Start by marking “The Mercenary Code (The Shattering of Kingdoms Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Mercenary Code (The Shattering of Kingdoms Book 1)

The Mercenary Code (The Shattering of Kingdoms Book 1)

Break the Code. Shatter the World.

Centuries ago, the murder of a beloved king tore apart the Kingdom of Caledun. The land was plunged into chaos and thousands perished in the aftermath. A new order was established in an attempt to return Caledun to its former glory. It failed, but in its place rose the beginnings of the Code.

During this same period, the mystical caretake
Kindle Edition
Published May 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Mercenary Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercenary Code

Stephen
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
thanks to netgalley and the publishers for a free copy in return for an open and honest review

this book was a slow starter but gradually picked up pace as the story went along, liked the different threads of the plot where you could see the gradual bits were going in the plot and the majority of the first book is character building and fleshing out the history of the world.
Koeur
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.4/5

Review: This novel has quite a bit going on in terms of several separate story lines that seem to slowly converge. Each story is unique as it covers the expanse of the world in which it resides. The characters that ride each story line are impeccably built as are the supporting players, each with their own unique perspectives.

The evil that lurks on the periphery is a menace that continues to exert more and more influence as the novel progresses. This slow build creates tension that
WS_BOOKCLUB
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

This book had its pros and cons. At first it moved very slowly, to the point where I got bored. There was a lot of setup, which I’m used to in this sort of fantasy book, but it was a bit of an info dump, which I was not a fan of. It felt very unnatural and was too much all at once.

However, once this book got going, it had a Tad Williams (the author of To Green Angel Tower) feel to it, in that it was a well t
Seraphia
The Mercenary Code is the beginning of an epic fantasy series by Emmet Moss. The author introduces readers to a world torn apart by war, mysterious creatures that hide in the darkness of the woods, and a forest that is ever encroaching and destroying everything in its path.
The author starts this story off with a thrilling scene set by wild animals and a man who engages in a fight that seems to spell his end because he is sorely outnumbered by enemies. Then the story shifts to other characters -
Hannah Langendoerfer
I wanted to love this book. The blurb about it sounded like a perfect fit for me. I enjoy reading about warriors with troubled pasts who are just trying to do the right thing, monsters, magic, and battles. This story has all of that. The story is there, and it is a good one. Unfortunately, the writing is not quite there. The story is slow-moving, which is fine. The author is giving you time to get acquainted with the characters and history. For me, there was too much reliance on the dialog. I fe ...more
Akshat Shah
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can honestly say I enjoyed this book. The characters are really developed, the world is diverse, and the story is interesting. I didn’t feel bored at any point and probably could have finished the book in a day if life didn’t get in the way. The one criticism I have is that I can’t read the second book in the series because it’s not out yet (I guess that’s not really a fault on this book, but I want more of the story). The second book does come out fall of this year, according to the author no ...more
Joscelyn Smith
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic fantasy

This has everything I love about great fantasy, well-written characters whose journey I can become invested in and top-notch world building. The prologue caught my attention and by the middle of chapter one I was hooked. I absolutely cannot wait to read the next book, this is keeper-shelf material for sure.

Lorena Michel
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the pace of each story in this book, I look forward to the next book to be released.

I have this book five stars, but I have to confess that the details are a little to long and I fast forward a few times, besides that an excellent book.
RABT Book Tours and PR
Tusar Mia
H. Rodrigez
David
Jun 11, 2019
Emmet Moss lives in Canada with his family and cat. He is a sports enthusiast and an avid reader of fantasy and science fiction. The Mercenary Code is the first installment of his Shattering of Kingdoms epic fantasy series. Book two, The King’s Guard, is set for release in Fall 2019.