Start by marking “The Love Story of Missy Carmichael” as Want to Read:
The Love Story of Missy Carmichael

The Love Story of Missy Carmichael

For readers of Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and A Man Called Ove, a life-affirming, deeply moving "coming-of-old" story, a celebration of how ordinary days are made extraordinary through friendship, family, and the power of forgiving yourself--at any age.

Boy meets girl. Girl meets boy. Woman meets dog...

The world has changed around Missy Carmichael. At seventy-nine,
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Love Story of Missy Carmichael, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Story of Missy Carmichael

Start your review of The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Boo hoo, waahhh… Boo hoo, argghhkk! Somebody sledgehammered my heart, broke into tiny particles and buried into ground! I’m in deep pain and whining, crying like a baby! And I’m in the mall now! Everybody’s looking for me. I know you will ask me why the hell I read the final chapters of the book in the public place if it is so devastatingly sad story.

Well, I was waiting my friends to have a lunch break. They occupied in work places so I carried this book not to get bored and do something useful
Collin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missy opens her morning paper and immediately flips to the obituaries. David Bowie has died.

“At my age, reading obituaries is a generational hazard, contemporaries dropping off, one by one; each announcement an empty chamber in my own little revolver. For a while I tried to turn a blind eye, as if ignoring death could somehow fob it off. But people kept dying and other people kept writing about it, and some perverse imp obliged me to keep up to date.”

Missy had finally made her mind up to go to
Phrynne
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
It took me a while to get into this book and I certainly had little sympathy in the beginning for Missy. All that changed however as the book progressed.

The story begins when we first meet Missy. She is 79 years old, her husband is gone, her son and family live in Australia and she has fallen out with her daughter. She is sad and lonely and not really coping. As events take over and her situation changes chapters from the past are introduced and we find out exactly how much she has to deal with.
Mandy White
Saving Missy is a book that is going to talked about a lot in 2020. It is a fantastic debut novel and I look forward to seeing what Beth Morrey has for us next. This book was a slow burn for me, it took a while for me to become fully invested in the story and characters but once I was there it was hard to put down. It did make a change from the thrillers that I usually read and I really enjoyed it - even if it did make me cry!!

Missy Carmichael is 79, lives in London and is lonely. Her children
Kylie H
Having started this book with no expectations I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Millicent "Missy' Carmichael is about to turn 80, and feeling very isolated and depressed. Through a series of events Missy soon discovers that in order to make friends she just needs to be herself and let people in.
The characters in this book are absolutely delightful. They each bring something to Missy to help her forgive herself and to mend the relationships with her two children that
Veronica ⭐️
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Missy Carmichael is an elderly widow feeling the desolate loneliness of a large empty house now that her husband is no longer with her and her two children have moved on with their lives. Son Alistair is living in Australia and keeps in touch via email but Missy is finding it hard to have anything interesting to email about. Whilst her daughter, Melanie, lives closer their relationship is strained after an argument and they very rarely have contact.

There
Jeanette Lewis
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Harper Collins Publishers and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this electronic ARC.

This is a delightful book, the demographics will mostly appeal to older readers, parents who have survived teenagers and young adults holding breath for the moment when they leave home! Ahh! the tranquility.

However, the thought of the empty nest is not a joyous one for the main character, Missy (Millicent) who is similar to those women who have given up all ideas of a career after
Marianne
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Surveying the boxes, chests and trunks - the leftovers of lost lives: Fa-Fa, Jette, my mother and father, Leo, even Alistair and Mel, since they’d begun new lives elsewhere – I fancied I could hear the echo of them all in their things.”

Saving Missy is the first novel by British author, Bath Morrey. Now that dear her son Alistair and her sweet little grandson Arthur have returned to Australia after their Christmas visit, Missy can admit to herself that she is desperately lonely. Their big house
Gloria Arthur
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching read about a relatively common issue in our society these days, being elderly and lonely. This story gives hope because you can never tell what’s around the corner!

