Start by marking “Burn” as Want to Read:
Burn

Burn

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  5,209 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews
On a cold Sunday evening in early 1957, Sarah Dewhurst waited with her father in the parking lot of the Chevron Gas Station for the dragon he’d hired to help on the farm.

This dragon, Kazimir, has more to him than meets the eye. Sarah can’t help but be curious about him, an animal who supposedly doesn’t have a soul but is seemingly intent on keeping her safe from the brutal
Published June 2nd 2020 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about Burn, please sign up.
Michael Cattigan I'd say it is a quite mature book with violence (a vast number of dead bodies) and the sexual content which is not graphic but, Ness being Ness, is no…moreI'd say it is a quite mature book with violence (a vast number of dead bodies) and the sexual content which is not graphic but, Ness being Ness, is not shied away from either. I'd agree that 14+ is about right, but perhaps with caution depending on the nature of the child.(less)
Christina Although it leaves you wanting more!

·  5,209 ratings  ·  1,233 reviews

Start your review of Burn
chai ♡
Feb 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
it is my professional opinion that society is collapsing because we stopped writing books and making movies about dragons and I'm glad Patrick Ness is taking the necessary steps to remedy that ...more
Kai
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, queer
I honestly don't know what to do with this book. Finished it yesterday and just couldn't make my mind up about it. It's definitely a Patrick Ness novel in all its originality and weirdness. It reminds me of Release in that two separate stories are being told in one book. And of course, it's gay, even though the blurb might not make it seems that way. My problem, I think, was that there was a disconnect.

I'll try and explain why but I can't guarantee that I'll do a good job. The first thing that
NReads
Mar 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
so dragons are the new wave?
C.G. Drews
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I finished this one a few days ago and had to just sit on it a while and collect all my feelings. I truly believe Ness books are always this exquisite mix of the unique, bizarre and heartfelt aching. This one is set in the 1950s and it's strange, so so strange. But honestly enthralling. The mid-point left me utterly breathless. It's one of those books you cannot predict and I actually enjoy being left to the whims of an author instead of guessing how it'll all turn out by the end (I read a lot, ...more
The Burning Rose (Jess)
Patrick Ness + dragons = a wish came true even though I did not ask for it. 😍
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
here's where i would make a joke about his name being "Ness" and writing a book about dragons...

but i got nothing

so here's a gif:

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Becca & The Books
Content Warning in Spoilers - (view spoiler)

Patrick Ness weaves dragons into 1950s rural America in his newest YA release.

I really enjoyed the writing and world of this book, I expected the inclusion of dragons in a somewhat recent historical setting to be quite jarring but I liked how they were woven into the world and learning about the background and political structure of a world that humanity has to share with majestic winged beasts.
Sam
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, read-in-2020
What a unique, different kind of book. But I expect nothing less from Patrick Ness.

I was intrigued when this was first announced, because Patrick Ness + dragons. And then throw in a prophecy about the end of the world, an assassin, and two FBI agents as well. Strange, right? But strange in the best way possible.

I like how Patrick Ness is able to create such diverse casts of characters, and it’s no different here. For the most part the characters were well developed and felt real. Malcolm was my
Vee
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm also a book blogger: Vee_Bookish
(ARC provided by NetGalley, my opinions are unbiased)

You never quite know what to expect from Patrick Ness book, leaving me to believe that he is either a robot controlled by several gnomes, or experimenting with different hallucinogenics. Burn is yet again, another unique book, about Dragons. In 50s America.

It's very much the 50s we know, including the racism, but it has dragons it. Somehow this never feels shoehorned in, it just works seamlessly. We have a
Dannii Elle
Dragons are for sale, but only to those poverty-stricken enough to have no other option than to accept their cheap rates for services and deal with their abhorred race. Sarah and her father own a farm and a rare blue dragon may be their only hope for keeping it. Soon, however, it seems this dragon has been sent to them to perform more than just the clearing of a few fields and may be the only hope for humanity’s salvation, in general.

Ness has such a skill for seamlessly blending reality with mor
Bookish Pengu
Oct 15, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, goal-2021
It's Patrick Ness. It has dragons in it. So of course I have to read it. ...more
Donna
Jun 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I had to stop reading this book at the two thirds mark which I think is plenty far to be able to judge it without forcing myself to read a page more of it. First, let me say that this is the fifth book I’ve read by this author, so I thought I knew what to expect from him. Adding the summary of this book to my expectations, I was ready to read a fantasy story with some depth and social consciousness, one that featured a dragon that might be fearsome, but protective toward a young girl at the cent ...more
Elizabeth Sagan
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review coming soon
Whispering Stories
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

Set in 1950s America at a time when humans and dragons co-exist. We meet young Sarah Dewhurst and her father who is waiting for the arrival of a dragon that will help them on their farm, as they are much cheaper than people. The dragon, a Russian Blue named Kazimir is there though to protect Sarah and to save the world.

In Canada, a young teenage ‘Believer’ (Dragon worshippers) called Malcolm has been given orders by his goddess to head to America and to
Matthew
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, arc, favorites
‘We are in the hands of Goddesses and madmen, Sarah Dewhurst.’

‘Burn’ is one of those books where I think it’s best to go into it knowing as little as possible. It’s set in an alternate 1950s America during the Cold War and Sarah Dewhurst’s father has just hired a dragon to help on their farm. The Dragon has motives other than the money he will be paid though, Sarah is mentioned in a prophecy that could mean the end of the world.

