Jump to ratings and reviews

Ten Hours #2

What Comes After

Life is full of many things.
Love.
Loss.
Heartbreak.
Laughter.
No matter how small, each moment has value.

Then there are the big moments.
The moments that define us.
And the people who shape our very existence.

Abel Collins is that person for me.
From the very first time our eyes locked, I knew there was something about him. That he was the person that would change everything.
And he did.

But Abel isn’t just any man…

His past is his prison.
His guilt keeps him chained.
His grief defines him.

And now it’s up to me to set him free.
To make him see that life isn’t just about what we’ve lost but what we still stand to gain.

Because it’s not about what came before, but what comes after.

***What Comes After can be read following TEN HOURS or as a complete STANDALONE.

350 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 9, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Melissa Toppen

46 books1,707 followers
Melissa Toppen is a USA Today Bestselling Author who specializes in Fantasy, New Adult and Contemporary Romance. She is a lover of books and enjoys nothing more than losing herself in a good novel. She has a soft spot for romance and all things fantasy, and focuses her writing in that direction; writing what she loves to read.

You can find more information about Melissa and her books at melissatoppen.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (1%)
1 star
7 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 98 reviews
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
410 reviews48 followers
Shelved as 'nope-nope-nope'
Slight spoilers

I have become really hesistant to read books with this premise lately, I just dont like my heroine feeling like second best. Heroines get the shaft 98% of the time even in other plots, & readers judge them harshly, so I just dont need a built in reason in the story for her to get shit on and feel inferior to another woman. The heroine is usually made out to be a martyr that is fine being a second choice, and it just is not romantic to me. In a romance book I want the heroine to be loved the most, and not second best AND not being used as a reward given to the hero for his tragedy, which the latter is what this heroine felt like. She was written in a way that it never felt organic, just the author writing her perfectly for whatever Abel needed, basically a plaything to make him happy again. I just cannot be ok with that little thought being given to a female character.

Also I dont think the equivocation of losing someone you romantically love to someone who lost a parental figure works in a romance book, because it still means one person has been IN love before and the other hasnt, and I just dont like that imbalance. I would like books with this premise much better if BOTH ppl had loved before, and were meeting at a time when they were both wanting a new love. Eleanor and Grey also tried to make this equivocation, and it did not work for me. Why is the hero always allowed to have multiple loves, multiple ways to have amazing sex but the heroine can have NOTHING till she meets him? Its depressing that heroines in these books are just there to make the hero happy, but yet on their own will never know what being loved above all will feel like.
Profile Image for Veronica WordsAreMyDrinkOfChoice.
453 reviews83 followers
So sick of this trope,
Not only do we have the hero comparing the heroine to his dead ex, we also have the heroine feeling like a consolation prize! Hate it, and it is not romantic in the slightest!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Rachel K.
670 reviews95 followers
August 9, 2019
A prime example of a man who wasn’t even in the least bit ready to move on, did it anyway, and ended up hurting someone because he’s selfish. Also not a fan of friends who are manipulative and don’t have your back because they know better 🙄

Not my kind of book.
Profile Image for swedishruler B.
301 reviews116 followers
August 8, 2019
Dead exes are so not my thing at all. Exes in anyway really. And when all thru the book he’s comparing the h to her nah. So not romantic to me. Oh and to top it off the baby is named after. Pass.
Profile Image for Dora Koutsoukou.
1,721 reviews340 followers
August 16, 2019
4 💖💖💖💖🌟🌟🌟🌟s❣️

