Start by marking “The Secret” as Want to Read:
The Secret

The Secret

You turn your back for a minute. And now your son is in terrible danger …

Louise is struggling to cope.  As a busy working mum, she often has to leave her eight-year-old son Archie at her sister Alice’s flat.

Alice and Louise used to be close.  But there’s a lot they don’t know about each other now - like the bottle of vodka Louise hides in her handbag, Alice’s handsome new
Audible Audio
Published February 9th 2018 by Audible Studiosb

To ask other readers questions about The Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret

Holly  B
Heart-stirring from start to finish!

When I want to get lost in a book, I can't think of anything more addicting than K.L. Slater's psychological novels, and this one did not disappoint (my fourth one). The Secret is full of sneak peeks into other people's lives and motivations for doing some less than honorable things. I did not see the end coming, and it couldn't have been more perfect!

The author created some unique characters with distinct personalities with the two sisters Louise and Alice.
Carrie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Having read several of K.L. Slater’s previous psychological thrillers I knew that I was going to be in for one good read with The Secret and thankfully I was right. The Secret took only a few page turns to pull me in and easily became one of those books you just don’t want to put down until the end.

The story is about two sisters, Alice and Louise, and switches the point of view between them while also flashing back at various times in their lives. Louise is the married, confident, working mother
Helga
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some secrets are not safe to keep.

Archie, Alice’s 8 year old nephew, has a secret. A secret which could cause irreparable damage if revealed. He has seen something, something awful and the dark shadow of this secret follows him everywhere.
Alice has agreed to take care of Archie while his mother Louise, Alice’s sister, attends early morning or late night meetings. As their relationship develops, Alice notices that Archie is withdrawn, worried and afraid all the time. She resolves to get to the b
Gary
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 6th book I have read by author Kim Slater and I can honestly say she never lets me down. This is another excellent psychological thriller and yet again I was totally gripped.
This is a story of two sisters Louise and Alice, Louise is a working mother who has debt and very little time for her son Archie. Alice on the other-hand is housebound, short of confidence and is more than willing to spend time with Archie. Her life is spent watching a stranger in a tram from her living room wind
Carolyn
Alice and Louise are sisters, but very different personalities. Alice was a confident assistant in a popular art gallery when she experienced a bad car accident that killed her boyfriend and left her with injuries and anxiety to the point where she rarely leaves the house. She enjoys watching the trams go past her window and has started watching out for a particular man on the tram every morning. Louise, her older sister is bossy and controlling and despite a disastrous first marriage to a con m ...more
Angela Marsons
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to get an early copy of this book. I got up early and worked hard on my edits so I could just read and relax, enjoying every single word, guilt free. From the very first page I was captivated by the stories of Alice, Louise and especially, Archie who I absolutely adored. Every time I pick up one of this author's books I am immediately drawn into the mystery and suspense that she weaves from the very first page. I find myself wanting to know every single thing about every charact ...more
Pauline
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I always enjoy K. L. Slater books and was delighted to get a ARC of her new book The Secret. This was a good psychological thriller with many twists and turns.
Alice is almost housebound after an accident and is too nervous to go out. Her sister Louise takes advantage of this situation to gets Alice to look after Archie her eight year old son. Alice and Archie become closer the more time they spend together and it becomes clear that the child is being bullied by someone and Alice decides to get t
Sarah Joint
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my sixth read by K.L. Slater, and I'm happy to say it didn't let me down. The Secret only cemented that automatic reaction I have that grabs a new book by her as soon as I see it. At times it moves quite slowly without a lot of action, but we learn so much about the characters and the suspense was definitely enough to keep my attention. This one ended up being hard to predict for me, and I'm very satisfied with the ending. I'm happy that I grabbed it because of the author and didn't read ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'If Mum couldn't look after me any more, would I have to go and live in a children's home?'

'What? Where's that come from? I laugh softly and put my arm around him, pulling him closer to me. 'I don't know where this is going, but the answer is no, of course not. If there's some reason your mum couldn't look after you, you'd come and live with me.'

'Because we're family.'

'Too right.' I grin. 'And after everything we've been through, we want no more secrets ever, right?'

'Right,' Archie says
Jill McGill
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great psychological thriller by K.L. Slater that pulled me in right from the spine-chilling prologue!

The Secret is about two sisters, Alice and Louise, who could not be more different. Alice suffers horribly from anxiety and rarely leaves her apartment that she used to share with her mother before she passed away. Louise is Alice's very confident older sister, she is the mother of 8-year-old Archie, a wife, and a very busy businesswoman. Alice and Louise used to be very close. But now, L
Selena
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free e-copy of The Secret by K.L. Slater from NetGalley for my honest review.

