Start by marking “Dead to Her” as Want to Read:
Dead to Her

Dead to Her

For fans of Liane Moriarty, Liv Constantine and Lisa Jewell, a twisty psychological thriller about a savvy second wife who will do almost anything to come out on top from the New York Times bestselling author of Behind Her Eyes.

Being the second wife can be murder . . .

“Once a cheat, always a cheat,” they say. Marcie Maddox has worked hard to get where she is after the
Published February 11th 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Dead to Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead to Her

Start your review of Dead to Her
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WTH! My mind is spinning so hard! Did somebody hit me with a brick or a flower pot hit me in the head as I was passing through? Why I am seeing stars and “ wishing on a star” plays in my head, I don’t listen to KPop and BTS (Taking it back ! I loved their collaboration with Halsey) This is a freaking train ride that you cannot climb out or you don’t want to! If you cannot handle all those twists, surprises, more twists (oh no I don’t want to vomit but my stomach really churns! So much UTURNS and ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not compatible with the author's books anymore. Please read this one for yourself, because you may enjoy it much more than I did!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Debra
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Well, well, well, what a tangled web we weave......

Go in as blind as you can! That's the best advice I can give for those who want to read this book. I requested this book simply because I loved Behind Her Eyes by Pinborough. I had no idea what the book was going to be about.

The basic gist from the synopsis is that beautiful Marcie Maddox knows what it is like to be the second wife, who now has a secure place in their social circle. But when their friend, William, a recent widower brings home a
Holly  B
2.5 STARS

I couldn't wait to start this newest release by the author the wrote Behind Her Eyes,which was one of my favorite thrillers in 2017.

The first half of the book was intriguing and I wanted to find out more about Keisha, who has recently married the wealthy, and older William Radford IV. She isn't the only trophy wife in town who has recently landed a wealthy hubbie though, Marcie is now Mrs. Jason Maddox and living her best life.

When these two women meet, the past, the secrets and their
Michelle
I read Behind Her Eyes and I was one of those people that was not shocked by the unbelievable twist because the unbelievable twist was completely ridiculous to me. I remember turning the last page and feeling so unsatisfied.

So maybe it's my own fault that I requested this book knowing how I felt about her last one. This book, again, was a huge disappointment for me.

Unlikable wealthy people, gold diggers, unnecessary & cringe worthy sex scenes, and voodoo = My head hurts.

Sarah Pinborough
megs_bookrack
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Marcie has firmly established herself as the hot, younger second wife to successful husband, Jason Maddox.

In their posh Savannah community, replete with sumptuous mansions and a country club lifestyle, image is everything. Marcie appears to have it all and she feels that way...most days.

The older, blue blooded women they socialize with have come to accept her and include her in their luncheons and tennis dates, but Marcie can't help but feel like a second class citizen around them.

Her upbringing
Tammy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Get ready for some juicy juju here. Staid Savannah high society isn’t an easy place to live for Marcie, the young second wife of a successful attorney. Enter the boss’s even younger, more beautiful and glamorous second wife who threatens to topple Marcie from her hard won place amid the southern blue bloods. Lies, secrets, and betrayals abound. This is highly entertaining and guano crazy.
Ceecee
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is a tale of the unexpected, a danse macabre, bad juju, voodoo, black magical, diabolical, twisty, and mysterious, superstitious journey into the dizzy heights of Savannah society. Marcie is trailer trash and doing her level best to hide though you can’t help your roots and she marries up. Very up. Jason Maddox is a lawyer and a wealthy member of the Savannah social scene, he’s not exactly blue blood but he’s upwardly mobile. Jason’s partner, a recent widower William Radford IV ...more
Katie B
I am a huge fan of Sarah Pinborough. She is an exciting writer to me because she is so creative I honestly never know what I am in for when I pick up one of her books. This one was no exception and with a cast of unlikable characters it was fun to sit back and see everything unfold.

Marcie Maddox and her husband, Jason, had an affair that resulted in him leaving his first wife and eventually marrying Marcie. They hobnob with other wealthy and elite people in their town of Savannah, Georgia. One
Bridgett
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Having read, and enjoying, Behind Her Eyes, I knew going into Dead to Her, there would likely be some form of crazy.