After reading Ten Hours, I was anticipating for What Comes After.
This was a difficult read for me, watching Abel trying to move on, after Finley’s three years absence.
I definitely wanted Abel to find his HEA, but since his epic love with Finley I was wondering if he would finally fall in love again.
The author though carried it out with great success. The writing was captivating and gripping. I sympathised with Abel, felt his struggle, his pain and heartache.
Peyton was an amazing character also, the perfect girl for Abel, after what both of them went through in the past and shared same feelings they clicked beautifully!
Abel’s journey was a great read.
Profile Image for Anne OK.
3,402 reviews437 followers
August 11, 2019
I need to dry the tears and pull myself together and then I'll post my full review. Melissa Toppen perfectly broke my heart along with Abel's in "Ten Hours" and now "What Comes After" is heartbreakingly sad, but lovingly healing in all the best ways. A freeing and beautiful Epilogue puts everything into perspective and life moves on.
Profile Image for Michelle.
303 reviews21 followers
August 18, 2019
I think if we got to see Abel actually be 100% in the relationship with Peyton without having constant thoughts of Finley I could actually get behind Abel.

Abel was not ready to move on and even in the epilogue I still didn’t feel like he was.
Profile Image for Sarah Scholz.
89 reviews21 followers
August 11, 2019
I've been axiously awaiting this book, ever since I finished "Ten Hours". However, I also wanted to savor Abel's story, so I did take a little longer than usual to read it. This book was everything I hoped it would be. ❤ My heart broke for him, after finishing "Ten Hours". I wanted so badly for Abel to get his "happily ever after". "What Comes After" did not disappoint. It can be read as a standalone. However, I encourage readers to read "Ten Hours" first. You'll get his whole background story before reading this book.
When we meet Abel in "What Comes After" he is having a difficult time readjusting to his life, after the events that happened in "Ten Hours". He has a wonderful, caring family who want to help him during this time. He meets Peyton when he least expects it. When he's taking part in one of his brother's weddings. It's beautiful to see him come alive & back to his fun-loving self, as he starts on this unexpected journey with another one of a kind woman. It's also heartbreaking to see him struggle with this new found second chance at happiness.
Peyton is cautious when they first meet. However, the more she learns about his past, and as time goes by, she can't help but fall in love with him. I loved that she was willing to give Abel a chance to see where this journey would take them. I also loved that she could, in some ways relate to his tragic past. I also hurt for her for doubting she would make an imprint on his heart.
Two of Abel's family members stood out more to me than the others. Claire and Aunt Claudia. I loved that they both were his voice of reason, as he waded through his feelings & emotions for both Finley and Peyton. She had a great support system too. I loved her dad & stepmom. It was very unselfish of Abel to be honest with Peyton about the possibility or lack there of, for a future together. I loved how Melissa brought his story full circle with his past & just enough tidbits of his life with Finley to help the reader.❤
I would definitely recommend this book to those like me, who eagerly awaited Abel's story. I would also recommend this to any fans of her writing. Also to those readers, who are fans of second chance romances. I know this isn't the typical book for that troupe. I believe it could be considered for that distinction. I'm excited to see what Melissa will write next.
Profile Image for Michelle.
1,602 reviews
August 26, 2019
I did not want to read a book about Abel finding love again. I wanted his love for Finley to be it. Boy was I wrong not to want more of him. This was a hard read. Back to Back to Back books of the wife dying and the husband moving on. I've been married 20 yrs and I'm a jealous and selfish one and I don't want my man to move on and get remarried/fall in love. I know that is BAD. I know, but I own it and he knows how I feel. Again I know it's extremely selfish as we are still in our 40's but BITCH he's MINE and I don't plan on dying anytime soon.

Ok so that was why the book was hard. Yes I know Finley and Abel were young but even when I was newly married I felt this way. This was the 4th book in a row where this was the theme and coupled with my period starting I was a hot ass mess reading it.

BUT..... Abel deserves to love again. And I'm happy he finds it. I loved Peyton. She got the shit end of the stick and I hated that she felt second best. I hated when Abel looked at her expecting Finley and she could tell. I hated it all. But I loved how strong she was to stay and not walk away. I would have walked away. He of course pulls a dick move and I hate how hurt she got. But it needed to happen.
1,439 reviews3 followers
July 12, 2019
Loved it! I agree that it can be read as a stand-alone but feel it will mean so much more after reading Ten Hours. This story is refreshing, heartbreaking, suspenseful, and just amazing. Loved the characters and the friendships involved.
2,617 reviews22 followers
August 3, 2019
what a heart breaking story! he has lived in his own prison and heart ache for years. than she comes along and there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. its a must read for sure. you will need tissues for this one!
Profile Image for Trescina Bell.
472 reviews6 followers
Awesome awesome read!