Louise and Alice are sisters but they are not very close. Alice has been looking after Archie, Louise's son. As she spends more time with him she discovers he is keeping a secret. Now she is trying to find a way to get him to tell her the secret he is not supposed to tell anyone. The secret he is keeping is hurting Archie. It is affecting his mood as he is angry and he is withdrawn.

This psychological thril
Lou
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a long-time fan of K. L. Slater and having enjoyed her previous titles I was eager to read this one. She is particularly adept at creating engaging and well developed characters that you actually care about - that continues in the book. The relationship betweem Alice and Archie is beautiful and they are both likable and realistic. Then there's Archie's mother, Louise, is not at all likeable and dumps all of her problems on sister Alice.

My first thought when I saw the title was "Oh, not anot
Mandy White
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
KL Slater is on my list of authors that I have to read whenever a new book comes out. The Secret did not disappoint with its suck you in storyline that was begging to be finished!

Sisters Louise and Alice could not be more different. Louise is the elegant and successful one with her big house, great job, husband and son. Alice is scared to leave the house and anxious. Alice spent the past few years caring for their ill mother until she died. They both have their secrets from each other and the w
Shalini
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Kim Slater's book; her books are twisty, mysterious, and loads of fun. Trying to play detective while reading such books has become my favorite past time. A good side-effect of reading thrillers!!

This book too has its moments of secrets coming out as anger, like lava from the volcano. One spark and there are fireworks. The story is a slow start with Alice and Louise's points of view. It does go into the past frequently which disrupted my flow and concentration (my niggles)

Ali
Eva
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do so enjoy Kim Slater’s books. I’ve come to rely on her to always deliver a great twisty and tense psychological thriller that’ll keep me entertained for hours and The Secret did exactly that.

The prologue already sent a chill down my spine when Archie stumbles upon something he wasn’t supposed to see. Eighteen months later, eight year old Archie is still fiercely holding on to the secret but things are starting to take its toll.

For the most part, The Secret is a cleverly constructed and chara
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
2.5 Stars
This book was ALL over the place. Twenty years ago, ten years ago, five years ago, three years ago, 18 months ago, back and forth. I usually like when books have different time lines but there were too many in this case. It wasn't hard to keep everything together but it seemed the author couldn't decide who the main characters were and what main story she was trying to tell. I absolutely hated Louise and how she belittled Alice and her anxiety/mental health issues; and I felt so bad for
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
K.L. Slater is an author whose books are a must read as soon as I hear of them coming out. I know I am guaranteed a dark and gripping read and The Secret was certainly that. In fact I would go as far as saying that this book is my favourite out of the authors so far.

The story is mainly told from Alice's point of view with brief flick backs to the past. There is something in Alice's past that has made her become a bit of a recluse and I was very intrigued to know why. Louise is the total opposit
Erin Clemence
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for a free, electronic copy of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

After the death of their mother, sisters Alice and Louise have been struggling to save their already-dying relationship. Louise is overcome by stressors from her new job, along with trying to raise her young son while Alice deals with crippling anxiety and physical pain which has prevented her from leaving the house in years. When Alice is unexpectedly left to care for
Lisa
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so lucky to get an Advanced reading copy of 'The Secret' and I devoured it in a couple of days.

I never like the phrase 'easy read' because I know there is no such thing as an 'easy write' but the way this is written makes it enjoyable to soak up the words without confusion. The Plotline is filled with suspense and drama and each character is filled with a mysterious and interesting history that unravels through the chapters.

All the characters are generally likable in the beginning stages
Mark
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hey, well K.L.Slater has a great rep as a psychological thriller writer and I have enjoyed her previous 5 books so I knew the book would be good, and it is, its good!
In a swamped book arena of ‘secrets’ I thought it was quite brave to call the book ‘the secret’ as when I saw it I thought ‘oh, another one’....
but as the book starts you realise its exactly the right title as the characters lives in the book are all based on ‘secrets’....
Louise n Alice are sisters, but completely different....Lou
Book Addict Shaun
K.L. Slater’s books are always a little bit hit and miss for me, I either really enjoy them or really dislike them and unfortunately with The Secret, it was the latter.