Missy (Millicent) thought she was destined to live a lonely existence for the rest of her twilight years. Her darling husband Leo sadly isn’t with her anymore. Missy lives in their large and mostly empty house including an attic filled with fascinating things of the past and valuable pieces. It’s a home too big and lonely
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
Missy is 79 years old and lives alone in the family home she lived in with her husband. He is now gone and so have her adult kids that they raised there. It no longer looks or feels like a home. It is now just a house. She is lonely. She is very alone. She is existing.

‘Such crushing silence. It seemed like my whole life had been a cacophony, a constant buzzing and background chatter, and then Leo went and there was suddenly total and absolute stillness. Stillness, and silence and space. What I’
Ivana - Diary of Difference
I have received an ARC copy of Saving Missy by the team at LoveReading UK.
Publishing date: Spring 2020.
Heidi
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SAVING MISSY is the third book I read this year that features an older heroine (Missy is rapidly approaching 80), and I am so glad to see older people making a come-back in fiction! There is something irresistible about books that reflect back on life’s journey, and knowing that wonderful new things can still happen in the winter of your life.

If I had to sum up this book in just a few words, I would say it is about friendships, and the power of people to save each other. Missy is a woman in her
Amalie_reads
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saving Missy is a delightful, unique and heartbreaking story all in one that took me by surprise. It started a little slow for me but once I got into it I couldn’t put it down.

Missy is in her late 70’s, she lives at home by herself and is living a very lonely life and only leaves the house when absolutely necessary. She has basically given up all hope on life until one day she goes for a walk in the park and meets Sylvie and Angela and from there her life begins to take on new meaning and
Eloise
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreakingly and heartwarmingly wonderful this is a truly resonant story about love, friendship, memory, sacrifice and the aching sadness of loneliness. I devoured this book, savouring every morsel of the beautiful prose and emotionally resonant story. As the story of Missy Carmichael unfolds, alternating smoothly between past and present, an ever more complex and emotionally nuanced portrait of the titular Missy is revealed. She is a spiky, closed-off heroine, at times, like Eleanor ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘If you really want something, you hang on.’

Millicent (Missy) Carmichael is nearing 79 years of age, lonely, and alone. Her son Alistair and grandson Arthur have just returned home to Australia, she doesn’t have much contact with her daughter Melanie. Missy had devoted her life to her husband Leo and her children. Now she has time on her hands, and nothing much to do. Alone in her home with memories, Missy decides to venture out to the park. A chance meeting (or two) changes Missy’s life.

Missy
Latkins
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a moving debut novel about the life of Londoner Millicent (aka Missy) Carmichael, who is in her late 70s. Beginning in 2016, it takes us over more than year as Missy navigates her way through loneliness by making new friends and, crucially, acquiring a borrowed dog, Bobby. As she does so, she looks back at her life, from the death of her father during the war, to her time at Newnham College, Cambridge, to her marriage to Leo and her devotion to bringing up her two children, Melanie and ...more
janine
Dec 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly think after reading the reviews that I'm the only one that just didnt like this book.

The characters are stereotypical and the ending is just horrible.

I'm sorry but just not for me.

Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for the ARC.
Katie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly I want to say thank you to Harper Collins for sending me a copy of this book for review. As soon as I found out that it had been compared to Eleanor Oliphant - one of my favourite books ever - I knew that I had to give this a go.

This is a really lovely book full of heartache, sadness but also a lot of happiness. It explores the theme of loneliness in such an effective way which is a relatively common but unspoken issue in society today especially involving elderly people. Saving Missy
Hayley James
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is such a good read for someone who wants something a little 'chick lit' and not so serious but with enough emotion and angst to make it relatable and you wanting to read more.

It's heartbreaking in the right places and heart warming in others.
Written very poignantly and very relatable.