Oh my goodness that was a tear jerker but awesome. I couldn’t put it down. It had me from beginning to the end. Grab it.
Profile Image for Syd Ryan.
Author 11 books486 followers
August 9, 2019
What Comes After follows the book Ten Hours. Abel Collins in What Comes After is dealing with unimaginable loss and going forward three years later. Pain, new beginnings, starts off this novel. Great story but can’t expect anything different from Toppen.
Profile Image for Roxs Reads.
659 reviews1 follower
August 3, 2019
What Comes After is beautifully written, chocked full of insightful phrases and quotes, and sits atop my list of favorite read for 2019.  Melissa Toppen took a subject we'd rather not face, rather not experience, and showed us all how to come alive again after unthinkable loss, pain, and grief.

Abel Collins stole our hearts in Ten Hours while we watched him endure an epic love and heart-breaking loss. What Comes After brings more of Abel to the pages. More pain, more grief, but also more living, more understanding,  and more love.

When you're the one left behind, moving forward can seem like an unsurmountable task; an impossibility. Only when you are ready and the right people come into your life, will the pieces fall back into place to loosen the vice grip surrounding your chest, to let you breathe again. Peyton is the one to free Abel, the one who understands his pain, but can she withstand all that it entails?  I'll never look at a fallen feather the same again. It is now imprinted on my brain to have a much deeper meaning.

What Comes Next left me awestruck. It is an emotionally-charged story that had me in tears; how could it not! Melissa's writing was flawless and flowed seamlessly. It can be read as a stand alone but do I recommend it? Not on your life! Do yourself a favor and start with Ten Hours. Get to know how deeply Abel loved Finely. Take the journey with him. Understand where his pain and grief comes from. Then dive into all the healing power of What Comes After.
Profile Image for Energy (Rae's Reading).
1,423 reviews33 followers
August 29, 2019
Three years later, Abel is still having a hard time getting over losing Finley. But at least he feels ready to return back to Chicago, even if it will be hard to go all the places where her ghost will haunt. He's become extremely close with Finley's sister Claire, she's his rock, and vice versa, it's only through her that he feels ready to come back at all.

Peyton isn't much for dating and she's definitely not into one night stands, no matter how hard her roommate Henna is trying to hook her up. But when she meets Abel, something is different, she's drawn to him in an unexplainable way. But they can't have a relationship, he's still in love with his wife, and she can't compete with a ghost.

So I had mixed feelings about Peyton in What Comes After, she starts off as such a strong and confident woman, but then she grows insecure and oblivious. Henna is repeatedly saying things like "One of these days you're going to get out of your own way and let yourself try to be happy." because Peyton really is her own biggest obstacle.

She's pretty oblivious to any sort of signals Abel gives off, no matter how unintentional they are. I also don't like how she caved into his "I don't want strings" business, (which he was completely honest about his inability to move forward from the start) because Toppen spent a good deal of time laying the groundwork for Peyton staying celibate for the sake of not wanting one-nighters, but then she flips and as okay. So for me, Peyton isn't a strong character at all, but Peyton and Abel together? Wonderful!