I wasn't disappointed.
I know many are turned off by the odd turns Sarah Pinborough takes in her novels, but I actually find them creative and refreshing, in what has become a majorly over-saturated genre. Her writing is tight, with zero plot holes, and her red herrings are always masterfully rendered. I, unfortunately, was able to figure out our antagonist very early on, which is
Dennis
After last year's disaster, Cross Her Heart, I was highly skeptical that I'd ever read Sarah Pinborough's books again. Call me a hypocrite, because Dead to Her has brought the fire and Sarah Pinborough is back! If you enjoyed Behind Her Eyes, you'll definitely enjoy this book. While the pacing at times was slower than expected (my only issue with this book), the story was intriguing, original, and highly bingeworthy! I highly recommend this book for folks, like me, who are done with the same ...more
Aga Durka
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
"From rags to riches" was the journey for the two main characters, Keisha and Marcie, and now that they are finally on top and they have what they wanted, status and wealth, both women are quickly discovering that being rich and “famous” does not necessarily brings security and happiness. Secrets, jealousy, and lies quickly brings Keisha and Marcie’s lives to downfall.

This was a quick read for me, however I found myself skimming some parts of this psychological thriller. The first half of the
Liz Barnsley
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of this year's advance novels from this year's Harrogate, possibly annoyingly for any of the others I'm not sure what can top this.

This was my short sharp tweet review.

Deliciously dark, sexy as hell, eternally addictive and a pitch perfect pay off. Also creepy and a *tiny* bit insane.

There you go. You'll want this one. Trust me.

Full review next year for release.
Tammie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Dead to Her, a mystery/thriller, was a solid 4 stars.
It took me a while to get into this one, but once I did, I was definitely hooked.
The book centers around main character Marcie, a woman who was able to leave her difficult/poor past behind and rise to become one of Savannah’s wealthy residents. Marcie surrounds herself with a small circle of friends, enter new member Keisha- a young woman that recently married ultra-rich William Radford IV and things start to get interesting. No spoilers
Ludwig
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She had no choice.”

When the woman who wrote your favorite thriller comes out with a new book, you drop everything you're doing and read that book!
Just like in Sarah Pinborough’s past novels, the past will come back to bite the characters in her upcoming novel - Dead To Her.

The book starts with all the basicness of a domestic thriller. In the meantime, there’s this mystery surrounding a certain character - among many other strange goings-on - that kept me intrigued until the unexpected,
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Pinborough is one of my favorite authors. Not just in her writing, but also her as a person as she was extremely nice in an interchange with me a couple years back. She's an autobuy author and I absolutely love how divisive her books make the thriller community. It honestly just tickles me.

One thing I've noticed is that people tend to compare all her reads to Behind Her Eyes (especially if that's their first and only book). Personally, I say don't do that. That book is a divine entity of its own
Mandy White
I really wanted to like this book - and I did for the first half of it. But then came the black magic, the weird voodoo and it completely lost me. It was such a shame as I was enjoying it for the most part.

The other thing that put me off this book was the excessive and details sex scenes. Really didn't need those.

The first part of this book had me intrigued. 2 second wives - Marcie and Keisha. They are different but shared that role. Their husbands worked together so they needed to be friends.
Angela Groom
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“Once a cheat, always a cheat,” or so they say. Marcie Maddox has worked hard to get where she is after the illicit affair that started her new life a few years ago. Jason's boss - William has a new wife Keisha who is shaking things up and becomes real good friends with Marcie. Lies, secrets, betrayals and southern blood with a little ju ju voodoo thrown in for good measure.
A story told though the eyes of Keisha and Marcie trying to fit into a society they clearly do not belong in. Marcie with a
Angie Elle
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC from Edelweiss and Netgalley

Sarah Pinborough is an author who has been on my TBR forever, and the amazing cover coupled with the blurb made me know that Dead to Her was going to be my first read of hers. This book was such a pleasant surprise; I don’t think I’ve found a Thriller this hilarious since SCREAM hit the big screen in 1996. (Yep. I’m that old.)

