Start by marking “Dark Thoughts” as Want to Read:
Dark Thoughts

Dark Thoughts

Kevin J. Kennedy has put together some of the horror worlds best selling horror anthologies. Now, for the first time, he has collected together some of his own short stories in the one place. Features a brand new, eight thousand work, tribute story to Richard Laymon's Dark Mountain.
Published May 10th 2019 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Dark Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Thoughts

Start your review of Dark Thoughts
Peter
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
In this selection of short stories you'll find zombies, cannibals and other weird stuff. There is also a sexed-up Wizard of Oz tale with some explicit action for those who enjoy such scenes. The punishment for fattening goose is quite drastic. All characters you meet here are picked from the edge of society. My favourite probably is the pastiche on Laymon, the last story featured in this volume. The author definitely is a good writer and has some fine ideas. Problem is I'm not too much into ...more
Esther
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this book is a great opportunity for all you readers who are curious about a Kevin J. Kennedy book. I know I have reviewed a lot by him and this short story book will give you just the taste.
The writing is impeccable. It's so flowy, easy to read and I just know when I pick up one of his books, that it's without errors.
The book has the lovely horror stories that I'm fond of. You have the gory, the scary, the WTH-stories and all that you just would love to get out of a short story book.
I
The Scary Reviews
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Dark thoughts was an entertaining and quick read. Carnivalland, Life on a Double-Decker and Lake Mesquite being my favorites. Each of them hitting a different horror theme. Zombies, a trip through strange land and good old campsite horror hit the spot.
P.A. Rudders
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brutal and uncompromising, sometimes quirky, and even humorous at times loved it!

Despite being new to this author, I knew I was going to like this collection right from the opening story, 'Life on a Double Decker Bus,' a highly original snapshot take on the Zombie theme, which is no mean task given the current tsunami-like glut of Zombie themed tales.

In many ways, some of the stories read like snapshots of possibly longer stories, especially Carnivalland, and yet theyre still surprisingly
Ryan
Mr. Kennedy has put together quite a few memorable horror anthologies together recently. CHRISTMAS HORROR SHORTS, Volumes I & II were the perfect presents last year. This collection spotlights his own shorts.

Most of the tales were fast-paced, and Kennedy writes with a peculiar voice. The stories in this collection range from a zombie infested amusement parks to flesh eating cave clans. The perverse and sadistic dark-humored stories didnt live up to his previous bizarre entries found in other
Torie Cobern
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short but sweet

The stories in this book are all good just not very long, I would love to see a couple of these short stories made onto longer books
R.J. Roles
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great engaging read! Kennedy is a fantastic story teller.
Andrew Lennon
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall a really good collection!
Enjoyed the variety of stories included here, and all very well written.
Not the first thing Ive read by Kennedy and wont be that last.
Erica Metcalf
Short story collections were never a huge hit with me. Ive always picked them up from time to time because I kept hoping I would find just the right collection. However, with most collections, the tales inside were always hit or miss. Id have a couple of four or five star ratings, but then a majority of one, two, or three star ratings.

Then I got an email from Kevin Kennedy

After reading a few collections that he put together, my tune changed! I have absolutely loved each collection that I have
Autumn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book to give an honest review.

I love a good horror book and they are really hard to find. In this collection I wouldn't really call the stories scary but they were a bit creepy. On the first story right out of the box I felt like I had read that one before. Not sure where but I remember reading about a double Decker bus and zombies. Each story was different and unique. I have to say there was two stories that had me shaking my head.

The first one was I'll Give Ye Foie Gras, Ya
Natasha Sinclair
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding Collection

I loved each story in this entire collection, which in itself is rare!

Favourites being;
Ill Give You Foie Gras, Ya Cunt - This piece made me laugh out loud and gag more than once, I loved it. Who hasnt had such relatable dark thoughts - the Author created this Story with such flare and humour, its certainly memorable whether you love it or hate it. I really enjoyed the localisms in this.
A Tarantino Oz - Great twist on these characters, once again the authors talent for
Elisa
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Unlike other short story collections where you have a masterpiece next to a less brilliant piece, this book's content is pretty even. It may be because all the stories are by the same author but I liked them all equally. They are more or less gory, but tell a complete story in just a few pages. As an animal lover, I enjoyed "I'll Give You Foie Gras..." a little too much, while "Charlie the Vegetarian Cannibal" surprised me by making a completely out-there character very relatable. "Lake ...more
Jim Glover
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow!!!!