It was a hard road for them, but what I really liked about Payton, was that even though she was insecure about Finley, she accepted that he would always love her, and then was able to come to the conclusion that there was room in his heart for both of them. I feel it was Abel who started to cave first as far as his feelings towards Payton because he would say the sweetest things, even if he was in denial about it all. I think he deserved the happily ever after and he gets that with Payton. The two of them are adorably so good for each other.
Profile Image for Shawn.
61 reviews1 follower
August 10, 2019
I was glad that Melissa decided to continue Abel’s story, because last time we left him he had just buried his wife Finley and he decided to leave Chicago to deal with his grief.
The book begins 3 years later. Abel’s been living in California with one of his brothers and starts packing up to return to Chicago just in time for another brothers pre-wedding activities. Little does he know, he’s about to meet the woman that’s going to shake up his world.
Peyton and her friend Henna are out with the bridal party/ bachelorette party and the guys are out celebrating/ bachelor party then later during the evening they all meet up.
Peyton unfortunately literally runs into Abel where he spills his drink and turns into instant asshole. She returns to her friends and finds that Henna has found herself a guy, the brother of the groom. Then handsome but grumpy Abel joins the group and Peyton points out to her friend - that’s the asshole that yelled at me. Everyone that knows Abel is shocked that he acted like that because he’s usually easy going and kind hearted. But not sure if his grief has changed him too.
This begins the hate/hate relationship between Abel & Peyton. It begins at the wedding, then Henna starts dating Abel’s brother and they begin to realize they are attracted to each other.
Abel continues to fight it and at times doesn’t treat Peyton very well. Peyton even agrees to a “friends with benefits” relationship and also keep the relationship secret.
Abel has also kept his friendship with Claire (Finley’s sister) and she continues to give him advice and reminding him that Finley wanted him to move forward and find love again.
Abel can’t move forward because he sees and feels Finley everywhere. He feels guilty that he’s here and she’s not. This story takes a broken man who’s closed off his heart to finally start to heal and maybe be happy and find love again.
Once again Melissa takes us on an emotional rollercoaster of hurt,healing and eventually love. This story brings all the feels. Another Five Star Read from Melissa Toppen. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️❤️
July 20, 2019
A beautiful, heartbreaking story that will pull at your heart strings. What Comes After is a tale of love and loss, how to deal with your grief and how to move on with your life. What Comes After can be read as a standalone but is book 2 and follows on from Ten Hours.

Abel Collins is trying to piece together is life after losing his first love. After leading a very lonely existence for the past 3 years in California he feels like it is time to move back home to be with his family and friends in Chicago. He is not looking to connect with anyone and just hopes that everyday the grief crushing his soul will lessen just a tiny fraction. It has been 3 years and the pain of losing his love is just as fresh as it was back then. Abel's story shows how grief can completely consume who you are and the weight of such can be devastating. Just when he feels life cannot get anymore complicated, fate throws him curve ball.

Peyton knows what it feels like to lose someone she loves. In a way she can relate to Abel and this is why I feel that she is drawn to him. Her soul recognises his pain and suffering and she would give anything to be able to take that from him. Peyton makes compromises she normally wouldn't but will it be enough to get what she wants or is she doomed from the start to fall for Abel and be left nursing a broken heart.

Abel feels guilt. He was not prepared for Peyton and while he is still deeply in love with his lost love, Peyton has managed to work her way under his skin. Is Abel strong enough to finally let go and maybe find a second chance at happiness?

Melissa Toppen has given us readers an exceptionally beautiful story of second chances at life after loss! Must read!!
Profile Image for Jasmine.
571 reviews3 followers
July 24, 2019
Abel Collins is lost and going through the motions of life. After losing his first love to cancer, he is a shell of his former self, is that enough to get through life. He wants more, but feels guilty, his friends and family want so much more for him and his life. But when the guilt take over, will Finley help guide him to where he needs to be? Will he listen to the signs she gives him? After 3 years of living in California, he knows it is time to go back home to Chicago. He wants to be around the places and people he knows. Will this help him or devastate him more?

Peyton has had a string of bad relationships with guys that are no good for her. But during her friends wedding celebrations, she meets Abel, who is a brother to the groom. But she instantly knows if she allows Abel to get under her skin, it will ruin her for other men as well as life. Can she take the risk? Is he worth it? Can she help guide him back to living? Through their pasts, they recognize the pain they are going through, but is that enough? Is Peyton enough for Abel?

