Start by marking “What Comes After (Ten Hours, #2)” as Want to Read:
What Comes After (Ten Hours, #2)

What Comes After

(Ten Hours #2)

Life is full of many things.
Love.
Loss.
Heartbreak.
Laughter.
No matter how small, each moment has value.

Then there are the big moments.
The moments that define us.
And the people who shape our very existence.

Abel Collins is that person for me.
From the very first time our eyes locked, I knew there was something about him. That he was the person that would change everything.
An
Published August 9th 2019

To ask other readers questions about What Comes After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Comes After

Start your review of What Comes After (Ten Hours, #2)
Elizabeth
Aug 09, 2019 marked it as nope-nope-nope
Slight spoilers

I have become really hesistant to read books with this premise lately, I just dont like my heroine feeling like second best. Heroines get the shaft 98% of the time even in other plots, & readers judge them harshly, so I just dont need a built in reason in the story for her to get shit on and feel inferior to another woman. The heroine is usually made out to be a martyr that is fine being a second choice, and it just is not romantic to me. In a romance book I want the heroine to
Rachel K
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
A prime example of a man who wasn’t even in the least bit ready to move on, did it anyway, and ended up hurting someone because he’s selfish. Also not a fan of friends who are manipulative and don’t have your back because they know better 🙄

Not my kind of book.
Veronica WordsAreMyDrinkOfChoice
Nova B
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dead exes are so not my thing at all. Exes in anyway really. And when all thru the book he’s comparing the h to her nah. So not romantic to me. Oh and to top it off the baby is named after. Pass.
Dora Koutsoukou
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 💖💖💖💖🌟🌟🌟🌟s❣️

After reading Ten Hours, I was anticipating for What Comes After.
This was a difficult read for me, watching Abel trying to move on, after Finley’s three years absence.
I definitely wanted Abel to find his HEA, but since his epic love with Finley I was wondering if he would finally fall in love again.
The author though carried it out with great success. The writing was captivating and gripping. I sympathised with Abel, felt his struggle, his pain and heartache.
Peyton was an amazing
Anne OK
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need to dry the tears and pull myself together and then I'll post my full review. Melissa Toppen perfectly broke my heart along with Abel's in "Ten Hours" and now "What Comes After" is heartbreakingly sad, but lovingly healing in all the best ways. A freeing and beautiful Epilogue puts everything into perspective and life moves on.
Maree Repa
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five Amazing Stars

Surviving Grief

I was absolutely thrilled to receive this second book. It is one of the greatest and most brilliant tales of all. Written by my most loved author, Melissa Toppen. Such an incredible story of sorrow, strength and the hope for his Abel Collins future.

Abel had a hard time struggling after the sad death of his wife, Finley. It took time before he could come uld move on with his heart. A heart that was broken.

Dealing with the vast amount of grief over the past few ye
Michelle
Aug 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
I think if we got to see Abel actually be 100% in the relationship with Peyton without having constant thoughts of Finley I could actually get behind Abel.

Abel was not ready to move on and even in the epilogue I still didn’t feel like he was.
Sarah Scholz
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been axiously awaiting this book, ever since I finished "Ten Hours". However, I also wanted to savor Abel's story, so I did take a little longer than usual to read it. This book was everything I hoped it would be. ❤ My heart broke for him, after finishing "Ten Hours". I wanted so badly for Abel to get his "happily ever after". "What Comes After" did not disappoint. It can be read as a standalone. However, I encourage readers to read "Ten Hours" first. You'll get his whole background story b ...more
Michelle
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not want to read a book about Abel finding love again. I wanted his love for Finley to be it. Boy was I wrong not to want more of him. This was a hard read. Back to Back to Back books of the wife dying and the husband moving on. I've been married 20 yrs and I'm a jealous and selfish one and I don't want my man to move on and get remarried/fall in love. I know that is BAD. I know, but I own it and he knows how I feel. Again I know it's extremely selfish as we are still in our 40's but BITCH ...more
Cherie Maggi
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I agree that it can be read as a stand-alone but feel it will mean so much more after reading Ten Hours. This story is refreshing, heartbreaking, suspenseful, and just amazing. Loved the characters and the friendships involved.
Mona williams
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
what a heart breaking story! he has lived in his own prison and heart ache for years. than she comes along and there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. its a must read for sure. you will need tissues for this one!
Trescina Bell
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome awesome read!