It starts off quite well with us following sisters Alice and Louise, with us finding out that Louise’s son Archie has a terrible secret that nobody must ever find out. As the story progresses it seems that every single character has secrets and something to hide. The word I would choose to describe this book overall is, boring. T
Chloe
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Alice and Louise ,two sisters lead completely different lives. Alice is homebound and suffers through anxiety attacks meanwhile Louise is a married, hardworking mother who feels Alice has it too easy.Taking advantage of Alice’s situation Louise often asks her to take care of her 8 year old son Archie.Soon Alice starts noticing signs that something or someone is troubling Archie and she plans to get to the bottom of the problem.

The Secret by K.L.Slater is a gripping , tense ,psychological thrille
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Bookoutre for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Kim Slater Is one of my favourite authors, I have previously read four of her books and I have happily given them five star reviews.

After reading the prologue to The Secret I was gripped. Eight year old Archie was playing at his grandmas flat. On his way to the toilet he saw something that scared him, frightened he promised the person he would keep it secret.

Alice is Archie`s Auntie. She is house bound
Michelle
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review can also be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC copy of this book to read and review.

This was the first book by K.L. Slater that I have read and let me tell you that it won’t be my last. I’ve read many wonderful reviews on this and other books by K.L. Slater so I was very excited to begin reading this book. I was not disappointed.

This book follows the story of two sisters Alice and Louise and Louise’s son Archie.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Oh, I had really high hopes for this novel. It starts off really interesting, leaving the reader with questions and curiosity around the plot. I was originally really hooked in and excited about where it would go.

The middle third of the book just slowed right down and that made my interest levels drop. It seemed like a lot of filling in and contained mostly everyday things that seemed to be out of alignment with the beginning of the book.

I thought the last third would be the great finale. Not to
Els
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be carefull when you pick someone to believe ...

My first K.L. Slater and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first page already gives you the creeps but when you read on, it feels a bit like a love story. BUT don't let yourself be fooled by this!! You will soon find out that there is a lot more going on.

It refreshing the way the story was built. You went back and forth in time but not in the usual way. The present was a fluent line, but you were thrown back to different events in the past happening at
Maranda
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Not sure why I keep picking up these psychological thrillers when they really do not appeal to me. This is narrated in a back and forth time lapse way with different character POV. Although everthing was made clear by the end I just did not enjoy the book as a whole. K.L. Slater does have a talent for this type of read and is shown to be a skilled author. So....If the dark shadow books are your thing then you might want to sample this one. "This book was provided by Bookouture via Netgalley with ...more
Wendi Lee
*4.5 stars*

I’ve read a handful of Slater’s novels, and I think this is the best one yet! It centers on sisters Louise and Alice. Alice suffers from agoraphobia after the tragic death of her boyfriend. Louise is career-driven, married, and raising an eight year old, Max. As she starts relying on Alice for impromptu babysitting, Alice slowly realizes that something is horribly wrong with her nephew and perhaps even her sister.

This was a twisty psychological thriller. I love how my perspective of
Julie Lacey
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secret is a great book which will have you questioning the truth.
Alice suffers from ME and can’t work so her sister Louise uses her as a babysitter for her 8 year old son Archie.
At the beginning of the book we learn that it’s Archie who knows a secret, but it’s not until the end of the book that we find out what the secret is.
This really kept my interest and along with the flashback chapters from both Louise and Alice’s past, you realise that both sisters have had their problems.
Someone
OutlawPoet
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, there’s more than one secret here – and not one of them was anything I expected.

Expect some truly stunning surprises and an extremely suspenseful read.

You should know that our main character is kind of neurotic (okay, not kind of – extremely!), but she’s very likable and I kept hoping that things would turn out well for her. I won’t tell you if they do – just know that certain things are going to surprise you immensely.

As for the main secret – I did not see that coming!

I enjoyed this treme

• The Night She Died
  • The Warning
  • Her Final Hour (Detective Gina Harte, #2)
  • A Mother’s Sacrifice
  • When I Find You
  • I Know You
  • Hide and Seek
  • Strictly Professional (Strictly Professional, #1)
  • I, Witness (Madison Attallee, #1)
  • Apple of My Eye
  • The Memory
  • The Second Wife
  • Forget My Name
  • Too Close
  • Day of the Accident
  • Eyes of the Predator: The Pickham County Murders (The Hunters #1)
  • The Pool House
  • The Pact
Kim is the million-copy bestselling author of seven psychological crime thrillers. Her eighth thriller, FINDING GRACE, will be published 14th February 2019 and is now available for pre-order.

Kim's titles are also published in paperback by Sphere in the UK and Grand Central in the USA.

For many years, Kim sent her work out to literary agents and collected an impressive stack of rejection slips. At