled him out in a crowd. If he had come up to me helpfully in the rain, I don't think I'd have been frightened. The idea sent a shiver down my spine.'

Anne has waited so long for this moment. 7 years ago, her 8 year old daughter Abigail went missing, taken by a stranger after her mother looked away for just a second. Her disappearance has changed everything for her family, who have to deal with the guilt o/>Anne
Miss R
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

'Little White Lies' is an extraordinary debut from a phenomenally talented writer.

Child abduction and its aftermath is far from an original plot device in contemporary novels, but Phillippa East manages to fashion what is a well hackneyed trope into a compelling piece of literature. The years between the disappearance of 8 year old Abigail to her reappearance 7 years later that formed the first p
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anne White only looked away for a moment, but that was all it took: her eight year old daughter Abigail disappeared, abducted from a busy train station and vanished into thin air.

Seven painful years later, Anne gets the call she never thought she'd receive: Abigail has been found safe and well, and they're looking for the man who has been keeping her captive for the last seven years.

As the family struggle to connect with the older version of the Abigail they remember - sullen, prick
Louise
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Wright
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A white knuckle thriller that keeps you guessing until the end. 15 year old Abigail has been returned to her parents after having been held captive for 7 years. She was abducted at a tube station aged 8. The drama features the intrigues within the extended family; the guilt of the mother as well as a highly traumatised teenager.
The final dramatic scene is almost unbearable to read.
The trauma of the family is well written and the guilt of the mother clearly depicted.
The novel is a real pa
Lindsey
This book had so much promise as the story itself is an addictive one- missing child comes home, what happened to her and why etc. But the problem was Abigail and Anne weren’t likeable, so I just didn’t care. I did persist with the book and then it took a giant leap resulting in ******spoiler coming up *******
Abigail tries to kill her cousin Jess???!!!! That just lost me as the reader and I realised the book hadn’t made up its mind as to what story it was trying to tell.
Interesting but no
Lindsay
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Wow this book kept me twisted and turning all the way through it. I just didn’t know who to trust and what secrets were being kept at every step. I was blown away by the story and the ending. How does a family ever come back together after a child returns seven years after being abducted. After the celebrations take place how do the family learn to heal and mend. You will not be disappointed by this book.
Angie
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
An intriguing thriller and solid debut novel from Scottish author Phillippa East. Throughout the book we are kept guessing about the circumstances surrounding Abigail's disappearance. The writer explores family dynamics in the face of trauma and the destructive power of guilt.
Sophie Bristow Harris
Melanie
Tracy Fenton
Tracy Woolf
Oct 15, 2019
Philippa East grew up in Scotland before moving to Oxford and then London to train as a Clinical Psychologist.

A few years ago, Philippa left the NHS to set up her own part-time practice and dedicate more hours to writing. The result was her debut novel LITTLE WHITE LIES which will be published with HQ/HarperCollins in February 2020.

Philippa now lives in the beautiful Lincolnshire countryside wit