Start by marking “Dead to Her” as Want to Read:

Dead to Her

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  5,817 ratings  ·  1,230 reviews
Marriage can be murder…

SOMETHING OLD
Marcie’s affair with Jason Maddox catapulted her into the world of the elite. Old money, old ties, old secrets. Marcie may have married into this world — but she’ll never be part of it.

SOMETHING NEW
Then Jason’s boss brings back a new wife from his trip to London. Young, attractive, reckless — nobody can take their eyes off Keisha. Includ
Published February 11th 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Dead to Her, please sign up.
K17a17s I think this is very much a psychological thriller and the erotica is just a means to the end
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Arran Dolan Yes, I have the impression that the author just wanted to finish the book and threw that in. Many parts were hard to believe.

·  5,817 ratings  ·  1,230 reviews

Start your review of Dead to Her
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WTH! My mind is spinning so hard! Did somebody hit me with a brick or a flower pot hit me in the head as I was passing through? Why I am seeing stars and “ wishing on a star” plays in my head, I don’t listen to KPop and BTS (Taking it back ! I loved their collaboration with Halsey) This is a freaking train ride that you cannot climb out or you don’t want to! If you cannot handle all those twists, surprises, more twists (oh no I don’t want to vomit but my stomach really churns! So much UTURNS and ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not compatible with the author's books anymore. Please read this one for yourself, because you may enjoy it much more than I did!

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Debra
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Well, well, well, what a tangled web we weave......

Go in as blind as you can! That's the best advice I can give for those who want to read this book. I requested this book simply because I loved Behind Her Eyes by Pinborough. I had no idea what the book was going to be about.

The basic gist from the synopsis is that beautiful Marcie Maddox knows what it is like to be the second wife, who now has a secure place in their social circle. But when their friend, William, a recent widower brings home a
megs_bookrack
Marcie is known as the hot, young, second-wife to wealthy blue-blood, Jason Maddox.

In their posh Savannah community, replete with sumptuous mansions and a country club lifestyle, image is everything.

The older, blue-blooded women in their social circle have come to accept her and even include her in their luncheons and tennis dates.

Regardless, Marcie still can't help but feel like a second class citizen around them.

Her upbringing was far from the life she enjoys now and she keeps the truth of a
Holly  B
2.5 STARS

I couldn't wait to start this newest release by the author the wrote Behind Her Eyes, which was one of my favorite thrillers in 2017.

The first half of the book was intriguing and I wanted to find out more about Keisha, who has recently married the wealthy, and older William Radford IV.  She isn't the only trophy wife in town who has recently landed a wealthy hubbie though, Marcie is now Mrs. Jason Maddox and living her best life.

When these two women meet, the past, the secrets and their
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
I was really looking forward to this book. I have heard so much about this author, I actually have her other books and haven't read them yet. I couldn't wait to dig into this one. This is going to be a weird review for me, I had so many different "feels" on this one. I can literally break it down into sections....

The first 25% I am really liking it...I am thinking that this is the foundation for a great thriller. The older rich man snagging a younger poor wife. The country club all in a tizzy an
Felicia
Feb 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
On the oof meter this book would be on the ooooooooof end. Like a run-out-of-breath type oof. The oofiest of all the oofs.

Ok let's start out with the Pros:

And now to the Cons:
The plot is sloppy
Utterly undeveloped and unlikable characters
No thrills
No chills
No mystery
Sex scenes that make EL James look like a Booker Prize winner

Next.

** Thank you to the publisher for an ARC in exchange for an honest review **
Michelle
I read Behind Her Eyes and I was one of those people that was not shocked by the unbelievable twist because the unbelievable twist was completely ridiculous to me. I remember turning the last page and feeling so unsatisfied.

So maybe it's my own fault that I requested this book knowing how I felt about her last one. This book, again, was a huge disappointment for me.

Unlikable wealthy people, gold diggers, unnecessary & cringe worthy sex scenes, and voodoo = My head hurts.

Sarah Pinborough has a
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: You can't tame a wild thing.

The thought bubbled up from some place deep down inside Marcie, a ripple in the stagnant water that had become her life. She could feel Eleanor's appraising eyes on the guests, looking down from the gilt framed portrait that still hung on the staircase wall, overshadowing them all. Dead less than a year. What would she make of this turn of events?

A hubub of quietly spoken comments from the tight circle of people among whom Marcie stood fluttered in the warm
Kaceey
2.5*
Well, one thing’s for sure.... money does NOT buy you happiness!

