Start by marking “The Perfect Mother” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Mother

The Perfect Mother

She thought they wanted her baby. But they won’t stop there.

Roz is young, penniless and pregnant. All she wants is to be the perfect mother to her child, but the more she thinks about her own chaotic upbringing, the more certain she is that the best life for her baby is as far away as possible from her hometown in Ireland.

Determined to do the right thing, Roz joins an

Published January 14th 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Mother, please sign up.
Janelle Comrie Too funny. Obviously an editing fail modifying to US audience but forgot to adjust numbers to reflect.
…more
(less)

Start your review of The Perfect Mother
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bang! Bang! Bang! Nobody’s knocking on heaven’s door! Zrrrrrrr!!! Nope, the postman also does not ring twice! The all special voice effects I wrote in words are coming from my head! I’m banging it against the wall and then resting it to the TV for making some kind of Poltergeist-ic connection to be more intelligent but nothing changed so far! Let’s drink!

Of course I’m punishing myself because this book is waiting too long on my dashboard and it deserves more attention because it’ s really fascin
Berit☀️✨
Well HOT damn! This was a WILD RIDE! Caroline mitchell has twisted the twisted! A deliciously disturbing page turner that completely sucked me in. Roz is in her early 20s a little uncertain of what she wants from her future when she finds herself pregnant. The one thing she knows is nobody can find out who the father is and that she is not ready to raise a baby. Roz signs up to an elite adoption service and soon fines that a rich famous “diamond“ couple is interested in her baby. Convinced that ...more
Ceecee
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard one to rate as it’s, to quote the cliche, a game of two halves. The start is four star as are a few other sections, the end is two star as is some dialogue, so let’s settle for three stars!! Twenty four year old Irish girl Rosalind (Roz) Foley finds she is pregnant after a one night stand. Her circumstances mean that it is difficult for her to keep the baby and so she signs up to website Miracle Moms to seek an adoptive couple. She chooses an NYC based pair who turn out to be cele ...more
Louise Wilson
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A young pregnant woman moves to New York to meet what she Hope's will be the perfect couple to look after her new born baby. Ut it's not long before she discovers that all is ot what she expected it to be. Could her life be in danger?

The story starts off as a it of a slow burner. But the pace does pick up as the story progresses. This is a tense and suspenseful read. I really felt for Roz, a naive young girl who only wanted thr best for her unborn baby. Then the way she was treated by the couple
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
The Perfect Mother is fantastic!! I love Caroline Mitchell's police procedural books and this stand alone story is just as addictive. I read this over just a few nights, needing to know how it was all going to end up for Roz. It is a twisty and surprising read, not at all predictable. I highly recommend you pick this book up as soon as you can!!

The story begins in Ireland and a young girl named Roz. She has just lost her job and finds herself pregnant after a one night stand. She is not ready to
Dash fan
5☆ A Taut, Unsettling, Gripping Psychological Thriller that was simply Unputdownable!

Wow what a thoroughly gripping and unsettling psychological thriller. One I'll be remembering for a very long time!

Just the opening prologue alone had me completely absorbed!

Roz has just found out she's pregnant. With no job and no money to pay her best friend rent money and revealing the father's identity would create chaos.
She takes desperate measures and seeks out a way to give her baby up for adoption and th
Liz
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I’ve been a big fan of Caroline Mitchell, reading both her Amy Winter and Ruby Preston series. This stand alone takes on a young pregnant woman who decides to give up her baby rather than attempt to raise it alone. Through an elite adoption service, she is paired with a celebrity couple. She moves into their basement for the term of her pregnancy. We learn early on that things are not what they seem.

This book is all about the story. The characters seem more caricature than real life. It’s fast
Bridgett
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Meh.

An interesting premise which could have been amazing, but simply wasn't. Prepare yourselves for horribly cheesy dialogue and a large dose of suspension of belief.

And that's really all I have to say about that...