This is such a great story and shows that your heart is bigger than you think. Abel has enough room to love Finley and keep her with him but love Peyton in a brand new way that includes her in his life and vice versa. This will pull at your heartstrings, take you through a journey of Abel and Peyton, but will we survive their story? This story has so much love, loss, grief, moving on and so much more. This can be read as a standalone, but Ten Hours explains the great love Abel and Finley shared. You will need your tissues during this story. I can't wait for more from Melissa Toppen, LOVE her stories!!! Maybe next we will see the rest of the Collins brothers get their happy endings. I received an ARC of this book from the author.
Profile Image for Chelsia.
92 reviews3 followers
July 21, 2019
I bawled reading Ten Hours, I bawled reading What comes after. I am so excited for everyone to get a chance to see Abel again. I tried to give this book a fair chance but I was torn at first, having Abel move on & without Finley.
Even with no Finely & the constant tears this book induced, Melissa Did an amazing job!

In Ten hours we meet Abel & Finley, who quickly fall in love & start Their happily ever after but Their lives start to crumble when Finley gets sick again & (despite all my tears & praying she would get better) passes away.
Abel turns into a heart broken, shell of himself.

In What comes after, We meet the “new” Abel, who is just barely surviving & clinging to the memories of His wife Finley.
3 years after Her passing, Abel makes a bold choice & moves home.
Sweet Peyton has had Her heart broken by Her last boyfriend.
After a chance encounter at a bachelorette party with a hot a**hole, fate keeps bring these two back together.
Abel lives his life just surviving coming off rude & arrogant guy.

When fate brings Peyton in both Abel’s & his families life, Changing everyone. He can not avoid this girl.
After being around each other numerous times thanks to friends & some could say Finley.
Abel starts to open himself up to the idea of loving another woman.
Peyton is not Fin but She makes Abel feel like life is worth living again
Peyton tries Her hardest not to fall in love & become the 2nd places woman in Abel’s life.

I hope everyone enjoys, laughs & cries as much as I did, watching Abel find Himself, watching The light come back into eyes & mostly watching him grow in the new Abel, the Abel who now not only is surviving after Finley but thriving!
Profile Image for Gladys.
10.4k reviews106 followers
July 20, 2019
This was a book that I was equal parts excited and afraid to read and there is a complicated reason why I felt that way. This book is a follow-up story to the book Ten Hours but it can also be read very easily as a standalone. I have read Ten Hours and normally this would be where I would tell you that I feel you should read that book first. However, I am going to surprise you and say I Do Not recommend that you read Ten Hours immediately before diving into this book. In fact, I would say read this one first and then go back and read Ten Hours because in my opinion, as good as this book is, it pales in comparison to its older sister book. Now do not get me wrong, Peyton and Abel share a beautiful and very emotional romance. It delivers plenty of feels and is very moving. I feel that my heart just simply did not have time to do what this book focuses on: grieving, letting go and being able to move past a loss. Ten Hours is a book about a love that is Everything!! Finley and Abel's love was nothing short of epic and legenday. To me it is on par with unforgettable romances like Romeo and Juliet and Jack and Rose. That is a lot to live up to, no to mention follow. Abel may have had three years to grieve but IRL, Ten Hours came out only three months ago and so for me it was all still too fresh and raw in my mind to truly embrace Abel and Peyton and give them the love they deserved. This is my candid, voluntary review.
Profile Image for Erin.
255 reviews1 follower
August 13, 2019
Fall in love with Abel all over again!
I didn't think my heart would ever recover from Ten Hours. What Comes After was exactly what I needed to repair that crack. I didn't realize how much it needed to be mended until reading it.
Abel and Peyton are two souls that share the same shade. Peyton is headstrong and independent which is exactly what may help Abel overcome his vulnerability. Abel...Oh Abel...my heart still ached for him. He was exactly as I remembered him, the stuff book boyfriends are made of. Only now we get to watch his light come shining back through the pit of despair he has been hiding in. I was able to see him smile and laugh and truly be happy again. I loved and admired every bit of his journey from past to present to future.
"Count each day as a blessing and never take for granted a single moment you have with the people you love"
The end did move rather quickly but, in a way, I felt it needed to be done that way. This book was about closure and finding it in your heart to move forward with peace and acceptance. I felt all those feelings and held my kindle close to my heart when finished.
You really should read Ten Hours before venturing into What Comes After but it isn't absolutely necessary. Though, I think reading and experiencing all those feelings for yourself is well worth the read.
Profile Image for Julie Reveles (Juls ~ ILST BLOG).
852 reviews10 followers
August 10, 2019