Rich and privileged, the blue-blooded country club patrons have a new member. William Radford’s wife passed away from cancer. While on a trip to Europe to begin healing and finding himself, William finds something far more than just peace of mind. Much more! William found himself a new bride! A very young bride. As in her early 20’s to his mid-60’s young.
The heart wants what the heart wants, right?

Enter... Keisha! And watch a
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dead to Her is my first book from author, Sarah Pinborough, and what a wild ride. It’s all about being a second wife to a man who has cheated before. Marcie is the “cheatee,” so she has an idea about her husband, Jason.

Marcie and Jason had an illicit affair to start their relationship that now involves yacht clubs and lush verandahs in Savannah, Georgia. It’s been challenging for Marcie to keep Jason invested in their relationship.

Jason’s boss then brings home a “new” second wife all the way fr
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Unfortunately, this one just didn't work for me. I was so excited to read the newest Pinborough novel, as I loved Behind Her Eyes and really enjoyed Cross Her Heart. I felt like this book suffered from a lack of focus. There were several minor plotlines happening in the book, and many of them didn't feel relevant. Even after finishing the book and understanding why they were included, I just felt like the payoff wasn't there.

The twists in this book felt minor, and it really wasn't what I was ex
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
DNF @ 27%. This is an eye-roller. Not enjoying reading about rich wives acting like high school mean girls.
Tammy
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Get ready for some juicy juju here. Staid Savannah high society isn’t an easy place to live for Marcie, the young second wife of a successful attorney. Enter the boss’s even younger, more beautiful and glamorous second wife who threatens to topple Marcie from her hard won place amid the southern blue bloods. Lies, secrets, and betrayals abound. This is highly entertaining and guano crazy.
Liz Barnsley
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another brilliantly plotted and richly layered novel from the pen of genuine genius Sarah Pinborough.

Deliciously dark, sexy as hell, eternally addictive and a pitch perfect pay off. Also creepy and a *tiny* bit insane.

There you go. You'll want this one. Trust Me. Full review for hardback edition later.

Ceecee
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is a tale of the unexpected, a danse macabre, bad juju, voodoo, black magical, diabolical, twisty, and mysterious, superstitious journey into the dizzy heights of Savannah society. Marcie is trailer trash and doing her level best to hide though you can’t help your roots and she marries up. Very up. Jason Maddox is a lawyer and a wealthy member of the Savannah social scene, he’s not exactly blue blood but he’s upwardly mobile. Jason’s partner, a recent widower William Radford IV return ...more
Michelle
Have you ever had your significant other go out of their way to place their phone face-down? What is the first thought that comes to mind?

“There is no kind of paranoid jealousy like an old rich man’s.”

“...She was a serpent in their midst. But she’d play along for now.”

There’s a new wife in town, and she is one HOT commodity. Not only is Keisha much younger at 22 then even the “newest” of the wives but she’s the only one with lusciously smooth black skin, which is alien to this community. But, it
Katie B
I am a huge fan of Sarah Pinborough. She is an exciting writer to me because she is so creative I honestly never know what I am in for when I pick up one of her books. This one was no exception and with a cast of unlikable characters it was fun to sit back and see everything unfold.

Marcie Maddox and her husband, Jason, had an affair that resulted in him leaving his first wife and eventually marrying Marcie. They hobnob with other wealthy and elite people in their town of Savannah, Georgia. One o
Susanne  Strong
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, buddy-read
2.5 Stars

Wild Thing, You Make My Heart Sting 🤭
You make Everything, Spooky!

Baawaah!!

“Dead to Her” by Sarah Pinborough started out strong and I was all in. Hooked, like a fish on a line!

Oh the drama! Wealth, High Society. Love, Marriage. INFIDELITY. Oh La La.

If only it stopped there. But alas.. I was not that lucky.

Voodoo. Black Magic and well.. I won’t spoil the surprise.. I’ll leave that for all of you who simply need to find out what all of the hype is about.

Another was a buddy read with M
Dennis
After last year's disaster, Cross Her Heart, I was highly skeptical that I'd ever read Sarah Pinborough's books again. Call me a hypocrite, because Dead to Her has brought the fire and Sarah Pinborough is back! If you enjoyed Behind Her Eyes, you'll definitely enjoy this book. While the pacing at times was slower than expected (my only issue with this book), the story was intriguing, original, and highly bingeworthy! I highly recommend this book for folks, like me, who are done with the same ...more
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love, status, money, power, affairs, voodoo, and murder set in the upper society of Savannah, Georgia in Sarah Pinborough’s latest mind-bending thriller, Dead to Her. I hate to say this, but I need to be a bit vague in this review because this one takes a direction that you won’t see coming from the outset! A must-read thriller this spring, and the perfect dark-side to love thriller for this Valentine’s Day!

