Start by marking “A Stranger In Skoria” as Want to Read:
A Stranger In Skoria

A Stranger In Skoria

(Skoria #1)

Jason Vale has just been unceremoniously dumped by his long-time boyfriend, and decides he could use a change of scenery; what he gets instead is a change of world. After setting out on a road trip to 'find himself', he barely gets a mile before a freakish storm sets him down on a tundra of silver grass with a alien sky overhead. This world is called Skoria, and it soon tu ...more
Published May 10th 2019 (first published December 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger In Skoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stranger In Skoria

Start your review of A Stranger In Skoria
Dreamer
3.5 stars. Enjoyable m/m sci-fi novella, great original plot but lacking depth. Librarian Jason Vale is caught in a cataclysmic storm and falls through a wormhole (probably) and finds himself on the world of Skoria. He is enslaved by the Aedar Rictus, an alien pirate with a cyborg arm and eye with whom he develops a telepathic link.

'Hesitantly he reached out his hand to me but stopped short of touch. "You have to understand. You are not just my first claimed property, Jason Vale. You are my fir
Vivian
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fr, fantasy, romance-scifi
Freakadelic! This was a cool twist on space-time travel. I had some doubts briefly with the set up starting in a contemporary setting, but after the worm hole transfer the story stayed beautifully coherent in the new world, Skoria.

Jason stumbles into Skoria and is claimed property by the captain of Ugly Rumor. He knows straight off that he's not in Kansas anymore from the surroundings and the oddity of the crew members. Most peculiar is Aedar, a terrifying mammoth of a cyborg. While Skoria is ju
Simsala
3,5 stars

Colorful S/F novella that was too short to really leave an impression.
But writing and worldbuilding were good and it made me curious to read the authors novel Forest Of Glass...
⚣Michaelle⚣
I don't know why this is rated so low, cumulatively. I really liked it. Yeah, it's a little bit Insta, but given the mental connection that doesn't seem a problem; if anything Aedar's loss of this extra sense (when Uldor gouged out the eye that allows for "mindspeak") makes it more likely that someone finally being able to communicate with him this way would be an incredibly emotional experience. (Imagine having your ability to to hear, or use touch to navigate the world violently ripped from yo ...more
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Not bad fantasy about a guy who gets dumped, then ends up thrown into a different world during a storm. He finds himself as the Captain's pet. They share a mind-link which the Captain is not supposed to be able to have, which gives them a closer connection. Their feelings grow and he ends up staying on Skoria at the Captain's side.

The world of Skoria and its inhabitants seemed to be lacking some detail, but you can figure out enough to keep up. Interested to see where this is going next.
Rachel
John Tristan's Skoria (2 book series) are on sale for 99c each via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07... ...more
Ed Davis
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, but short. I loved the relationship between Captain Aedar and Josh. There is a second book which I plan to read, but this is not a cliffhanger. It has a satisfying ending.
Elizabetta

Oh, my, this is an interesting blend of steampunky, scifi adventure. Jason finds himself magically transported, on the wings of an electrical storm, to the strange alien world, Skoria. Captured and enslaved by the hybrid mechanical man, Aedar, this has a bit of the flavor of Oz.

I enjoyed reading Jason’s adventures in Skoria, limited though they be. This one read a little differently than Tristan's Forest of Glass, The Adorned, The Peacock Prince, and The Sheltered City, though. Not quit
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
2.5

It wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't anything special at all, despite the quite original sounding world building. It's dubbed sci-fi, but it isn't as complicated or hard to follow as some usually are, so it's a nice and simple read.

There was one quirk which I wasn't sure if it wasn't well thought out by the author, or I just didn't get it (being the non-intellect I am).

The romance was, well, neh. The story line wasn't really a story line and was rather lacking in substance on a whole, but it's
Mary
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
2.5 Stars
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

First off, I chose to review this story because I loved the premise. Aliens, romance on a whole new world, cyborgs, and elements of BDSM. Sounds like it’d be right up my alley. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be so.

I will say that I quite enjoyed the writing style. Told in first person from Jason’s point of view, the writing was very clean, and had enough description for me to really build up an image of the world in my mind without bogging the story d
Nikyta

There were some parts of this story I really liked but ultimately I found it hard to enjoy this one. I liked the way that Jason and Aedar were connected through their mind-link. There are foreign words thrown in that you don't know the meaning of but more than that, I think this story lacks details that would have made it more enjoyable. Since the world isn't very descriptive, I was left mostly confused and frustrated.

I liked the concept of the world and also their transportation (thin
Meggie
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This story doesn't have a meaning. In overall it has a really pointless plot. I missed everything, for starters some basic informations about what happened to Jason. And then the sentence "By the ancient law of conquest, I claim you as my own Jason Vale", is ridiculous. I won't even mention sex between them, or supposed mind link between Jason and Aedar, nothing made sense. Maybe if the storyline wouldn't be so rushed and fast paced, It would be more acceptable, but I simply can't.
V
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t usually read sci-fi, it can be too complicated, however, this story was very easy to follow and I loved the plot.
Perhaps some of you, will have some issues about the length, for me, it was just right.
I loved the two main characters and a sequel would be great.
Maya
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars This was very interesting and I would have liked it to have been longer with more detail.
Emily
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of promise, but just didn't quite deliver. An okay read, but not something I'll re-read. Would have benefited from more development and length.
Katherine
This book was alright, though I found that first half rather unbelievable and almost didn't stick it through. I'm glad that I did finish it in the end.