I’ll warn you now - the characters in this book are deliciously unlikable. There’s not a single one of them that doesn’t have some hideous
Bandit
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another year, another book with a three word title with the word her in it and a woman on the cover…well, it must be time for Sarah Pinborough’s latest. And what a crapfest this one turned out to be. Mind you, Pinborough is the author who’s been through the gamut of it all, starting off in the Leisure Publishers’ stable penning British frights and moving on to YA, tv adaptations, crime and, of course, eventually…nay, inevitably…these female thrillers the world can’t get enough of. And sure, that ...more
OutlawPoet
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
So, the book I read prior to this was kind of blow-your-mind fantastic on so many levels and I think this one may have suffered a little by coming right after that one.

This is a popcorn read. And quite sordid. You have a bunch of rich and nouveau-riche people behaving in all sorts of sordid ways. Most of them are, well, just plain dumb. There were only two characters I liked. One of them was dead before the book began. The other was her friend.

As for the others… I just kept getting overwhelmed
Laura • lauralovestoread

This was definitely a twisty page turner! But it’s hard to review some thrillers like this because you really want to go in blind with them.

There was a full cast of characters that were hard to find anything to like about them, and you never knew what their motivations were, but it also reminded me of a real housewife drama I love to watch.
Overall this was a captivating read and I feel like I need to read Behind Her Eyes now.

*Thank you William Morrow for this free copy for review. All opinions
Ellen Gail
Giving people a choice is like a magic trick. You should always know what their answer will be in advance.

Veering wildly between boring, ridiculous, and literally impossible, Dead to Her is a thriller that forgot the thrills.

I want to start with the positives, because honestly, there aren't many. Probably what Dead to Her executed best was the sense of outsiderness. Keisha, the very young and gorgeous second wife of an elderly millionaire, doesn't fit in - she's too young, too black, too
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
"We all have to be whatever it takes to survive." *

Marcie Maddox has worked hard to become part of the privileged set of high society in Savannah, Georgia. After the initial shock the city's old money had over her affair with Jason, the pair married and Marcie has since enjoyed the country club and now the ultimate status symbol of a grand Southern home.

Marcie's heading into her mid-30's, the youngest in their inner circle ...until the new Mrs. William Radford IV arrives.
William, Jason's boss,
Tracy Robinson
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-own
Previously, I’ve read Pinborough’s BEHIND HER EYES (loved it)and I have several of her earlier horror fiction titles to read as well. I truly enjoyed my time with this book. The author proves that complex characters, multi-threaded story lines, and the ability to tell a damn good story are all sharply honed skills; she wields them well.
Marcie and Keisha are by far my favorite characters here. Straight on, they are developed and interesting, but that’s just the surface. There is a host of
Ashley
I absolutely love Sarah Pinborough, but unfortunately, this book did not work for me. I made it to Part II before I gave up on this title. I found the subject matter to be far out of the realm of my interest. It seemed too weird and inappropriate for my taste. It was as if the sexual situations were only for the shock factor, otherwise, the story was pretty mundane.
Roman Clodia
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is a slightly weird cross of Jackie Collins with voodoo!

Our two protagonists are poor girls married up with rich men and determined to keep their secrets, their new lifestyles and their money... no matter what the price. There's a 'twist' that I could easily see coming and gradually the voodoo/cursing strand takes over - with a sudden rush of revelations at the end.

I found the pacing off with a whole long boring bit in the middle. It's also hard to maintain interest in a twenty-something
2.5 stars. I thought Behind Her Eyes was fantastic, and I liked Cross Her Heart, but this one just didn't do it for me. I actually really enjoyed the first half or so, but after that it started to feel like such a slog and I didn't care about these people at all. If you like reading about rich people problems you might enjoy this one, but I often enjoy books along that line and couldn't get into it here. By the end I just didn't care what happened to any of these characters.

*I received a free
Katie (katieladyreads)
The only good thing about this book is that it takes place in Savannah.
Jennie
Dec 26, 2019 added it
DNF at 20%. None of the characters were likable, relatable or interesting. A very flat storyline and became a chore to read. I am not typically one to fall asleep while reading, but after 3-5 pages my eyelids would drop. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, but I hope my next NetGalley read is more entertaining.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sarah Pinborough is the NYT bestselling and Sunday Times #1 Bestselling author of 'Behind Her Eyes' which has sold in over 25 territories thus far and will be shown as a six part drama on Netflix in 2020 and the Sunday Times Bestseller, 'Cross Her Heart'. She has also written books across a variety of genres including the YA thriller 13 Minutes (in development with Netflix). Her next novel 'Dead ...more

• Little Secrets