What Comes After is exactly how that ending left me feeling. I loved Abel, and I just wanted more of what’s next! The ending also gave me goosebumps!! Plus, I have tears coming down my face. I don’t know how many times throughout this story I had a lump in my throat. It’s like I was trying to swallow a ball that I could barely get down. You will definitely want to grab some tissues prior to starting. That way you're nice and ready for this emotional roller coaster. I feel like I felt Abel’s pain the entire time. The way he talked and felt about his wife was beautiful. I loved what he said about her when it came to her reading...

“She loved everything, but mostly romance. It would fascinate me, watching her read. I could tell what was happening based on her expression. She felt every character and story so deeply while she was reading it was almost like they were a part of her.”

This is exactly how I felt while I read. These characters, especially Abel, will always be a part of me. His story has touched me, and I’m just so happy that he got his second chance at love.

“If you want a future you have to learn to let go of the past.”

-Juls
Profile Image for Johnaka- Amity Book Blog.
1,163 reviews13 followers
July 19, 2019
What Comes After by Melissa Toppen
“Moving on, 5 stars”

I would like to start off with telling you that I did not read Ten Hours before What Comes After and yet this story moved me. I’m honestly glad I read it how I did because I never knew who Abel was before his heartache. What Comes After is all about moving on after loss. Can you pick up the pieces? Will you love again? Is every love the same or can it be different? So many questions.
Peyton understands loss even though hers was different than Abels. There was no denying that she wanted him but could she be what he needs? Can she handle being his second great love or would she rather be someone’s first? One thing is for sure though, she cannot stay away.
These two had killer chemistry and had a invisible string pulling them together. They couldn’t stay away no matter how hard they tried to convince themselves. Then you have the support system. Claire made sure to keep Abel grounded and Henna reminded Peyton to keep an open mind. I think if you take a chance on What Comes After you will be happy.
Plot-5/5
Characters-5/5
Heat-5/5
Writing style-5/5
Overall-5/5
Profile Image for Becky Wise.
2,235 reviews39 followers
August 8, 2019
In order to get the full effect of What Comes After you should read 10 Hours first. This is the continuation of Abel's story. Your heart broke for Abel in 10 Hours and now this is what happens next. I love what Melissa Toppen gives us when it comes to Abel's story with not only getting to see how he heals but that glimpse of hope of love again. Abel is just so amazing even when he's lost his way since his wife Finley's death. You see him go through the motions and you feel the rawness of his emotions as he tries to heal and move on. I love the glimpses of Finley pushing him to move on. I love how patient Peyton is. She is what he needs and you can feel the strong pull between them. For me, I needed a few kleenexes here and there. Also true to form you will just fall so in love with Abel in this one. He is the one you root for to find his forever love again. The one that can understand there will always be that piece of him missing. And believe me, I cheered and hoped it was going to be Peyton. I'm so in love with what Melissa Toppen has done to my heart and soul with What Comes After. This is one of my top reads for 2019. GO ONE CLICK THIS ONE.
Profile Image for Katie.
2,081 reviews11 followers
August 15, 2019
What Comes After
By Melissa Toppen
5 stars
Reviewed on behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Book Blog

