Start by marking “Layoverland” as Want to Read:
Layoverland

Layoverland

Two teens, one stuck atoning for her sins and one destined for heaven, fall in love in purgatory in this darkly hilarious and heartfelt rom-com, perfect for fans of The Good Place.

Beatrice Fox deserves to go straight to hell. At least, that's what she thinks. On her last day on Earth, she ruined the life of the person she loves most--her little sister, Emmy. So when Bea aw
Published January 21st 2020 by Razorbill

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusA ​Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa TahirImagine Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2020
806 books — 3,012 voters
These Violent Delights by Chloe GongAll the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Outlands by Tyler Edwards
YA Debuts 2020
152 books — 619 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Layoverland
emma
this book takes place in purgatory, which is also where i have existed in a tragic half-life ever since i finished this. anyway, this was one of my favorite reads of 2020. find the full collection here: https://emmareadstoomuch.wordpress.co...

------------

I have exactly one criticism of this book, and I will get it out of the way immediately:

This takes place in purgatory (awesome). Purgatory is set up as an airport terminal in which everyone has to figure their sh*t out in order to catch their fl
Emily
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a phrase that several of my writer friends and I use--that sometimes a book is so much better than it needs to be.

This book is so much better than it needs to be.

I laughed, I cried, I contemplated making coffee jello.
Sylvie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
First anticipated book of 2020: Read ✅

The minute I read the synopsis of this book I knew I was going to read it ASAP. And the reason was because I always find it fascinating when books are about afterlife or purgatory. My obsession toward those themes began when I read The Afterlife of Holly Chase over 2 years ago and ever since I’ve been obsessed with them.

Either way this was such a cute debut novel by the author. I say cute but it was kind of depressing if you start to think deep about it. And
Emma
Well, that when downhill quickly.

2 stars // review to come (possibly?) once I get over the never-ending disappointment that is 2020
---------------------------------------------
It says "for fans of the Good Place" so I'm basically required to add it to my TBR
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
It’s true what they say: the best-sounding books have the worst executions.

Okay, maybe they don’t actually say that, but they should. Because in my experience, it’s true 95% of the time (at a conservative estimate) and this book is one of those times. It was a boring, underdeveloped snoozefest.

Seventeen-year-old Beatrice ‘Bea’ Fox has just died in a car crash. She had a very emotional last day on Earth, which featured the rupturing of her relationship with her younger sister Emmy, but th
Tijana
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
"If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching too many romcoms, it’s that if you love someone, you should always tell them before it’s too late."
"That doesn’t apply to real life."
"Well, this isn’t real life, Bea. We’re dead!"

Oh wow.
This was my most anticipated book of the year and my greatest disappointment.
I'm not calling it bad, it's just that...it sounded so good in theory! An airport purgatory! A main character who almost got sent to Hell, but given a chance to make up for being a hor
*mk*
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This book kind of touts itself as a book for fan of The Good Place, and while I think there are some similarities in terms of plot, it is lacking the same depth and strong emotions that the latter has.

Layoverland tells the story of Beatrice Fox, or Bea as she is known. The story begins with her having "ruined" the life of her younger sister and after that, in tears, she gets in a car accident and is killed. Instead of heaven/hell, she is sent to purgatory (which here, resembles an airport) and
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
"'Jenna, do you understand where we are? This isn’t sleep-away camp. This isn’t high school. This isn’t some prom with an ironic theme of ‘crappy airport’. Now is not the time for meeting boys and having fun. This is some serious existential stuff, okay? We’re dead.'"

3.5/5

Some things I love: unique books about the afterlife, airports. Yep that's a good list.
So Layoverland was perfect for me. Purgatory is an airport and people must confront their pasts to move on to Heaven, or whatever glorious
lily ☁️
I love The Good Place, but I don’t always like it. And that is pretty much how I feel about this book, but on a smaller scale.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Vee
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish

Layoverland was a book I really couldn't put down. It's an old cliche but compared with other recent read, I couldn't stop thinking about it and went out of my way to read it, finishing it way faster than I expected. I love stories about people trapped in places and seeing how they cope with the unfamiliar surroundings and the choices they make.

Bea finds herself stranded in an airport with other people who have died and are passing through, after a brutal car
Stacee
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the cover and sucked in by the synopsis and I couldn’t wait to read this one.

I really liked Bea and Caleb. She’s aggressive and maybe a bit hard hearted, but I truly loved reading her unravel her emotions and grow as a character. He seems sweet and unassuming and the conversation between the two of them was interesting. I also really liked Sadie and Jenna and how they tried to make the best of everything.

Plot wise, it was super unique to me. I loved this idea and the executi
Alex Johnson
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
It seems odd to call a book about the afterlife "light" and "easy to read" and "delightful," but Layoverland was all of those things. I can't remember a book actually made me laugh out loud (twice!), but this one did with its a-hole with a heart of gold protagonist Bea and a motley crew of side characters populating this airport purgatory. I loved Bea's character development and the evolution of her relationships with the people around her, and the setting was fun to explore for a little bit. It ...more
Princess  Peach
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Kids today are so lucky to have Gabby Noone writing for them. I want the coffee jello though.
Nikki
Jan 31, 2020 added it
Shelves: disliked, arcs
All of the characters in this book are psychopaths. I don’t know how I made it out alive.
gaby
Jan 29, 2021 rated it liked it
layoverland was actually a really fun book! i think it's best described as a mix between the good place , soul (the disney movie) and a nice little dash of the afterlife of holly chase .

the idea and execution were spot-on, and i was hesitant about this book that it would ultimately flop but it did a really good job! it was funny, entertaining, and ultimately heartwarming and the messages shone through beautifully.

i think bea was kind of an annoying character, and as much as her considerabl
talia ♡
okay, i am OBSESSED!! oh my god! fantastic characters, fantastic plot, funny as hell, made me cry etc. etc...fellas, it has EVERYTHING!
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was an absolute delightful surprise.