I’d argue that there isn’t really a main character in ‘Burn’, it fel
Missie ☆
Ok, so I need to start reading more Patrick Ness books. Like, has his books just been hiding from me or...?
(view spoiler)
After reading this, I admit I am a little obsessed with dragons. I think a re-binge of "The Dragon Prince" on Netflix is necessary. Or maybe I should re-watch of "How To Train Your Dragon". Toothless is my dream pet, and I won't be satisfied in the pet department until I have one.
description["br"]>["br
Snjez
Jul 04, 2020 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
dnf @ 70%

I'm giving up. It's too heavy and dark for me at the moment.
Mari
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it

I'm having a hard time processing this one. The premise was wild and engaging, but the plot was convoluted and confusing. The characters were a little empty to me, and I'm not sure what this story was trying to say. There was some commentary via a bigoted deputy in a small town, but those parts just made me uncomfortable, particularly because we get some of the story from this deputy's point of view, and we're mostly told HE'S ANGRY, SEE? Like sure, anger feeds racism, thanks for sharing, I gues
Giulia
"Dragon magic is wild."

TW: racism, blood, gore, attempted rape, homophobia, police brutality, bullying, grief

Unpopular Opinion Time 🐸☕️

Actual rating: 2.5 ⭐️

It is with a heavy heart that I am telling you that this time, Patrick Ness missed the mark.
I am a huge fan of his writing style and his storytelling, but this novel did not deliver.

You know when you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet and you fill your plate so much it challenges all the laws of physics?
Yeah, that was this book.
This was a lot
Katie.dorny
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq
This was not it for Patrick Ness. This was a hell of a hot mess.

Weird story that never really stuck; and that’s coming from someone who has loved his other work. The story was never really established well enough for me to make it believable. Nor was it well thought out and detailed background provided. We just dove in and had to just believe without being given anything to actually believe in.

Characters were okay - all a bit slap dash and whizzed through quickly and nothing really clicked or
Alayne Emmett
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow this book was fantastic. It read like a thrilling fast moving film, in fact it should be a film!!!!
It took off on page one and didn’t let up until the last page. I am devastated that I’ve finished it and, as I shut this wonderful book my thoughts were will there be another one? I certainly hope so!!!
bookellenic
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-e-arcs
Full review on my blog.
Instagram | Twitter| Facebook

3.5/5 rounded up to 4 stars.
Would I suggest you reading it? Yes.

I often want to rate Patrick Ness book slightly more than I end up doing, but I keep on reading his books, so I guess there is something there. I'm just always left... Wanting a bit more.
This time, its message turned out to be eerily prophetic and at the same time displaying patterns and behaviours that have been happening since the dawn of humankind.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

ME:  Eh I don't know if I like dragons, but it's Patrick Ness so let's try.

ME, AFTER: Wow so I love dragons and obviously Patrick Ness.

There is SO much that I loved about this book that I cannot even tell you for the sake of spoilers. Places I did not see things going. And like, it's seriously SO GREAT so can you just trust me? Awesome thanks. Here's what I can tell you:

►Alternate 19
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
Sometimes you just have to feel bad about a thing. Sometimes that's the only thing that makes you human.

On my blog.

Actual rating 4.5

Rep: biracial (Black, white) mc, Japanese American mc, gay mc, Guatemalan Canadian gay mc

CWs: period typical racism and homophobia, blood, gore, violence

Galley provided by publisher

It would be fair to say Patrick Ness ranks as one of my favourite authors ever. I’m not sure, in the almost ten years I’ve been reading his books, I’ve ever disliked a book he has
vatana 🤡 who is bad at reading
well, i said i’d read anything this man writes.
Bridget
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelves
Like I always do with a Patrick Ness, I had pre-ordered this and I had some worries going into it because the last couple of books haven't been my faves. I was so hoping he wouldn't disappoint me with this one. And he hasn't. This is a return to form. I think what works best for this author is when he doesn't try to do too much with his stories. This one is a dual storyline but it is way more successful in this novel than in Release. You know that these stories are going to combine and you just ...more
Annette
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookbox-books
And once more Book Box Club got me a book that I wouldn't have bought myself. Of course, I had seen this book on the internet already. I know quite a few people who were really looking forward to this one and I came across it while making my wishlist for June. However, for some reason this book didn't really speak to me and I don't know why. Sometimes it happens. I read a blurb and somehow I kinda know that it's not gonna be my new favorite book.

Let me start this review with saying that this is
Ashley
Oct 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
OMFG. *no words*
Beckee❤️
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, so I quite enjoyed this. This was my first treasure by Mr Ness and where better to start than with alternative worlds featuring dragons and magic?!
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

[This rating keeps changing in my head- I need some time to sit & think on this one.

what a strange, strange,
(still AMAZING though!)
strange,
Oh so difficult to rate, read lol
Patrick Ness has a very eclectic, eccentric, super difficult to rate writing style, soo yeah RTC

Regardless, I realize that that sounds negative, but it is NOT at all. It is just that this is a read that really makes you think, and to inevitably ponder the meaning of life, Lol, as all of Ness’s work te
mdoiqmoijhq 1 1 Nov 17, 2020 12:58AM
Shoulders to be relaxed and less tension 1 4 Jul 14, 2020 01:52AM
Burn by Patrick Ness 1 5 Jun 26, 2020 07:26AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Burn by Patrick Ness - Starting 4th May 2020 14 16 May 21, 2020 03:35AM

• Les Miserables
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Last
  • La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea
  • Never Let Me Go
  • The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe
  • Where Monsters Lie
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Lanny
  • The Captain and the Glory: An Entertainment
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Redhead by the Side of the Road
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • The Bad Seed
  • Here We Are
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the C

Articles featuring this book

As dedicated readers already know, some of the best and most innovative stories on the shelves come from the constantly evolving realm of young...
“I'm just a girl."
"It is tragic how well you have been taught to say that with sadness rather than triumph.”
27 likes
“He was the thing the world had suffered from most in her four billion years of existence: a stupid man with power.” 17 likes