This one is hard to not spoil, which is painful for me because I have so much to say! Set
Bridgett
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Having read, and enjoying, Behind Her Eyes, I knew going into Dead to Her, there would likely be some form of crazy.

I wasn't disappointed.
I know many are turned off by the odd turns Sarah Pinborough takes in her novels, but I actually find them creative and refreshing, in what has become a majorly over-saturated genre. Her writing is tight, with zero plot holes, and her red herrings are always masterfully rendered. I, unfortunately, was able to figure out our antagonist very early on, which is
Ellen Gail
Giving people a choice is like a magic trick. You should always know what their answer will be in advance.

Veering wildly between boring, ridiculous, and literally impossible, Dead to Her is a thriller that forgot the thrills.

I want to start with the positives, because honestly, there aren't many. Probably what Dead to Her executed best was the sense of outsiderness. Keisha, the very young and gorgeous second wife of an elderly millionaire, doesn't fit in - she's too young, too black, too imp
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I really wanted to like this book - and I did for the first half of it. But then came the black magic, the weird voodoo and it completely lost me. It was such a shame as I was enjoying it for the most part.

The other thing that put me off this book was the excessive and details sex scenes. Really didn't need those.

The first part of this book had me intrigued. 2 second wives - Marcie and Keisha. They are different but shared that role. Their husbands worked together so they needed to be friends.
DJ Sakata
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

Be her friend, Jason had said. Like it was that easy. Men knew nothing about the tricky waters of mutual mistrust women swam in.

It was a shark pool, and the women were the worst. Bored and half-drunk most of the time. What else was there to do but bitch, judge, and gossip about one another between charity events?

I don’t think badly of you for it, because I totally get why you did it, but if you marry a man for his money, sweetheart, you will always end up earning it.

What was it
Theresa
Feb 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I really need to stop requesting books that have beautiful covers! Ugh.

I'm sorry but "Dead to Her" is one of the most generic novels I've read in quite some time. I feel like I'm losing interest in psychological thrillers lately. I used to love this genre, what happened?

The writing was below average and the characters were artificial and vapid. It's really hard to care about entitled, rich brats. No one has any morals, it's pathetic. Apparently I need novels with a little more depth and substa
Melisa
Apr 12, 2020 added it
DNF at 23%. I enjoy this author, but this was a bit too raunchy for my taste.
Aga Durka
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
"From rags to riches" was the journey for the two main characters, Keisha and Marcie, and now that they are finally on top and they have what they wanted, status and wealth, both women are quickly discovering that being rich and “famous” does not necessarily brings security and happiness. Secrets, jealousy, and lies quickly brings Keisha and Marcie’s lives to downfall.

This was a quick read for me, however I found myself skimming some parts of this psychological thriller. The first half of the bo
ABookwormWithWine
I really enjoyed Cross Her Heart so I was excited to read Dead to Her by Sarah Pinborough as well. Unfortunately (why can't the book always be as good as the cover?) it didn't completely work for me.

It felt like a fast read but still took me over 5.5 hours which is pretty long for me for a 385-page book. Also, I don't really think it could be considered a thriller. Dead to Her is more like a drama-filled mystery about wealthy people and people with secrets they'd rather keep buried. The plot was
RoseMary Achey
Feb 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is conceivably the worst book I have ever read. Set in contemporary Savannah, GA the story centers around a group of professional wealthy men and their wives. Author Sarah Pinborough has just about everything wrong-the narrative, the mores, and culture. She is obviously writing about a world she imagines with little research or experience. Furthermore, the book is so repetitive-she says the same thing over and over and the kicker-it isn’t even correct!

I have not felt this passionately nega

• Highfire
  • Violet
  • What Rose Forgot
  • True Crime
  • Meg and Jo
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Little White Lies
  • The Second Home
  • Rewind
  • The Mother I Could Have Been
  • The Argument
  • If I Never Met You
  • The German Heiress
Sarah Pinborough is the NYT bestselling and Sunday Times #1 Bestselling author of 'Behind Her Eyes' which has sold in over 25 territories thus far and will be shown as a six part drama on Netflix in 2020 and the Sunday Times Bestseller, 'Cross Her Heart'. She has also written books across a variety of genres including the YA thriller 13 Minutes (in development with Netflix). Her next novel 'Dead T ...more

Articles featuring this book

“When had her moment come, that second when trust slid into mistrust and love cracked wide, emptying, leaving only the brittle shell?” 1 likes
“Sometimes I forget you're still pretty young......"
Yeah, she thought. Sometimes I do too.”
1 likes