I a, a big fan of Kevin J Kennedy and could t wait to read this one. It was fantastic and had everything. Not just I. Your face horror so,e are of the horror of man. But there was also some stories where you find yourself asking what the hell? Just some great stories that he should be proud of. Loved it.
Ayana
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quirky and lurid lot of horror

The title of this book is self explanatory! The themes explore are not for those who are easily bother . If you are a AHS fan , then this is your cup of tea. There was one story that cause me to choke on my food. I never will look at my brownie or fudge sauce same. I feel the heroine should have choke too😉

dana cunningham
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
My kind of disturbing

What a time I've had reading this collection of stories. It was truly wonderful visiting the mind of Kevin J Kennedy. Very sick and starving I loved it all. I will definitely be looking for more of his work.
Ann Keeran
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A dark and magnificent look at some well known places. Kevin Kennedy has an imagination that is unequaled in modern day stories. A great look at what could happen if you aren't careful!
jody scheppmann
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great reads

Well written..captivating...you don't want the stories to end. All of them were awesome. And the writers were not long winded
Maria
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book and the stories! So many authors to entertain your different type of imagination.
Roxanne
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love reading these stories

The last one was really good. And the others were also hope to read more stories like this. Really like the one about the guarantees of oz
Carmilla Voiez
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
It starts with a couple of teens, caring for a young child and trying to make a go of things while living in a double-decker bus - in a zombie apocalypse, and ends with the resurrected witch of Mesquite Lake. A fun and quirky collection of ten tales that lie in the grey area between vignettes and short stories, some of which are highly imaginative.

My favourite was "I'll give ye frois gras, ye cunt!". The minimal characterisation allowed plenty of room for the reader to add their own gloss to the
Gloria
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dark Thoughts begins with a mildly heart warming story of three kids trying to survive a zombie apocalypse and quickly descends into violent cannibals and the most 'childhood ruined' add on to 'The Wizard of Oz' that I would never even want to imagine. There are good points and bad points about this collection with the overall writing being a good point, but some more intentional choices needed in putting the whole thing together.

The layout of the collection seems to have little thought put into
Anna
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Some good some not

This collection is a toss up . Some good stories, some not scary at all just sad, and some boring.
Alexander Pyles
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
*review pending*
Cage
Feb 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Did not like a single story. Some of the stories...very elementary. Really wanted to enjoy it, but alas.
Steve Abrams
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not scary

Do not waste your time. Dumb Tories, most from bad movies or stories in the past. This book is a waste even though it's free. Trust me and don't waste your time
scott d. johnson
Feb 03, 2020
jean martnho
rated it did not like it
Aug 17, 2020

• Lingering Things and Other Dark Tales: A Horror Anthology
  • His Dark Imagination: A Collection Of Twisted Short Stories And Novellas
  • The Butcher's Husband and Other Stories
  • Don't Scream 2: 30 More Tales to Terrify
  • Short Horror Stories Vol. 1 (Supernatural Suspense Collection, #1)
  • Next Door
  • Under The Safe House & Other Stories
  • When The Devil Writes: A Collection Of Twisted Short Stories And Novellas
  • Books of Horror Community Anthology Vol. 1
  • How Much To..?
  • The Monsters We Forgot: Volume 1
  • Horrors Next Door 2: Short Scary Stories to play with your mind
  • A Very Bad Year: Twelve Stories in an Anthology of Horror and Suspense
Kevin J Kennedy is the co-author of 'You Only Get One Shot,' 'Screechers,' and 'Stitches' and has two solo collections available called 'Dark Thoughts,' & 'Vampiro and Other Strange Tales of the Macabre.' He runs KJK Publishing, the company behind anthology collections such as '100 Word Horrors,' & 'The Horror Collection.'

He lives in Scotland with his wife and his three little cats,

News & Interviews