Missy has such a strong voice - there aren't many books that are written about elderly people and I think Beth Morrey got the voice and stylisation of Missy perfect. You can envision her in your head
V_Nerdbooks
Oh my goodness, I simply ADORED this story (insert heart eyes emoji here)

This is the story of Millicent Carmichael aka Missy.

Missy is 79 years old and lives alone in her large house in London, she lost her husband a few years back, and her 2 children have flown the nest, one of them to Australia, taking her grandson with them.

Missy is lonely.

She emails her son in Australia all of the time, telling him what a "lovely day" she has had, but she beefs-up the stories to make them sound more
Gill
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT a story! Loved every page of this wonderful book. Review to follow .. Missy and all your friends, I'm going to really miss you now - my mornings will be bereft without my half hour read to start the day.

Full Review:-
This is a wonderful heartfelt story of growing old, looking back on regrets in life, loneliness, making friends and growing bonds in unlikely places.

Missy is 79. With her husband gone she lives a lonely life. Her beloved son lives in Australia with her 7 year old grandson. She
Robyn
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book made me angry.

That's all I'm going to say.

Okay, also this: it is one thing to write a book with no plot, no tension, and no stakes. It's something else to write a book in which..... spoiler alert.....

spoiler alert

....you have a dog run over in the last act. It cannot be a feel good book when you run over a dog near the end. (This is not to say feel good books don't have death; my
Victoria Spicer-Stuart
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
*Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.* What a truly beautiful book about the powerful redemption that comes with friendship and dog ownership. 'Saving Missy' is reminiscent of the wildly popular 'Eleanor Oliphant' by Gail Honeyman and 'The Cactus' by Sarah Haywood. If you enjoyed either (or both) of those books, then you are in for a treat. 'Saving Missy' focuses on the incredibly empty and lonely life of Millicent Carmichael. Missy to ...more
AnnaG
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aty2020, fiction, 2020
I received an advanced proof in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a promising book with a cute dog and multiple Blackadder references, but by the end, I felt I had been mis-sold on it. It's not heart-warming or life-affirming, it's actually pretty depressing.
Nancy
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite a few books have been described as similar to Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine or A Man Called Ove. The Love Story of Missy Carmichael is one of the few books that I've come across that compares favorably to both of them. Highly recommend if you enjoyed either of those books.
Monique
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book. It was well written with believable and relatable characters whose lives I became invested in. Missy is so prickly and stand-offish when we first meet her, but over time meeting two new friends, Angela and Sylvie, who refuse to allow Missy to shut them out, releases Missy from the restrictions she’s placed on herself.

Flashbacks to earlier times in her life in Cambridge and
Louize
Jan 14, 2020 added it
Shelves: arc, 2020
Tara Russell
Review to follow. For now I'll just say I loved it.
lola.and.puki
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A poignant, heartwarming and at times heartbreaking story about love, loneliness, hope and the power of human relationships. While Saving Missy got off to a slow start, I was able to quickly find the charm in this moving novel and by the end loved it. It’s refreshing to read about a more mature main character, I found all the characters quite relatable and I thought this novel was beautifully written and an enjoyable read.

Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one started quite slow for me but I am so glad I continued on. Missy is in her late 70’s and is very lonely and depressed, existing as a recluse. As the story progressed you come to see Missy grow and slowly you begin to see some of her past unfold and your heart soars as she finds new friendships. This was a good family drama. It was sad and heartbreaking, but also uplifting and full of hope. I loved the supporting characters and their relationships, particularly the relationship Missy ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The 24-Hour Café
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Such a Fun Age
  • She
Beth Morrey was inspired to write her debut novel, Saving Missy, while pushing a pram around her local park during maternity leave. Getting to know the community of dog owners, joggers, neighbours and families, she began to sow the seeds of a novel about a woman saved by the people around her, strangers who became friends. Previously Creative Director at RDF Television, Beth now writes full time. ...more