Start by marking “Layoverland” as Want to Read:
Layoverland

Layoverland

Two teens, one stuck atoning for her sins and one destined for heaven, fall in love in purgatory in this darkly hilarious and heartfelt rom-com, perfect for fans of The Good Place.

Beatrice Fox deserves to go straight to hell. At least, that's what she thinks. On her last day on Earth, she ruined the life of the person she loves most--her little sister, Emmy. So when Bea
Published January 21st 2020 by Razorbill

All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana  UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Loop by Ben   OliverA Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown
YA Debuts 2020
121 books — 344 voters
Untitled by Sarah J. MaasThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsUntitled by Leigh BardugoOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusChain of Gold by Cassandra Clare
YA Novels of 2020
719 books — 1,755 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Layoverland
emma
hey if this book isn't on your radar you are making a BIG MISTAKE.

HUGE, even.

review to come / 5 stars (i think)

------------

couldn't think of a better place to read this, a book about a world in which purgatory is an airport, than while waiting for my plane
Emily
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a phrase that several of my writer friends and I use--that sometimes a book is so much better than it needs to be.

This book is so much better than it needs to be.

I laughed, I cried, I contemplated making coffee jello.
Sylvie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
First anticipated book of 2020: Read

The minute I read the synopsis of this book I knew I was going to read it ASAP. And the reason was because I always find it fascinating when books are about afterlife or purgatory. My obsession toward those themes began when I read The Afterlife of Holly Chase over 2 years ago and ever since I’ve been obsessed with them.

Either way this was such a cute debut novel by the author. I say cute but it was kind of depressing if you start to think deep about it. And
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
It’s true what they say: the best-sounding books have the worst executions.

Okay, maybe they don’t actually say that, but they should. Because in my experience, it’s true 95% of the time (at a conservative estimate) and this book is one of those times. It was a boring, underdeveloped snoozefest.

Seventeen-year-old Beatrice ‘Bea’ Fox has just died in a car crash. She had a very emotional last day on Earth, which featured the rupturing of her relationship with her younger sister Emmy, but things
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I've seen this pitched as perfect for fans of The Good Place, and I am a huge fan of that show so I am very intrigued. Yet also reasonably skeptical, because those are big shoes to try and fill. But I am willing to give this a chance =)
Stacee
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the cover and sucked in by the synopsis and I couldn’t wait to read this one.

I really liked Bea and Caleb. She’s aggressive and maybe a bit hard hearted, but I truly loved reading her unravel her emotions and grow as a character. He seems sweet and unassuming and the conversation between the two of them was interesting. I also really liked Sadie and Jenna and how they tried to make the best of everything.

Plot wise, it was super unique to me. I loved this idea and the
Vee_Bookish
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish

Layoverland was a book I really couldn't put down. It's an old cliche but compared with other recent read, I couldn't stop thinking about it and went out of my way to read it, finishing it way faster than I expected. I love stories about people trapped in places and seeing how they cope with the unfamiliar surroundings and the choices they make.

Bea finds herself stranded in an airport with other people who have died and are passing through, after a brutal car
Princess  Peach
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Kids today are so lucky to have Gabby Noone writing for them. I want the coffee jello though.
Lisa
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020
This was weird? And good. A good weird. Bea is definitely a character who might be tough to read at first, but you see very quickly what really matters to get and how someone like her develops into being.

The food was disgustingly interesting - Jell-O-cased everything. And the side characters were interesting and flashed out.

My only wish would be for a bit more action in the middle - certain things have to be set up but things dragged a bit during that time.

Laugh out loud funny and deep all at
Kerry
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so fun and funny while also being about, well, death. I couldn't put it down and I LOVED IT. If "a recurring joke about Train's 'Hey Soul Sister'" speaks to you (it does to me), then hopefully you'll find this book as hilarious as I did.
Marie
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020-releases
Ahh I had a lot of fun with this one. Loved the flawed, sarcastic main character and her growth, love the originality of it all. Definitely will be looking forward to reading more from the author :)
Full review coming soon!

Thank you to Penguin Random House International for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Rachel Davies
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
extremely excited about this one. we have to get the hot serpent from Riverdale (now dead) in the role of Caleb!
Cheska the Great is Not Okay
Oct 23, 2019 marked it as to-buy-soon
THIS IS FOR FANS OF THE GOOD PLACE??

*SCREAMS FOR ETERNITY*
*mk*
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This book kind of touts itself as a book for fan of The Good Place, and while I think there are some similarities in terms of plot, it is lacking the same depth and strong emotions that the latter has.

Layoverland tells the story of Beatrice Fox, or Bea as she is known. The story begins with her having "ruined" the life of her younger sister and after that, in tears, she gets in a car accident and is killed. Instead of heaven/hell, she is sent to purgatory (which here, resembles an airport) and
Storiesandcoffee
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Razorbill for the advanced copy. All opinions are my own.

If you're a fan of The Good Place listen up...Layoverland is just the book for you.

When seventeen-year-old Bea dies in a car accident, she is shocked to find out she isn't entering heaven or hell. She is sentenced to purgatory in an airport-like dimension with the task of helping 5,000 people move on to heaven before she, herself, can move on too.

With Bea's no-nonsense attitude, forcing people to get to the root of what is
Nikki (Book Allure)
All of the characters in this book are psychopaths. I don’t know how I made it out alive.
Tatum Bowen
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't even know where to start! I've been wanting to read this book for so long and when I got it I was sooooo excited, and I was not let down. As soon as I began reading it was easy to see the sarcastic humor, but it was also a note that recognized how important it is to reflect, if you know what I mean. As a 16 year-old myself, this book was relatable and I understood every reference, which was freaking fantastic; sometimes I read YA books and I can tell an old person wrote it, but ...more
Gina Adams
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This concept was great and it was fun to read. I have severe death anxiety and this story was able to soothe that some by presenting the afterlife as something just as monotonous and frustrating as real life.