I finished it in a day. I am going to be honest I downloaded it when I read about it being one of the main books of January or something like that... but I was a little unsure about the life after death aspect.

MAN. This book was so good. I loved the character development.

I loved the characters. I love how real they felt, cause let's face it... most people are okay...but die with unresolved crap... so what if you died and you needed to help people
Lisa
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, arc
This was weird? And good. A good weird. Bea is definitely a character who might be tough to read at first, but you see very quickly what really matters to get and how someone like her develops into being.

The food was disgustingly interesting - Jell-O-cased everything. And the side characters were interesting and flashed out.

My only wish would be for a bit more action in the middle - certain things have to be set up but things dragged a bit during that time.

Laugh out loud funny and deep all at
Colin
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as to-borrow
THIS IS FOR FANS OF THE GOOD PLACE??

*SCREAMS FOR ETERNITY*
Natalie
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bea is dead. It pretty much sucks. Especially considering the fact that angry lifestyle led to her nearly being sent straight to hell.

But she's got a shot to make things right in purgatory. All she has to do is help 5,000 lost souls find their way to heaven.

Purgatory is 70s style airport where everything is orange and the food is all in jello molds. It's gonna be a great couple of decades. No books, no TV, no internet, just a bunch of semi-good people.

One of her first cases is Caleb. He looks
Kerry
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun and funny while also being about, well, death. I couldn't put it down and I LOVED IT. If "a recurring joke about Train's 'Hey Soul Sister'" speaks to you (it does to me), then hopefully you'll find this book as hilarious as I did. ...more
Christina
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Interesting premise spoiled by the petulant brat narrator’s unending tantrums . All of that could’ve been dialed back by half and still made a compelling story... instead, I just found myself rolling my eyes every time she started raging again.
orangerful
I was struggling to read anything during this time in quarantine but I found myself actually going to bed on time so I could read 'Layoverland' so how's that for a big thumbs up?

This book was far better than it had any right to be - full of humor and heart. That same humor about death and the afterlife of shows like 'Dead Like Me' and 'The Good Place' but with a young adult twist that I think works better since being 18 and being self-centered and a little awful is par for the course?

Really qu
Marie
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020-releases
Ahh I had a lot of fun with this one. Loved the flawed, sarcastic main character and her growth, love the originality of it all. Definitely will be looking forward to reading more from the author :)
Full review coming soon!

Thank you to Penguin Random House International for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Susie
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This was fun and cute. It was recommended as a readalike to one of my favorite TV shows, The Good Place.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book-2020, 2020

I loved this story! It was witty, snarky, funny, engaging, and thought provoking. Highly recommend!
♡ kirsten pearl ♡
This was a wacky concept. Although a bit repetitive. Which of course, its purgatory.

So we follow Bea, a majorly imperfect person who could be described as guarded and skeptical towards others. Overall negative. It's only after she dies and lands in the airport/purgatory that she evolves into a better person.

We get to meet a bunch of characters in the airport as Bea becomes a Memory-Experience agent who basically helps people admit to their life's regrets and move on from purgatory to heaven. Th
Lena
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like someone's been watching The Good Place! But like, sleeping through all the best parts and not really paying attention. This is such a fantastic concept for a book, but I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed at the execution. I'm leaning towards a 2.5 rating.

Beatrice was pretty fucking annoying and was written as a caricature of a teenage SJW, but then again, maybe that was the point? She's definitely meant to be a bitch since she almost got sent to hell, but she's pushing it, man. I wou
Jackie
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who do I have to bribe to get an epilogue?

“Layoverland” follows Bea as she tries to navigate her new reality following a car crash that left her in purgatory that takes the shape of an airport terminal and a new job helping souls cross over to make up for her misdeeds when one such soul is someone she recognizes as the person who killed her and she’ll stop at nothing to make his life hell before he has the chance to reach Heaven.

It’s not lost on me that I finish the book on the very day I will
Tatum Bowen
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start! I've been wanting to read this book for so long and when I got it I was sooooo excited, and I was not let down. As soon as I began reading it was easy to see the sarcastic humor, but it was also a note that recognized how important it is to reflect, if you know what I mean. As a 16 year-old myself, this book was relatable and I understood every reference, which was freaking fantastic; sometimes I read YA books and I can tell an old person wrote it, but Layoverla ...more

• The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • In the Dream House
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Faker
  • Guts (Smile, #3)
  • Our Stop
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • The Deep
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle #1)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Birthday
  • Little Weirds
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames, #6)
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

Recent events have been especially tough on debut authors, with bookstores closed and book tours canceled. So we're rounding up a list of hit...