Start by marking “Daughter from the Dark” as Want to Read:
Daughter from the Dark

Daughter from the Dark

In this extraordinary stand-alone novel, the authors and translator of Vita Nostra—a "dark Harry Potter on steroids with a hefty dose of metaphysics" (award-winning author Aliette de Bodard)—return with a story about creation, music, and companionship filled with their hallmark elements of subtle magic and fantasy.

Late one night, fate brings together DJ Aspirin and
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Harper Voyager (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter from the Dark, please sign up.
Miriam The adult protagonist has relationships with different women, and the book mentions that him spending the night without going into explicit detail.…moreThe adult protagonist has relationships with different women, and the book mentions that him spending the night without going into explicit detail. (less)

Start your review of Daughter from the Dark
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
I was so excited when I saw this, thinking it was to be the translated sequel of Vita Nostra. It is not... but then I read the synopsis and um HOLY HELL I NEED THIS THANKS
keikii Eats Books
I didn't intend to read this in a single day. The book had other ideas. Wow. Longer review to come closer to the English release.

I receivedthis book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Marina & Sergey Dyachenko, Julia Meitov Hersey, Harper Voyager, and Edelweiss for providing the opportunity to review this copy.

To read more reviews in this series and others, check out my blog keikii eats books!
Robin Bonne
4.5 Stars. Part fairy tale, part horror story. DJ Aspirin helps a girl in the street and gets sucked into a sort of alternative reality where he becomes her father. At first, he treats her brutality, which adds to the horror of the story. The main question at the surface of the book is who or what is she. The theme of how a man-baby becomes an adult is also explored.

Music plays a key role in this tale. The girl must learn to play a perfect song to find her brother. Whenever she practices this
Sana
Jul 11, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
After reading and enjoying the hell out of the mindfuckery that is Vita Nostra, I'm so ready for this and also, it sounds amazinggg
Jordan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was extraordinarily odd and I'm somewhere between three and four stars, haven't quite decided. A full review will be posted closer to its publication next year! I'm not sure if anything the Dyachenkos write could ever make me fall in with it as much as Vita Nostra did, but I still love exploring their unique stories!
Lois Young
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. As mind bending as “Vita Nostra,” but more focused on the prose and on the characters. The ending was not what I was expecting and there were not obvious (fantasy) tropes.

RTC.
Miriam
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
DJ Aspirin has a fine life hosting a radio show by day and performing as a DJ at clubs at night. But his world is turned upside down when a strange young girl takes up residence in his apartment and refuses to leave until she finds her long-lost brother.

The Dyachenkos are back. Or rather, the English version of the Dyachenkos are back. It will never not rankle that the Russian-speaking public get to read all their works while we English-speaking losers have to make do with the shreds that
Mel
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received an advanced copy of this book on Netgalley.**

While this didn't have the full throttle what-is-HAPPENING factor of Vita Nostra, this book was still satisfyingly weird. The mental gymnastics that Aspirin went through to justify said weirdness could be a little bit exhausting at times, but in general I thought that the book's black humor helped to make the more repetitive bits readable. I was actually surprised by how funny it was - and by how much I ended up like Aspirin.

The ending,
Margherita Abitino
3.5 stars... I really enjoyed the story, but I had to keep reminding myself that it's been translated as there were times I felt like I was reading a Grade 9 English assignment. The translation definitely needs some work in helping the story flow, but otherwise a really cool, contemporary whimsical tale.

A great combination of fantasy and horror.
Kylie Corley
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won an uncorrected proof through a Goodreads giveaway. I wanted to really love this, but I was left so confused throughout the book. It was still a delight to read, because I've not read anything like it. I think it's one of those books that you'd need to read again, maybe, to grasp everything.
Vladimir Silchenko
This book is like a good Jazz melody: slow, a bit strange a makes you wanting it never stop
Aimee
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
While I didn't love every moment of this book, I loved the atmosphere. It was a little gothic in the sense that you knew something darker was looming somewhere, but the writing and sweep of the story never quite give anything away in clear light.
Alexey is DJ Aspirin and one night he stumbles upon a little girl in danger with her teddy bear. After that, his life is filled with terror, bloodshed, random bouts of intense selfishness, odd strangers, school shopping, an incredible amount of violin
Jesseruth
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and am so grateful for the opportunity to review it.
Daughter from the Dark hooked me in fast. This story starts out with the sometimes loveable and sometimes disgraceful DJ Aspirin ( AKA Alexey), who stumbles upon an adolescent girl hiding by the street on his walk home. All she has to her name are the clothes on her back and a very unique teddy bear. When Alexey has a dog set upon him by a group of teenagers nearby, the teddy bear seems to come alive to protect his owner and,
Kenzie Cooper
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
As with all of the Dyachenko stories, there was a surrealist fairytale vibe interspersed in a visceral, dark atmosphere. What I like about their books is the complexity of the characters - both loveable and difficult to relate to. There isn't a "perfect" character, they are raw and real, which helps build to the modern setting of the story or speak to a modern audience.

