Start by marking “Hideaway” as Want to Read:
Hideaway

Hideaway

A family ranch in Big Sur country and a legacy of Hollywood royalty set the stage for Nora Roberts’ emotional new suspense novel.

Caitlyn Sullivan, a daughter of Hollywood royalty, was already a star at ten, but still loved to play hide-and-seek with her cousins at the family home in Big Sur. It was during one of those games that she disappeared.

Despite her glamorous
Hardcover, UK, 352 pages
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Hideaway, please sign up.
Brenda It's not published until May 26th 2020.

Start your review of Hideaway
MAB  LongBeach
More suspense than romance--although it's a satisfying romance--and more of a family story than either.

Cate Sullivan's life changed when she was kidnapped as a child. Her mother's continuing betrayal shapes her life, as does her remaining, close-knit family, and the good friends who helped her. After a number of false starts, she finds her place--and true love.

Recommended.
Tonya
Suspense and romance wrapped up in a finding yourself novel that kept my interest. The whole family was super interesting - each family member had its own share of secrets and mystery..the kind of person you want as a friend and the type of person you want to spend more time with.
Kmleeh
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is another strong entry in the Nora Roberts collection of stories. Once again, Roberts proves she knows how to create and build families and settings. I absolutelyl loved reading about the Sullivan family and Dillon's family ranch. She details each setting and character so well, you are drawn into them. The only thing keeping this work from a ten is that the romance portion of the book was weak. It doesn't come in until towards the end and feels a bit too easy and predictable. The end of ...more
Sallie
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss+ for an advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review.

First I have to say that I love Nora Roberts. I've read most of her books. Hideaway was not a disappointment at all. The story starts out with the kidnapping of Cate at the age of 10 at a Sullivan family get together. It follows Cate through her life as she deals with the day she was kidnap and who was behind the kidnapping. The trauma that happened after the terrifying ordeal.

What I found interesting about
Jackie
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. It was disappointing. Mostly a YA book. Many confusing sentences. They could have used some commas or an extra word or two. Very long and slow.
CatBookMom
Feb 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
Feb 1, 2020 - FWIW, I find NR's most-recent standalone novels to be hit-or-miss for me, so they've long since stopped being auto-buy books. Still waiting for one to bowl me over as The Witness did, and still does. Her 2017 entry Come Sundown was a not-as-good repeat of Montana Sky, with much more violence.

However, NR just published the first chapter of the upcoming Hideaway (https://fallintothestory.com/wp-conte...) - don't know how long the link will work. And I've joined the Recommended/queue
Lisa
I've been reading Nora Roberts' books for decades now and in all that time I have never read something she's written that I didn't like. I haven't loved them all, but I think she consistently puts out solid well crafted stories that I enjoy reading- 'Hideaway' was that for me.
The book falls into the suspense/romantic suspense genre and follows the life of Caitlyn Sullivan from the time she was 10 years old and was kidnapped from a family gathering, up into her late 20s. The plot was good and I
Jessi
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Caitlyn "Cate" Sullivan comes from Hollywood royalty. Her great-grandfather, grandfather, her dad, her entire family are actors. She herself started acting at twenty-one months. Now, at ten, the drama of the screen has become real life. Caitlyn has been kidnapped. She manages to free herself (already a kickass heroine!) and is helped by a boy named Dillon. Once she gets home, she helps unmask the people who plotted to get ten million dollars from the Sullivan family.
We get to see more of Cate as
Dianne
2.5 stars rounded up.

I went into this book with high hopes and I was happy and I stayed that way for maybe the first 1/4 of the book. The crime itself was clever and the reason's for it, well, cliched but they are cliches for a good reason sometimes!

After that Hideaway became an over-cliched mess of repetition, oh poor me's, underdeveloped characters and overstuffed with useless descriptions (of land, house, clothes, etc.) that didn't help the story along one little bit -it was just filler. And
Nicole Toft
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Romance. Intrigue. Generational family saga. Incredible settings. Warm, vibrant and relatable characters. Nora does it again!
Shawna
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this wonderful suspense and romantic book.
Danielle
So.. I've just finished reading my advanced reader copy of Hideaway, courtesy of a Goodreads giveaway, thank you Goodreads, and I can say with all honesty I will definitely be reading this book again. And while I can't say it's my favorite Nora Roberts read, it was definitely an enjoyable one.

Like several of Nora's other books, like The Witness and The Obsession, and most similarly Public Secrets, this book spans the years from child to adult with the Heroine and the Hero and I enjoyed watching
Sheila Holmes
Jan 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
1.5 stars.
DNF.

I read only about 30 pages, when I realized I could go no further. While the plot parameters were being laid out, I was so excited, because it appeared the story was going to really be something special... suspenseful, thrilling, and one of those books I was going to have to sacrifice any and all housecleaning duties for days until it was finished.

Unfortunately, once the setup was over, and the "real" story began, the language became immediately filthy... really filthy. I was aware
Stephanie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the Giveaway from St Martin's Press.

I did enjoy this book. I liked how it was a little different than other Nora Roberts books. This book follows Caitlyn Sullivan throughout 20 or so years of her life. I liked how we saw her at different stages and were able to grow with her as she grew up.

This book shows how Caitlyn (Cate) has had to overcome a traumatic experience when she was 10 years old and how it affects her life as teenager, young adult and an adult.