Oh my goodness that was a tear jerker but awesome. I couldn’t put it down. It had me from beginning to the end. Grab it.
Destiny Sanderson
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such an amazing book. It sure took me to a place that made my heart 💓 brake and my heart to have joy. This is such an amazing story.
Syd Ryan
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What Comes After follows the book Ten Hours. Abel Collins in What Comes After is dealing with unimaginable loss and going forward three years later. Pain, new beginnings, starts off this novel. Great story but can’t expect anything different from Toppen.
Roxs Reads
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What Comes After is beautifully written, chocked full of insightful phrases and quotes, and sits atop my list of favorite read for 2019.  Melissa Toppen took a subject we'd rather not face, rather not experience, and showed us all how to come alive again after unthinkable loss, pain, and grief.

Abel Collins stole our hearts in Ten Hours while we watched him endure an epic love and heart-breaking loss. What Comes After brings more of Abel to the pages. More pain, more grief, but also more livi
Energy
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three years later, Abel is still having a hard time getting over losing Finley. But at least he feels ready to return back to Chicago, even if it will be hard to go all the places where her ghost will haunt. He's become extremely close with Finley's sister Claire, she's his rock, and vice versa, it's only through her that he feels ready to come back at all.

Peyton isn't much for dating and she's definitely not into one night stands, no matter how hard her roommate Henna is trying to hook her up.
Shawn
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was glad that Melissa decided to continue Abel’s story, because last time we left him he had just buried his wife Finley and he decided to leave Chicago to deal with his grief.
The book begins 3 years later. Abel’s been living in California with one of his brothers and starts packing up to return to Chicago just in time for another brothers pre-wedding activities. Little does he know, he’s about to meet the woman that’s going to shake up his world.
Peyton and her friend Henna are out with the
Jennifer - You Can't Resista Dirty Book
A beautiful, heartbreaking story that will pull at your heart strings. What Comes After is a tale of love and loss, how to deal with your grief and how to move on with your life. What Comes After can be read as a standalone but is book 2 and follows on from Ten Hours.

Abel Collins is trying to piece together is life after losing his first love. After leading a very lonely existence for the past 3 years in California he feels like it is time to move back home to be with his family and friends in C
Jasmine
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Abel Collins is lost and going through the motions of life. After losing his first love to cancer, he is a shell of his former self, is that enough to get through life. He wants more, but feels guilty, his friends and family want so much more for him and his life. But when the guilt take over, will Finley help guide him to where he needs to be? Will he listen to the signs she gives him? After 3 years of living in California, he knows it is time to go back home to Chicago. He wants to be around t ...more
Chelsia
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bawled reading Ten Hours, I bawled reading What comes after. I am so excited for everyone to get a chance to see Abel again. I tried to give this book a fair chance but I was torn at first, having Abel move on & without Finley.
Even with no Finely & the constant tears this book induced, Melissa Did an amazing job!

In Ten hours we meet Abel & Finley, who quickly fall in love & start Their happily ever after but Their lives start to crumble when Finley gets sick again & (despite all my tears & pr
Gladys
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a book that I was equal parts excited and afraid to read and there is a complicated reason why I felt that way. This book is a follow-up story to the book Ten Hours but it can also be read very easily as a standalone. I have read Ten Hours and normally this would be where I would tell you that I feel you should read that book first. However, I am going to surprise you and say I Do Not recommend that you read Ten Hours immediately before diving into this book. In fact, I would say read t ...more
Erin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fall in love with Abel all over again!
I didn't think my heart would ever recover from Ten Hours. What Comes After was exactly what I needed to repair that crack. I didn't realize how much it needed to be mended until reading it.
Abel and Peyton are two souls that share the same shade. Peyton is headstrong and independent which is exactly what may help Abel overcome his vulnerability. Abel...Oh Abel...my heart still ached for him. He was exactly as I remembered him, the stuff book boyfriends are
Julie Reveles (Juls ~ ILST BLOG)
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