After I realised that this book was the second in the series I still went ahead and read it as a standalone and whilst it read perfectly fine as one I then went back and read book 1 and it did make me see the characters in a different way but it was still absolutely one fantastic and very emotional read. My heart completely went out to Abel, I could really feel every emotion that he went through, the guilt, the grief – everything. It was obvious that the author had really taken her time when thinking about how to portray Abel’s characters – he came across as so real. At times I felt like I was living his story with him.
Peyton’s character was so lovely, she was understanding, she was selfless and I loved reading about her.
This isn’t the first story that I have read by this author, she really is such a talented author whose work captivates me from beginning to end.
What Comes After was a beautifully written story that had my emotions everywhere! I highly recommend it and I will as always be looking forward to reading more from Ms Toppen again in the future!
Profile Image for Stacie Christensen.
597 reviews12 followers
July 17, 2019
Life is full of many things.
Love.
Loss.
Heartbreak.
Laughter.
No matter how small, each moment has value.

Then there are the big moments.
The moments that define us.
And the people who shape our very existence.

Abel Collins is that person for me.
And he did.

But Abel isn’t just any man…

His past is his prison.
His guilt keeps him chained.
His grief defines him.

And now it’s up to me to set him free.

Because it’s not about what came before, but what comes after.

This can be read as a stand alone, in my opinion to really enjoy this book more I highly recommend Ten Hours first. Abel and Peyton's story was so beautiful and heartfelt! I enjoyed reading how their relationship developed and how Abel dealt with his grief! Fantastic Read!

Profile Image for Sara Gross.
301 reviews
July 22, 2019
The first book in which we met Abel, Ten Hours, gutted me and I was not sure I would be up for anything else with Abel in it. What more could he go through? Was he ready to move on? Peyton meets Abel and can relate a little bit to what he is going through with the loss of his wife, Finley. She lost her mom when she a teenager. Abel was not sure he was ready to meet anyone or move on, now or ever, and he and Peyton developed a nice friendship... where they of course, started to have feelings and were intimate with each other. Abel did not feel like he could stop loving Finley and he did not realize that loving someone else did not mean he had to stop loving his dead wife... only that he had to find room in his heart for someone else to share his love and life with. I loved seeing Abel fall in love again and get his happy ever after, even if it was not with Finley. This story will pull at your heart, make you have to dry your eyes a few times, and even chuckle a time or two. It was a great ending to Abel's story and I loved it!
Profile Image for Kari Hansen.
8,749 reviews52 followers
August 11, 2019
When we met Abel in Ten Hours we got to know and love the caring and swoon-worthy man he truly is when he found love and gave his whole heart and soul to a woman that he knew he wouldn’t have forever. Three years later he is still drowning with grief and guilt, but he knows he needs to try and build a new life and that means moving back to Chicago to be close to his family.

Peyton has her own painful past that she is dealing with. She meets Abel as they are both involved in the same wedding. She knows that Abel is not ready for love and getting involved with him is sure to end in a broken heart but getting her heart to believe what her brain is telling it is much harder than she thought.

This is a beautiful and emotional story about love, healing and second chances. After the devastating loss that Abel has endured he needs to accept that moving forward with his life is not forgetting his first love and that she would want him to live and love and Peyton is the perfect person to do that with.
Profile Image for Dashing Bling Read.
10 reviews1 follower
August 19, 2019
What comes after the pain? Abel lost his wife Finley due to cancer and for the longest time(3 years) he thought he wouldn't find anyone(not that he was looking) or for that matter be able to move on with his life. He so love Finley so much that I could feel his pain.

It wasn't until he met Peyton, that he grew to love her and she in turns grew to love him. It was at that moment when Peyton was in a car accident that Abel that he once again was reliving the lost and pain that he felt with Finley. He was left to deal with choices of trying to decided what to do with his true feeling for Peyton. Abel felt like if he continued to fall in love with someone else then that mean his love and memory of Finley would be abandon and lost. He was able to still have a place in his heart for Finley and truly move on to love Peyton.

This is truly an amazing love story and tear jerker. Peyton and Abel encounter tragedy and a journey toward pain, lost and love. Melissa did an amazing job with the story line and well develop characters.

Displaying 1 - 30 of 98 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.