The feelings in this book were realistic. Like, the stages of grief but a person grieving themselves. There was plenty of humor and some deep moments too.

However the ending of this book just left me feeling incomplete. It makes sense for someone to have gone through dying and heal enough to
Ilhaam
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-arcs
ARC REVIEW

let me start with WOW. this whole book. the whole idea. the characters. CALEB. everything. so perfect.
when I started reading Layoverland back in December I was in a slump. and i had a lot of work. and then i started it and i finished in two days because it was literally phenomenal. and i had so many feels.
Layoverland is about Beatrice Fox, who just died and now has found herself on an airplane where she gets told that she has to move souls along to heaven before she can get there
Sarai Davila
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dark humor is where I reside. My mom died two years ago of cancer, but you would hardly have known how hard that was for myself and my siblings and dad based on the way we were giggling like madmen on a phone call the day of. We couldn't stop telling funny anecdotes about her. We were healing, and coping, and doing it by making tons of irreverent jokes. It's who we are. Those darn Davilas.

Noone's young adult novel about life after death is bleak. It's about a bunch of dead people wanting to get
Judy Beetem
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The preliminary description was intriguing and I was fortunate to receive an ARC to read the entire book. Gabby Noone has created a unique plot, with interesting characters and a story that was so well-paced that I stayed up all night to finish it. Beatrice Fox is an angry seventeen-year old who is involved in a fatal car accident. When she wakes up, it is on a plane full of other passengers as it touches down in a seemingly random airport. Soon we find out that Bea is in ...more
Amy
Many thanks to EdelweissPlus and the publisher for providing me with a DRC of this title for review. All opinions are my own.

OK-I'll just say it. I loved this book. I was not expecting to, and I really just wanted to read it on a whim, but man oh man was it good. This is a laugh out loud, darkly humorous look at what would happen if the afterlife happened to consist of a third option besides Heaven and Hell. And that purgatory was an extended layover at the airport.

Bea dies in a car crash. The
Mel (ReadUntilTheLastPage)
"Letting yourself feel angry doesn’t make you an angry person. It just makes you a person who’s honest with herself."

If you liked The Afterlife of Holly Chase or The Good Place, then this is a book you need to add to you TBR!

This is a great example of a book that wasn’t what I was expecting but surprised me in the best way possible. The tone of the writing style really worked for me & had me laughing out loud a good couple times.

I will say the only thing that didn’t work for me as
Meghan
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from PENGUIN GROUP Penguin Young Readers Group - Razorbill in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I really enjoyed this book because it was all about Bea not only getting a second chance to get to heaven but doing the hardest thing for anyone, helping the person that killed you in the first place. Bea can never forgive herself for ruining the life of her sister Emmy. While helping Caleb (the boy who
Lun (-_-✿)
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel so stupid to feel like I owe a character of a book an apology.
Initially, Bea starts off to be this whiny ass bitch who in my opinion should be glad that she's in purgatory to amend her damned soul, basically her outlook on life and how she's just stuck within her own world. I was about to rate this book 2ish stars then comes Caleb and Jenna and they took the ratings one star higher since I really love these two characters.

I pushed myself through the book and in the near end, I really
Margaret Schoen
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a review of an ARC from Edelweiss.

After a terrible fight with her sister (and best friend) Beatrice ends up in a car accident, and well, dies. But she's not in Heaven (and she's not in Hell). Instead she's stuck at an airport somewhere in between, with all the other folk who need to let something go before they can continue on their journey. Beatrice's task is to help them on their way - once she's helped a certain number, she'll have atoned for her life and be ready to move on herself.
Ab
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book, and my first thought: Adorable. But also: Hilarious. I laughed out loud multiple times reading this book, which is not entirely common. The author has an amazing knack for explaining something with such perfect, sarcastic clarity, that you just can't help but let out an audible guffaw. The entire premise of the book is just awesome - I love "Afterlife-As-A-Boring-Place" situations (Oh hey, "Dead Like Me"!) and incredibly sarcastic, quick-witted female protagonists (Oh ...more
Shannon
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
For a book that kind of focuses on death this was a fun read. It's definitely a good one to hand to fans of The Good Place or looking for a quirky read. I'd actually pair this one with Libba Bray's Going Bovine. I loved all of the characters, even Bea. I'm LOLing at all the reviewers on Goodreads complaining that she gets needlessly political. They totally missed that Bea's whole thing is political. Being political is a core tenant of who she is. I feel bad for her because she never got the ...more
Katie Mac
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
After reading a less-than-stellar YA book with fantasy elements, this one was a treat with its unique premise--a sort of "medium place" (for those that watch The Good Place) with opportunity for advancement.

I really liked Bea--she's snarky in a realistic way, and Noone is clear to give her some emotional development and depth. The alternation between past and present was constructive rather than confusing, and it added to this character development. In a different way, I also loved Caleb; it
Emily
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Advance copy provided by NetGalley

I liked this OK. It’s the kind of weird thing I usually go for, and I hadn’t read a YA novel in a while. I liked the idea of purgatory as an airport, and Caleb and Jenna were sweet characters. It was a quick read, and the pre-death and post-death unknowns kept me turning pages.
I think my lukewarm feelings are mostly because, for most of the book, it was hard to live in Bea’s head. Figuring she was on a redemptive path didn’t make it easier to take the hateful,
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Just Breathe
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Tweet Cute
  • Three Things I Know Are True
  • We Used To Be Friends
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Sin Eater