As for the story itself -it's bizarre and difficult to fully explicate. But, I liked it. Prose, here, is unencumbered by
Kelli
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Many thanks to the publishers and what not. Here's an honest review.

I love these writers! This isn't the type of book I would ever normally pick up but they hook me every single time. I love how you spend the entire book questioning the sanity of everyone involved including yourself. Y'all I was mad my car got done with it's oil change so fast and then passed up shopping at the nicest mall in Dallas to go home and finish this book. This is not normal behavior.

The characters are well developed,
M
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is a weird novel. It has pieces of magical realism, horror, and mystery all wrapped up in one. Who is Alyona? Where does she come from? What does she want? What will she do? These are all questions that are raised from this reading. While the book is told from DJ Aspirin's point of view, it is most decidedly a book about Alyona.

The prose is simple and direct and used to create a foggy atmosphere while reading. It put me in the mind of "Let the right one in" by Ajivde Lindqvist. The heavy
Manja Bogina
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Заодно с Горелой Башней.
Историю про Крысолова я наверное готова читать в любом виде, а тут еще и Дяченко. В общем я давно не читала что-то, что я взяла читать в одиннадцать вечера, а дальше пока не дочитала, не могла отложить книжку, хотя я честно пыталась. Довольно жестко, довольно неоднозначно, все прям как всегда у Дяченко. Ну, по крайней мере из того, что я у них читала. Не уверена, насколько я могу сказать, понравилось мне или нет - это были довольно горячечные несколько часов, что довольно
Amandasadventuresinbookland
I gave this a 3.5 stars. I was given the opportunity to read this early copy through Netgalley. The premise of this book sounded so good and I did like it. But throughout the book it was very confusing and psychologically twisting. For me it felt like I couldn’t tell what was happening or what was real. If you enjoy psychological twisting stories then definitely give this a try!! It was good and kept me on my toes.
Paul
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is OK -- a little to weird for me. I like the concepts and uses of music in the story, which is quite unique and imaginative. I suspect most fantasy fans will enjoy this.

I really appreciate the copy for review!
Kira
This is a heavy fairytale like book that is often very dark. In a way that sticks to your ribs and leaves you pondering after you walk away. I’m going to take a moment to absorb this book before reviewing fully.
Devin Drennen
Jan 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was a Goodreads Giveaway win. I really struggled to get through the book. The writing was choppy, all over the place, and hard to follow.
Elaine
Nov 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Review to come!
Тетяна Савченко
Мені просто дико ріже вухо, коли всі алюзії в тексті відсилають до російського інформаційного простору: попсові пісеньки, приказки, фрази з радянських комедій. Комусь нормально, а мене дратує страшне. Крім того, коли йдеться про світ, в якому фігурують дяді-рішали, світські кобітки і тому подібне, мені від цього якоюсь кіношною фальшивкою тяне. Може тому, що в моєму власному життєвому просторі такого народу практично нема, я його тільки в телевізорі бачила, коли телевізор був.
Marusia
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Upright Women Wanted
  • Purple Hearted Man
  • Carlucci's Heart
  • The Amber Secret (The Relic Hunters #3)
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • The Probability Pad
  • The Perihelion: Complete Duology
  • Nathan's Run
  • An Unholy Shame (Monica Noble, #3)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • On the Corner of Hope and Main (Blessings, #10)
  • Hounds of the Basket Stitch
  • The Case of the Reincarnated Client (Vish Puri, #5)
  • Nowhere on Earth
  • The Honourable Life of Thomas Chayne
  • Providence
  • What Death Taught Terrence
  • Mystical Activism: Transforming a World in Crisis
Марина Дяченко
Marina and Sergey Dyachenko - co-authors of novels, short fiction, plays and scripts. They primarily write in Russian (and in the past also in Ukrainian) with several novels translated into English and published in the United States. These include, Vita Nostra (2012), The Scar (2012), The Burned Tower (2012), and Age of Witches (2014). The primary genres of their books are modern