**Many thanks to the publisher for my review copy.
Mark
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roz a penniless Irish girl suddenly pregnant
Sheridan, half of a Hollywood power couple, unable to have children and desperate to
Neither of them are a ‘perfect mother’ and neither of them would ever meet normally
But this is book world and they do via an anon ‘you have your baby, we keep it, heres a zillion dollars’ kind of web site

So, Roz goes over to NY and it all seems perfect, her life is going to be wonderful, money, clothes, the finest Dr’s.....all seems too good to be true, and, of course i
megs_bookrack
In 2019, I read The Perfect Girlfriend, The Perfect Wife and The Perfect Son.

Obviously, I am intrigued by The Perfect Mother.

Could this be the perfect 2020 read? Maybe, maybe not...
Ankit Garg
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
"The Perfect Mother" by Caroline Mitchell is the perfect choice (no pun intended) for the fans of suspense thriller genre. If your mother recommended the book to you, she is the perfect mother recommending a perfect book which acknowledges her perfectness while actually talking about the perfection of a fictional character at the same time. If she didn't, you can be the perfect kid by recommending it to her, but only if she is into suspense thrillers.

It was a breezy read. The simple narration co
Gary
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of Caroline Mitchell's writing and enjoy her detective novels so it was intriguing to read this novel which is slightly different to her normal format.
A young woman named Roz is trying to make her way in her hometown in Ireland when she expectantly falls pregnant. She doesn't want people to know the identity of the father and she has no money so the future is not looking too bright for a this young catholic girl. She is convinced that it is best if her unborn child is adopted. Roz
Amanda
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t resist this book, with a tag line that says “They want her baby. Do they also want her life?” I was very excited to get started!!

When Roz 24 finds out she is pregnant after a one night stand, she tells her best friend Dympna, but does not say who the babies father is. She joins Miracle Moms website, where wannabe parents adopt babies.

Roz has a message from a diamond member, which means they are a celebrity and are a millionaire with more than one property. What could go wrong?

Roz fi
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
45716458._SY475_

This was a good thriller with twists and turns, it was also an easy page-turner.
Rosalind Foley 24 is broke and single she's also pregnant.
Sheridan Sinclair and Daniel Wilson are Hollywoods hottest power couple there also looking for a baby girl to pass off as there own as Sheridan is unable to have children herself.
A perfect fit and when they are put in touch by an exclusive adoption and surrogacy website it seems like all Roz's prayers for her child's future have been answered.
But be careful wh
Jenny
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a saying that goes if something is too good to be true, it probably is. So when 24 year old, Roz, who is pregnant and broke, finds out that a famous and wealthy couple want to adopt her child, she thinks this is the perfect solution. The chance to give her baby the life she can't and the opportunity to leave her hometown in Ireland and jettison to the bright lights of New York.
She meets Sheridan and Daniel, the glamorous and famous couple, who are eager for another addition to their fam
Angela Marsons
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Phew!!! I stayed up way later into the night than I should have done but I just couldn't put this book down until I knew the end and I was not disappointed. I really felt for Roz who wanted only the best for her unborn baby but boy did she get more than she asked for. Anyone wanting lessons in how to paint a true narcissist should take notes on this author's portrayal of Sheridan who just made my heart beat so fast with tension every time she was on the page. I have come to expect the masterful ...more
Samantha Gonsalves
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Ever since I discovered the work of Caroline Mitchell, I've been a big fan! I've been following the Ruby Preston and Amy Winters series and have been blown away with each of the books. The Perfect Mother is not part of any series but is a suspenseful and captivating read! though there were parts of the book that were guessed correctly by me, I enjoyed the book from the start until the finish. Unlike the series she writes, that are rife with mind-blowing twists, this book was a bit more predictab ...more
Pauline
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
When she finds out that she is pregnant after a one night stand Roz is in shock. She has no job and shares a flat with her friend.
She decides the best thing for her child is to have it adopted. She joins an upmarket group online to find a suitable match, looking for a rich family to pay her expenses and take her baby when it is born.
Roz is about the regret her decision.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Hans
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Caroline Mitchell. This is not her most perfect book however. At times I felt it was drawn out and even a bit farfetched.
Susan Hunter
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've never been disappointed with any book I have read by Caroline Mitchell and this standalone psychological thriller is no exception. The plot involving a young woman selling her baby to famous celebrities is a real page turner. I had no idea as to what the outcome would be , but it was certainly a taut, tense and intriguing journey finding out. ...more
Andi
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Caroline's police procedurals and was excited to see a different style of book.
The characters bring out all of your emotions, pity, disgust, antipathy and amazement.
It has a few twists in the book, some I was expecting and some that were a shock.