This book is
Sherri Lewis
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Cate Sullivan was playing hide-and-seek with her cousins at her Grandfather's house when she is kidnapped. She escapes from the kidnappers and they are caught, including their accomplice... her mother. Once her mother gets out of prison she begins harrassing Cate and setting up fake public attempts to win her forgiveness. One of the two kidnappers is also having his own revenge from behind bars, systematically making each person pay for putting him in prison.
I usually love her books, and I
Jenn
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, arc
At ten years old, Cate was already an actor in a family full of Hollywood royalty. But when she's kidnapped from a family gathering at their private estate in Big Sure, the trajectory of her life is going to be changed forever.

Roberts blends heavy amounts of both suspense and romance in this saga of family and trauma. I loved reading how this story all came together.

I haven't read a lot of Nora Roberts for quite a while, other than Year One. But in the past, it was more of the ones that were
Natalie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received an ARC courtesy of the publisher via Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

I liked the story overall. I agree with other reviewers that it was more of a suspense tale than a romance. It seemed to follow a pattern of Nora Robert's more recent stand-alones. Trauma in childhood. A glimpse at middle years. Then a large portion devoted to a period of time in adulthood where things get resolved.

(view spoiler)
Jennifer Fatula
I won an ARC as part of a Goodreads giveaway. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.

This was not my favorite Nora Roberts book, I think she has written many other better books, but it was still entertaining and kept me engaged in the story. One of my issues was that there was so much character build up in the beginning (which was great) but the ending seemed...abrupt. The climax happened about 2 or 3 pages before the end; it was almost as if she came up to a deadline and just had to finish it. There isn't a
Tracy
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received the digital copy from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

As with Ms. Roberts’ book Shelter in Place, Hideaway takes place over a course of many years. While I liked nearly all of the the book, the ending fell a little flat. I would have also liked Aidan’s character to have a little more depth after Charlotte, as well.

I love how she created two families with strong ties: the Sullivans, who regardless of fame and fortune, drop everything when one is in need and the Coopers, who
Genny
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, t-2020
This won't be published until the end of May, making it the perfect summer beach read! I won an ARE (thank you GoodReads Giveaways) making it a fun book to read on icy cold days dreaming of beach weather.

It's Nora Roberts doing what she does best. An intricate family tale, with good vs bad. Of course good wins out at the end, with several reminders throughout to be kind to one another, family matters, and that a hearty homemade meal is a wonderful thing for both body and soul.

Put this on your
Exanimis
I received Hideaway through a Goodreads giveaway.

I entered this giveaway because I recognized the name Nora Roberts from many posts on goodreads and I wanted to try a new author. I don't normally read romance books but the synapsis sounded interesting enough so based on the authors name I decided to enter the giveaway.
I devoured this book!
There was enough mystery, from beginning to end to hold my attention and keep me interested. Nora Roberts has a crisp clear writing style the made this an easy
Traann
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one book that really had me engaged and excited to see how it turned out. I love that it was suspense based with some romance mixed in but it was the "who done it" that keep in enthralled. I won this ARC from Goodreads and was so happy to do so. If you love Nora Roberts or suspense filled books, then you will love this one too. I do wish there was a little bit more to the story but with out giving anything away, I can't say what I missed but if you read the book, I think you will figure ...more
Pam
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advance readers' copy in exchange for my honest review. I've had many of the Nora Roberts series on my to-read list, and was happy to have an excuse to read one of her standalone novels. Hideaway was a good blend of suspense and romance for me (more on the suspense side), and I enjoyed following Cate's life. I'm not sure if this will be developed into a series, but I can imagine there are quite a few more books' worth of Sullivan stories.

Thank you for the complimentary copy,
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-good
If you are looking for an exciting, suspenseful read, this is it! The book starts with Caitlyn, a child actress, playing hide and seek. She gets kidnapped but manages to escape. This traumatic experience has scarred her but she manages to overcome her pain and continue acting. BUT years later things come back to haunt her. It is really hard to describe the plot without giving anything away but this is really good romantic suspense.
Dana
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book with a combo of suspense and Romance with a bit of a family saga thrown in! Another amazing tale from Nora Roberts. The story line develops quickly and keeps your interest till the end. I highly recommend this for fans of suspense and/or romance. Fans of Nora Roberts will recognize her writing and will love it, new fans to Roberts will be sucked in for a great story!
Rick Molitor
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story teller. This is the story of Caitlin Sullivan, a Hollywood royalties daughter, who is kidnapped at 10 years old and manages to escape and be rescued. Then she pieces together that her mother was working with the kidnappers to get 10 million from the family. The story follows Caitlin as she tries, with the help of her father and his family to put her life together. It is a well written story that moves quickly and holds your interest as you root for Caitlin as she faces the ...more
Lindsey
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Old Hollywood legacies, murder mystery, animal-loving hot guy love interest— checked a lot of boxes for me. Found it a little weird how often “Coke” was the specified drink (like literary product placement).
Christine Moore
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Nora Roberts is the queen of romantic suspense! This is another good book that has lots of good characters, beautiful scenery, and lots of twists and turns. I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
John Mckeel
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellence book, keeps you interested all the way through. More of a thriller, romance book than a mystery and the whole Sinclair family is almost too perfect. However the story keeps you wanting to see what is going to happen and how it will end.
Melinda Mckenzie
Nora Roberts did it again. You won't want to put the book down. You get to know each of the characters and how one main incident affects someone for life. There are a few twist and surprises in the story.
Some romance and intrigue in Caitlyn's life.
Nora Roberts Grou...: * Hideaway (May 26, 2020) 17 41 1 hour, 10 min ago

• Good Girls Lie
  • The Invited
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • He Started It
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Candy Cane Caper (Culinary Mystery, #13)
  • Murder with Cherry Tarts (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #4)
  • The Grace Year
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Here and Gone
  • Outmatched
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)