What Comes After is exactly how that ending left me feeling. I loved Abel, and I just wanted more of what’s next! The ending also gave me goosebumps!! Plus, I have tears coming down my face. I don’t know how many times throughout this story I had a lump in my throat. It’s like I was trying to swallow a ball that I could barely get down. You will definitely want to grab some tissues prior to starting. That way you're nice and ready for this emotional roller coaster. I feel like I felt Abel’s pain
Johnaka- Amity Book Blog
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What Comes After by Melissa Toppen
“Moving on, 5 stars”

I would like to start off with telling you that I did not read Ten Hours before What Comes After and yet this story moved me. I’m honestly glad I read it how I did because I never knew who Abel was before his heartache. What Comes After is all about moving on after loss. Can you pick up the pieces? Will you love again? Is every love the same or can it be different? So many questions.
Peyton understands loss even though hers was different than
Becky Wise
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In order to get the full effect of What Comes After you should read 10 Hours first. This is the continuation of Abel's story. Your heart broke for Abel in 10 Hours and now this is what happens next. I love what Melissa Toppen gives us when it comes to Abel's story with not only getting to see how he heals but that glimpse of hope of love again. Abel is just so amazing even when he's lost his way since his wife Finley's death. You see him go through the motions and you feel the rawness of his emo ...more
Katie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
What Comes After
By Melissa Toppen
5 stars
Reviewed on behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Book Blog

After I realised that this book was the second in the series I still went ahead and read it as a standalone and whilst it read perfectly fine as one I then went back and read book 1 and it did make me see the characters in a different way but it was still absolutely one fantastic and very emotional read. My heart completely went out to Abel, I could really feel every emotion that he went through, the guil
Stacie Christensen
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life is full of many things.
Love.
Loss.
Heartbreak.
Laughter.
No matter how small, each moment has value.

Then there are the big moments.
The moments that define us.
And the people who shape our very existence.

Abel Collins is that person for me.
And he did.

But Abel isn’t just any man…

His past is his prison.
His guilt keeps him chained.
His grief defines him.

And now it’s up
Sara Gross
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first book in which we met Abel, Ten Hours, gutted me and I was not sure I would be up for anything else with Abel in it. What more could he go through? Was he ready to move on? Peyton meets Abel and can relate a little bit to what he is going through with the loss of his wife, Finley. She lost her mom when she a teenager. Abel was not sure he was ready to meet anyone or move on, now or ever, and he and Peyton developed a nice friendship... where they of course, started to have feelings and ...more
Kari Hansen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When we met Abel in Ten Hours we got to know and love the caring and swoon-worthy man he truly is when he found love and gave his whole heart and soul to a woman that he knew he wouldn’t have forever. Three years later he is still drowning with grief and guilt, but he knows he needs to try and build a new life and that means moving back to Chicago to be close to his family.

Peyton has her own painful past that she is dealing with. She meets Abel as they are both involved in the same wedding. She
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Treacherous
  • Malicious
  • Wait For Me
  • Sex. Love. Marriage.
  • Forever and All the Afters
  • Inhale, Exhale. (Hollow Ridge #1)
  • Just Breathe Again
  • Hold on to Hope
  • Saving Barrette
  • Incomplete
  • The Life That Mattered (Life, #1)
  • Tempted By My Roommate (Brooksville, #2)
  • Game Changer (Change of Hearts, #1)
  • Before You
  • Just Ten Seconds
  • Release
  • Violent Triumphs (White Monarch, #3)
  • My Best Mistake
Melissa Toppen is a USA Today Bestselling Author who specializes in New Adult and Contemporary Romance. She is a lover of books and enjoys nothing more than losing herself in a good novel. She has a soft spot for Romance and focuses her writing in that direction; writing what she loves to read.
Melissa resides in Cincinnati Ohio with her husband and two children, where she writes full time.

Connect

Ten Hours (2 books)
  • Ten Hours (Ten Hours, #1)