Ideal for people who love domestic noir.
Heidi
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
I’m not sure how I feel about this book. On one hand, it has an intriguing, original premise and is a crazy wild ride from start to finish. On the other hand, it is extremely unbelievable and none of the characters quite rang true for me. Sometimes a crazy wild ride works for me, and sometimes it doesn’t, and sadly this one falls into the second category for me (which is why it has taken me so long to get it off my TBR pile).

In a nutshell, a young, unwed Irish girl decides to give up her baby fo
Lou
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Perfect Mother is international bestselling writer Caroline Mitchell's third and latest standalone psychological thriller crossed with a domestic/family drama, and although the title and synopsis are both pretty standard when it comes to this genre this is actually a book with a lot more substance to it than its competitors. Roz is barely surviving the day-to-day, and quite frankly wouldn't be if it wasn't for her invaluable friends looking out for her, so when she gets pregnant she naturall ...more
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
I really liked the premise of this book but unfortunately the execution failed. It bordered on ridiculous and I was shaking my head so often I am surprised I don't have whiplash. The uneven pace seemed to have a lot of scene fillers that didn’t advance plot or characters and I honestly didn’t feel any tension in the story.

I really wanted to like this book and I was hoping it was one of those eye openers, start a conversation type of books. Surrogacy, adoption and infertility are major issues. U
Karen R
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Far-fetched but even so, a page-turner that I couldn’t put down…until the last 100 pages. At this point it fizzled and never fully recovered. The story seemed to drag and I no longer felt the love for Roz. I enjoy twisty endings and admit this book had one, yet it also left me underwhelmed.
Cat
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cringe when I have to write a review for a book that just didn’t do it for me. I feel bad for the author; I can appreciate all the hard work that goes into such a huge undertaking. But I remind myself (1) I promised to be honest in my reviews and (2) that’s why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style. The plot is good and believable. My big turn-off is the weak lead female Roz. She is just too gullible, too slow, too trusting to be responsible for herse
Adele Shea
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Caroline Mitchell’s The Perfect Mother is an edge of your seat read from start to finish. The storyline is fantastic and it draws you in from the beginning.
Ruthy lavin
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s a good read although a little predictable.
It took me longer than usual to read so I think that’s a good indication of how exciting it is. It deserves 3 stars because many fans of general fiction will love it, but I’ve already read much more gripping fiction stories this year.
Joelle Egan
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It appears that Caroline Mitchell, author of the The Perfect Mother and other previous thrillers and works of psychological suspense, made a good decision when she switched from being CID to becoming a full-time author. Her latest release is a tense and twisty novel that offers some good character development and solid plotting to counteract a small bit of predictability and repetition. Roz is living in Dublin with her best friend when she discovers that she is pregnant after a secret one-night ...more
Shalini
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, what a ride of a book!

Roz was broke and pregnant. She knew she couldn't provide the best for her child. So, she went online and tried to find the perfect parents who'd adopt her child for money. And it turned out to be a celebrity couple. Actors Daniel and Sheridan in America seemed to be the best choice, and talks with them made her feel Sheridan would be the perfect mother. But was she?

My second book by author Caroline Mitchell, and it was thrilling and so addictive. I couldn't stop readin

• The Liar's Sister
  • Long Bright River
  • The Rival
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • The Verdict
  • The God Game
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • This Little Dark Place
  • Pretty Things
  • The Missing Sister
  • The Lost Ones
  • Dead Inside (DC Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • Lock Me In
  • A Deathly Silence (DCI Helen Lavery #3)
  • The Last Wife
  • She Died Famous
  • The Prized Girl
  • Dear Edward
USA Today and Global #1 Bestselling Thriller Author.

Caroline originates from Ireland and now lives with her family in a pretty village on the coast of Essex. A former police detective, Caroline has worked in CID and specialised in roles dealing with vulnerable victims, high-risk victims of domestic abuse, and serious sexual offences. She now writes full time.
Set in Shoreditch, London, her DS Ruby