Start by marking “Snail Crossing” as Want to Read:
Snail Crossing

Snail Crossing

A determined snail.

A plump cabbage.

A truly epic journey . . .

In a book as cheerful and charming as Snail himself, Corey Tabor tells a winning tale of a slow but steady snail, whose determination and kindness bring him the best reward of all: friendship.
Published February 4th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Snail Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snail Crossing

Start your review of Snail Crossing
Betsy
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The snail, as I see it, is not a natural child substitute in a picture book setting. While kids are prone to short attention spans, rambunctiousness, and general speed, snails are squat, slow, and uniquely focused. They do, however, share one quality that children can relate to: a relentless desire for tasty food. Particularly my tasty food. My tomatoes. My poor poor tomatoes. Sorry, where was I? Ah yes! Waxing rhapsodic over the fictional snail, I was. Well, when it comes to storytelling only ...more
Books on Stereo
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Almost too cute for words.
Shiloah
Most precious! My whole family adored this one!
Elisabeth
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I bristle at the words "super cute" most of the time...but there is no other way to describe this snail and this story.
Andrew
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This little snail may be discouraged from trying to cross the road to reach a delicious cabbage, but it won't deter his determination! On the way, some antsy ants get a bit impatient with his pace... but when a rainstorm drops in, Snail is there to offer them refuge. What a charming creature! Slow and steady isn't the only way to win a race-- kindness works, too.
Emma
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Snail sees some plump cabbage across the road, he is determined to get to it even if it means crossing a road filled with obstacles that are too big and too fast for him to ponder. After helping some ants find shelter in the rain and deploying evasive maneuvers to avoid a hungry crow, Snail is worried he won't ever get to that cabbage. But lo his new ant friends are ready to help. Tabor's artwork is crisp with a muted color palette. Viewing things from Snail's perspective offers a different ...more
Tara Strosnider
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very cute sweet story about a snail on a mission to get too some cabbage that he sees across the road. He is very determined to not let any obstacles get in his way. After he helps some ants find shelter in the rain, and deploying evasive maneuvers to avoid a hungry crow, snail is worried he won't ever get to that cabage, but his new ant friends are ready to help.
Slow and steady isn't the only way to win the race kindess works too.
Abby Johnson
Ahhh, adorable! When Snail spies a field of plump, crisp cabbage across the road, he sets off to get him some, but a journey for one small snail across a big, busy road is not as easy as it may seem. This is a fun and funny book about determination and kindness and bugs and it would make a great readaloud. Grab this one for your next bug-themed storytime.
SilverReader
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
This was adorable. Just when you might think all is lost, along come some friends.
Alison
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adorable story and illustrations! The snail is patient, persistent and kind, and makes new friends on his journey.
Frankie 1K B4 K
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A simple but sweet story about determination and sharing
DaNae
One good turn, will get you back where you started when you want to be where you were going but then a good never goes unpunished.

So delightful.
Marissa
This picture book is ridiculously cute!
Earl
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Why did the snail cross the road- or at least try to? To get to the other side where the cabbage patch was, of course. But will slow and steady win the race or will it be an escar-stop? Despite my attempt at humor with that joke, this is a cute story worth reading.
Shaye Miller
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This super cute picture book is about a snail who is determined, but also kind. While he has his eye set on the cabbages across the road, he takes time to entertain guests. And you just never know when humbleness and kindness will pay off. The artist used pencil, watercolor, colored pencil, and ink, assembled digitally, to create the illustrations in this book.