Jason's boyfriend just broke-up with him and he moved out and took some vacation to figure things out. Instead he ends up in a Wizard of Oz type storm and finds himself on an entirely different planet, Skoria. There he is taken as a slave by Captain Aedar, and herein lay my disbelief. Jason is perfectly fine with being taken as a slave. He freaks
Micha
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I just couldn't. I suppose for me it started off on the wrong foot. I didn't like the MC right off the bat and couldn't sympathise with him over the opening breakup scene. There wasn't enough buildup, not enough reasoning and explanation. And after that, not much happened that kept my interest or attention. Of all Tristan's work, I enjoy The Adorned the most. This one is not even close. ...more
Hurlingturtles
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting!

This was really good! It was well-written with vaguely eerie quality that most sci-fi romances don’t have. The main character, Jason, felt very realistic and the captain of the ship that captures him was dark and mysterious but with glimpses of softness that made him much more palatable. I was a little afraid this book would lean into dubcon territory but it didn’t really. The only thing that I’m left wondering is why Jason suddenly had the mind-reading when on the other planet.
Samantha
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great in some ways...

In some ways this was a great story. Pretty good world building, good character building and a really interesting plot concept. The sex scenes were frequent (but not long) and very hot.

It really fell short though overall. Just too little. No real conflict and there were a million ways to do that. Their relationship could have been real and organic but it wasnt really. It could have been though, I would have LOVED a bit more time with those two for them to really flesh out th
Trix
Ilona
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this had a lot of things that attract me to a story it just didn't seem to deliver what I was looking for. Yes there were aliens, mostly all very nicely described. Yes there was an alien world, also very nicely described. There was a touch of BDSM, almost vanilla in essence and yes there was an unusual method of arriving on the new world. So why didn't it hit the spot as it were? I have no idea. The writing was good, the Characters were well developed but somehow it just didn't make the ...more
Jennifer Lavoie
Okay. I read The Adorned by John Tristan before, and adored it. So I was really looking forward to this book. While I did like it and enjoyed it well enough, I had some issues with it. First of all, the length. The book is a novella, a very fast read, and it really felt like the pacing was off. I wanted to know more about Jason and Aedar and all of the others, and while I know there is a sequel, I felt like things happened too fast in this book. The world building was quick, and we still know ha ...more
Ayanna
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, lmao-what
I am intrigued because I almost can't believe it. According to the blurb, it actually sounds more like one of those pulp-type m/m romances, but for some reason, I have it in my head that the unpublished ones I've heard of are the serious ones. Makes me wonder if it's going to be serious or pulp...y... or whatever you call that w/e stuff and yeah... (trails off awkwardly)

*shrugs. (cue cliche...and...NOW) ONLY TIME WILL TELL *dun dun dun* (that was supposed to be onomatopoeia dramatic music, see?)
Sarina
I love sci-fi/fantasy novels so after reading the premise, I decided to give this one a shot. I liked the different species and the connection between Jason and Aedar, but I really would have loved more detail; about both the world and its inhabitants. The novel was on the short side which did cut down on the ability for that detail I wanted but it was still a nice easy read. It was good for a quick diversion but I was still left wanting more.
Jess
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short, alien, sci-fi
I really liked the idea for the overall plot but it was to short for me to get to know and like the characters. I would have preferred more emotional development and some kind of threat or danger that could have brought out the worst/best of the characters.

Neko
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loose-id
4.5

I REALLY liked this book. Haha... though, I do hope there is some kind of sequel in the future. xD
 ~♥ Elle ♥~
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had my doubts on this, at first, since I don't usually read sci-fi. This book was a surprisingly good read.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Mandi
Wasn't sure what I'd be getting into with this, but I loved it! would definitely love to read more of these characters.

• Captivated
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • Changed: Mated to the Alien Alpha (The Omega Colony, #1)
  • Human Omega: Babied by His Guardian Mates (Pykh, #3)
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • King's Killer (The Kings of Men MC #1)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars, #1)
  • Earth Fathers Are Weird
  • Untamed (Untamed, #1)
  • Kríe Captivity (The Nira Chronicles, #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Lightbearer
  • Human Omega: Trapped in the Alien Jungle (Pykh #2)
  • My Grumpy Old Bear (Lovable Grumps, #1)
  • My Everything (My Everything, #1)
  • Mated (Imprisoned, #2)
  • Gage & Tyson (Arrested Hearts, #1)
I'm John, and I write gay romance, usually with a SF/F twist.

As for reading, I will read pretty much everything you put in front of me, but I will always have a special love for all genre fiction. I'm of the firm belief no story can't be improved by an elf, dragon and/or spaceship or two!

Skoria (2 books)
  • A Slave in Skoria  (Skoria, #2)