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to visit my personal blog at The Miller
Jillian Heise
I really loved Corey's Fox the Tiger early reader, so was excited to get an early peek at his next picture book. I was literally laughing out loud as I sat reading this to myself. It's adorable and perfect to share with kids who will get a kick out of the snail, his home, his any friends, and his journey. This is one that I could read over and over to kids just to see their reactions. With themes of friendship and determination, it will find uses in classrooms and school libraries for sure. The ...more
Arminzerella
Why did the Snail cross the road? To get to the tasty cabbages on the other side! Like most snails, Snail does everything slowly. On its way, it meets some ants and shelters them from a passing rain storm. They return the favor by bringing some cabbage back to Snail, who eventually makes it across (without mishap - hooray!) the road. Messages: slow and steady is ok, be kind when you can. Unfortunately, snail bodies/shells don't work like this in real life.
Pam
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Snail wants to cross the road to get to the cabbage. He takes his time and realizes how long a journey it will be. Along the way, he makes friends with a group of ants and he saves them from the rain. Later, he realizes he spun around and ended up back where he started. Then a cabbage comes to him when the ants bring it across the road.
Power of friendship.
Perseverance.
Lovely soft watercolor illustrations.
Austin
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Snails are among my favorite animals; I'm always very excited to see them featured. They usually are the butt of jokes about their speed, and this one definitely fits into that category, but I can guarantee that this book is (1) funnier and (2) cuter than any of those other snail stories. There are great sight-gags, and a sweet message about friendship. There even manages to be a bit of adventure.
Jana
Sometimes it takes patience and help from friends in order to accomplish a goal. Snail is crossing a busy highway in order to get to a cabbage patch. Along the way, he has close-calls with trucks, waits out a rainstorm with some newfound friends, and avoids getting eaten by a bird. When he realizes that he's suffered a setback, his new friends save the day for him. This fun picture book has great lessons about helping our friends, kindness, and patience.
Peggy Perret
Very sweet story about a snail on a mission to get to some cabbage that he sees across the road. He is determined to not let other obstacles get in his way. While trying to evade a pesky crow though, snail gets turned around and winds up right where he started from. What a great ending to the story when his newly made friends come to his aid!
Sheri
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a snail crossing the road to get to a cabbage patch. Snails are very slow and there is traffic coming along the road but snail makes friends along the way and enemies and finds himself with a problem. Being short and not being able to see the cabbage patch is hard but the ending is funny and the twist is worth reading to the end of this short picture book.
Amanda
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

Thank you for this book on today of all days. I am feeling antsy. I have a goal on the horizon, but there has been a lot of spinning today. "Well, shoot," is one way of summing it up. I just cannot seem to get to my goal, and I could use a few friends to help. Thank you for this lovely, sweet book; it cheered me up immensely.
Raven Black
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
"Cabbage bound! I'm cabbage bound! Head in the clouds, foot on the ground." And boy is Snail ever! Nothing will stop them from getting those cabbages: not cars, crows or antsy ants. A funny scene about making friends and an not seen twist makes this a fun new story about determination and friendship.
Anthony
Snail spots a cabbage patch across the road, and is determined to have him a delicious plump cabbage. Snail has a few set backs during his journey, but in his steadfastness to have a plump cabbage he shows a little kindness to others, and receives in-turn something more than just a plump cabbage.
Zan Porter
Determined to make his way to a plump, crisp cabbage across the road, Snail risks speeding cars and hungry crows during a long and slow journey, before getting lost while helping a crew of ants escape a rainstorm.
Loved this book!
Grab
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Laughed aloud. The little details in the illustrations were precious. Simple, clean story presentation with a cute commentary on the value of generosity and politeness coming back to you if you extend it to others.
Melissa
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Why did the snail cross the road? To get to the cabbage on the other side. Or did he actually get to the cabbage?

This is a fun story of friendship and determination. The illustrations are especially great on a few pages.
Westerville
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can't love it enough!! I will leave the details to you to discover. :D - Becky, Collection Development

Reserve a library copy
Sara
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a cute story!

• In a Jar
  • Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
  • No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired
  • Almost Time
  • The Box Turtle
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • The Serious Goose
  • Such a Good Boy
  • Facts vs. Opinions vs. Robots
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Old Truck
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • Pluto Gets the Call
  • Dandelion's Dream
  • The Legend of King Arthur-a-tops
  • Truman
  • Straw
  • The Bold, Brave Bunny
Corey R. Tabor grew up in Wyoming, where he once spent the night in a cave by an underground waterfall. He now lives with his wife in Seattle, where he draws and reads and explores. Please visit him at coreyrtabor.com.

from https://www.readbrightly.com/meet-ill...